Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st October 2008, 12:59   #721
BHPian

Default Mia

Not only is Rakesh_Raja missing but a heap of other Fabians too. I can only hope they are ruminating (meaning zooming in pensive manner with accessories) through some bucolic countryside- God's Own Country-side or other sides as well, and will return to the Fold with a whole shebang of Fabia-flavoured stories, random peccadilloes and chiefly tonnes of pixels.

I miss them, and I know the Fabians too do. If anyone has a line out to these folks, please tell them.

Meanwhile, what has become of TiredFabiaOwner and his major woes? Does he need any help/advice? Has he managed to get his problem sorted without dipping into his pocket? Anyone know?

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

Last edited by netchef : 1st October 2008 at 13:00. Reason: aha, can't Edit the Header. It should be all caps.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:43   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Dear Guys,

Hope all the cars around are fit and fine, especially Advaith's. Even my car had some issues in reverse gear couple of weeks back. There was a slight loss of power and fair amount of vibration creeping up while reversing. Thankfully, the issue got sorted out while the service guys resetted the plug.
sir, can you add some details please. It sounds pretty similar to what I am facing (though no vibration) - I will talk to the service guy about it.

I took the car to the Mahavir service center at Hyderabad and what they did is another story Skoda should be aware of. .

I explain the reverse gear problem in details to the supervisor who is nodding his head so much that I already had doubts if he is going to do anything. Also mentioned the rattling sound from left back side.

In the evening:
- mechanic did not bother to drive the car. Not to check the reverse gear not to check the rattling sound.
- firmware upgraded - reply sounded like it was some cure-all medicine. You mention "pickup" they will re-fire the firmware.
- left back side door lock lubricated. Why? no one knows. does it fix the rattling - no!

The most annoying paty of it is they put a hair line type scratch at the left door.

After shouting over my voice and insisting that the dealership owner come there - the supervisor agreed to:
- do buffing to hide the scratch
- take back the car and do a thorough check for the problems.

In fact when I was there two more people complained that their cars given for service were not mended correctly/ fully. Lesson for future - check the service center guys before you buy a car from a dealer. Unfortunately this is the the only one for entire Andhra Pradesh.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st October 2008 at 16:14. Reason: We can understand your feelings, but use lil more refrain. Post edited
AdvaithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:20   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvaithC View Post
Gentlemen, is any of u experiencing a lack of power while reversing Fabia in an upward inclination?
Guys:
I would like to pass some information about the TDI diesel engine. You don't have to press the accelerator to move the car. Start the car, Apply the clutch and put it in the first gear. Now release the clutch slowly (don't accelerate). The car will start moving. You can shift the gear to 2,3 etc.

This is also applicable for the reverse gear. This will be very helpful in city driving and for those who are learning to drive.

I don't know whether it works in the petrol version and other cars. But a friend of mine confirmed that his DZire DDiS too has this stuff(feature?).

AdvaithC: Try it out. Also take the help of hand brake.

MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:58   #724
BHPian

Exclamation

Dear Advaith,

While releasing clutch after slotting into reverse gear, vibrations came up through the body. If you have driven an old Amby, you must have experienced the same while the amby is idling or reversing. And i had to engage the clutch more (to keep up the power) to move backwards.

You are justified to be shouting at the service guys. The same is the case in any area where the delaer got monopoly. My dealer is the sole agency for the entire state of Kerala. Even i had similar experience. Once i gave it for fitting mudflaps at morning and when i went there to take the car back, all the windows were having finger prints+grease in seats. Finally, i had to wait till they serviced the car. But it was worth the wait.

Hope you got back your car in fine condition now
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:12   #725

I took delivery from Autograph Cars, Mumbai of my White Fabia Classic Petrol (1.2) on 30th sep. The car was amost ready for delivery except for one hitch that is, the registration number had not come. This was entirely fault of the dealer as they had not coordinated properly with their registration agent . Anyways I took the delivery of car with temporary registration number along with their designated driver for driving the temporary registerd vehicle. As an added Bonus(whoopie!), I could retain the driver for entire day as the number was to come by 4:30.

l was to take the car for small puja in temple from the showroom, but on the way after driving for about 7 Kms, I noticed the AIRBAG symbol lighted on the dashboard. I called the showroom and they advised me to go their service centre in sakinaka. Once at they the service centre, they were very prompt in attending the problem. They hooked up their diagnostic computer to the car and took about 30 mins. to resolve the problem. After a short trial run, everthing was back to normal. It seems dealer had opened the steering horn cover during painting of the interiors ( I have done my interiors in beige), So they should have actually done the procedure of diagnostics before delivery, but then again sadly it was not done. By the way the interior job of painting the beige interior with silver trim was top notch and very much to my satisfaction.

Initial Impressions

The driving comfort and suspension is very good. It goes over most of the bumps with a mild thud. The car is rev happy but not like my previous car, Maruti Swift. But the overall build quality and interior apperance more than make up for the shortcoming against SWIFT. The engine is little bit whiney and some vibration is observed while engaing the reverse gear.
But, i think this is inherent charateristic of 3 Cylinder engine which should smoothen up within couple of thousand Kms.

I will post photos of the car very shortly. Cheers
amplyfryed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:07   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
I don't know whether it works in the petrol version and other cars. But a friend of mine confirmed that his DZire DDiS too has this stuff(feature?).
This is not really a feature or anything, its just the power that the engine has while idling which can be used for moving the car, a few years back I would drive my maruti 800 around worli sea face without accelerating at all and keeping it in 4th, at 40km/hr, to spend some more time with my girlfriend, the trick still works with all our cars, petrol and diesel, but I don't think its a very good practice to drive a car around taking power only from the idling, besides, the mileage also isnt all that great with turbos.
Nevertheless as you say, it is a very good way for learners to understand thier cars, and how they behave in each gear, I remember my dad asking me to drive upto the 4th gear without accelerating while learning on a Premier Padmini.
about the Tdi: a few of my friends with other di cars have problems accelerating the way I do it, the engine basically has a big sweet spot, its between 1700 rpm - 3200 rpm, where the torque is high, however, the accelerator needs to be pressed variably: flat for highways, slow for slopes, quick for reverse.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:51   #727
BHPian

Default Comparative

A friend who owns a Tata Indica? (the one with the boot) drove my Fabia the other day and his reactions were interesting to note:

On the power and drive dynamics: the Fabia seemed to have more power than the Indica. He's clocked 32 +K on his machine and the most he's pushed her to was 120 kmph, so you could understand that he was astounded when I informed him that I'd done 140Kmph with a full load, and that Team-BHPians have claimed to have touched 180!

nb. neither he nor I have pretentions of being Hakkinens or Walter Rohrls (sp?), so neither was a true 'performance' evaluation or even a scientific comparison, rather a speed level that could be attained in comfort without the attendant stress of race conditions. nb2. he has a young child, so one can easily imagine he'd drive even more cautiously than others. nb3. this in no way attempts to convey that the Fabia is faster or better than the Indigo- it's just a contextual weigh (sound like a Lawyer, don't I?).

On the horn: dismal, limp, bleat in A minor. "What's THAT???"

On the interiors/equipment: He took a great shine to the bells & whistles inside and found a couple of things that took him by surprise (the cooling vent in the glove compartment, for instance). Naturally, he found a few small touches absent and could not figure why (the vanity mirror behind the passenger side visor).

The price: he was shocked at its sticker price. I tried to sell him on the value proposition that she uniquely featured a galvanized body, had twin airbags, and had the more solid and robust Euro-construct compared with -especially- the Jap papier mache Kamikazi transport (sorry for the toes I'm treading on). He didn't seem proselytised and gave me a strange look that read: you're one gullible dummy to swallow the hype spewed out by some smart copywriter, but I shan't say so in deference to your advanced age. My retort, which I didn't spout because I'd like to retain him as a friend long after Monsieurs Tata and Skoda have vanished off the radar: unmentionable .
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:18   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
This is not really a feature or anything, its just the power that the engine has while idling which can be used for moving the car
naikpranav:
Thanks for throwing some light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
A friend who owns a Tata Indica. He didn't seem proselytised and gave me a strange look that read.
netchef sir: not many like the idea of paying more for extra safety and good quality. (Please note, I'm not trying to pun on your friend here). That's why there are less Fabias in India.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:08   #729
BHPian

Quote:
On the horn: dismal, limp, bleat in A minor. "What's THAT???"
You should have made him stand outside the car and then blow the horn, on some of my highway trips when i drive at speeds in excess of 120, There are times when my horn is blowing away to glory, my japanese (car owner) friends ask me why didnt I just buy a train ? the only sad part of the horn is the muted sound inside the cabin which just has no attitude, it fails to impress ANYone, though I love the sound outside.

about safety: I only wish more people would atleast consider safety and the durability of parts, but unless the pricing improves and driving sense of our neighbours on the roads improves drastically, there is nothing we can do eg: the side mirrors of my Swift D which cost 1600/- and fall of when the see a truck, vs the side mirrors of the Fabia which cost 17000/- and would make the bumper of the truck fall off before falling off themselves.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:36   #730
BHPian

Quote:
You should have made him stand outside the car and then blow the horn, on some of my highway trips when i drive at speeds in excess of 120, There are times when my horn is blowing away to glory, my japanese (car owner) friends ask me why didnt I just buy a train ? the only sad part of the horn is the muted sound inside the cabin which just has no attitude, it fails to impress ANYone, though I love the sound outside.
Absolutely Agree..Fabia's horn is just fantastic. My friend's dad said to his son to get the same horn fitted in his civic after sitting in my car..
kunaldhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 01:49   #731
BHPian

Quote:
netchef sir: not many like the idea of paying more for extra safety and good quality. (Please note, I'm not trying to pun on your friend here). That's why there are less Fabias in India.
Well, I thought very few Fabias were being sold. This evening's outing forced me to change my opinion. I saw loads of them while driving through various parts of the city.

I even find a black 1.4 MPI in my office parking lot nowadays!
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 18:35   #732
BHPian

Quote:
naikpranav:
Thanks for throwing some light.

netchef sir: not many like the idea of paying more for extra safety and good quality.
MadRash: Sad but true.
Only a matter of time ere the value of active/passive safety systems, as the overall build of the car, are appreciated. Think Volvo and their image, internationally (I allude to cars).

Quote:

vs the side mirrors of the Fabia which cost 17000/- and would make the bumper of the truck fall off before falling off themselves.
naikpranav: Never thought of it. That's an excellent point and I shall make sure I give the horn a test from the outside.

"...and fall of when the see a truck,..."

ha ha
17,000 Rs for a mirror? I think I'll dismantle them and stash them away under my pillow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Absolutely Agree..Fabia's horn is just fantastic. My friend's dad said to his son to get the same horn fitted in his civic after sitting in my car..
kunaldhami: as an aside, what are the decent brands of air horns in the market these days? I'd fitted Bosch 3 trumpet air horns on my Cielo, but they didn't last very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Well, I thought very few Fabias were being sold. This evening's outing forced me to change my opinion. I saw loads of them while driving through various parts of the city.

I even find a black 1.4 MPI in my office parking lot nowadays!
CBlazer: Black looks good. Little stately, tad kinky.
Old 4th October 2008, 19:26   #733
BHPian

Quote:
as an aside, what are the decent brands of air horns in the market these days? I'd fitted Bosch 3 trumpet air horns on my Cielo, but they didn't last very long..
Most of the Air Horn don't last much. We have used Roots Vibrosonic(Non Air Horn) in our other cars and its quite OK..
kunaldhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 13:04   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Most of the Air Horn don't last much. We have used Roots Vibrosonic(Non Air Horn) in our other cars and its quite OK..
kunaldhami: Gotcha. Thanks. I'm also beginning to wonder if the various Fabias owned by our Esteemed Fabians- obviously bought from across the country and during different time-frames-have been supplied with different horns, as it seems quite improbable that such contrary views can be drawn and co-exist so happily.

One man's meat etc:

How do we test this? Perhaps by uploading bytes of each of our horns? It's not such a big deal to get or want to get into this comparison, but I must admit it has me puzzled. How can someone aver their horn is as minimalistic as a stage whisper with a sore throat, while another swears his can give shaggy cattle a perm at 300 yards?
Old 6th October 2008, 15:28   #735
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pictures my friend

#1 and #6 are calendar worthy.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote