Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:06   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
not sure if this is true for other cars as well.. but lot of functions are available during the first few minutes after switching off the engine. power brakes, audio system, power windows (even more in high-endvariants i think)..

Makes a lot of sense, Androdev.

do power brakes work in other cars as well just after switching off the engine? seems like a good safety thing (emergency brake if engine stalls)

btw, i think the steering has variable speed assist. check the manual. the assistance is less at higher speeds.

Will do.

does the car beep/warn if you leave the lights on and try to get out of the car?
Never tried.

enjoy your car!
Thank-you, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Good report.
My house is 1 km away from the hump you have mentioned. I stay behind the airport compound wall, the left before the bridge. Where do you stay? Hope to catch your Fabia soon.
Hey, PatienceWins- very close by. Mine is the first right after the Air Force camp. What nature of wheels are you generally in/on?
The Fabia-being primarily for my folks- will have my dad behind the wheel most times. You may see me on my red Fireblade.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:18   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

i was thinking of buying the Fabia Classic model , your reviews may help . Try posting the pictures soon.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:05   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Thank-you, Sir.



Hey, PatienceWins- very close by. Mine is the first right after the Air Force camp. What nature of wheels are you generally in/on?
The Fabia-being primarily for my folks- will have my dad behind the wheel most times. You may see me on my red Fireblade.
Great
I use White Getz Prime 1.3 GLX. Sometimes, I use the Black Scorpio. Hope to see you soon.
All the Best!!
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:51   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,471 Times
Default

Nice review keep it coming. I think build quality will definitely be better by ages, compared to other cars in this segment.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 00:17   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What they have is good. Heard it once. Sadly they dont have pre-amp out or even rear outs.

Excuse the newbie question, but does that mean one wouldn't be able to install rear speakers and a sub in a Fabia ?
rockedbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:10   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
i was thinking of buying the Fabia Classic model , your reviews may help . Try posting the pictures soon.
I think mine is the Classic :-) -imagine not knowing. Pics coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Great
I use White Getz Prime 1.3 GLX. Sometimes, I use the Black Scorpio. Hope to see you soon.
All the Best!!
ok. see you around. take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nice review keep it coming. I think build quality will definitely be better by ages, compared to other cars in this segment.
I agree about build. There's a resounding thunk when you shut the doors that you don't get with other cars especially the Japanese and Korean ones. I may have a Euro-tilt but they seem to favour more solid construction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockedbottom View Post
Excuse the newbie question, but does that mean one wouldn't be able to install rear speakers and a sub in a Fabia ?
Sorry, RockedBottom. Me thinks and that's what I inferred. But this is India...and nothing can be fixed here if a pair of pliers and a solder gun can't transmogrify it.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:34   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default The First Blemish...

It's Heartbreak Hotel. And two free nights at Disappointment Cafe. I need three or four Sad Tequilas. The first scar happened yesterday and it ripped my soul to its foundation, fabric, firmament. It shook and angered and made me terribly sad. Imagine this: our family has not had a new car for 3 generations- I exaggerate not! My grandads had Hillman Minxes and even a Ford V8, my folks got by with a Renault, Ambassador, a Fiat, the previously mentioned Buick, 2 Standard 10s sequentially and suchlike..all wheels that did the job of ferrying the fly to the odd A to B. BUT none were brand new. Not a single car in 3 generations. My parents who sacrificed much to get us rolling did not see a set of new wheels EVER in their career, so this Fabia WAS, IS a heluva big deal. It's not big or anywhere near luxe-barge ostentatious or fast or slick or super expensive. Kids drive swankier cars. BUT it is a new car and that's what mattered to me. It rolled right out of a showroom, came with all the accoutrements of a service de-brief, new papers, new smell new, new new. But a plebeian gate that made for awkward manoeuvering to get her into the porch did it: a long, angry gash high up on the front passenger side door.

I know it can be fixed but she's no virgin anymore...not pure nor blemish-free. And I'm pissed that it happened just a week into owning her. What's to be done? This mere gadget, this bundle of rust-bait, this collection of ephemeral consummables...this transient transit device was important. While I know in my heart of hearts its fancy will fade with time, it was aimed at serving a higher purpose. $&^!*#
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 12:06   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
It's Heartbreak Hotel. And two free nights at Disappointment Cafe. I need three or four Sad Tequilas. The first scar happened yesterday and it ripped my soul to its foundation, fabric, firmament. It shook and angered and made me terribly sad. Imagine this: our family has not had a new car for 3 generations- I exaggerate not! My grandads had Hillman Minxes and even a Ford V8, my folks got by with a Renault, Ambassador, a Fiat, the previously mentioned Buick, 2 Standard 10s sequentially and suchlike..all wheels that did the job of ferrying the fly to the odd A to B. BUT none were brand new. Not a single car in 3 generations. My parents who sacrificed much to get us rolling did not see a set of new wheels EVER in their career, so this Fabia WAS, IS a heluva big deal. It's not big or anywhere near luxe-barge ostentatious or fast or slick or super expensive. Kids drive swankier cars. BUT it is a new car and that's what mattered to me. It rolled right out of a showroom, came with all the accoutrements of a service de-brief, new papers, new smell new, new new. But a plebeian gate that made for awkward manoeuvering to get her into the porch did it: a long, angry gash high up on the front passenger side door.

I know it can be fixed but she's no virgin anymore...not pure nor blemish-free. And I'm pissed that it happened just a week into owning her. What's to be done? This mere gadget, this bundle of rust-bait, this collection of ephemeral consummables...this transient transit device was important. While I know in my heart of hearts its fancy will fade with time, it was aimed at serving a higher purpose. $&^!*#
Do not worry yaar. I understand how you feel. I have gone through the same. Its part of using car in city chaos. Last week someone drew long vertical and horizontal lines on the side of my car when it was parked.

Whenever I get a dent I console myself with the following:
My car looks different now.
It looks macho.

Keep accumulating them and give her a beauty treatment after some time. Its better to paint the entire part than to touch up.

Its like gaining reward points with more usage.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 12:06   #39
BHPian
 
menonrajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post

I know it can be fixed but she's no virgin anymore...not pure nor blemish-free. And I'm pissed that it happened just a week into owning her. What's to be done? This mere gadget, this bundle of rust-bait, this collection of ephemeral consummables...this transient transit device was important. While I know in my heart of hearts its fancy will fade with time, it was aimed at serving a higher purpose. $&^!*#
Sad to hear that; but take it easy pal..Given the mad traffic out here, it is inevitable. I am here to give you company as I carried a scrape home on the rear door on the left side, while bringing my 'virgin Swift' from showroom on the day one! So, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins
My house is 1 km away from the hump you have mentioned. I stay behind the airport compound wall, the left before the bridge. Where do you stay? Hope to catch your Fabia soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef
Hey, PatienceWins- very close by. Mine is the first right after the Air Force camp
Ho..ho!! Its a sweet coincidence..I stay in Vinayak Nagar, may be very near to @PatienceWins!! And I know another TBHPian who stays at the next cross of mine, @AjitKommini !! Time to have an "off-airport meet"!!
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 12:17   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Ho..ho!! Its a sweet coincidence..I stay in Vinayak Nagar, may be very near to @PatienceWins!! And I know another TBHPian who stays at the next cross of mine, @AjitKommini !! Time to have an "off-airport meet"!!
Great!!
It is a small world. I have PMed my address. Time to have a Vinayaka Nagar Meet.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th March 2008 at 12:20.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 12:41   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Do not worry yaar. I understand how you feel. I have gone through the same. Its part of using car in city chaos. Last week someone drew long vertical and horizontal lines on the side of my car when it was parked.

Whenever I get a dent I console myself with the following:
My car looks different now.
It looks macho.

Keep accumulating them and give her a beauty treatment after some time. Its better to paint the entire part than to touch up.

Its like gaining reward points with more usage.
I hear you PatienceWins. Autos and cows and cyclists are part and parcel of our road-borne variables, and skirmishes and battle-scars are inevitable. Actually as expected as the sunrise. But a lifeless GATE is a deviant stab below the belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Sad to hear that; but take it easy pal..Given the mad traffic out here, it is inevitable. I am here to give you company as I carried a scrape home on the rear door on the left side, while bringing my 'virgin Swift' from showroom on the day one! So, cheers


Oops menonrajesh. that must have felt bad. I know I need to steel myself and be more pragmatic. Thanks for the comfort though both of ye.


Ho..ho!! Its a sweet coincidence..I stay in Vinayak Nagar, may be very near to @PatienceWins!! And I know another TBHPian who stays at the next cross of mine, @AjitKommini !! Time to have an "off-airport meet"!!
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 14:41   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default

all my scratches have been made by lifeless things.. except for this one generous Luna guy.. if it a function of (skill, concentration and bad luck)

don't be in a hurry to get it 'repainted'.. do your homework before getting it repainted.. authorized dealers also use generic paints to match the color. (there is no Skoda/OEM paint).. so it is better to get the paint work done from independent body shops esp when there are no dents..

BUT, you have to know which body shops are REALLY GOOD.. otherwise, instead of a minor scratch, you will end up with an entire panel that has a different color shade than the rest of the car.

authorized dealers tend to do a better job of fixing the dents, esp getting those old "curves" back. incidentally, i worry looking at some of the cars that have crazy body lines.. how in the world can any body shop get them back after a minor dent,etc? for example: new CRV rear door has some funny hexagon shaped protrusion.


more information than you might need.. but just thought i should warn you about the hazards of getting something repainted in a hurry.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 14:51   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
all my scratches have been made by lifeless things.. except for this one generous Luna guy.. if it a function of (skill, concentration and bad luck)

don't be in a hurry to get it 'repainted'.. do your homework before getting it repainted.. authorized dealers also use generic paints to match the color. (there is no Skoda/OEM paint).. so it is better to get the paint work done from independent body shops esp when there are no dents..

BUT, you have to know which body shops are REALLY GOOD.. otherwise, instead of a minor scratch, you will end up with an entire panel that has a different color shade than the rest of the car.

authorized dealers tend to do a better job of fixing the dents, esp getting those old "curves" back. incidentally, i worry looking at some of the cars that have crazy body lines.. how in the world can any body shop get them back after a minor dent,etc? for example: new CRV rear door has some funny hexagon shaped protrusion.


more information than you might need.. but just thought i should warn you about the hazards of getting something repainted in a hurry.
Thanks Androdev. I was about to ask the forum just those questions. It comes as a surprise to me that Skoda has no OEM paint and will mix and match as good or bad as the next guy. darned shame. I too have seen many an obvious- read 'glaring'- paint mis-match on cars floating about our roads.
Stupid question: can I ask them to replace the entire door with a fully painted original?

Can you recommend a body shop? How much is it likely to cost to repaint a door?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 14:55   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Really sorry about the scar on your Fabia Netchef. I know the sickening feeling. I still wince when I remember the various moments my cars got scarred.

Anyway, congrats on a great car! Take care and drive safe.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 15:08   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Paint your wagon

Just spoke with the TAFE bodyshop and they say they have the original paint and that the job will cost Rs 3500/-
God help me.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI kunaalsaigal Hatchbacks 34 1st June 2011 18:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks