Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd July 2008, 17:48   #466
BHPian

Default Fabia owner in the making

Guys, just to say hello. Glad to be joining this post. I am currently thinking of going with the 1.2Petrol version (classic).

While the heart says to go ahead bindas, the brain worries about the low clearance. I know its low but a couple of people have cautioned me it can hurt - hence the hesitation. Can the owners comment on it - how does it affect on city roads and highways?

Second reason for the double thought is the dealer in Hyderabad. As someone else mentioned in the posts, it looks like the only person who wanted to buy the car in the showroom was me.

Lastly, any info on the mileage for the 1200cc or 1400cc petrol ones?
AdvaithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:03   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvaithC View Post
Guys, just to say hello. Glad to be joining this post. I am currently thinking of going with the 1.2Petrol version (classic).

While the heart says to go ahead bindas, the brain worries about the low clearance. I know its low but a couple of people have cautioned me it can hurt - hence the hesitation. Can the owners comment on it - how does it affect on city roads and highways?

Second reason for the double thought is the dealer in Hyderabad. As someone else mentioned in the posts, it looks like the only person who wanted to buy the car in the showroom was me.

Lastly, any info on the mileage for the 1200cc or 1400cc petrol ones?
Ground Clearance, in this car isn't too different from others in its category, remember, we're not talking Lambo here, with this kind of GC, its not the car that makes the difference, its the driver, look a little down in the posts, you'll see my car in all places except roads, never scraped it even once.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:31   #468
BHPian

The current delivery time for Fabia is around 6 weeks and I am hearing all kinds of stories about this. Some are:

- engine demobilizer software is being upgraded. Already sold cars have been recalled and sent to Aurangabad for the upgrade
- petrol engine is being tuned for Indian roads
- petrol engine has sound problems. this is being fixed.

Although I have been driving cars for like 3 yrs, this will be the first I am going to buy. When I first heard about Fabia I was really excited. The pricing for the 1200 cc fit in to my budget...but what has been spoiling the fun is the lack of info (or perhaps information overload - too much data from different forums).

I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. But the delivery will be 40 days later so want to gather as much as possible. Hope this post will help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Ground Clearance....you'll see my car in all places except roads, never scraped it even once.
Thanks Pranav, that helps.
Old 2nd July 2008, 23:56   #469
BHPian

well here are the pics of my baby... in the wet!
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small898-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small899-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small900-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small903-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small906-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small907-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small911-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small914-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small915-copy.jpg

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-small925-copy.jpg

sorry none in the hood yet...
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:15   #470
BHPian

Quote:
AdvaithC: Welcome to the Fabia posts.
IMO you're making the right choice, but I must add I haven't driven the 1.2- my reaction comes purely from my Fabia experience as well as the equity that rides with the brand.

Spares are expensive, but we hope against hope we shan't have to dip into our wallets :-)

Good luck.

Quote:
Ground Clearance, in this car isn't too different from others in its category, remember, we're not talking Lambo here, with this kind of GC, its not the car that makes the difference, its the driver, look a little down in the posts, you'll see my car in all places except roads, never scraped it even once.
naikpranav: I tend to agree with that. Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
well here are the pics of my baby... in the wet!
nipunkul: Lovely. The projector lamps make her look menacing...Lovely wet, too. Thanks.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:37   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
AdvaithC: Welcome to the Fabia posts.
IMO you're making the right choice
Thanks dude. You have a great post running here . I know it will be a good choice. Actually what I did was to start thinking I was going to drive some other small car. After living in that thought for a while, I never liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Spares are expensive, but we hope against hope we shan't have to dip into our wallets :-)
The spares are indeed costly. For Fabia the dealer told me it would cost around 20-22K whereas for other cars its around 10K. My take on this is that the probability of some parts going bad would be comparatively less in Skoda cars but when they do it will be costly. Its a matter of chance, and I guess I am willing to take given the rest of the car is so nice. Apart from the two year warranty dealer also says things should run pretty much the ok till the 3-4 year. Clutch plate is only an example, I know the driving manner greatly affects the life of clutch plate.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:31   #472
BHPian

Default 2036 kms

Quote:
Thanks dude. You have a great post running here .

Thank-you, Sir. It's people like yourself that keep the momentun and the interest from flagging. Please add your story when you get your Fabia, and don't forget to commission some sexy pics of her.

My take on this is that the probability of some parts going bad would be comparatively less in Skoda cars but when they do it will be costly. .
Very true.

Some general info for Bangaloreans:
The HP fuel station on the Airport Rd (old airport, thanks very much Mister Chief Minister) just before Golden Enclave when headed into town now offers Nitrogen for tyres. It costs 30 Rupees per tyre for the first inflation, and a 10Rs surcharge for subsequent. I think they said they'd do free check-ups for a period but I can't recall what the period was.
Better pressure retention means improved fuel consumption, tyre life and more, and the tyres also run cooler.

Anyone with more info of the benefits of running Nitrogen in tyres, please add it.

My case makes the need for Nitro rather poignant: I did my first fuel consumption calculation and it turned in a poor 12.8 km/l. However, I did suspect the tyre pressures were culprit, and was vindicated when I found all 4 to be running between 20 and 22 PSI, which is more than 30% below the recommended 32PSI.

QED: Nitrogen makes a heap of sense. I didn't have cash on me this am else I'd have had it done right away. Pity.

Au revs,
RG
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:34   #473
BHPian

I had a flat yesterday, on one of my rounds of wednesday mud-plugging, this time much near home at the naitonal park, on one of the old lion/tiger safari trails, there were three of us in the car. A female friend of mine wanted to show us how well she could change a tyre (not that she had before) so i gave her the jack and the spanner n stood there watching, she changed it in 6 minutes ! the jack is the best screw-jack i have seen so far, there is security for the wheel bolts, one of them cannot be opened with the spanner, it needs a key which is inserted and the spanner goes on this, the wheels are light enough for almost anyone to pick up (the alloys are lighter than the m800's wheels). After the excercise, we were off for some more mud-plugging, albeit more sensibly, got back to the tyre shop in the evening to fix the flat with a brown car. overall, great fun, but never lose any of the keys, or no one will be able to open the wheels.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:28   #474
BHPian

Quote:
I had a flat yesterday, on one of my rounds of wednesday mud-plugging, this time much near home at the naitonal park, on one of the old lion/tiger safari trails, there were three of us in the car. A female friend of mine wanted to show us how well she could change a tyre (not that she had before) so i gave her the jack and the spanner n stood there watching, she changed it in 6 minutes ! the jack is the best screw-jack i have seen so far, there is security for the wheel bolts, one of them cannot be opened with the spanner, it needs a key which is inserted and the spanner goes on this, the wheels are light enough for almost anyone to pick up (the alloys are lighter than the m800's wheels). After the excercise, we were off for some more mud-plugging, albeit more sensibly, got back to the tyre shop in the evening to fix the flat with a brown car. overall, great fun, but never lose any of the keys, or no one will be able to open the wheels.
naikpranav:
6 minutes is startling for a tyro. Your friend could run for Schumacher's pit crew. Thanks for the tip on the keys-I'd no idea abut them.

Anyone on nitrogen?
Old 4th July 2008, 09:41   #475
Senior - BHPian

well gettin my tyres filled with nitrogen and the best presure i have figured out is 31front and 30at back. 32 and all gets edgy. Over here its 50bucks for each. And was told to get it checked after 3 months or 5000kms. Will let you know how the difference is. Am sure its gona be lighter then air which meams less weight on axle and suspension which may give better rolling and slightly better ride. In return increase fuel efficiency.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 10:34   #476
Team-BHP Support

Air is already 80% nitrogen so are you really going to feel the difference. Can understand on a race track or ardious conditions
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 10:49   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Air is already 80% nitrogen so are you really going to feel the difference. Can understand on a race track or ardious conditions

ajmat: Brilliant point, Sir. Doesn't strike one immediately, but makes a heap of sense.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:48   #478

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2008 at 18:18.
pisces84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 18:33   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
well gettin my tyres filled with nitrogen and the best presure i have figured out is 31front and 30at back. 32 and all gets edgy. Over here its 50bucks for each. And was told to get it checked after 3 months or 5000kms. Will let you know how the difference is. Am sure its gona be lighter then air which meams less weight on axle and suspension which may give better rolling and slightly better ride. In return increase fuel efficiency.
As correctly pointed out by Moderator, difference in weight will not be noticable. You get better FE and handling because frequent tyre pressure change will be almost absent, even when driving long distances. I have used nitrogen filled tubeless tyres on my earlier Indigo for 13,000 kms. Checked after 8,000 kms after first filling and pressure had not changed one unit! Checked after another 4,000 kms and this time it needed topping of 1 to 2 units.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 02:19   #480
BHPian

Hi Netchef - Thanks for your inputs, guess I will have to test drive one TDI Fabia to be able to make a direct comparison. Have driven Fusion, Fiesta and Verna diesels earlier and the Turbo lag present in them is quite tolerable. I guess Innova is the only Diesel vehicle where i found the lag almost non existent. As for the engine noise, i could hear an explicit diesel engine humming from all the vehicles i drove, will just have to see how much more / less a Fabia hums with windows rolled up.

I have read through your previous posts and am aware that mostly its your parents who use this car and hence are not interested in any mods for performance etc. However wanted to check if you or anyone else has heard of a "Pete's" box exclusively for Fabia? If yes - is it a recommended "add on" particularly to improve the 'so called' turbo lag in Fabia at low RPMs?

[quote=netchef;886649]Hi chitbhanu:
In your case, I think you'd find both the turbo lag as well as the engine noise a bother primarily as your point of reference would be the Alto you curently drive. The car is petrol engined first off. Then it's from the Maruti stables which is known for its refined cars. Finally, it's a light body which results in a zippy drive. The Skoda Fabia diesels are different in all respects. Even among modern diesels, they are considered noisy (I agree with this reading): if you run one neck and neck with a Hyundai Verna for instance, you'd know what I meant. A Fabia lumbers along less like a ballerina, more like a sumo wrestler. I don't think you'd manage to drive one in 3rd at 20kmph without stalling her.
chitbhanu is offline   Reply With Quote