Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th December 2008, 13:10   #856
BHPian

Update: My Front "Skoda" Badge was also, have posted about it in this thread Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Mumbai: car logo theft / monograms stolen) Thinking of what to do..
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 14:45   #857
BHPian

Exclamation calling all fabiosi

dear freinds, did you guys reads in another thread that a guy got 30km/l in fabia . is it possible? anyway he has mentioned it's his friend's car and its '1.1'. don't know how true it is. but if its true, then this guy would have a long waiting line outside his home, made up of poor souls like us who would want to exchange our cars with his car

here is the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-mumbai-2.html
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 17:21   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Update: My Front "Skoda" Badge was also, have posted about it in this thread Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Mumbai: car logo theft / monograms stolen) Thinking of what to do..
naikpranav: Oh no. Drat. How much will a replacement cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
dear freinds, did you guys reads in another thread that a guy got 30km/l in fabia . is it possible? anyway he has mentioned it's his friend's car and its '1.1'. don't know how true it is. but if its true, then this guy would have a long waiting line outside his home, made up of poor souls like us who would want to exchange our cars with his car

here is the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-mumbai-2.html
Mysticeyes: how and where did the gent get a 1.1 litre Skoda? To my knowledge, the smallest engine they supply here is the 1.2. Am I wrong? Anyway, if those fuel consumption figures are right, he needs an Oscar. and Booker as well. I get a paltry 16kmpl (last round of testing). BUT, I'm happy. Not ecstatic, just happy. Take care, mate.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 19:25   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
[/b]
uneet: Someone else had a similar problem but yours does sound more intense. I guess we all need to watch for this now it's been flagged. Any chance that it could have been caused by leaves etc?
Well not really sure about the Leaves, but dust seemed to be the main culprit. Now let's see if the problem persists than surely would need to take the matter to the authorities.
uneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:32   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
Well not really sure about the Leaves, but dust seemed to be the main culprit. Now let's see if the problem persists than surely would need to take the matter to the authorities.

uneet: Dust seems hardly likely, especially across such few kms/months of usage. Would they have set such a fine mesh to them airways? Beats me!
Old 19th December 2008, 12:22   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplyfryed View Post
Mysticeyes:
The Pirahana security was installed by Autocop, but billing was done by Autograph cars, so as to protect the warranty clause of the car.
Looks like we live in the same building buddy. Cheers
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:10   #862
BHPian

Hi Guys:
Sorry for not showing up for quiet some time. My car met with a minor accident and it ended up staying off road for almost a month.

I really don't understand Skoda's strategy to monopolize their dealer in each states (with few exceptions).

I wasn't satisfied with Gurudev motor's service. They were money minded and not at all bothered about customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplyfryed View Post
I have done the interiors of Fabia 1.2 Classic in Biege. The mod was done by Autograph cars (Dealer of Skoda).
amplyfryed:
They painted the interior? how is the paint quality and how much they charged for it?

I paid Rs 2K for painting the door handles and rear view mirror cover to match my car's body color.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 18:39   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Hi Guys:
Sorry for not showing up for quiet some time. My car met with a minor accident and it ended up staying off road for almost a month.
amplyfryed:
They painted the interior? how is the paint quality and how much they charged for it?

I paid Rs 2K for painting the door handles and rear view mirror cover to match my car's body color.
MadRash: Good to have you back, while empathateic about your prang. Hope it wasn't serious. You guys are adventurous all right, painting mirrors and door handles. Way to go. I'll bet your cars look smashing (a poor choice of term, eh ?)
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:39   #864
BHPian

Bad things have been happenning to my car lately, after the badges got stolen, i had stopped for a traffic light at jacob circle when a BEST bus hit the drivers side rear wheel arch, took it to Autobahn and he said "We'll have to take off the entire rear panel and put in a new one, which will take 15 days or so because the panel comes from germany and its not available with the factory", the estimate was 30-35,000 /- for the whole job, and he was suggesting i take it under insurance, however, I think that was the most ridiculous thing to do, to replace an entire panel for a dent and that too the wheel arch not being a structural component, cutting up the body at a place which would affect the structure of the car and waiting for so long for all that. So I took it to my old painter, who fixes all my other cars, he's good at his work and took the dent off without any cutting or welding, its getting painted today, and will cost me about Rs. 1100 - 1200/-. The badges cost 1100/- each, thinking of sticking them on with Araldite, as i have thorougly looked into the fitting and i never need to take them off.
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:44   #865
BHPian

Talking

Sorry to hear that fabiosis had minor accidents & dents services.Hope that such things won't repeat. The guys at Skoda service certainly do scare you out of years growth mentioning about the replacement. This makes me wonder something else. Suppose if the service manager's dad get a minor cut ih his hand (god forbid such things won't happen), would the manager replace his dad in total???? i know this is a sort of rude comment, but i really felt like letting off the steam inside. Mods please forgive me.

Meanwhile, my baby is into 4th month with me and have run in 3575 Kms now. It is mostly under wraps now except on weekends. Hope to take it for a long spin this week coinciding with my full-week-off from workcheers:. Gave her a nice wash today mornning and as requested by fabiosis, i'm uploading some snaps with the tints.

Happy B'day Baby

After tinting with Garware SRC

Tints under the shade

Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:27   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Bad things have been happenning to my car lately, after the badges got stolen, i had stopped for a traffic light at jacob circle when a BEST bus hit the drivers side rear wheel arch, took it to Autobahn and he said "We'll have to take off the entire rear panel and put in a new one, which will take 15 days or so because the panel comes from germany and its not available with the factory", the estimate was 30-35,000 /- for the whole job, and he was suggesting i take it under insurance, however, I think that was the most ridiculous thing to do, to replace an entire panel for a dent and that too the wheel arch not being a structural component, cutting up the body at a place which would affect the structure of the car and waiting for so long for all that. So I took it to my old painter, who fixes all my other cars, he's good at his work and took the dent off without any cutting or welding, its getting painted today, and will cost me about Rs. 1100 - 1200/-. The badges cost 1100/- each, thinking of sticking them on with Araldite, as i have thorougly looked into the fitting and i never need to take them off.

Hey Pranav thats really sad, sorry to hear about that. My fab too got a some minor dents on it front left fender and little over the bumber. Some lunatic came straight on to it. had scratches all over it on to the door as well but luckily just superficial scratches so removed them with a rubbing compound. whats left is the dent. Checked with Autobahn too and they told me they would have to replace the left fender. Estimated cost would be around 12K. But they would have to call for the fender. Thinking of getting it done on my next service which is due shortly. Anyways, like to know about this guy who's doing your car. Is there any color difference. Would be great if you could PM me the pick of it as well as where this painter is put up, as you and me have same color fab.
Araldite would be safer bet. Also suggest use some double sided tape along with it to make it for rigid.

Thanks.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:50   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey Pranav thats really sad, sorry to hear about that. My fab too got a some minor dents on it front left fender and little over the bumber. Some lunatic came straight on to it. had scratches all over it on to the door as well but luckily just superficial scratches so removed them with a rubbing compound. whats left is the dent. Checked with Autobahn too and they told me they would have to replace the left fender. Estimated cost would be around 12K. But they would have to call for the fender. Thinking of getting it done on my next service which is due shortly. Anyways, like to know about this guy who's doing your car. Is there any color difference. Would be great if you could PM me the pick of it as well as where this painter is put up, as you and me have same color fab.
Araldite would be safer bet. Also suggest use some double sided tape along with it to make it for rigid.

Thanks.
His name is Arif, his chacha Babubhai does the denting and stuff, at Kurla. we got late today to compare the colour today so I couldn't give the go-ahead, ill be going again tomorrow and it will be done hopefully, will post pictures of "After" then, the denting work atleast seems good, if the paint doesn't happen i might give it to autobahn for that, but they are utterly useless.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:15   #868
Senior - BHPian

Post Hello to all here..

Hello Member mates,

I've been following this thread for almost a week now and I join previous members that have commented, to say it's a fantastic one, stated by Netchef but now contributed by many. I think this thread's title needs to be amended, since it's not just Fabia diesel that's being discussed here, but petrol too. No one looking [or interested] in a Fabia should miss this thread.

Netchef: I always try and seek to improve on the little english that I'm knowledgeable of, but your vernacular abilities make me constantly realise that I've a looong way to go, to get to half as close to the english, that you use here. Simply said, WOW.

Ok. Why am I here? Let me explain. very recently, I'd been prodded by my colleague to also consider the Skoda Fabia since a variant was priced for Rs.618000/- post the recent CENVAT price reduction by 4%.. Ludicrously tempted, I checked out the Fabia by calling a dealer and arranged for a TD, but I soon realised [post TD] though it looks excellent, the classic wasn't well spec'ed and I wanted better.

Now please do take note that my initial hatchback car budget was Rs.609000/- before I was nudged towards the Fabia. After the TD of the classic, I went to the showroom and also saw the variant that is named 'Ambiente'. Alluring name, that. Post the detailed walkthrough of what the car had, as opposed to the 'Classic', I was shown the new price list that reflected 'Ambiente's' price to be Rs.74000/- more than the 'Classic' variant.

Hmmm. This sure was going to be an interesting justification to my folks, who I passionately involve in all major decisions I take, and who also think a 'small' hatchback Getz is costly for 6 lakhs. While at this showroom [where I went to see the 'Ambiente'], I also requested a TD of that variant. They came down to my office and we had a short zippy drive on the intermediate ring road. The vehicle drives in a solid manner and the build quality reflects. Suspension is very good too, though not as overtly soft as the Getz. Interiors are amazing and can easily challenge those of some C class sedans. Power of the 1.2ltr engine seems to be exceedingly adequate for city use, but I'm not sure if this vehicle can hold speeds of more than 120 continuously on highways [it possibly could, I just don't know]. I have 2 immediate highway drives to make post purchase [immediately here is after a time delay of 2-3 weeks] and need good highway drivability.

I'd gone back home, got down to some calculations and discussions and finally computed that I could manage the Ambiente variant without a financial 'strain'. However, I had to wait, since my home loan is still currently under process and it would take a week's time of it's fate. I also have to keep a buffer amount stashed, should my loan amount approved get dipped by a couple of lakhs [I know a few people who had received less funding than what they'd asked for, very recently].

Meanwhile, I've been reading this thread and the others, on the Fabia, and came across a thread [or two] on the Fabia 1.4 MPi [oh why did I?]. Won't a 1.4 with 85bhp be sufficient for highway use, I thought to myself. The first dealer I talked with, mentioned Skoda had stopped sales of the 1.4 MPi since those engines have a problem with the quality of fuel sold in India. Doubting this [since this dealer may simply have no stock and wanting to push an 'Ambient' on me], I called upon the only other Skoda dealer in Bangalore, and requested them if they could show me an 'Elegance' [oh, what florid variant names] 1.4 MPi. They gladly brought the Elegance for TD the next evening to my office. At first glance, I noticed the sunroof and the projector headlamps; they looked cool on a hatchback [Ok, I know the i10 also has a moonroof, which too is cool. Happy?]. The sales associate fully explained and demo'd each feature, very patiently, and then we proceeded for the TD. [This is the first time I'd seen a Sun & Moon roof operate. I don't know how useful it would be, but a very lovely feature indeed. My fiance may find this extremely fancy]

Indubitably, this variant [of engine] is silent thant the 1.2 [4 cylinders vs. 3 cylinders being the cause, I take] and also pulls well. On the same Intermediate ring road, we touched 125 on the way back (which I didn't realise before I looked at the odo), from the Ejipura singal all the way to the mid of the road, where vehicles coming from EGL/Dell offices take a U-turn to drive towards Indirangar/Domlur/Airport Road [Bangaloreans may comprehend what I'm stating here]. SOLID and I'm sold.

[Quick big note: We're not a family that's sitting on a cash pile or spending extravagantly on all our materialistic wants (yup, a car for us now is more want than need, but I agree the Fabia is more the 'Need' than a want], but we'll now by moving into our own house which has parking space best only for vehicles under 4 meters, and I wanted to get a car that I wouldn't need to change after 5 yrs or more, and also considering that Fabia is the best car that, IMHO, can be purchased, which is under 4 meters. Still, the Sun & Moon roof, the parktronic sensors and armrest are little features that my fiance will not need or ask, but surely will put a smile on her face, that I treasure more than money or it's worth, which is why I so want to buy this beauty over any other]

Reality check!! Cost of purchase now moves from Rs.609000/- to Rs.692000/- to Rs.811000/- . Now, I've gone past the justification end of possible attempts to convince folks, and I'm now blatantly crazy to consider a car [note, not just hatchback car but any car... lol] for 8 lakhs, according to my folks [they're right though. 8 lakhs is no joke by any measure, for a family like ours, and we don't splurge like this, ever]. It's difficult still, I'm yet to convince, but I know for a good reason that this is the car I need to buy for us. For our lovely new house. For me, too.

The sales associate from the dealer that allowed me the 1.4 MPi TD, came over to my place of work today, and explained that the color I need is not available and that only 2 white 'Elegance' are available. A new 'Elegance' in the color of my choice will take about 3 weeks now, he tells me. Also, the 3yrs/50000 kms Prev. Maintenance offer remains valid only for vehicles invoiced on or before 31st of this month, so I need to book and invoice one before 31st. If not for the 3yrs/50000kms PM offer, I will not be able to purchase any Fabia [what with the service costs, I'll be broke in less than 5 yrs and also the car would end up on the TBHP Marketplace thread]

I've asked the dealer to get back to me on the possibility of the 'Elegance' with the color of my choice, by this week, so I can book it and try to push for delivery by atleast the 15th of Jan.

Offer I've got from the dealer on Fabia 1.4 MPi 'Elegance': Payment of 1st year Insurance to be borne by the dealer [that's a discount of 20K] + mud flaps, Teflon coating and Sun Film [lovely, since I never asked for these at all (no, I didn't miss the car mats, the Elegance trim comes with them installed)]. Final "price" I would pay would be Rs.791000/- and the title of a 'madcap' by folks and family.

Wow. I didn't realise as I penned this, but this is one very long post. Honestly, sorry about this ridiculously long post, since this isn't a proper TD initial report or an Initial Ownership report either. I'm really sorry and apologise to anyone who thought it was one, when you began reading, only to be disappointed in the end. I only wrote all of this, since I thought it would be beautiful to explain why I consider upping my budget, with a bunch of people who look at the Fabia passionately. I'd be most fortunate to own one and be here as an owner, rather than a mere guest.

Friends, this post is here, mainly because I wanted to ask and get response for 2 questions [Yeah, I hear you say "Yeah, right"]. I wrote an email to Skoda in an attempt to obtain answers from them, but no luck so far, given 2 full 2 business days.

1. Has anyone from this thread, the forum or the news media, heard of Skoda temporarily or eternally ceasing production of the 1.4 engine model of the Fabia? If you could confirm, it will be a great help you'll be extending to me, so I don't end up being the clown, giving in to buying an old stock that the dealer is trying to push on me [which would then confirm dealer no.1 wasn't being dishonest].

2. If Skoda still sells the 1.4, can I then use regular petrol on the car or should I only use these 91 or 97 [not sure what number] octane rated petrol? I'm already exxxttteeenndddiing my budget here, and would be famished to cough up more for costlier petrol [I'm already very excited that petrol prices are going south]. If the former is not acceptable a alternative for the latter, then I might have to go back to looking at the 1.2 'Ambiente'.

Sorry again members if you had spent your valuable time reading this, and I thank you for if you did. If you have any input that could help me [goading me to buy or asking me to refrain for any reason], please know that I truly appreciate and welcome it.

Thanks much! aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:10   #869
BHPian

Dear aK,

Welcome ! we would all be very glad to have you and your experiences with the car here, as a matter of coincidence, I had also felt that the Fabia Tdi (@9L) was a bit high up, so I did also go and test (or atleast sit in) every other car in that price range, our only other option was the Octavia, which may be going out, and doesn't come in L&K anymore. You will love the Fabia, and it will never let you down.

Hoping to see pictures very soon !
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:46   #870
Senior - BHPian

Ajay, ask them what kind of petrol the 1.4 requires. Normally, just about every vehicle that is sold here doesn't require premium fuels. The only ones that do are the high performance sports cars like the BMW M series (which are completely imported and don't go through a homologation process).
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote