Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th July 2008, 19:11   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
netchef Sir:
I got my Fabia 1.4 TDI Classic last Monday. ...clocking more than 2000 KMs.
Mahesh: Congratulations. Great to have you back. 2000 kms in such a few days is quite startling a figure. If you keep up the rate, you're going to spin that speedo around before you know it.

We're looking forward to your thicker report.

Marvellous. Safe (and happy) driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Good luck with that Rajeev! Because once you do all that (with the appropriate stickering on the body panels too, declaring what all is there in the car!) I'll make sure pictures of the same grace the "Weird & Wacky Mods thread"!!
iraghava: ha ha, Sir.

She'll probably require the stickering just to hold her together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
...Must say my car looked much beter then day 1 i got it new. Simply awesome job. With glass treatment i can drive my car without puting the wiper on in rain. .. So friends just hang on

Invinsible:

Sounds good. Drive safe- I'm sure the dealer can fix the niggling rattles and whatnots- don't worry.

Remap coming up: WOW.

(ps. I haven't even heard of some of the treatments you had done on your Fabia, but the glass one is a brilliant idea. Must ask at my local.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
about the brakes: yes its the ABS, its a
warning for you to know that ABS has kicked in...

There you go, naikpranav has the braking problem covered.
Thanks.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 12:36   #527
BHPian

Default Off to see the Queen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Gentlemen: this Fabia story had some keen observers and passionate, capable contributors.

To name but a few:

naikpranav
parichay
ronnyquest
rakesh_raja
nk1969
amit_mind
nipunkul

MadRash...and many more. I've listed out some I managed to trace in my limited time, and the list is in no way exhaustive or complete. We'd love it if you guys added to your story and sent us some new pixels.
Hi ....
me...in the land of the Gunners, the Red Devils, the Queen, Harrods and the Big Ben...have been watching the thread although have got nothing to contribute till I am back home and behind the wheels of my Fabia!
Congrats Raghav...on your 500th post!!!
Catch all you guys soon..with more reviews and pixels...
cheers:
rakesh_raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 13:03   #528
BHPian

Default Oh my Guiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_raja View Post
Hi ....
me...in the land of the Gunners, the Red Devils, the Queen, Harrods and the Big Ben...have been watching the thread although have got nothing to contribute till I am back home and behind the wheels of my Fabia!
Congrats Raghav...on your 500th post!!!
Catch all you guys soon..with more reviews and pixels...
cheers:
rakesh_raja:
Oh, that's why you've been so silent. Anyway, have fun and my love to Lizzy.

BTW it's Rajeev and not Raghav. Thanks for the Vth century wish.
Your Fabia must miss you.
Old 17th July 2008, 12:50   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
... Getting the remap done on this weekend. So
friends just hang on

Invinsible:
Sir, how did the remap go? Is she ready to blow Utah Salt Flats speedsters out of their socks?

Radio Ga-Ga:

Guys, I need help tuning the bloody wireless. I'd set the various FM stations on the radio, but must have hit the wrong button somewhere along the way and everything has slipped. Now, when I hit scan, it finds the station but refuses to 'hold' it in memory.
Plus there's a strange functionality -that is obviously asking me to attach labels to stations eg. Rock, News, Pop etc.- that keeps popping up, so I seem to have strayed from the surface menu into very dark antedeluvian caves.

I know the manual is the obvious way to go, but am a tad lazy and strapped for time.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:36   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Radio Ga-Ga:
Presss "FM" button and "AS" (Auto Store). This button searches for stations and stores 6 stations with good reception. This also works for AM.

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 10:33   #531
BHPian

Default Thank-you, Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Presss "FM" button and "AS" (Auto Store). This button searches for stations and stores 6 stations with good reception. This also works for AM.

Regards
Mahesh S
Mahesh: Thanks a million. That's what 'AS' means- ah, lovely. I can now listen in peace without trying to tune it while driving, and climbing trees or carrying passing autos off with me.

How is your car running? Any long spins?
Old 21st July 2008, 13:08   #532
BHPian

Default Fuel Consumption: the results are in!

My car doesn't have the sci-fi computer gadgetry that tells you how much fuel she is burning at the press of a button, as some of the higher Fabia variants do/have. I went the regular route of paper and pencil and counting milestones as they flit past etc.

The first round of testing threw up pretty dismal figures but that was due to four poorly-inflated tyres- that moral was driven home quite forcefully.
So, 30 litres infused and 5 wheels gassed up as per recommendation, and I set out from the premises of Monsieur Reddy & Sons, gasbags to the Nation, about 10 days ago.

Today, we eclipsed all of 440 kms before that quantity of diesel was exhausted (strange twist of word, isn't it: fuel/exhausted?), making it a rounded off 14.67 kms per litre in Bangalore city traffic.

The driving style adopted:
1) I use the A/C near 100%; when it gets chilly at night, I switch it off for a couple of hundred metres
2) I turn off the engine at all signal/stops in anticipation that the duration of the stop will be over 1 minute- and even if it turns out to be less (in most instances, I find I've stopped for 2-3 minutes)
3) I use medium acceleration and braking ( a considerate foot) except on relatively free stretches like the old Airport Road or Cubbon Road where and IF I see the possibility of hitting and maintaining a decent speed without having to slam the anchors and break momentum

I think this is the best she will do as the scope of improving driving habit etc are minimal to non-existent, and given the conditions; I'm quite happy with the FE. If she's doing 14.6 kmpl in the city, then I don't see 16-17 kmpl as too remote a possibility under highway conditions, and that's about the sweet spot for an engine with her DNA and the kind of car dynamics she has to contend with.
Old 21st July 2008, 14:13   #533
BHPian

Question A small query

Hi Netchef,

I just wanted to ask a small question which will affect my buying decision a lot here.

Can 3 persons sit comfortably at the back in Fabia?

Dear BHPian,

Thread Edited since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st July 2008 at 14:43. Reason: Font tags
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 15:56   #534
BHPian

I personally think 3 people would be a "near-tight" fit in the car. This is mainly because they have marked two buckets at the rear - resulting in a 'projection' for the middle portion.

So with the extra leg room that comes in Fabia, it will be a luxury for 4 but for 5 people it might be a tight fit.

It only dawns after a small while that the car is not as wide as long it is.

disclaimers: my view is mainly from test drive. People who have brought this car say it is ok for 3 people also.
AdvaithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:04   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Hi Netchef,

I just wanted to ask a small question which will affect my buying decision a lot here.

Can 3 persons sit comfortably at the back in Fabia?
ajnagpur:
It all depends, Sir, as 'comfort' is a very subjective term. I have covered 360 kms in 1 day with the car fully loaded, and the rear seat occupied by 3 adult passengers. Of the 3, two were well-built males between 5'10" and 6' tall, and averaging 85 kgs. None complained of being constricted or cramped. Further, their feedback was that the A/C worked excellently at the back and that the audio from the front-only speakers offered decent clarity and good power.

My suggestion would be to consider the distances you will be driving and the passenger load you will be carrying- one equation for short, typical city driving, and another for long journeys.

If you will know the manifesto before hand, that would be to your advantage.

ps. all my passengers on that long trip own/drive in larger cars including the Mitsubishi Lancer, Suzuki Baleno and Ford Ikon, so you know their points of reference.
Old 21st July 2008, 18:06   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvaithC View Post
I personally think 3 people would be a "near-tight" fit in the car. This is mainly because they have marked two buckets at the rear - resulting in a 'projection' for the middle portion.

So with the extra leg room that comes in Fabia, it will be a luxury for 4 but for 5 people it might be a tight fit.

It only dawns after a small while that the car is not as wide as long it is.

disclaimers: my view is mainly from test drive. People who have brought this car say it is ok for 3 people also.
AdvaithC: point, Sir. Perhaps my (central) passenger was just being polite when opting not to grumble about the hump she/he sat on.
Old 21st July 2008, 23:20   #537
BHPian

Smile Thanks

Thank you Netchef, AdvaithC for your valuable inputs.

To tell you, I am very impressed with Fabia PD TDI's (Ambiente) drive, performance, handling & interiors quality. Though its expensive, its the only Hatch with all these features packed + 'Quality' that no other car in this segment can beat.

I will be mainly doing city driving & 1-2 long journeys in a month with 3 persons in the rear seat.

I am planning to test drive again this weekend & this time will take a ride with 3 persons sitting at the back.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:07   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Netchef, AdvaithC for your valuable inputs.

To tell you, I am very impressed with Fabia PD TDI's (Ambiente) drive, performance, handling & interiors quality. Though its expensive, its the only Hatch with all these features packed + 'Quality' that no other car in this segment can beat.
ajnagpur:
Excellent. Good luck. Do let us know your experience with her.
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:31   #539
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to test drive again this weekend & this time will take a ride with 3 persons sitting at the back.
Great. What is the lead time being quoted by the dealers in Pune?
AdvaithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:45   #540
BHPian

Post Lead Time

At Acumen Motors, Pune - mostly the Diesel models are available but the petrol 1.4 & 1.2 has a waiting period of around 2 months. especially the 1.2 is in huge demand.

They are now delivering the 1.2 to the people who booked it in may/june. Infact I am not even getting a test drive of 1.2 petrol due to the shortage. They say that the Kits were hanging at customs due to some reason & because of that there is a shortage.

One more thing, they are calling back the existing 1.2's & upgrading their softwares & the new 1.2's that are being delivered are with the upgraded software.