Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th June 2008, 17:00   #421
BHPian

Default The A pillar, a Trans snatch and minor grumbles

It's happened once, and I thought it was just something I missed. Then it happened again. And, to add insult to injury, it recurred. The damned A pillar causes a blind spot. Quite a BIG blind spot.
First time round it hid an auto for a frightening millisecond or two, while lurking in the second was a cyclist held in abeyance, that pounced on me and frightened the living daylights out of me. Guess we just need to programme it into a driving style. I don't know whether it's because the pillar is extra thick (if it is) or just that the bit it blanks off for a fraction is caused by awkward positioning relative to the driving seat- either way, 2 o'clock can hold some spooky visitors not to mention a shot of adrenaline.

Watch out.

Anyone felt this or is it only my car? Pottering along in 1st or 2nd at very low-but not stalling- speeds. Lift off the gas, and she jerks melodramatically, yanking you in your seat. Puzzling behaviour. Doesn't seem like a disease but more a trait.
Has anyone faced this or is my Czech Baby simply yanking my chain?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 10:00   #422
BHPian

CBlezer, the car is easy to drive in the traffic and after the initial few days, engine response in 2nd gear has improved. It lunges forward very well. However, my experience says that places/times the traffic opens up a wee bit, and you could go in 3rd consistently, is the best driving experience.

It picks up from fairly slow in 3rd and feels smoothest.

netchef, The blind spot of A-pillar is indeed true, this happens sometimes coming out of right corners and I have adapted to looking from the side windows earlier for anything on the road. I guess thats the only option
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 11:15   #423
BHPian

Default To 'Nappa' or Not To 'Nappa' ???

Had been to one of the auto parts&jobs guys here in tvm. This is the quote that i got for Stanley upholstery (only seats)
Nappa: 36K
Classic: 22K
Touch Classic (genuine leather in front and remaining Art): 16K
Art Leather: 10K
Local brand(non-Stanley): 6-8K with 4 yrs warranty

I wanted to go in for Nappa, but on seeing(and feeling) Classic, I didnt see value in shelling out that extra 14-15K. So, might, in all probability go in for all Black Stanley Classic over the weekend.
Guys...any dope on this latest (at least, to me) fad of glass etching? Where they etch the number on all glasses, using some checmical - supreme security feature!! Any idea of the rates and cons involved?

netchef: Let me know, whether I should upload more pics here in this forum (taking up the much valued bandwidth and space) or upload it elsewhere and provide the link here?
cheers:
rakesh_raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 12:01   #424
BHPian

Default Anybody out there?

Torreadors. Guys. Gentlemen. PLEASE post some pictures. I'm fed up of chewing the written word- as erudite as some of you are (no offence meant). These pages can be sublimated by a couple of black or white or red or indeed steel grey Fabias in the all-together. If the lensman is kind enough to throw in some interesting scenery as a bonus, that would be superb.

Anyone listening? Anyone with an itchy trigger finger? Please do the needful. I would have myself, but don't own a camera and have to rely on third parties to pitch in benevolently. If the forum only knew the kind of promises I have to make for one measly pic. they would call the SPCA.

Make my day- gimme a Fabia centrefold!
Old 20th June 2008, 12:05   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_raja View Post
netchef: Let me know, whether I should upload more pics here in this forum (taking up the much valued bandwidth and space) or upload it elsewhere and provide the link here?
cheers:
rakesh_raja:
Sir, your pictures are welcome here and ONLY here. (gotta be selfish sometimes.).
BTW I've not heard the faintest murmur about bandwidth or load issues- guys seem to post pics at the drop of a hat, so I'm sure the tech chaps behind Team_Bhp have it sorted.

(there you go- I had just posted begging for pics and you wrote in. It augurs well.)

Last edited by netchef : 20th June 2008 at 12:06. Reason: lost the plot
Old 20th June 2008, 12:20   #426
BHPian

Default My Nominations for that Fabi-Centrefold!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Torreadors. Guys. Gentlemen. PLEASE post some pictures. I'm fed up of chewing the written word- as erudite as some of you are (no offence meant). These pages can be sublimated by a couple of black or white or red or indeed steel grey Fabias in the all-together. If the lensman is kind enough to throw in some interesting scenery as a bonus, that would be superb.

Anyone listening? Anyone with an itchy trigger finger? Please do the needful. I would have myself, but don't own a camera and have to rely on third parties to pitch in benevolently. If the forum only knew the kind of promises I have to make for one measly pic. they would call the SPCA.

Make my day- gimme a Fabia centrefold!
There you go....pixels in Black..and lots of green and grey thrown in...you wont find much of reds and yellows there.....just one instance of blue though....to wake you up!!!
cheers:
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2008, 13:19   #427
BHPian

Default We have an artist in our midst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_raja View Post
There you go....pixels in Black..and lots of green and grey thrown in...you wont find much of reds and yellows there.....just one instance of blue though....to wake you up!!!
cheers:

Thank-you. I LOVE them. I like the way the pretty enough Skoda in Lil-Black-Dress has been moved coyly to the side -just 20 deg off centre-stage-to make way for luscious green Kerala. I LOVE the way her derriere peeks in seductively in one pic...classic composition. Not overtly a 'car' shot, not a 'NatGeo' pic either, but very creatively catering- no, pandering- to both ilks. Supreme.

IMO she makes Playmate of the month.

Last edited by netchef : 20th June 2008 at 13:22. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Old 20th June 2008, 20:56   #428
BHPian

Some more pictures, these are taken at Lonavla 2 days back, With this, I promise some more pictures, with my car on the edge of precarious cliffs, up on top of mountains difficult to reach, in the middle of lakes... etc etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-tower-1.jpg  

Attached Images

naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 00:11   #429
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends, picked up my skoda elegance silver diesel this afternoon. The car drives beautiful on mumbai broken tarmac. The broken patches are dealt with silky smooth ride. Took all the courage and just took the car in one of the pothole and barely felt anything in the car. Just great! took the same pothole before in my cousin city, civic and heard a nice loud THUD! sound, quite musical. Overall feel the car is perfect for road of mumbai.

Dealer service was good overall, got all the papers in the right spot. Got few things as complementry like mudflaps, mats, mirror lock, teflon coating and streached them to get me a full tank.

And yes I too felt that blind spot, and got use to manage to look through the window while taking the right turn.

Onething miss the most is the retractable side mirrors which would have been great help in traffic, where you know it might get touched / scratched. I found the light kinda less powered then usual. Though the high beam was good think low beam is not enough.

After driving around reached the stanley boutique at Andheri to order for the seats. Had a discussion on various letter and style. Finally zeroed down to getting sand color classic leather with tinge of silver on the edges of the seats, and door trims. Also, getting the steering wheel done in black and silver. Why silver well the car has silver touches most of the places so guess it would be nice to have little bit more of silver touches hear and then. Also, getting rib stiching done. Saw the satin and nappa.
The quote i got for Nappa along with the door trims of Rs.45000/-, for satin it was 33000/- or so dont remember exactly.
Finally settled for classic as not much of difference between satin and classic. The quote I got for classic in two tone along with door trims and wheel is 36000/-. Where the single tone is 27350/-.
Think it makes sense to get the classic as the only difference between satin and the classic is just the thinkness of it. Where classic is 0.9mm and the satin is 1.2mm. So settled down for the classic range.

Also, wanted to know if anyone here is having Llumar sunfilm. As plan to get the diamond series AIR75 for the front and platinum series steel 50 for the sides. Got a quote of Rs. 9500 for side and front. And getting the sunroof done as well at no cost. Anyone here who has these on the cars? What are your input on this?

Also, Plan to add the K&N replacement filter as of now and may be in the near future get the remap done
Getting Nitrogen filled in my tires tomorow instead of air. Advantages well it stays cooler on long drives, its lighter then air, it doesnt expand the tires like air, have to get it checked once in 3-4 months unlike air which you have to get it checked often. Am sure it might make slight difference in the ride. Let's see will keep you'l posted on this. Getting it done for 250/- for all 5 tyres.

At the end really happy on making the decision on buying this beautiful piece of machine. Trully worth the price.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by Invinsible : 21st June 2008 at 00:23. Reason: mild correction
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 00:32   #430
Senior - BHPian

Hey those are some great picks pranav out there. Really nice. Can you direct where exactly this place is in lonavla? How to reach about?
Old 21st June 2008, 10:49   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey friends, picked up my skoda elegance silver diesel this afternoon. The car drives beautiful on mumbai broken tarmac. The broken patches are dealt with silky smooth ride. Took all the courage and just took the car in one of the pothole and barely felt anything in the car. Just great! took the same pothole before in my cousin city, civic and heard a nice loud THUD! sound, quite musical. Overall feel the car is perfect for road of mumbai.

Dealer service was good overall, got all the papers in the right spot. Got few things as complementry like mudflaps, mats, mirror lock, teflon coating and streached them to get me a full tank.

And yes I too felt that blind spot, and got use to manage to look through the window while taking the right turn.

Onething miss the most is the retractable side mirrors which would have been great help in traffic, where you know it might get touched / scratched. I found the light kinda less powered then usual. Though the high beam was good think low beam is not enough.

After driving around reached the stanley boutique at Andheri to order for the seats. Had a discussion on various letter and style. Finally zeroed down to getting sand color classic leather with tinge of silver on the edges of the seats, and door trims. Also, getting the steering wheel done in black and silver. Why silver well the car has silver touches most of the places so guess it would be nice to have little bit more of silver touches hear and then. Also, getting rib stiching done. Saw the satin and nappa.
The quote i got for Nappa along with the door trims of Rs.45000/-, for satin it was 33000/- or so dont remember exactly.
Finally settled for classic as not much of difference between satin and classic. The quote I got for classic in two tone along with door trims and wheel is 36000/-. Where the single tone is 27350/-.
Think it makes sense to get the classic as the only difference between satin and the classic is just the thinkness of it. Where classic is 0.9mm and the satin is 1.2mm. So settled down for the classic range.

Also, wanted to know if anyone here is having Llumar sunfilm. As plan to get the diamond series AIR75 for the front and platinum series steel 50 for the sides. Got a quote of Rs. 9500 for side and front. And getting the sunroof done as well at no cost. Anyone here who has these on the cars? What are your input on this?

Also, Plan to add the K&N replacement filter as of now and may be in the near future get the remap done
Getting Nitrogen filled in my tires tomorow instead of air. Advantages well it stays cooler on long drives, its lighter then air, it doesnt expand the tires like air, have to get it checked once in 3-4 months unlike air which you have to get it checked often. Am sure it might make slight difference in the ride. Let's see will keep you'l posted on this. Getting it done for 250/- for all 5 tyres.

At the end really happy on making the decision on buying this beautiful piece of machine. Trully worth the price.

Cheers!!!
Congrats for your car!
This Nitrogen thing is something new to me! Let us know how it works in your car.
amit_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 18:43   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Hey those are some great picks pranav out there. Really nice. Can you direct where exactly this place is in lonavla? How to reach about?
First of all: Congratulations ! I'm sure your loving driving it around, in and out of potholes, broken patches, et all...
these pictures were taken at Tiger hill, lonavla, it the spot most people go to nowadays, on the way to Amby Valley, but you don't stop where everyone stops, keep going towards the end of the cliff where the hill slopes down, and keeps sloping down, be careful, the place is mossy, cuz no one goes there, cars tend to slip here, and you might end up 800 ft below in the valley, its usually foggy in this season, so make sure you see where u go..

the pictures with the Wagon R are taken at kamshet, 14 km from lonavla, on top of tower hill (the place I go paragliding in jan-feb) this place requires better skill and judgement, but the view is unbeatable, this is the same hill above kamshet tunnels 1 & 2, you'll most likely bump into some rare barking deer, hares skimpering about, 3 panthers reside in the area, and on your way down, a family of peacocks that wave goodbye, u need to come down around 7:30, but it gets dark and the road is narrower than the car, my wagon r got a few scratches cuz of the thorny bushes on the way up, but the fabia's paint seems to have some really hard stuff... no pictures with the fabia there... didnt take the camera.

Quote:
mirror lock

whats a mirror lock ?

I got V-Kool 94% front and 92% sides on my car, 20000/- in all, with sun roof, make sure you get the highest for the sun roof, also preferably a clear film, cuz the glass is already heavily tinted, a dark film will give you no visibility at night...
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:53   #433
Senior - BHPian

Default Need help on sunflilms

Thx Pranav. And that's surely place I would try and explore. Thanks for all the direction.

Ya have been driving around the car for 3 days now and have done 300 kms already Really love the midrange havnt floored it as yet but the midrange is strong. Went through the manual and it said not to floor the pedal until 1500 kms and not to go around 3/4K rpm. And have been doing as said. Havn't taken the car beyond 90kms so far , where the rpm is about 2k but get really tempted to floor the pedal. Doesn't feel that its 70 horses.
If this is wat 70 horses I cant imagine what would 100 horses after remap would be.

Friends, I wanted to check I got Llumar sunfilm, diamond AIR75 in front and platinum steel 35 on the sides and back. But checked today morning and there are certain bubbles come up in front and little on sides and some on top right corner of the front. ALso, noticed that in noon around 2ish or so that the car was little warm and dashboard was kinda heated up. Is this comon with AIR75 ? What can be done to get rid of the bubble? I am kinda dissapointed with it, Am anyways going to dealer and will ask him to redo where ever there are bubbles.

Any suggestions or remedy on it will be of great help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Invinsible : 23rd June 2008 at 01:10. Reason: correction
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:18   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Some more pictures, these are taken at Lonavla 2 days back, With this, I promise some more pictures, with my car on the edge of precarious cliffs, up on top of mountains difficult to reach, in the middle of lakes... etc etc...
Every Cloud has a Silver Lining!
Terrific shots, naikpranav. Your car and your destination are truly impressive in the clouds. Thanks. You guys are true champs with your cameras. Keep clicking.

Quote:
Hey friends, picked up my skoda elegance silver diesel this afternoon.!!!
Invinsible:
Congrats. Sir. Many Happy Miles to you and your Czech Baby. I think the plan for Leather, Llumar sun film and Nitrogen are absolutely in the right direction. keep writing in with your experience.
Drive safe.
We'd love some pics too.
RG
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:25   #435
BHPian

Invinsible:
Congrats on tha new babe in ur life!!! Hav Fabulous Fabia days ahead!!! Me too going for Stanley Classic dual tone @ about 22K(seats only). Nitrogen in the tires was/is a new thing for me too...hmmm...so many things to learn and so little time left!!

naikpranav:
Fantastic pixels siree...my favorite was the second one where ur Fabia reflects the ominous rainclouds hovering above...as for the last WagonR shot, I think I have come across ur post+pic in some other forum/thread...good locale, all of them...all of them oozing "wish I were there" sentiments....