Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd December 2008, 14:18   #871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hello Member mates,
1. Has anyone from this thread, the forum or the news media, heard of Skoda temporarily or eternally ceasing production of the 1.4 engine model of the Fabia? If you could confirm, it will be a great help you'll be extending to me, so I don't end up being the clown, giving in to buying an old stock that the dealer is trying to push on me [which would then confirm dealer no.1 wasn't being dishonest].

2. If Skoda still sells the 1.4, can I then use regular petrol on the car or should I only use these 91 or 97 [not sure what number] octane rated petrol? I'm already exxxttteeenndddiing my budget here, and would be famished to cough up more for costlier petrol [I'm already very excited that petrol prices are going south]. If the former is not acceptable a alternative for the latter, then I might have to go back to looking at the 1.2 'Ambiente'.
Well I have purchased my Fabia 1.2 L petrol Ambient 1 month back. So I am not an expert to answer your Q. but what I feel is that, you should go for 1.2L Ambient if you have such doughts in mind and this will also be easy on your pocket. As far as the speed goes I didn't have an highway trip yet but still managed a speed of 140 Kmph at night on Gurgaon expressway. The car was quite stable at that speed and I could have tried crossing that speed if my mom and dad were not sitting with me.
Before my purchase I also conceders 1.4L Petrol Elegant model but I read somewhere that it requires 93 octane petrol and my dealer confirms me when I asked him. Dealer told me Skoda engines are built for high performance and even 1.2L petrol engine requires 91 octane petrol (normally available on all pumps as Speed/ high performance petrol) and 1.4L petrol requires 93 octane (Limited availability). I don't have a nearby pump providing 93 octane petrol so the choice for me was clear. Things like sunroof and parking sensors was not in my consideration and also you can add them latter if you like in the Ambient model.
Now as far as discontinuing of 1.4L petrol variant is concerned, it didn't seems likely to me as I have herd that Skoda is going to come with new and bigger engine option in Fabia soon like 1.9L diesel currently used in Octavia.

Hopping this will help you make your mind.
VikCho
VikCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:55   #872
Senior - BHPian

Post In a Quandry

Hi Fab-mates,

Naik: Thanks a lot. I hope to be an owner too and join in here soon. I don't doubt what you say here. No matter which model and variant I end up buying, I don't think the Fabia will ever let me down.

VikCho: Thanks for your inputs too, sir. I am considering the 'Cappuccino Beige' in 1.2 Abmiente if not for the 1.4 Elegance in white. I would hopefully take a decision by tomorrow. I'll keep everyone informed here. 140 kmph btw is a good speed if the vehicle is stable at that speed. Excellent for a 1.2.

I got a call from the dealer today, and heard some unpleasant news. Apart from 2 white 1.4 MPi elegance, the dealer does not stock any other colors and also that Skoda is not selling any 1.4 now, since the vehicle is up for some cosmetic changes [was told, some side skirts, changes to seat fabrics, sport pedals, change in design of alloys , etc.] to bring the same as a sports model. This will be release and available only from last week of Jan 2009 [doubtful] or sometime in 1st week of Feb 2009 [likely] per the dealer, and for a nominal increase in price, of between Rs.15000/- and Rs.20000/-. Hah.. Nominal.

Sigh! For the first time in life, I thought I'd be getting a car that is considered 'luxury', with beige interiors and all. Now, that interest is killed. Only 1.4 Elegance TDi [read diesel], available in silver and red, come with beige interiors, and this is a model & variant I cannot stretch to or afford. So it's either the White Elegance or any 'C Beige' or 'Silver' Ambiente 1.2. I could add the Armrest and Parktronics with them activated, but cannot add the projector headlamps kit or sunroof and other minor frills.. Tough situation...

On the way back from the showroom to my home, I saw a white i10, a white ford fiesta and also a white Toyota Corolla. I kept staring at them like I've never seen a car before [that's what its occupants may have thought while I was seated inside an auto]. The white doesn't seem to be bad or ugly, just that it's not my first favored color.

Just as I write this, I got a call from a gentlemen from Skoda Aurangabad, Maharashtra. I'll avoid posting names here, but he is also the gent that replied to my initial memo, sent to them [which I explained in my previous post]. He has assured me that the 1.4 MPi does not have any problems and does not choke or knock on regular fuel. The software for the vehicles have been updated, he states and they pose no problems as it did when they launched [and he also stated that they did a recall for update at that time]. I've also read about the recall of the Fabia for updates, so then his last statement is genuine.

For my 2nd query, he stated that the current production of 1.4 MPis are not completed yet, since they have a short supply of some kits that they source from a vendor and hence the management has put the 1.4 on hold, but have allowed the dealers to sell their existing 1.4 stock. He also mentioned that Skoda, if it finds that there are any issues with any vehicle, will recall and set them right, then be silent about it. Whatever. As long as the 1.4 MPi won't give any issues, I'm fine with owning one from the current lot [I cannot wait for upgrades, updates and additional amount].

Dear Fabiosis [is that what you call Fabia owners in here, or the Fabia itself?],

I would like to see what you guys have to say about a white Fabia with chik black interiors. Do you think it would look nice too, or simply plain and dull? I've read that the beige interiors get dirty quickly on all cars, and I can live with the chik black interiors of the white elegance [it looks solid and nice, and not dull and grey]. But White body? Yes, a slight displeasure but nothing that the 1.4 Elegance trim cannot make me happy about. Here, see some snaps I took while at the dealership..

Elegant in White
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-snc00012.jpg

Chik Black Interiors
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-snc00014.jpg

All Black Dash too
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-snc00015.jpg

Let me know. I most likely will make a decision tomorrow. Offer given by the current dealer seems very nice, and the 'great' offer is available for 1.4 and a 'Just ok' offer is extended for the 1.2 Ambiente.

Thanks and looking forward to your inputs.. aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 23rd December 2008 at 17:11.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:07   #873
Senior - BHPian

White doesn't necessarily mean bland. The Civic looks stellar in white. So does the Laura.

Don't judge the show car or the car thats delivered to you in that state. They sit in the sun and the dust for weeks before it is delivered to you. Before delivery, the dealer will do a token wash and an interior wipedown.

A proper wash, polish and wax later, you'll be pretty proud about how your car looks.

If you are comfortable with the car itself, the colour and such are secondary. If your heart beats with it, go get it
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:13   #874
BHPian

Default Happy Season AND Happy Driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Bad things have been happenning to my car lately, after the badges got stolen, i had stopped for a traffic light at jacob circle when a BEST bus hit the drivers side rear wheel arch, took it to Autobahn and he said "We'll have to take off the entire rear panel and put in a new one...So I took it to my old painter.
naikpranav: Sorry about the prang, mate. I tend to go with your decision of staying away from dipping into your Insurance. It's yet early days in your ownership, and it's wise to defer touching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Meanwhile, my baby is into 4th month

Happy B'day Baby

After tinting with Garware SRC

Tints under the shade

Mysticeyes: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR BABY, SIR! She is a stunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Araldite would be safer bet. Also suggest use some double sided tape along with it to make it for rigid.

Thanks.
Invinsible: Nice to hear 'Araldite' cropping up. Thought the term was lost. We used to fix every thing from W/Cs to petrol tank leaks with it, also fiddling with a sci-fi blend of fibre glass to make it more exotic. Never let me down once.

Quote:
Hello Member mates,

I've been following this thread for almost a week now and I join previous members that have commented, to say it's a fantastic one, stated by Netchef but now contributed by many. I think this thread's title needs to be amended, since it's not just Fabia diesel that's being discussed here, but petrol too. No one looking [or interested] in a Fabia should miss this thread.

Netchef: I always try and seek to improve on the little english that I'm knowledgeable of, but your vernacular abilities make me constantly realise that I've a looong way to go, to get to half as close to the english, that you use here. Simply said, WOW.

Wow. I didn't realise as I penned this, but this is one very long post. Honestly, sorry about this ridiculously long post
k_ajay: Firstly, welcome to our story, and feel free to make it yours as well.

You are quite correct to point out that I was progenitor of the Fabiosi thread, but ere I ran out of ink (or bytes), the rest of the splendidly articulate and opinionated gang kicked in with their adventures AND Fabia Love Stories, making it an engaging, informative and visually-stunning (clear example: MysticEyes' Red Fabia above) epic.

Say your piece, Sir...we're all ears.

English: I've only borrowed the language like anyone else- at least in these parts. Thanks. Glad I struck a chord.

Long post: Sir, there's no need to apologise. If this isn't the place to get all things 'Fabia' off your chest, then where else? There's a heap of angst in your pre-purchase experience, and it is a valid reality. Money does not grow on trees, and manufacturers must realise people are committing family-strapping sums to drive away in one of their wheels. Once that sinks in, we're sure to see a more sympathetic approach.
I too was in your shoes: the difference between 6 and 8 lakhs is an ocean. Can't advise you in this very poignantly personal decision, so good luck, but I can vouch- like others before me- that the Fabia still counts as a sound investment (in as much as a car can ever be), and that I see a very optimistic future.

I have no info on the discontinuing of the 1.4 or the Grade of fuel recommended- the others are a better source.

Best,
RG

ps. I agree that the 'diesel' needs to be scrubbed from the title.
Quote:
Dear aK,

Welcome ! we would all be very glad to have you and your experiences with the car here, as a matter of coincidence, I had also felt that the Fabia Tdi (@9L) was a bit high up, so I did also go and test (or atleast sit in) every other car in that price range, our only other option was the Octavia, which may be going out, and doesn't come in L&K anymore. You will love the Fabia, and it will never let you down.

Hoping to see pictures very soon !
naikpranav: Is the L&K really off the menu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
Well I have purchased my Fabia 1.2 L petrol Ambient 1 month back. So I am not an expert to answer your Q. but what I feel is that, you should go for 1.2L Ambient if you have such doughts in mind and this will also be easy on your pocket. As far as the speed goes I didn't have an highway trip yet but still managed a speed of 140 Kmph at night on Gurgaon expressway. The car was quite stable at that speed and I could have tried crossing that speed if my mom and dad were not sitting with me.VikCho
VikCho: 140 kmph in a 1.2 is great IMO. Was she stable compared with the diesel? I drive the diesel which is obviously heavier than the petrol- just wondering if this makes a difference

Quote:
Hi Fab-mates,

Dear Fabiosis [is that what you call Fabia owners in here, or the Fabia itself?],

I would like to see what you guys have to say about a white Fabia with chik black interiors.
k_ajay: White was my first choice. I only settled for the Steel Grey (metallic blue) because of non-availability of other colours in the delivery time-frame I was looking at: yesterday!

Colour is a very subjective factor so it must be your call (beauty being in the eyes of the beholder and all that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
White doesn't necessarily mean bland. The Civic looks stellar in white. So does the Laura.

Don't judge the show car or the car thats delivered to you in that state. They sit in the sun and the dust for weeks before it is delivered to you. Before delivery, the dealer will do a token wash and an interior wipedown.

A proper wash, polish and wax later, you'll be pretty proud about how your car looks.

If you are comfortable with the car itself, the colour and such are secondary. If your heart beats with it, go get it
ImmortalZ: Well put, Sir.

ps. guys please pardon the spellos and iffy grammar that resulted from a great need to burn the tarmac to some eggnog!

Happy Season AND Happy Driving!
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:01   #875
Senior - BHPian

Post And it's going to be.....

Dear Fabiosis [I've made up my mind that this is what I will call the Fabia owners and lovers in here],

A decision is made. Of course, I've taken all your comments and suggestions in great spirit, and also added it to what my heart tells me. I'll not want to put a daily teaser or something like that here, but I'll let you all know very soon on what the decision is [I'm out of station from tomorrow night until the morning of 29th, so will get back online after it].

Thanks to everyone who contributed from their end. Truly appreciate it.

Happy Christmas to everyone and seasons greetings.

P.S: I'm smiling realizing that I'm going to be an owner of that lovely Skoda keyfob
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:18   #876
BHPian

aK : The key fob feels much better to hold than even an expensive cellphone. cheers:

Netchef: They had discontinued the L&K Octavia then and were selling it again in may, However, I am glad i got the fabia as parking in this city is getting impossible and I really don't use the boot that much, even with all outstation trips, the boot right now is sufficient, the longer journeys will await my German SUV. Dad's talking about the Volvo XC90, though it may be a 5 year plan for me.

Update: My car's painted, didnt get to check the shade as I was in office, will be taking it back to the painter for the clear coats tomorrow, the badges are being investigated, sort of found the market where they sell them, I hope the police co-operate. Will get new badges from the dealers sometime this week and use Araldite on a roughened surface and install CCTV surveillance to catch the thief soon.

Trip update: Did go out of town last week, but in the Swift, saw the Grande Punto there, was planning a trip this week along the coast, but doesn't look like its happening, hope to get some off-roading at a site for a Studio and Bungalow that i'm designing on new year's eve, will post pictures if that happens.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 13:57   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
VikCho: 140 kmph in a 1.2 is great IMO. Was she stable compared with the diesel? I drive the diesel which is obviously heavier than the petrol- just wondering if this makes a difference
I can not comment on the statement as I have never driven the diesel one but as per the text the power of both 1.2L petrol and 1.4L diesel is same. The diesel is have better FE and gets the same BHP at lower RPM's. What I can say is 140 Kmph was not the top speed and if i could have giving further acceleration the car could even crossed it. I have driven my Ford Ikon 1.6L petrol at a speed of upto 170 Kmph. The difference I felt here was that the acceleration of Ikon is more aggressive compared to Fabia which took it's time to reach high speeds but is almost stable as sedan cars at that speed.

Quote:
VikCho: Thanks for your inputs too, sir. I am considering the 'Cappuccino Beige' in 1.2 Abmiente if not for the 1.4 Elegance in white. I would hopefully take a decision by tomorrow. I'll keep everyone informed here. 140 kmph btw is a good speed if the vehicle is stable at that speed. Excellent for a 1.2.

So it's either the White Elegance or any 'C Beige' or 'Silver' Ambiente 1.2. I could add the Armrest and Parktronics with them activated, but cannot add the projector headlamps kit or sunroof and other minor frills.. Tough situation...

I would like to see what you guys have to say about a white Fabia with chik black interiors. Do you think it would look nice too, or simply plain and dull? I've read that the beige interiors get dirty quickly on all cars, and I can live with the chik black interiors of the white elegance [it looks solid and nice, and not dull and grey]. But White body? Yes, a slight displeasure but nothing that the 1.4 Elegance trim cannot make me happy about. Here, see some snaps I took while at the dealership..
It seems your heart is saying it loud and clear that you want the 1.4L petrol Elegance model. I will advice you go with your heart in that case but confirm that the car will go well on normal petrol. I will recommend you to visit the nearest Skoda service centre and confirm it from there service staff.

Secondly color is a personal choice, so one should not comment on it. White to me is a good VIP color and looks good on Fabia too.
But if you go for the Ambient model I must tell you that C Beige color looks allot different on the car than in the picture. Have you seen the car in that color it doesn't look like Beige from any angle. I bought the Silver color as the color matches well with the silver Alloys as well as the light grey interiors of the car. Also to me silver is an ever lasting color.

Who said that sunroof cannot be added later? It can be, but I am not sure about projector headlamps kit hopefully it will also be available with time. But the most important question is, are these things really important for you?

Quote:
Let me know. I most likely will make a decision tomorrow. Offer given by the current dealer seems very nice, and the 'great' offer is available for 1.4 and a 'Just ok' offer is extended for the 1.2 Ambiente.
Try to put some more pressure on the dealer if you want the Ambiente model. I managed free mats, perfume, body cover, 10L petrol, teflon and rust free coating in addition to free insurance and some cash discount as I purchased it cash down(no finance). At that time the maintenance offer was not available so I did not get that.

Hope this will help you make your decision.
VikCho
VikCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 14:52   #878
BHPian

Quote:
P.S: I'm smiling realizing that I'm going to be an owner of that lovely Skoda keyfob
Skoda keyfob - This is what I miss a lot than any other feature of Ambiente when comparing to Classic varient.

Mine being a classic TDI, has a manual key. Is there a way I can replace the manual key with the Skoda keyfob? I'm despearately looking for it. Any pointers?
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 15:16   #879
BHPian

Wink of decisions & confusions..

Dear Ajay,

couldn't stop finding similarirites in our experience. If you have gone through all the posts, you couldn't miss mine. decisions, decisions, confusions, confusions..looking back, its a funny memory now, reminding of the see-saw battle during the 2005 Ashes test series. At one point of time, i almost signed the cheque at maruti dealer and suddenly a bell rang within me, warning to stop signing. It was that close.

C.White is the most lovable color for Fabia (personal opinion). The advantage with white is that, dust won't be noticed much. In other colors dust would be noticed almost instantaneously. anyone can vouch for that. C. White was also my first color choice and then later changed to T. Orange. having said that, its difficult to keep T.Orange dust free and somehow i've taken up keeping my car dusfree as a mission.But sometimes i wish i had sticked to C.White

People with whom i've talked to has stated that fabia's C.White is the best white around. It differs so much from the whites by hyundai/ford/toyota. toyota's white is more towards an off-white tinge. White gives a royal look and if coupled with beige interior tone, it wud be so classical. Sometimes being tone tends to make the interior more spacious compared to black/grey.

As for the stability, I had touched abt 110kmph couple of times and it felt to stable and under control. Anyway, it's always nice to be within limits, especially when the car is new. So nowadays, if at all i take my car along the highway, i keep it constant at 80-90kmph eventhough the car urges to push the pedal more

I hope by the time to see this post, a decision has been made and may santa gift you the shining new skoda baby cheers:

Dear Fabiosis, wishing you all a very merry X'mas.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 18:20   #880
Senior - BHPian

Cool Announcement!

Dear Fabiosis,

Thank you all for your comments, inputs and encouraging words. I certainly value them, since buying such a pricey car for me is a first time experience [previous car was only half of this car's price], and I don't want to make any mistakes, thinking I'm taking the right decisions by myself.

VikCho: Thank you for writing again. Yes my friend, the heart [and strangely, mind too] is calling out for the 1.4 Elegance. These extra goodies are of course not something I cannot live without, but what the heck? Once in my life I get to buy something this costly and nice, I might as well get the best the buck can buy. Plus I know on whom these frills will put a smile on, so it's all worth it, actually.

Mysticeyes: I hear you my friend, I do. Totally agree on the same situation and the ordeal is still not over. Currently, Fabia even with limited 7 or 8 car variants, are running a thousand combinations in my head. Dunno what to do, and this is in spite of me making a decision yesterday. My mind even thinks when I'm sleeping, it looks like.

MadRash: I sure the only easiest way to get the Skoda Keyfob is to contact your dealer. I do remember someone posting in some thread [maybe it's this one] that the keyfob set costs 21K or 22K, as it is also imported from Czech.

It certainly is good looking but very pricey too. But here is my suggestion. If you think that the keyfob is going to make you smile, keep you happy every time you start your car and drive, I'd say go buy it. Several people in this forum may laugh at one's thought of spending 22K for a remote locking set, but ultimately, life is too short to be looking out for others criticism and reacting accordingly. You do what you think is best for you. If you can afford it and if it will certainly make u happier, get it [same school of thought for me too; I did not initially have any budget for any Skoda, but then average blokes like me always compromise in life. This one time, I didn't want to, and I'm going all out to get the best car for my family and myself too].

Alright!! I'm frankly unable to resist holding back my decision and prefer to share my joy here with you all. It finally will be a Skoda 1.4 MPi Elegante, dear Fabiosis.. And in White

Will most likely book the car after I return from my very short vacation..

Till then..... keep writing. Thanks. aK
Old 26th December 2008, 11:06   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fabiosis [I've made up my mind that this is what I will call the Fabia owners and lovers in here],

A decision is made. Of course, I've taken all your comments and suggestions in great spirit, and also added it to what my heart tells me. I'll not want to put a daily teaser or something like that here, but I'll let you all know very soon on what the decision is [I'm out of station from tomorrow night until the morning of 29th, so will get back online after it].

Thanks to everyone who contributed from their end. Truly appreciate it.

Happy Christmas to everyone and seasons greetings.

k_ajay: Greetings and warm wishes to ALL. Hope the Season and New Year augurs well for each and every one of the esteemed Fabiosi, and indeed all Team-BHPians. Drive safe mates. Keep revelry responsible.

Quote:
aK : The key fob feels much better to hold than even an expensive cellphone. cheers:

Netchef: They had discontinued the L&K Octavia then and were selling it again in may, However, I am glad i got the fabia as parking in this city is getting impossible and I really don't use the boot that much, even with all outstation trips, the boot right now is sufficient, the longer journeys will await my German SUV. Dad's talking about the Volvo XC90, though it may be a 5 year plan for me.
naikpranav: ok Thanks for clarifying.

KEY FOB: What is this and why don't I have one??? I'm going to call TAFE today! What does it look like? Is it metal or wood or leather? Does it say 'Fabia'?

XC90: IMO that's WOW in caps, 72 points. I hope it materialises soon, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
What I can say is 140 Kmph was not the top speed and if i could have giving further acceleration the car could even crossed it. I have driven my Ford Ikon 1.6L petrol at a speed of upto 170 Kmph. The difference I felt here was that the acceleration of Ikon is more aggressive compared to Fabia which took it's time to reach high speeds but is almost stable as sedan cars at that speed.
VikCho
VikCho: I'm pretty sure the car will eclipse the 120 mark, and was sure even when I wrote.

Nice to hear talk of projector lamps being offered- I know I'd love to install a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Skoda keyfob - This is what I miss a lot than any other feature of Ambiente when comparing to Classic varient.

Mine being a classic TDI, has a manual key. Is there a way I can replace the manual key with the Skoda keyfob? I'm despearately looking for it. Any pointers?
MadRash: Please tell me more about the Fabia/Skoda Key fob. Rats didn't give me one. Oh, it just dawned. Is the key fob a remote device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
C.White is the most lovable color for Fabia (personal opinion). The advantage with white is that, dust won't be noticed much. In other colors dust would be noticed almost instantaneously. anyone can vouch for that. C. White was also my first color choice and then later changed to T. Orange. having said that, its difficult to keep T.Orange dust free and somehow i've taken up keeping my car dusfree as a mission.But sometimes i wish i had sticked to C.White

I hope by the time to see this post, a decision has been made and may santa gift you the shining new skoda baby cheers:

Dear Fabiosis, wishing you all a very merry X'mas.
Mysticeyes: White Xmas. White Fabia. Has a certain ring to it, doesn't it.
Thanks for the wishes, mate.

Quote:
Dear Fabiosis,

Alright!! I'm frankly unable to resist holding back my decision and prefer to share my joy here with you all. It finally will be a Skoda 1.4 MPi Elegante, dear Fabiosis.. And in White

Will most likely book the car after I return from my very short vacation..

Till then..... keep writing. Thanks. aK
k_ajay:
Congrts AK. Your choice is sound and classic. I wish you all success and pleasure in your ownership. May you find many engaging, safe miles of wonder in your Fabia, and may it ensconce you and your loved ones in comfort. Don't forget to send us pics and reviews and critique- from the initial reaction to things, on to the more depth evaluation that will result from the longer garage. We the Fabiosi wish to hear your views.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:18   #882
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda keyfob is the little thing that looks like a switchblade. It has the central locking buttons, a Skoda logo and little button. Press the button and the key pops out in style. As usual with everything Skoda, damn thing costs a fortune. I think near 10K.
Old 27th December 2008, 01:41   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post

KEY FOB: What is this and why don't I have one??? I'm going to call TAFE today! What does it look like? Is it metal or wood or leather? Does it say 'Fabia'?
I think the Key Fob is offered on Ambiente onwards. looks very impressive. Thats the pride of owning a Skoda.

Thats one of the reasons why I want to own a Skoda

Here's how it looks:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-2223064257_b952d7af7a_o.jpg  

ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 11:37   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightfoot View Post
hey mate u've nicely documented your findings.indeed a great take on the car.keep it up.
rightfoot: Thanks for stopping by our Fabia Garage, and welcome to the Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The Skoda keyfob is the little thing that looks like a switchblade. It has the central locking buttons, a Skoda logo and little button. Press the button and the key pops out in style. As usual with everything Skoda, damn thing costs a fortune. I think near 10K.
ImmortalZ: That earns a 'Good Lord' flag. 10 K is a lot of money. Good description, mate. Real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
I think the Key Fob is offered on Ambiente onwards. looks very impressive. Thats the pride of owning a Skoda.

Thats one of the reasons why I want to own a Skoda

Here's how it looks:
ajnagpur: Thanks for the pics. It really looks like a custom-made scabbard by one of the Japanese master sword makers. Wish I could have one.

My baby does 5K:
And so I had her pressure washed at the Bridgestone dealer in Kammanahalli for Rs 240. Is that the right rate? They blew the daylights outside and in, shampooed, did a decent under-bonnet clean up etc. She emerged sparkling. 5K kms is paltry compared to what the other Fabiosi have clocked, but I think it stems from my general reluctance to venture out into Bangalore's retarded traffic. I'd love to do a long drive; though I've been discussing one with various friends for the last couple of months, it's failed to come to fruition for logistical reasons. Goa: failed. Chikmagalur: non-starter. Davangere: fizzled out. And that's how it goes.

Once the winter's gone, I know for sure I'd be the last one to want to set foot outside the comfort zone of the 4 known walls, but right now the allure of a bottle of Feni waiting on some rugged, Israeli-strewn beach in Goa, beckons stronger than: a Ludlum novel, a pair of Fendi glasses, a Hi Design biker jacket (that the heathens are due to return). Anyway, I'm loving it. Till then I derive some vicarious pleasure from the Hairy Bikers, and other Travellers on the Travel & Living shows that give we the double whammy of pandering/catering to my culinary slant.

Is a Teflon coat recommended?
Is an under-body treatment good?

How much do they cost and where in Bangalore do I go?

That's it from me, mates. Drive safe.
Old 28th December 2008, 21:19   #885
Senior - BHPian

Teflon is not recommended on T-BHP for a variety of reasons. I think the accessories thread (ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car) has some discussion about the pros and cons.

Under body treatment is recommended before monsoons I believe. I thought about doing it, but decided not to at the last minute. The Civic's underbody is already coated with... something, so maybe I'll do it after a couple years when the Honda provided coating wears off.