Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th June 2008, 10:39   #451
Senior - BHPian

cool pics pranav.
BTW, i reads in one of the posts that the fabia has rear A/C vents. true? if yes, is it available in all the variants?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 10:52   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
cool pics pranav.
BTW, i reads in one of the posts that the fabia has rear A/C vents. true? if yes, is it available in all the variants?
yes, thats right, the AC vents are on the floor like in the superb, but no vents above, I don't think they are for cooling, cuz they end up freezing everyone's feet, but i use them to dry the mats, pretty useful at that !
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 13:30   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I just got my car stanley seats done. It's in sand color with silver touches on the seats, side panels and on the steering. Went for classic leather with rib effects and silver strips on the side countour of the side. As well as the front and rear headrest has a silver touch where the front part of the headrest is in silver and rear part is sand color. Got the steering done too in black and silver finish. Overall adding silver really breaks the effect of having a monotone effect. Looks really neat and different.

Hi Invinsible,

Can you post pictures of your seats? We would love to see how the silver strips look on leather.
SidMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 09:19   #454

Default actual fuel tank capacity?

So question of the day folks: what is the actual fuuel tank capacity of the Fabia? I went for a fill this morning and as per my esitmate I had about 7-7.5 l left in the tank. So around 38 litres the pump shut itself off. But the kid who was pumping then started pressing a tiny little lever (for the lack of a better word) inside the tank opening very close to where the lid is and I could hear a hissing sound and he kept pumping happily - this went on and on and around 44.5 i told him to stop. This really spun me out... He saw the look on my face said that it will go upto something like 60litres!!! Is this right? I didn't even get the low fuel warning when i went in to fill (I usually fill early in the morning before it gets hot) so there certainly was plenty of dielsel left over in there.
Anyone else seen this before?

~nk
nk1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 10:56   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMeer View Post
Hi everyone,

My Fabia 1.4MPI delivery has been delayed by 2 weeks. I just got off the phone with my dealer. He said Skoda is upgrading the software in the petrol cars and that's why there is a delay in 1.2 and 1.4 deliveries.
SidMeer:
Makes sense to wait for the upgraded software. You'll probably be better off for it. Pity about your EMI- that holds a lesson for others contemplating a financed car, and might lead to a situation as with builders in Bangalore, where they guarantee no EMIs till occupation (in this case, delivery).

Good luck, Sir.

Quote:
I just got my car stanley seats done. It's in sand color with silver touches on the seats, side panels and on the steering. Went for classic leather with rib effects and silver strips on the side countour of the side. As well as the front and rear headrest has a silver touch where the front part of the headrest is in silver and rear part is sand color. Got the steering done too in black and silver finish. Overall adding silver really breaks the effect of having a monotone effect. Looks really neat and different.
Invinsible:
Silver-n-sands sounds lovely. Photos would work nicely, thanks, if not too much bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
I had another outing 4 days back, this time to Malshej Ghat.

We had some work to be done at Panvel, and after finishing it at about 2, we decided to go to Lonavla, but I was wiser, and said "Malshej" so we had to drive another 110 km to get there, the car feels even more like a dream with a heavyweight at the back, it was planted and superbly composed all the way on the twisties, which i would throw it into between 90 and 120, and the straight stretches taken at 140. the journey down the ghat was done at a humble 40, cuz we just couldn't leave that place like that, with the girls standing on the seats right out the sunroof, one heck of an impromptu journey !

Im loving this car even more each day i drive it !
naikpranav:
Sir, when is someone going to take me to such gorgeous places?
I know you're back safe and sound but it's not a good idea for the lass to be tempting Fate on the edge of that precipice- sorry to preach, Sir, but I've heard of too many bizarre accidents.

Thanks for the superb pics.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:22   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post

naikpranav:
Sir, when is someone going to take me to such gorgeous places?
I know you're back safe and sound but it's not a good idea for the lass to be tempting Fate on the edge of that precipice- sorry to preach, Sir, but I've heard of too many bizarre accidents.

Thanks for the superb pics.
Oh don't worry about me, I am like that, every time I get a new car, its the first few days of this irrational behaviour, but I finally settle down and drive it only to half its capacity, bombay is a cruel place, doesnt really allow me to let the car get what it deserves, however, I drove to pune again yesterday, and I was a lot more civilized with it, I am slowly returning to my usual style.

about the drive yesterday : It poured all day, visibility was really really low, the heated mirrors, rear wiper and defogger is very well thought out, when you put the car in reverse, with the front wipers on, the rear wiper goes on on its own. also, the Reverse parking sensors figure out people moving, and warn you about that, also audio volume is automatically reduced when u reverse, and this lower volume can also be set.

netchef: If you do come to Bombay, and have some time, and wish to go to some place like this, I'll be happy to take you, maybe just to listen to you talk, I am anyway forever happy driving, I know many secret places and unknown roads in a 300km radius around bombay.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:27   #457
Senior - BHPian

Sure, will deffinately post the pcis of the leather very soon. But pardon me with quality of the pic as have messed up my digicam in the rain yesterday on the trip to khapoli. So will have to do away with my phone cam.

I just completeled 1100 kms yesterday which is about in 10 days time. Another 3000 kms to go before I had a Custom code REMAP.
Must say really impressed with the car now. DOn't feel the 70 bhp is inadequate for the car. Overall the car drives beautifully. Wonder what it would drive like after remap. Have been driving the car around 80 but since last 4 days taking it upto 100 with on few ocassion 120kms but not exceeding more the 3000 rpm as mentioned in the manual book. It stays around 3000 rpm at around 120kms. I wonder at what rpm it would drive on 140-150kms! The car is well planted on twist and turns adding confidence to drive it aggressively.
The pickup has become nice and smooth, more linear then it was in the beginning, specially after 1500 rpm. Noticed that the 1st gear is short which in turn makes you accelerate more 3000rpm in order to get the car moving. THink would have been better if skoda could have given slightly lonnger gear ratio.
Overall the car drives wonderfully. I noticed one thing the suspension doesn't ride the same way it did before when I had got new where it use soak up the bumps and potholes much better then now where it tends to get little bumpy. I am keep my tyre pressure around 32 psi all 4 tyres, even tried 30psi as told by the dealer but found the car ridding little more ruff then 32psi. Whats the correct tyre pressure to be maintained? has anyone else noticed it?

Also, noticed the car is equipped with lane changing indicators. Well i tried tapping it slightly and indicators blink 3 times. WHich means you don't have to engage the indicators. This feature can be great for lane chaning on the highway. Really neat. I guess evenly laura has the same feature.

Wanted to check has anyone given their car for their 1st service? Is there any difference in performance and fuel efficiency? I am getting around 14kms with mumbai traffic and 2 trips of highway cruising. Anyone else from mumbai who can post their mileage figures?

I also added some new speakers and amplifiers. Got my baby new morel Speakers and alpine amplifiers with Image dynamics subwoofer. This has really transformed the car and added a reason for me to find a long way home. The sound is awesome, crystal clear and listening to def lepard is really deafening It feels you sitting in a live concert with soft bass flowing through your ear. Truly worth it. I think this car is one of the best in car acoustics and sound really beautiful.

In the end, I still keep hunting for new long way home and guess will do it for long time to come.

Cheers !

Last edited by Invinsible : 30th June 2008 at 11:33.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 12:28   #458
BHPian

Mr. Invinsible:
It would be great if you could throw some light on the ICE setup of your car.

I have few doubts.
1. Will adding amp & speakers void the warranty?
2. What is the size of the door speakers?
3. Are you using the 'Dance' HU?
4. Have you installed any speakers in the parcel tray.

And more importantly, Pics pleaseeeeeeee.

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 15:38   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
cool pics pranav.
raj_5004:
Yes, I can confirm that all variants of the 1.4 diesels have the rear vents.

Quote:
yes, thats right, the AC vents are on the floor like in the superb, but no vents above, I don't think they are for cooling, cuz they end up freezing everyone's feet, but i use them to dry the mats, pretty useful at that !
naikpranav:
Gives 'cold feet' new meaning, eh? I love your workaround of using the vents to dry mats! Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post
So question of the day folks: what is the actual fuuel tank capacity of the Fabia? I went for a fill this morning and as per my esitmate I had about 7-7.5 l left in the tank. So around 38 litres the pump shut itself off. But the kid who was pumping then started pressing a tiny little lever (for the lack of a better word) inside the tank opening very close to where the lid is and I could hear a hissing sound and he kept pumping happily - this went on and on and around 44.5 i told him to stop. This really spun me out... He saw the look on my face said that it will go upto something like 60litres!!! Is this right? I didn't even get the low fuel warning when i went in to fill (I usually fill early in the morning before it gets hot) so there certainly was plenty of dielsel left over in there.
Anyone else seen this before?

~nk
nk1969: Sorry, can't help you there. I only go 30 litres a hit.

Quote:
... also audio volume is automatically reduced when u reverse, and this lower volume can also be set.

netchef: If you do come to Bombay, and have some time, and wish to go to some place like this, I'll be happy to take you, maybe just to listen to you talk, I am anyway forever happy driving, I know many secret places and unknown roads in a 300km radius around bombay.
naikpranav: Brilliant, the auto mute when you reverse.

Thanks for the invitation. Shall definitely take you up on it when I'm next in Mumbai: you seem well clued-in.

Quote:
Sure, will deffinately post the pcis of the leather very soon. But pardon me with quality of the pic as have messed up my digicam in the rain yesterday on the trip to khapoli. So will have to do away with my phone cam.

I just completeled 1100 kms yesterday which is about in 10 days time. Another 3000 kms to go before I had a Custom code REMAP.
Must say really impressed with the car now. DOn't feel the 70 bhp is inadequate for the car. Overall the car drives beautifully. Wonder what it would drive like after remap. Have been driving the car around 80 but since last 4 days taking it upto 100 with on few ocassion 120kms but not exceeding more the 3000 rpm as mentioned in the manual book. It stays around 3000 rpm at around 120kms. I wonder at what rpm it would drive on 140-150kms! The car is well planted on twist and turns adding confidence to drive it aggressively.
The pickup has become nice and smooth, more linear then it was in the beginning, specially after 1500 rpm. Noticed that the 1st gear is short which in turn makes you accelerate more 3000rpm in order to get the car moving. THink would have been better if skoda could have given slightly lonnger gear ratio.
Overall the car drives wonderfully. I noticed one thing the suspension doesn't ride the same way it did before when I had got new where it use soak up the bumps and potholes much better then now where it tends to get little bumpy. I am keep my tyre pressure around 32 psi all 4 tyres, even tried 30psi as told by the dealer but found the car ridding little more ruff then 32psi. Whats the correct tyre pressure to be maintained? has anyone else noticed it?

Also, noticed the car is equipped with lane changing indicators. Well i tried tapping it slightly and indicators blink 3 times. WHich means you don't have to engage the indicators. This feature can be great for lane chaning on the highway. Really neat. I guess evenly laura has the same feature.

Wanted to check has anyone given their car for their 1st service? Is there any difference in performance and fuel efficiency? I am getting around 14kms with mumbai traffic and 2 trips of highway cruising. Anyone else from mumbai who can post their mileage figures?

I also added some new speakers and amplifiers. Got my baby new morel Speakers and alpine amplifiers with Image dynamics subwoofer. This has really transformed the car and added a reason for me to find a long way home. The sound is awesome, crystal clear and listening to def lepard is really deafening It feels you sitting in a live concert with soft bass flowing through your ear. Truly worth it. I think this car is one of the best in car acoustics and sound really beautiful.

In the end, I still keep hunting for new long way home and guess will do it for long time to come.

Cheers !
Invinsible:
Well written, Sir. Enjoyed reading your 1100 km report and all the little details you garnished it with. The lane change indicator facility is great and I just hope my car comes with it as well.

Your ICE upgrade is the goods- have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Mr. Invinsible:

I have few doubts.

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash:
I agree. Some clarity, lots of pics.

Last edited by netchef : 30th June 2008 at 15:40. Reason: spello
Old 30th June 2008, 18:56   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Mr. Invinsible:

I have few doubts.

Regards
Mahesh S
I dnt think it would void any warranty as such. Never had issues with my other cars. Both front and rear doors can fit either 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 components or coax in them. Ya am using the stock head unit i.e. Dance unit. I would sugest to fit the speakers in doors as i have done rather then tray for beter sound stage. Will post the pic soon.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:39   #461
BHPian

Hi Netchef - Have been reading about the issue of "turbo lag" and "engine noise" in Fabia. Wanted to know how much of this is bothering your driving experience on a day to day basis. I currently drive an Alto and in city traffic i can manage to drive on 3rd gear even at speeds as low as 20 kmph and i can continue on 2nd gear (without pressing the clutch too often) unless the car comes to a complete halt, is this possible while driving Fabia in the city traffic?
chitbhanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:43   #462
BHPian

Invincible: Thank you for the info. Waiting for the pics of your ICE setup.

chitbhanu: I would like to share my first impression of Fabia TDI's engine noise. More than a month ago, I visited the local Skoda dealer 'Gurudev motors' and asked for a test drive. Since the TDI demo car was not available at that moment, the sales guy promised me to bring it to my home that weekend and he promptly brought the car to my apartment complex. My apartment's security guard informed about the car's arrival. When I came down by the lift, I saw a satin grey colored Fabia parked near the entrance. It was about 100 feet from the lift. I heard an engine noise. a typical diesel engine noise. I looked around the cars near by. Then I realised that its the Fabia. The sales guy was sitting inside and the AC was on. It was really embarrassing for me to hear such a loud noise.
But still I have decided to go for Fabia TDI. It's because of the German engineering (IMHO its not Czech).

Now-a-days I see lot of Fabias in Chennai roads. I'm really worried about this. When I booked it, I thought I will be one among the very few who are driving Fabias. But the scene changed and is changing very fast. Anyways I welcome the change. cheers:

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 11:33   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitbhanu View Post
Hi Netchef - Have been reading about the issue of "turbo lag" and "engine noise" in Fabia. Wanted to know how much of this is bothering your driving experience on a day to day basis. I currently drive an Alto and in city traffic i can manage to drive on 3rd gear even at speeds as low as 20 kmph and i can continue on 2nd gear (without pressing the clutch too often) unless the car comes to a complete halt, is this possible while driving Fabia in the city traffic?
Hi chitbhanu:
I would say that both are very subjective issues and would depend a whole lot on where the person was coming from. In your case, I think you'd find both the turbo lag as well as the engine noise a bother primarily as your point of reference would be the Alto you curently drive. The car is petrol engined first off. Then it's from the Maruti stables which is known for its refined cars. Finally, it's a light body which results in a zippy drive. The Skoda Fabia diesels are different in all respects. Even among modern diesels, they are considered noisy (I agree with this reading): if you run one neck and neck with a Hyundai Verna for instance, you'd know what I meant. A Fabia lumbers along less like a ballerina, more like a sumo wrestler. I don't think you'd manage to drive one in 3rd at 20kmph without stalling her.

Basicaly, the Fabia is purposed differently and you've got to figure if that suits you. IMO she's ideal for the highway and could prove a handfull in the city traffic. Some say she's underpowered, but a diesel has to be driven differently from a petrol.

Off topic
Yes, the lange change indicator works in my model as well.
Old 1st July 2008, 15:47   #464
Senior - BHPian

Well, here are the pics I am posting of the stanley seats in sand and silver color. Pardon me for the quality of pics.

Also, I realised last evening the wipers given are the speed sensitive wipers. My car was on standstill and kept the wipers on 1st interval setting and the wipers were coming on every 4 seconds but when the car was on motion above 40 or so that 4 seconds came down 2 seconds. Thats neat.
Attached Images

Old 1st July 2008, 16:41   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Well, here are the pics I am posting of the stanley seats in sand and silver color. Pardon me for the quality of pics.

Also, I realised last evening the wipers given are the speed sensitive wipers. My car was on standstill and kept the wipers on 1st interval setting and the wipers were coming on every 4 seconds but when the car was on motion above 40 or so that 4 seconds came down 2 seconds. Thats neat.
Terrific pics, Sir. Thanks. I think your car looks swell and that beige and silver do her justice.
Armrests, too. Lovely.