Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 13:25   #751
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Nitrogen Fixation

The last time I measured across my now-standard fuel load of 30 litres, she returned a consumption of 13.5 kms/litre. That's low for city driving, even if one goes by the mayhem that is Bangalore traffic and I wonder if it's because the tyre pressures are down a tad? mea cupla: I haven't checked them in weeks. Should I fill them with nitrogen? Has any Fabiosi (I love the coinage) done it and with what results?

Also, I'm dying to take her out on the highway. The city runs are not satisfying in the least, and stretching her legs is called for- besides, I feel the need for some speed. It has been ages. I envy you gents who -at the drop of a hat- venture out on blasts to scenic places with bottle of wine, girl-friend, camera and other options.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:04   #752
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
The last time I measured across my now-standard fuel load of 30 litres, she returned a consumption of 13.5 kms/litre. That's low for city driving, even if one goes by the mayhem that is Bangalore traffic and I wonder if it's because the tyre pressures are down a tad? mea cupla: I haven't checked them in weeks. Should I fill them with nitrogen? Has any Fabiosi (I love the coinage) done it and with what results?

Also, I'm dying to take her out on the highway. The city runs are not satisfying in the least, and stretching her legs is called for- besides, I feel the need for some speed. It has been ages. I envy you gents who -at the drop of a hat- venture out on blasts to scenic places with bottle of wine, girl-friend, camera and other options.

Hey, I am using nitrogen in my tyres for more then 9000kms now roughly about 3 monts plus, must say it does make a lot of difference even the ride is much much better after using it compared to normal compressed air. The pressure I keep is 33psi in front and 30 at the back. You will find details as to how much pressure to be filled at different situations on the inside of fuel lid cover. Keep the rpm needle above 1.5k range. Don't let it drop below that, if it does you'l be pumping in more fuel to get that pickup/ momentum.
What you waiting for, get her on highway and enjoy what she is capable of. Handling is onething am really impressed with, having driven her on 180 can say it feels like she's on rail.
And get the nitrogen before you take her on the highway.

Enjoy

Last edited by Invinsible : 14th October 2008 at 11:12. Reason: correction
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:38   #753
BHPian
 
Mysticeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 369
Thanked: 347 Times
Talking a tale of 2 nuts or loose nuts in a nut's car

dear guys,

some people say that due to poor indian roads, we should keep the tyre pressure atleast 1 or 2 points up than what is specified by the manufacturers. is it so? The mileage of my baby got stabilized around 11.50km/l now. is that enough for a 1.2 which has done nearly 2500kms? took my car on a highway drive last weekend and kept her constant at 100km/hr with the RPM needle inching about 2500-2800. i hope it's safe for the car. experts, please do put in your valuable advice


one happy news which i would love to share and which might help some owners who have reported the perky rattle snakes in their cars is that i got the rattles fixed last saturday. i was driving along with my friend who was a service advisor with maruti and suddenly, the rattles came up again. i told him about this issue and he had a thorough look at various panels while the car was running. finally, he told me to stop the car and he just put down his hands to the nut which was placed in the slider of the front left seat. the nut was bit loose and he asked me to rotate it with my hand and the nut turned easily. then i checked the nut in the passenger seat and it was the same. soon my friend came up with something he called as "flower", with which he tightened the nut and prestttoooo!!!!! the rattle snakes were killed we then took a drive over rough patches and theres was not even a minor rattlecheers:

Dear netchef, what are you waiting for? just fill her up and hit the pedal and get on the hellway to kerala. may be you would get more creative ideas here. it's just 15 hours drive (can be 12-13 hours also depending on the driver)it's sad to note that ronny's car got into an accident. hope its fit and fine now. have a safe drive.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:36   #754
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Nut screwed and bolted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey, I am using nitrogen in my tyres for more then 9000kms now roughly about 3 monts plus, must say it does make a lot of difference even the ride is much much better after using it compared to normal compressed air. The pressure I keep is 33psi in front and 30 at the back. You will find details as to how much pressure to be filled at different situations on the inside of fuel lid cover. Keep the rpm needle above 1.5k range. Don't let it drop below that, if it does you'l be pumping in more fuel to get that pickup/ momentum.
What you waiting for, get her on highway and enjoy what she is capable of. Handling is onething am really impressed with, having driven her on 180 can say it feels like she's on rail.
And get the nitrogen before you take her on the highway.

Enjoy
Invinsible: Sir, you're the first car owner I've come across who maintains a higher pressure in front tyres vs rear: any particular logic? If yours is a diesel, then I'd imagine it is to offset the extra weight of the engine, else...? Bet it makes the steering lighter.

You've run Nitro for 9K kms- now THAT makes for a case study all right. I'll probably take your advice soon and go the Nitro way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
dear guys,

some people say that due to poor indian roads, we should keep the tyre pressure atleast 1 or 2 points up than what is specified by the manufacturers. is it so? The mileage of my baby got stabilized around 11.50km/l now. is that enough for a 1.2 which has done nearly 2500kms? took my car on a highway drive last weekend and kept her constant at 100km/hr with the RPM needle inching about 2500-2800. i hope it's safe for the car. experts, please do put in your valuable advice

Dear netchef, what are you waiting for? just fill her up and hit the pedal and get on the hellway to kerala. may be you would get more creative ideas here. it's just 15 hours drive (can be 12-13 hours also depending on the driver)it's sad to note that ronny's car got into an accident. hope its fit and fine now. have a safe drive.

Mysticeyes: I'd no idea Ronny had crashed his wheels. Is he ok? What's the update? Real pity.

You'll be the first person I'd inform, Sir, if I were venturing even within 25,000 kms of Kerala. I salivate at the thought of all the goodies God's Own Country has to offer.

You're lucky to have a Service Advisor for a friend, and I'm glad he managed to isolate and fix your rattle and roll. Great going, I say.
Take care and drive safe.

Oops, nearly forgot, your highway speeds/RPM sounds fine to me, but mind you, I'm no expert. My rule of thumb is never strain the engine, even if it means revving her a bit now and then.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 19:43   #755
BHPian
 
MadRash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 241
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
my friend who was a service advisor with maruti
Mysticeyes:
What's your friends comment on Fabia? like the the engine, the build, interior ...

Last edited by MadRash : 14th October 2008 at 19:44.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:50   #756
BHPian
 
Mysticeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 369
Thanked: 347 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Mysticeyes:
What's your friends comment on Fabia? like the the engine, the build, interior ...

He said it would've been better is there were 10-15 more horses under the hood. Even i feel so especially in 1st and 2nd gears sometimes. As for the build & interiors, one can't compare it to maruti,right?
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 11:21   #757
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
He said it would've been better is there were 10-15 more horses under the hood. Even i feel so especially in 1st and 2nd gears sometimes. As for the build & interiors, one can't compare it to maruti,right?

10-15 horses?? Nah! How about 30-35 horses sound. Get the remap and you'll get a complete new car. You'll never realise you driving a 3 pot 1400cc engine. Am sure it will change the way you drive. Just like the way the car pulls from 60 in 5thgear all the way to the top 180.
1st Gear is been made very short i.e. with short gear ratio. I always take my car upto 2k rpm in 1st gear and then immediately take it to 2nd and just like the way the torque pulls you, 24kgm.

NETCHEF: Did you get the tyres the required nitrogen? Try out 32psi in front and 30psi at the back when you get it done, am sure you'll feel the difference, also it is recommended by the skoda, not the dealer but by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th October 2008 at 11:25.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 13:19   #758
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
He said it would've been better is there were 10-15 more horses under the hood. Even i feel so especially in 1st and 2nd gears sometimes. As for the build & interiors, one can't compare it to maruti,right?
Mysticeyes: Extra horses would certainly make a difference- as they would on any car I imagine. As far as my Fabia goes, I've yet to take her up to mind-warp speeds, so more horses is really academic. I know, I know- more BHP and torque will change the driving dynamics of the car almost thru the RPM range, across the gears.

Someone said driving the Swift was like driving a cardboard box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
10-15 horses?? Nah! How about 30-35 horses sound. Get the remap and you'll get a complete new car. You'll never realise you driving a 3 pot 1400cc engine. Am sure it will change the way you drive. Just like the way the car pulls from 60 in 5thgear all the way to the top 180.

NETCHEF: Did you get the tyres the required nitrogen?

Invinsible: Remap is but a dream away! SIGH.
Nitrogen coming up and I'll make sure I remember your settings.

ANYBODY:
Any news on the Fabia 1.9 launch and prices?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 15:06   #759
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Deffinately, boosting it really shows what a turbo can do. Where do you find a 1400 diesel car putting out 100+ horses on 24kgm torque. The car chassis is capable of handling more. Driving on highway with twist and turns with such power is exhilarating.

dont think 1.9 fabia will be here till next year. I guess skoda is going to launch superb first coming december, I am probably guessing 1.9 fabia will be here by feb, march.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 16:26   #760
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Czech Mate

I've been a Chuppa Rustom all this while and it's for reasons other than philosophical or automotive. Anyway, it's been a pleasure reading the varied and far-flung and picturesque reports of you Fab Fabiosi and I'm indeed amazed at the sheer variety of topics, the intriguing angles you gents bring along and so much more. makes Fabia a Fabulous land to be. keep the flag flying, Sirs. My baby is only nearing her 4k milestone and it's been colourful but chiefly uneventful as a journey goes. Come the last set of Pujas and a keen and concerned friend did the needfull so she was decked-out in flowers and chanted mantras at, and annointed with delicate 'code' to keep the evil eye away. But thanks to that or not, she runs beautifully and we've sort of settled into a rhythm now. There's little to her paradigm I'd like to change. People recommend a remap and performance accessories, but she's right the way I want her, and in a sense, a complete package: no point having her accelerate like an excited Porsche when her body and suspension can only do as much as it does. Same goes for Recaro seats or upgraded braking. Little mileage in those bells and whistles. (And this is not to decry those among our Mates who've made the effort and put down their cash for various goodies- like I said originally, this car is for my parents and their needs are limited.)

The Fuel Consumption: she measured around 14.5 kmpl the first few times I counted, but this last experiment yielded a measly 13.5. Since I've been driving the same roads, and under mostly mirrored conditions it didn't make sense at first, till I remembered the tyre pressures. And there it was: I was down on all four by around 10%. let's see how it does now. The other facet I only discovered recently- in truth, my friend found it when he was vacuuming the car -is that my Fabia has a tiltable steering, which was news to me as I always figured it was a gizmo that only came on the Hi-Calorie versions (R_R is always beating me up for being so self-deprecating, so don't show him). Lovely. Wonder what more surprises she has up her Czech sleeve?

Invinsible: Thanks.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 17:14   #761
BHPian
 
xtremeshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef;

[U
ANYBODY:[/u]
Any news on the Fabia 1.9 launch and prices?
Hi, i'm new to this thread, i must say i've enjoyed reading all 51 pages.

I spoke to Mr.Paras from Gurudev Motors Chennai and he said the fabia will not be lauched with the 1.9 L motor but the Fabia Roomster will.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 20:19   #762
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai, Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 142
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
I spoke to Mr.Paras from Gurudev Motors Chennai and he said the fabia will not be lauched with the 1.9 L motor but the Fabia Roomster will.
That is a good possibility, there was a Silver Fabia combi at the Autobahn showroom last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
The Fuel Consumption: she measured around 14.5 kmpl the first few times I counted, but this last experiment yielded a measly 13.5.
Invinsible: Thanks.
This is something that has puzzled me quite a bit, in the 10000km that i have driven, 0-5000 : 18km/l almost consistently
5001-7500 : 17km/l
7501-8500 :16km/l
8501-10000: 15.5km/l

These are rounded off, but I think it is conveying the message, I have no clue why the mileage is reducing, the service advisor at Autobahn reset the ECU at 10000, but there hasn't been any improvement. My Theory is that I have been driving it a little harder lately, and even harder as I get used to it more and more, but I didnt expect such a dip. moreover, the car does 80km/hr - 120km/hr most efficiently, i havent got the initial figures no matter how hard I try.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 00:22   #763
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Pranav: Am sure it is got to do with your hard driving. I was intially geting at avg of around 14-15kmpl until at 3500kms I got it remapped after which I noticed a drop in mileage may be coz I was enjoying pushing it. It droped to 13.5 kmpl or so. After the 1st service I noticed that the mileage has gone up, the car was more smoother, the pick up was much better now. And when driven sanely the avg I have been getting is around 16 or so. With more of western express highway trips. Recent trip to lonavla with sanely driving and not doing more 120, accept few occasions where I took it as much as it could, driving another 50 kms in city, total of 280 in just 13L of fuel, averaging 21.5kmpl and not to forget its remapped. I feel the added torque has helped me get that figure.
I am sure it depends a lot on how you treat the pedal. But, am sure its irresistible to drive such a beauty sanely all the time. One can get addicted to torque. Am sure am.

Fabia Combi with 1.9, that will be great. I feel the car looks good, well proportioned compared to actavia combi. And with 1.9 and that added luggage space and features, I think it might do well. But Indian market is unpredictable, am guessing its not yet ready for the station wagons.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th October 2008 at 00:30.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 01:09   #764
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default One Reason for Low Average.

A lot of time we don't realise this but one of the reason for getting such low average, could be due to clogged air-filter. Am sure many here don't think so. But, let me put in, if the air-filter is clogged, one is bound to see a drop in mileage. With a clogged filter the MAF( mass air flow) sensor which is present just after the filter, senses the filteration and measures the amount of air coming in the engine. With less air getting sucked it sends the signal to the ECU/ECM which in turn to generate power puts in more fuel percentage then required. Thus at times one will notice the black smoke coming out when pushed harder which is nothing but the unburnt fuel, coz of the clogged filter. Which happens coz there is not right ration of air and fuel, where right amount of air(oxygen) is needed in order to burn the fuel in a obitmized way.
Let me give you one example if you cover your nose with a thick layers of cloth one will start to breathe heavily after certain period of time while doing any activity. Which means to generate more energy in you with the help of oxygen, you start to breathe heavy to get that required percentage of oxygen to do that particular activity. The same way if the filter is not clean enough for the air to pass freely it will put in more fuel to generate that power required as per the load on the engine.

In short get your filter replaced or cleaned with the help of high pressure air. best would be to replace the filter, even though the service advisor would tell you is not needed, insist on replacing it. I had cleaned my filter twice before the 1st service which was at 10000kms or so. And got it replaced during the service. Mind you even though I have a remap am still using the stock filter as against the advised performance replacement filter. Just replace the filter am sure you will notice the difference in mileage figures. Am sure it will help.

Cheers

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th October 2008 at 01:17.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 13:54   #765
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hi, i'm new to this thread, i must say i've enjoyed reading all 51 pages.

I spoke to Mr.Paras from Gurudev Motors Chennai and he said the fabia will not be lauched with the 1.9 L motor but the Fabia Roomster will.
xtremeshock: YOU HAVE READ ALL 51 PAGES???? That, Sir, testifies to your patience and whatnot. Congrats. It's a pleasure to have you with us and do keep coming back. That's not all. Please feel free to query our knowledgeable gang, add your inputs and generally interact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
This is something that has puzzled me quite a bit, in the 10000km that i have driven, 0-5000 : 18km/l almost consistently
5001-7500 : 17km/l
7501-8500 :16km/l
8501-10000: 15.5km/l

These are rounded off, but I think it is conveying the message, I have no clue why the mileage is reducing, the service advisor at Autobahn reset the ECU at 10000, but there hasn't been any improvement. My Theory is that I have been driving it a little harder lately, and even harder as I get used to it more and more, but I didnt expect such a dip. moreover, the car does 80km/hr - 120km/hr most efficiently, i havent got the initial figures no matter how hard I try.
naikpranav: Sir, that's strange, but you seem to have a pretty scientific handle on the measurement so it doesn't seem likely that there's error in your readings.

It is possbile that you now drive harder and that you were consciously or unconsciously babying the new car...something most of us do. If that pattern doesn't explain it, you must get Skoda on the job rectifying it for you.

Aside: I had a similar experience on my FireBlade, though not related to her thirst. I was convinced that the brakes -once extra sharp and capable of stopping her on a dime when I got the bike- had faded, and just could not swallow my mechanic's explanation that since I'd got used to the power, I'd begun using more of it than in the embryonic stages of my relationship with the bike when I was nervous as Hell and could have gone faster on a Hero bicycle. Turned out he was right. I flew in new liners from the US and they made not a tad of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Pranav: Am sure it is got to do with your hard driving. I was intially geting at avg of around 14-15kmpl until at 3500kms I got it remapped after which I noticed a drop in mileage may be coz I was enjoying pushing it. It droped to 13.5 kmpl or so. After the 1st service I noticed that the mileage has gone up, the car was more smoother, the pick up was much better now. And when driven sanely the avg I have been getting is around 16 or so. With more of western express highway trips. Recent trip to lonavla with sanely driving and not doing more 120, accept few occasions where I took it as much as it could, driving another 50 kms in city, total of 280 in just 13L of fuel, averaging 21.5kmpl and not to forget its remapped. I feel the added torque has helped me get that figure.
I am sure it depends a lot on how you treat the pedal. But, am sure its irresistible to drive such a beauty sanely all the time. One can get addicted to torque. Am sure am.

Fabia Combi with 1.9, that will be great. I feel the car looks good, well proportioned compared to actavia combi. And with 1.9 and that added luggage space and features, I think it might do well. But Indian market is unpredictable, am guessing its not yet ready for the station wagons.
Invinsible: 21.5 on a remapped engine is stratospheric. lovely.
I agree with you on station wagons being premature for the Indian market, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
A lot of time we don't realise this but one of the reason for getting such low average, could be due to clogged air-filter. ...
In short get your filter replaced or cleaned with the help of high pressure air. best would be to replace the filter, even though the service advisor would tell you is not needed, insist on replacing it. I had cleaned my filter twice before the 1st service which was at 10000kms or so. And got it replaced during the service. Mind you even though I have a remap am still using the stock filter as against the advised performance replacement filter. Just replace the filter am sure you will notice the difference in mileage figures. Am sure it will help.

Cheers
Invinsible: You've a valid point there. Standard maintenance procedures will stipulate a milestone for cleaning of the air filter among other things, but it's averaged out. Driving conditions vary dramatically, so a car driven mainly in 'clean' environs might show no clogging at the end of the recommended maintenance period while one driven in severe conditions might eclipse the 'safe' level long before the interval is reached. It's up to the car owner to de-brief the Skoda Service chaps.

Which brings me to another question: is the air filter on the Fabia a disposable paper one or a wet-sponge type?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI kunaalsaigal Hatchbacks 34 1st June 2011 18:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks