Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 21:18   #511
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
akshay1234:
Good trick, Sir. I could understand messing with other viscera, but they are pushing it if they want to block people who want better music systems. How far does that go? Change the mats, put a sticker on the bumper, use a non-vetted car perfume and the warranty is void?
well most dealers wouldnt go that far. i guess it just depends on how your rapport with the dealer is. eg my getz with an ffe and a filter and the dealer didnt void warranty.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 11:50   #512
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well most dealers wouldnt go that far. i guess it just depends on how your rapport with the dealer is. eg my getz with an ffe and a filter and the dealer didnt void warranty.

So there is such a thing as a humane, pragmatic, flesh-and-blood dealer. I'd begun to suspect they were from some diabolic planet.

BTW, is yours a diesel Getz? I've been hearing fantastic things. (Sorry if we've discussed this before, but my memory tends to slip.)
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 13:30   #513
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
So there is such a thing as a humane, pragmatic, flesh-and-blood dealer. I'd begun to suspect they were from some diabolic planet.

BTW, is yours a diesel Getz? I've been hearing fantastic things. (Sorry if we've discussed this before, but my memory tends to slip.)
nope. its a 1.3 petrol with a free flow, ractive air filter and vipers tri-phase. unfortunately in 2005 there wasnt a diesel getz otherwise im sure i wouldve have one now and that too with a petes box. but the innova sort of makes up.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:06   #514
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
nope. its a 1.3 petrol with a free flow, ractive air filter and vipers tri-phase. unfortunately in 2005 there wasnt a diesel getz otherwise im sure i wouldve have one now and that too with a petes box. but the innova sort of makes up.
Is 'ractive' a brand or a technology? I think I've heard it mentioned.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 18:46   #515
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Is 'ractive' a brand or a technology? I think I've heard it mentioned.
its a brand. the conical filters are arguably as good as k&n at half the price.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:09   #516
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
its a brand. the conical filters are arguably as good as k&n at half the price.
akshay1234:
ok. Thanks, Sir. BTW heard of a soup-up option on Optra diesels? I got it via hearsay that 'Coimbatore' boosted an Optra output to 320 BHP??? Is that MAD? Is that real? Friend wants to emulate on his Tata Indigo.

Guess I should look up a Pete's thread, but your leads would be most welcome.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:22   #517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Smelling salts

I'd been meaning to write the forum about this little idiosyncracy, but never got there.

Get a whiff of this!
Many car owners-including friends of mine- indulge in off-the-shelf fragrances to keep their cars smelling fresh. All very alluring and rose-tinted, plugging into their air vents for passive dispersal. However, I go a different route to pretty good effect.

What I've done- from the ealy days of my Cielo, and now in the Fabia, is to air a simple block of camphor in a suitable box (that sits in a conveniently-sized receptacle just behind the handbrake, in the Fabia). That's it. It costs me no more than 20-25 Rs for the block that lasts months, and makes my car smell fresh as a daisy. Kinky too, probably.

On the Scent
I love it. I don't know if it's some atavistic instinct that draws me to the strongly 'temple' aroma- I do find it calming, though.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:34   #518
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
akshay1234:
ok. Thanks, Sir. BTW heard of a soup-up option on Optra diesels? I got it via hearsay that 'Coimbatore' boosted an Optra output to 320 BHP??? Is that MAD? Is that real? Friend wants to emulate on his Tata Indigo.

Guess I should look up a Pete's thread, but your leads would be most welcome.
well 320 bhp is complete bull****. but petes does raise the power of the optra to around 145bhp.

i dont think there are any reliable performance upgrades for the indigo.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:44   #519
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well 320 bhp is complete bull****. but petes does raise the power of the optra to around 145bhp.

i dont think there are any reliable performance upgrades for the indigo.
akshay1234:
Ah, thanks. I thought it sounded daft. Does Pete's do a Lancer diesel?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:52   #520
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
akshay1234:
Ah, thanks. I thought it sounded daft. Does Pete's do a Lancer diesel?
nope. only commonrail diesels. AFAIK the lancer isnt one.

when is the remap coming on your car? about time isnt it?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 15:00   #521
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
nope. only commonrail diesels. AFAIK the lancer isnt one.

when is the remap coming on your car? about time isnt it?
akshay1234:
Remap: how I wish. Beggars would ride etc but this one's for my parents so a remap would be super overkill.
When they release a 1.9 Fabia, I shall put in a turbo, a supercharger, an after-burner, a remap or two, desmo valves, carbon fibre brake rotors and parachute brakes

ps. this page is entirely OUR exchange thus far- not a squeak from the rest of the gang. Where have all the Fabias gone?

Last edited by netchef : 14th July 2008 at 15:03. Reason: ps
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 15:03   #522
BHPian
 
MadRash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 241
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Gentlemen: this Fabia story had some keen observers and passionate, capable contributors.

To name but a few:

naikpranav
parichay
ronnyquest
rakesh_raja
nk1969
amit_mind
nipunkul

MadRash...and many more. I've listed out some I managed to trace in my limited time, and the list is in no way exhaustive or complete. We'd love it if you guys added to your story and sent us some new pixels.
netchef Sir:
I got my Fabia 1.4 TDI Classic last Monday. Next day early morning I took it to my hometown near Coimbatore. There I had no access to the web. I returned to Chennai yesterday after clocking more than 2000 KMs. I will post my experience and pics ASAP.

Few bits:
I got around 18.3 KMPL on highways. Have to check for city traffic.
Managed to reach 150 KMPH on Bangalore - Chennai highway near vellore.


Regards
Mahesh
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 15:07   #523
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
When they release a 1.9 Fabia, I shall put in a turbo, a supercharger, an after-burner, a remap or two, desmo valves, carbon fibre brake rotors and parachute brakes.
Good luck with that Rajeev! Because once you do all that (with the appropriate stickering on the body panels too, declaring what all is there in the car!) I'll make sure pictures of the same grace the "Weird & Wacky Mods thread"!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 15:48   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Just completed 2700kms in about 24 days time. Must say the pick up has improved litle over what it was when i got new. The car goes smoothly upto 120kms with less then half trottle but after which it needs little more heavy foot to reach 130 and 140kms, max i hav taken it too. Havnt revved the engine more the 3500rpm just on few occasions took it upto 4000rpm. yet got to redline it but think it would be beter idea to do that after 1st service.
There are few gliches am already facing.
1. There is some kinda little squeaking noise thats coming from near the speedo and rpm cluster of the dash when it goes under broken surface.

2. The front passenger seat rattles litle bit when its not ocupied. Think it is just some bolt noise i feel yet goto get it fixed or tighten.

3. I noticed 1 more thing that when i braked on a broken tarmac, the brakes or suspension makes a loud noise and the brake peddle starts shivering or say it shakes a litle back n forth. Now i know its not abs which is working on it coz if it was the ABS, abs light would have come on. Has anyone faced this problem ? Help ???

4. Was planing to get the remap done last week but landed up spending the saving on geting the car polymer coating along with scotch gard and glass treatment and also got the HID Light fixed. Must say the gloss on the car has realy improved a lot. It shines much better now. Overall got more then 15treatment done. Even the engine was applied with certain chemical which protects all the wire and rubber hose from geting harden. Must say my car looked much beter then day 1 i got it new. Simply awesome job. With glass treatment i can drive my car without puting the wiper on in rain. And trust me it did work. I drove the car in rain at over 80 without wiper and the water just glided up and on sides, just great. The HID made a lot of difference in night driving.
Altogether costed me 25k plus. Getting the remap done on this weekend. So friends just hang on

Last edited by Invinsible : 14th July 2008 at 15:59. Reason: corrections
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 16:07   #525
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai, Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 142
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
There are few gliches am already facing.
1. There is some kinda little squeaking noise thats coming from near the speedo and rpm cluster of the dash when it goes under broken surface.

2. The front passenger seat rattles litle bit when its not ocupied. Think it is just some bolt noise i feel yet goto get it fixed or tighten.

3. I noticed 1 more thing that when i braked on a broken tarmac, the brakes or suspension makes a loud noise and the brake peddle starts shivering or say it shakes a litle back n forth. Now i know its not abs which is working on it coz if it was the ABS, abs light would have come on. Has anyone faced this problem ? Help ???
about the brakes: yes its the ABS, its a warning for you to know that ABS has kicked in, and you've driven unsafely. it also warns when you have a gravel or loose surface, don't think i've looked at the indicators while this has happened ever.

something I stumbled onto: I took a u-turn at 140, (don't ask me why or how, but it was in a pretty safe place) the car spun about 20 degrees with the brakes vibrating, after leaving the pedal, the car braked on its own until it was back in a straight line and I had control on where it went, not how much it braked, don't know if thats a good thing, because I have been able to control slides many times with other cars, this one controls itself, ofcourse i'm not trying that again.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI kunaalsaigal Hatchbacks 34 1st June 2011 18:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks