Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2008, 17:05   #661
Team-BHP Support

Mods: I think the tiredfabiaowner issue deserves a separate thread. This one is an ownership report by another user.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 18:51   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_raja View Post
This is the quote that i got for Stanley upholstery (only seats)
Nappa: 36K
Classic: 22K
Touch Classic (genuine leather in front and remaining Art): 16K
Art Leather: 10K
Local brand(non-Stanley): 6-8K with 4 yrs warranty

cheers:

Guys: Stanley increased the prices of their leather seats covers? Yesterday I went to their Chennai branch. A salesperson spent almost 30 mins in explaining things. But the price quoted was too high.

Nappa: 45750
Satin: 33000
Classic:27750
Satin + PVC: 24250

These prices are for the fabia and it includes the door trims.

I have decided to check the Koyas in Coimbatore.

Regards
Mahesh S

Last edited by MadRash : 7th September 2008 at 18:54.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:14   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For a change, I am going to support Skoda India. If you drive a car through floods (1+ feet of water!!), you just cannot blame the manufacturer. Premium cars are allergic to water-logging and will, in most cases, get damaged.

Tiredfabiaowner, I dont think you have a case against Skoda. Don't waste your time in the court. You may win, but the odds are against you.
GTO: I agree with you, Sir. This isn't a volte face: to the contrary, and having slept over it, I'd figured just this myself and was going to write it to the Forum when I spied the flurry of mails.

I empathize with tiredfabiaowner, but he needs to take the most effectual course, rather than the obvious one dictated by emotions.

I think culpability rests with the Insurer- and it's probably unfair (unwise) to hold Skoda responsible. Further, I'm pretty sure the Warranty will carry fine print hidden somewhere to the effect that "...vehicle subjected to normal driving conditions...", which will help Skoda wriggle out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think so too.

Never mind Skoda: remind your insurance company that if you had driven the car into a tree they would have to pay up, so why not for the damage from the flood.

Even if it was your fault, it was certainly not your intention to damage your car. They should understand that.
Thad E Ginathom: I'm no expert, but car insurance usually covers damage due to riots, fire, earthquake and flood, unless opted out.
Tiredfabiaowner aught to check his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
The Air intake for the fabia is way up at the top of the grill in the front, its got its own air-duct for cool-air intake, which is about 2' 4" off the ground, besides that, the air filter itself has a sump and a tower arrangement for trapping water.
naikpranav: Noted, Sir- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
The only problem I faced after this is that the brake will not work properly as the water enters the brake drums. To warm up, I used to frequently apply brakes until I feel its OK.
MadRash: 'Pump the brakes', is what the experts advise, I believe, Sir. You did the right thing, instinctively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
if you read elsewhere, they are stealers, not dealers. They lost the franchise as of last week
ajmat: Wow. A rare occurrance but a good indicator that the Company is no pushover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mods: I think the tiredfabiaowner issue deserves a separate thread. This one is an ownership report by another user.
Eddy: Not true, Sir. It is my story AND that of a bunch of other Fabia owners. However, it's been steeped thus far in bouquets and praise, so in the holistic sense, it does balance things out to have a contrarian present.

tiredfabiaowner has had a traumatic and expensive experience- nasty enough that none of us would ever like to be in his shoes. His story belongs here, and we will do our best to advise him.

Of course, if TFO wants a separate thread, that's his prerogative.

Quote:
Guys: Stanley increased the prices of their leather seats covers? Yesterday I went to their Chennai branch. A salesperson spent almost 30 mins in explaining things. But the price quoted was too high.

MadRash: Whew. For that much greenback, I would hope for not just Italian Leather, but a small patch of Modena as well!
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:22   #664
Team-BHP Support

I guess Tiredfabiaowner should go to court, but for the insurance. Last time I checked, insurance is supposed to pay for flood damage.
They can't get away by saying consequential damage etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:27   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess Tiredfabiaowner should go to court, but for the insurance. Last time I checked, insurance is supposed to pay for flood damage.
They can't get away by saying consequential damage etc.,
tsk1979: I was wondering what in blazes 'consequential damage' meant.
You hit a tree, it's as a consequence of the tree being in your trajectory . Or, if one wants to look at it the other way- to your being where a tree was.
If your bike or car is damaged during an earthquake, that too is a consequence. Same for riots.
Darn jargon.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:03   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Consequential damage is damage that occurrs not from the accident, but as a result of the accident.

Hitting the tree damages the car. Not being able to drive the car may mean you miss an important meeting and loose a deal. The isurance covers the car, not the deal; the deal is "consequential damage".

There is no way that driving into the water and the damage directly resulting can be described as "consequential". If the insurance company wants to wriggle out, they may try it on the basis that it is entirely the driver's fault --- but so might driving into the tree have been. Comprehensive insurance is supposed to cover you for stuff that is your fault.

But then, I once had an argument with an insurance company over the meaning of the word "lost". It was an expensive, top-of-the-range Sony Walkman tape player. I had it when I left home, but not when I arrived. Did it fall from my pocket? Was it removed by a thief? I have no idea. They tried to tell me that I had not 'lost' it because I did not know what had happened to it. They tried to tell me that if it had, for example, fallen into a street drain, it would be 'lost'.

I replied that their example was a nonsense; if it was in a street drain it would not be lost at all, I would know where it was!

The fact that I worked for the company mean that I could walk over to the claims manager and argue the matter face to face, but it also annoyed me that, as an employee, I was not just given the benefit of the doubt --- especially as their foreign ex-pat employs always seemed to manage to get something expensive broken in shipping their property.

Insurance companies are renowned for trying not to pay!

(they did pay me in the end)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th September 2008 at 12:04.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 10:59   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Consequential damage is damage that occurrs not from the accident, but as a result of the accident.

Insurance companies are renowned for trying not to pay!

(they did pay me in the end)
Thad E Ginathom: Legalese seems to make a convenience of language to serve its own twisted purposes- sort of 'obfuscate at all costs'. Or scare the $*^% out of all petitioners so they drop all plans of ever filing a claim.

"...Hitting the tree damages the car. Not being able to drive the car may mean you miss an important meeting and loose a deal. The isurance covers the car, not the deal; the deal is "consequential damage"....".
This makes sense, but not in the case of poor TFO.

"...Comprehensive insurance is supposed to cover you for stuff that is your fault...". True.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:58   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
the red Fabia about which i mentioned in my last post got peted on sunday ... Its 100Bhp now and goes like a rocket , there's no lag what so ever , there's no jerk when we slow down for a hump which can be easily take in second gear ... my cousin , he usually changes gear at 3k rpm on his fabia but in this it reaches 3k in a flash . So its definitely worth it only thing is the price 42k
Hey Chetan, that's great, got my car fabia remapped too about a month and half back and so far been enjoying the drive it's a rocket now, u bet.
Have driven 5k after the remap, my car goes 140 in a flash have pulled it to 180 on the express way where the needle was hovering around 4300rpm, could have pushed it further but seeing the rpm needle felt only was to push it further would be blowing the engine.
Power is nice and smooth upto the redline. Well it costed me 33k for the remap and 5k for the filter. Not sure why he paid 42k.
But must say its truly worth it. Eats the stock verna and laura in ease, but peted verna and laura will be different ball game.
Next on cards is front mount intercooler and custom made air-intake adding another 10-15% of power.

Cheers!
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 01:12   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These prices are for the fabia and it includes the door trims.

I have decided to check the Koyas in Coimbatore.

Regards
Mahesh S
Hi Mahesh, I don't find the price increase here, got my car stanley from their boutique about 2 and a half months back in classic leather which is two color along with door panels and steering wheel which costed me Rs.34500. I was quoted for just seats and door panels in single color about Rs.27500/-.
Got my Honda city done a month back in Satin with door panels costed Rs.39000/- with door panels itself at Rs.8000.
Feel Classic is more worth it.

Regards.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th September 2008 at 01:14. Reason: correction
Old 10th September 2008, 10:42   #670
BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey Chetan, that's great, got my car fabia remapped too about a month and half back and so far been enjoying the drive it's a rocket now, u bet.
1. Just wanted to know whether there is any increase in the fuel efficiency after remap?

2. Will there be any side effects on the engine if one gets the car remapped?
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 17:37   #671
BHPian

[quote=Invinsible;971324]Hey Chetan, that's great, got my car fabia remapped too about a month and half back and so far been enjoying the drive it's a rocket now, u bet.

Cheers![/quote]

Invinsible: Bless you. Enjoy that ICBM and take care.

Quote:
Hi Mahesh, I don't find the price increase here, got my car stanley from their boutique about 2 and a half months back in classic leather which is two color along with door panels and steering wheel which costed me Rs.34500. I was quoted for just seats and door panels in single color about Rs.27500/-.
Got my Honda city done a month back in Satin with door panels costed Rs.39000/- with door panels itself at Rs.8000.
Feel Classic is more worth it.

Regards.
Invinsible: Pure conjecture, but it could be old stock hence old price point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
1. Just wanted to know whether there is any increase in the fuel efficiency after remap?

ajnagpur: If you ask me, the former is best not spoken about, and the latter, well...

but I haven't had my car remapped, AND you didn't ask me!!

TiredFabiaOwner: any luck with getting your Insurer to whip out its wallet?
Old 11th September 2008, 13:40   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Well under city driving when driven in economy mode that is without speeding to much or without much flooring the pedal havnt seen any drop but at times notice drop by 10% or so but thats only bumber to bumber trafic. On highway run when i drove on 100 constant did see an increase by 5 to 10% i can say that as i have the elegance model which shows l/100km earlier in would indicate 4.1L/100kms at 100kmph where now it shows 3.5 to 3.8L/100kms. So when driven sanely yes there is an increase or so. But with the kind of power your right foot its bound to get heavier, and you lend up rocketing it.

2. Well when you talk about side effects its any normal car would have it if you drive insanely flooring and red lining it al the time. With remap you do get tempted to do that but if driven sanely you may infact increase the life of the engine as with increase torgue 1 can drive on higher gear without downshifting as the car would just pull with the extra torgue you have which leads to less stress on engine. I for the fact havent red lined more then 1 or 2 ocasion, I shift up max at 3 to 3.5k rpm. Overal it al depends how to treat your baby, SANELY.

Regards.
Old 11th September 2008, 20:03   #673
BHPian

Thanks a lot Invinsible for answering my query and I appreciate that you have not only answered just for a sake but you have explained it so well.

I think everybody out here must be having these obvious queries/doubts about remapping the car.

Thanks once again & this is what makes Team-BHP the best Forum.
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 10:37   #674
BHPian

Quote:
1. Well under city driving when driven in economy mode that is without speeding to much or without much flooring the pedal havnt seen any drop but at times notice drop by 10% or so but thats only bumber to bumber trafic. On highway run when i drove on 100 constant did see an increase by 5 to 10% i can say that as i have the elegance model which shows l/100km earlier in would indicate 4.1L/100kms at 100kmph where now it shows 3.5 to 3.8L/100kms. So when driven sanely yes there is an increase or so. But with the kind of power your right foot its bound to get heavier, and you lend up rocketing it.

2. Well when you talk about side effects its any normal car would have it if you drive insanely flooring and red lining it al the time. With remap you do get tempted to do that but if driven sanely you may infact increase the life of the engine as with increase torgue 1 can drive on higher gear without downshifting as the car would just pull with the extra torgue you have which leads to less stress on engine. I for the fact havent red lined more then 1 or 2 ocasion, I shift up max at 3 to 3.5k rpm. Overal it al depends how to treat your baby, SANELY.

Regards.
Invinsible: Excellent feedback, Sir. Appreciate it. Kepp them coming.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Invinsible for answering my query and I appreciate that you have not only answered just for a sake but you have explained it so well.

I think everybody out here must be having these obvious queries/doubts about remapping the car.

Thanks once again & this is what makes Team-BHP the best Forum.

ajnagpur: Very true, Sir. We all need to take a page out of Invinsible's book: he took 2 basic, even mundane questions and reverted with the thick end of a scientific response. I look at it this way: if a bunch more Fabia owners with Pete'd cars take the trouble to dig into their grey cells for their true readings (and the laws of probability in any case make those happily variable) and furnish the forum with them, then we the people will have a fairly comprehensive basket of information- part fact, part subjective, part circumstantial- to arrive at our own picture.

And the crux of the thing is variation. There's little point hearing the same from everyone- unless and most unlikely each respondent has got precisely the same readings (which then makes the entire exercise flawed).
Old 12th September 2008, 19:55   #675
BHPian

@ Invinsible sorry i forgot to mention there was green cotton added to the fabia ... bangalore is an expensive place to live in
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote