Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th September 2008, 17:22   #646
BHPian

Lightbulb

Dear NC, you are brilliant waiting to hear how your idea works out in reality. Just read in another thread, the story of a new 1.4 MPI owner and the problems created by the usage of ordinary petrol as recommended by the dealer. He also had the problem of the brake pedals being hard at times. But now, his car seems to be all right as they got the car flushed out totally and fileld it with 'Speed' Petrol.

I did had some brake pedal hardening and it seems Ok after the ECU reprograming. At that time i was using 'Speed'. Now i'm on Xtra Premium..sub kuch ulta pulta ho gaya ?? By the way, one of our beloved members was supposed to get his fabia ECU reprogram on tuesday. Haven't heard from him.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 21:50   #647
Senior - BHPian

Default NO after market power windows for fabia

Hi today i called up some accessories dealers to find out about the power windows for fabia.

Sadly ,i got a reply that no power windows were manufactured for fabia as the volume is less.

The 4 door power windows for swift LXI/LDI is available for 4500/-.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:33   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thank you all for giving me your feedbacks.I am a member here right from 2006 but never participate due to lack of time.But i do read the threads regularly.

Am 95% convinced with fabia but some of the things stopping me are...

Here is the link to the acessories....
Skoda Genuine Accessories
joshguy: Sir, we hope your new car- whichever one you do decide to buy- will bring you to the forum more often. We also hope you will contribute to the wealth and dialogue we have going here so others can benefit from your experience. Ultimately, in more Utopian conditions, it does work that manufacturers will enhance their product after listening to vox poluli...IN THESE PAGES.

IMO:
Resale value (too early for anyone to say)
lack of power windows in base model(active) (something I didn't know)
Dull black and blue interiors in active (gotta live with it, I'd imagine)

thanks for the link to the Genuine accessories site.

[quote=Mysticeyes;964969]Dear NC, you are brilliant waiting to hear how your idea works out in reality. Just read in another thread, the story of a new 1.4 MPI owner and the problems created by the usage of ordinary petrol
... Now i'm on Xtra Premium..quote]

Mysticeyes: Brilliant, Sir? I dunno, but expect some gap between idea and implementation .

Seems puerile that in this day of advanced technology and fuels having become so standardised and prevalent- and nothing drastically new about them to manufacturers- that sturdy cars like the Skoda could become so sensitive to the fuel being used, unless, of course a fuel is adulterated.

Quote:
Hi today i called up some accessories dealers to find out about the power windows for fabia.

Sadly ,i got a reply that no power windows were manufactured for fabia as the volume is less.

joshguy: I don't know how it might impact the warranty on the vehicle and that's another matter altogether, but if you did find an after-market supplier of power window systems, my advice would be not to fit them.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:13   #649
BHPian

Quote:

Joshguy:
As I said earlier, power window is just one feature. Consider the twin air bags and other very important features of Fabia.

After market products will not be available for Fabia until it sells more.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:57   #650

I own a FABIA bought from AUTOGRAPH in MUMBAI. Car number MH-04-DN-8208.

On July 28 there was water clogging in mumbai in many places. I stay in borivali and we had the same problem. Though the water was only 1 to 1.5 feet in most places.

I took my car to the bank. On my way back there was a lil water clogging & hence a lil traffic. In front of my eyes an ALTO & SANTRO went thru the water easily. But as soon as my Fabia went in water, the engine died on me. I was shocked. So pushed the car out from the water and got it toed to NUMMER EINS MOTORS. They informed me that the repair would cost Rs. 60000. I said what the *@*% !!!

TATA AIG quietly refused saying it was CONSEQUETIONAL DAMAGE. And all tries to convince NUMMER EINS that the car was ****, failed. I got tired and told them to repair it at my cost.

I got a call from NUMMER EINS after 7 days, saying they have to put a new HALF ENGINE at a cost of 185000 !!! That did it for me. Also, if at all i say yes, they will order and it will take 15-20 days to come. Add another 6-7 to repair.

The simple problem is, when fabia goes in water, the turbo pipe in the hood, instead of taking in air, takes in the water and damages the engine. The connecting rod and the block gets broken.

I decided i am not paying for it !! I have asked the company to repair it for me under warranty. If not, i will make sure that NO MORE FABIA GETS SOLD IN INDIA. Have also met my lawyer and have decided what steps to be taken to take this to the consumer court.

You'll hear from me soon in papers and also on this site.

SKODA defi not made for india. **** technology !! They should sell fabia with STATUTORY warning - KEEP AWAY FROM WATER. Or just sell it in MIDDLE EAST where they won't have to worry about water.

I read in paper that another guy got a bill for 5 lakhs from skoda for some technical prolem ! Am calling him up today, to pay my condolences.

" 1.5 feet water !! 185000 !! " My wife says I was talking in my sleep last night.

Dont know if this is the right thread, team BHP pls post it where it should be.
tiredfabiaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 16:29   #651
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredfabiaowner View Post
" 1.5 feet water !! 185000 !! " My wife says I was talking in my sleep last night.
Oops. I don't think that it will be designed that bad. But I have no words. If its true, no idea what to say.

Experts: Please give your comments.

Regards
Mahesh S
Old 5th September 2008, 19:50   #652
BHPian

SPARES

This is the one side down of skoda ... they are expensive.

@tiredfabiaowner i am really sad to hear about this .
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 20:55   #653
BHPian

Quote:
But as soon as my Fabia went in water, the engine died on me. I was shocked.

The simple problem is, when fabia goes in water, the turbo pipe in the hood, instead of taking in air, takes in the water and damages the engine. The connecting rod and the block gets broken.

That sound quite scary are you sure the water went in from the turbo intake INTO the engine manifold ? Very unfortunate.
IMO, find out the exact cause of the engine failure, it should not be water entering the turbo, unless it entered from the exhaust pipe.

I did actually drive through 1-1.5 feet of water today in the morning at mahim causeway and then at the approach to reclamation, I guess I will be more than doubly precautious now.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 20:57   #654
Team-BHP Support

Driving through one and a half feet of water is fool-hardy. Just because the Alto and Santro drove through does not make them wise. Ideally never drive through water measuring more than the exhaust pipe or wheel centre
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 17:00   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Joshguy:
As I said earlier, power window is just one feature. Consider the twin air bags and other very important features of Fabia.

After market products will not be available for Fabia until it sells more.
MadRash: very true.

Quote:
I own a FABIA bought from AUTOGRAPH in MUMBAI. Car number MH-04-DN-8208.

to put a new HALF ENGINE at a cost of 185000 !!! That did it for me. Also, if at all i say yes, they will order and it will take 15-20 days to come. Add another 6-7 to repair.
tiredfabiaowner: Firstly, this is the right thread to bring your lament to.
I am REALLY sorry to hear of your predicament with your Fabia, the expense you are staring at, and chiefly the inconvenience.
(And there is a learning in your experience for ALL of us!)

It is a darned shame the treatment being meted out to you and I'm glad you are seeking legal recourse. Whatever accolades we may fling at the company, whatever paens we might launch into regarding the fabia, the bottom line remains that it (our ownership) amounts to a transaction between the owner/s and the company. They need to stand by their customers, at least in as much as is conveyed/implied by their warranty.

I hope you can sort it out favourably and quick.
Sorry, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Oops. I don't think that it will be designed that bad. But I have no words. If its true, no idea what to say.

Experts: Please give your comments.

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash: I myself drove through what sounds like (from his description) much more water, in my Fabia in Bangalore's recent heavy rains. I slowed to a crawl, popped her into first gear, and waded through without lifting my foot off the accelerator. Still, this 'turbo-sucking-in-water' propensity scares the living daylights out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
SPARES

This is the one side down of skoda ... they are expensive.

@tiredfabiaowner i am really sad to hear about this .
chetan: Expensive? Put that in BOLD and in 72 points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
That sound quite scary are you sure the water went in from the turbo intake INTO the engine manifold ? Very unfortunate.
IMO, find out the exact cause of the engine failure, it should not be water entering the turbo, unless it entered from the exhaust pipe.

I did actually drive through 1-1.5 feet of water today in the morning at mahim causeway and then at the approach to reclamation, I guess I will be more than doubly precautious now.
naikpranav: Does anyone know where the air/turbo intake is? My friend fitted a snorkel on his Tempo Gurkha, so perhaps it's the way to go if things look really grim in engineering terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Driving through one and a half feet of water is fool-hardy. Just because the Alto and Santro drove through does not make them wise. Ideally never drive through water measuring more than the exhaust pipe or wheel centre
ajmat: Guys, please take note. I know it's sometimes easier said than done especially when it's pouring cats and dogs, and the traffic leaves you nowhere to layby when faced with a lake of uncertain depth. These cars were never meant as amphibians- and the Skoda engineer sitting in some far off R&D centre had no clue of the sort of 'drainage' glitches we see, so it's the chap behind the wheel that needs to put on the thinking cap.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 18:49   #656
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For a change, I am going to support Skoda India. If you drive a car through floods (1+ feet of water!!), you just cannot blame the manufacturer. Premium cars are allergic to water-logging and will, in most cases, get damaged.

Tiredfabiaowner, I dont think you have a case against Skoda. Don't waste your time in the court. You may win, but the odds are against you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 02:38   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

I think so too.

Never mind Skoda: remind your insurance company that if you had driven the car into a tree they would have to pay up, so why not for the damage from the flood.

Even if it was your fault, it was certainly not your intention to damage your car. They should understand that.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 12:37   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Does anyone know where the air/turbo intake is? My friend fitted a snorkel on his Tempo Gurkha, so perhaps it's the way to go if things look really grim in engineering terms.
The Air intake for the fabia is way up at the top of the grill in the front, its got its own air-duct for cool-air intake, which is about 2' 4" off the ground, besides that, the air filter itself has a sump and a tower arrangement for trapping water, to get water in from there means driving under water above the headlight - level, it isn't so low down that water should enter, nevertheless, I always say, don't drive in any water which is above the upper-rim level of the tires and even at that level, drive at a constant RPM, without splashing, never restart the car if it has stalled under water, I really don't think water would enter into the engine manifold from the air intake, from the exhaust is plausible. I also feel that at this level, the battery will also probably short and you'd have multiple failures, both electrical and mechanical. A very scary thought nonetheless.

Last edited by naikpranav : 7th September 2008 at 12:56.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 12:44   #659
BHPian

A decade ago the road from Pollachi to Coimbatore (in TN), was like a roller coaster. During monsoon seasons, the road will be flooded in many sections. Some places it will be 2 feet deep. I used to drive ambassador and like Mr. netchef mentioned I keep it in first gear and will not release the accelarator until I come out of the water. The only problem I faced after this is that the brake will not work properly as the water enters the brake drums. To warm up, I used to frequently apply brakes until I feel its OK. But I never heard of a damage happened to any vehicle like this.

I browsed through the web about this issue and found that the cars should not be driven in water when the level is above the wheel hub.

The post of tiredfabiaowner was also posted in briskoda by someone else. And even there peoples are againt the idea of driving the car in deep water.

Keep your car safe in Monsoon.
Old 7th September 2008, 16:09   #660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So pushed the car out from the water and got it toed to NUMMER EINS MOTORS. They informed me that the repair would cost Rs. 60000. I said what the *@*% !!!
if you read elsewhere, they are stealers, not dealers. They lost the franchise as of last week
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote