Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 15:44   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,024
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default

Netchef, first and foremost congrats on the new car.
Secondly, i must admit i am truly impressed by the way you use words, and the way in which you narate your ownership experience. Keeps me hooked.

These apart, i must say i am stumped by some of the costs which are charged. I just cant come to accept that a full body wash for your car at the dealer costs Rs.400/- ?! Isnt that a lot? I am not even referring to any of the other costs.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:00   #77
BHPian
 
BunnyPunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 800
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Must add you are a great writer!
I drove the Fabia a lot, and yeah, the diesel clatter is there for sure (characteristic of the Pumpe duse turbo engines). The car does attract a lot of attention on the road, but i was surely disappointed with the base pricing and standard features, especially when compared to the likes of the Swift diesel etc. No doubt the interiors are a killer but 2lakhs is a lot of dough!
The Skoda badge does mean a lot (as u mentioned). Congrats on the new car, and keep penning down your experiences here. This topic has been a great read!
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:11   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Netchef, first and foremost congrats on the new car.
Secondly, i must admit i am truly impressed by the way you use words, and the way in which you narate your ownership experience. Keeps me hooked.

These apart, i must say i am stumped by some of the costs which are charged. I just cant come to accept that a full body wash for your car at the dealer costs Rs.400/- ?! Isnt that a lot? I am not even referring to any of the other costs.
Thanks. Yes, expensive they certainly are, but I had little choice. With an still-under-warranty car, I was quite reluctant to take her to an 'outsider', and besides felt the need to nurture a relationship with TAFE. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Must add you are a great writer!
I drove the Fabia a lot, and yeah, the diesel clatter is there for sure (characteristic of the Pumpe duse turbo engines). The car does attract a lot of attention on the road, but i was surely disappointed with the base pricing and standard features, especially when compared to the likes of the Swift diesel etc. No doubt the interiors are a killer but 2lakhs is a lot of dough!
The Skoda badge does mean a lot (as u mentioned). Congrats on the new car, and keep penning down your experiences here. This topic has been a great read!
Thanks, BunnyPunia. I looked at it this way: twin airbags, double galvanized body and the Skoda badge helped ease the parting with 1.3 extra lakhs of the hard-earned stuff. Besides my parents have never owned a new car, so that induced me to go the extra yard for them.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:14   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Netchef, first and foremost congrats on the new car.
Secondly, i must admit i am truly impressed by the way you use words, and the way in which you narate your ownership experience. Keeps me hooked.
Hey !!! I agree totally !!!

I am surprised no one mentioned this before here. Netchef's way of using words is very unique, He writes like English ( Humorous ) writers ( In a good way ). I have read this whole thread. Interesting stories.

Pics awaited Netchef Cheers !!!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 17:18   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai, Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 142
Thanked: Once
Default

Netchef is very happy with his new car, im elated !... awaiting my fabia elegance, now the dealer says ill be getting it in a month, that makes my waiting period almost 50 days ! :(( he says too much demand and too little supply, (which i don't believe) but its possible that silver is in greater demand... anyone have any clue as to what's going on ?
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 18:02   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hey !!! I agree totally !!!

I am surprised no one mentioned this before here. Netchef's way of using words is very unique, He writes like English ( Humorous ) writers ( In a good way ). I have read this whole thread. Interesting stories.

Pics awaited Netchef Cheers !!!
You are too kind, Sir, but your words are appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Netchef is very happy with his new car, im elated !... awaiting my fabia elegance, now the dealer says ill be getting it in a month, that makes my waiting period almost 50 days ! :(( he says too much demand and too little supply, (which i don't believe) but its possible that silver is in greater demand... anyone have any clue as to what's going on ?
Naikpranav, congrats. You'll love her- she's a real beauty and you've made a sound decision.
The scene varies across cities. I was told the 'official' wait ranged from 8-12 weeks in Bangalore with some variance based on model/colour. My cousin who wanted to get her son one in Chennai was told she'd have to wait 6 months!, so we actually explored buying one here and shipping it across the border- a plan finally scuttled when we came up against issues like possible dual taxation etc. Could this be a real supply-demand condition or are there some other factors in play? If the period to stand in queue is true, then from where did they conjure up a car for me (I'm no Chief Minister's son or the MD of XX Software Co.).

Car companies or their dealers that create artificial demand can actually be shooting themselves in the foot when dealing with customers like me- when I want something I want it NOW, and Maruti lost my business on that one simple basis. I ended up spending more than I'd bargained for, and indulged in a superior brand just because of their offhand treatment- 50 customers lost thus and it'll be a hard lesson learned.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 18:14   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Netchef a.k.a Rajeev - Your way of writing really makes for good reading. Another guy here who is famous for his blogs is Sam Kapasi ( I am sure you would have heard of him here )

A few questions for you about the Fabia -

Is Petrol Fabia also selling good numbers ?

Is the Music sytem in yr variant the same as in top end ( w/o Parkatronics ) ?

Is the Reverse gear shifter ( same as skoda octavia ) i.e - press it down and then slot it in first. ??

I know the above might be stupid questions but a friend wanted to know so I thought better to ask it in this thread rather than searching it on the Skoda site or T-BHP.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 18:47   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK/Ahmedabad
Posts: 192
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

oh so the doll's back,eh? guess m more excited than you are reading that

but again I have the same point to make PICS PICS PICS

Last edited by Karandeep81 : 10th March 2008 at 18:49.
Karandeep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 19:02   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Netchef a.k.a Rajeev - Your way of writing really makes for good reading. Another guy here who is famous for his blogs is Sam Kapasi ( I am sure you would have heard of him here )

A few questions for you about the Fabia -

Is Petrol Fabia also selling good numbers ?

Is the Music sytem in yr variant the same as in top end ( w/o Parkatronics ) ?

Is the Reverse gear shifter ( same as skoda octavia ) i.e - press it down and then slot it in first. ??

I know the above might be stupid questions but a friend wanted to know so I thought better to ask it in this thread rather than searching it on the Skoda site or T-BHP.
Vkochar: hello, Sir. Yes, I have had a few colourful exchanges with Monsieur Kapasi (who thought I shaved my legs :-))

Petrol Fabia: sorry, can't comment on that as I haven't the facts.

Music system: Yes, it seems the same, but you're right- it's not blessed with the Parktronics.

Gear shifter: don't know about the Octavia, but you have to depress it to get Reverse.

Not stupid questions in the least. I can recall struggling with a friend to get reverse in a Cielo when they were first out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
oh so the doll's back,eh? guess m more excited than you are reading that

but again I have the same point to make PICS PICS PICS
hi Karandeep81. Coming Coming Coming
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 00:39   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Netchef - I make it a point to go through your threads simply for the quality of writing & the language used!
Keep up the good work my dear sir! In today's world of SMS gibberish it is indeed a pleasure to read someone use the Queen's language in the good old-fashioned way!

And yes, congratulations on getting the car back!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 01:10   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Dippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

netchef

Thats a fabulous and very regularly updated review on your new Fabia. I must say it is by far one of the best I have read on the forum. I appreciate the fact that you take the effort to answer everyone's questions regarding your car. Since you have answered most of them I will not ask you more for now.

Please do post some pictures of your machine soon. And yes last but not the least congratulations to you and your parents for the new car. Rest assured I will be following this thread closely. You have a wonderful way with words.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 11:04   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Netchef - I make it a point to go through your threads simply for the quality of writing & the language used!
Keep up the good work my dear sir! In today's world of SMS gibberish it is indeed a pleasure to read someone use the Queen's language in the good old-fashioned way!

And yes, congratulations on getting the car back!
iRaghava: thank-you, kindly Sir. Between you and me, I am of the 'old' school. Glad you like my writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
netchef

Thats a fabulous and very regularly updated review on your new Fabia. I must say it is by far one of the best I have read on the forum. I appreciate the fact that you take the effort to answer everyone's questions regarding your car. Since you have answered most of them I will not ask you more for now.

Please do post some pictures of your machine soon. And yes last but not the least congratulations to you and your parents for the new car. Rest assured I will be following this thread closely. You have a wonderful way with words.
My pleasure entirely. Happy to have someone appreciative. Thanks.

hi, she's dusty and a little dishevelled because of the unpaved road...but I promised so many of you these pics that I decided to go ahead anyway.

Mods: if it's custom to obliterate the number plate, I know not how...please do so. Thanks. RG
Attached Images
     

Last edited by ajmat : 12th March 2008 at 19:20.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:21   #88
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,663 Times
Default

easy way to mask your number plate.

I assume you use windows.
open the image in MS Paint. (Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories)
in the tools you will find a air brush, it looks like a spray can.
choose that and color away where you want.

save your modified picture.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:24   #89
BHPian
 
sanjayatarizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: "God's own Shaap"
Posts: 352
Thanked: 5 Times
Post

Looks classy and stylish. Just the way i like my Europeans .

Enjoy the ride.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:47   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Sorry guys for the delay.
But now I have them in front of me, they trigger a set of things I can tell you about the base model Fabia. However, before we go there, let's see if anyone can spot the rework on the door in question...the front passenger door! If you can't tell, it's because the resolution of the photograph is not high enough and not because they did a Michael Angelo on her :-). The TAFE people were in my office yesterday and advised me to word a strong letter to their GM, and said they would get it redone.

She comes without foglamps. The seat fabric is not of exceedingly high qualiy and to my mind has too loose a weave which will encourage dirt to settle between the cracks. The colour option seemed the only one to match the body paint.
Door mirrors can be adjusted from the inside- remotely but, unlike the top version which is electrically operated - this poor cousin goes manual. No big deal I'd say coz a) it doesn't take much effort to adjust them and b) one doesn't adjust mirrors all that often.

Headlights can be adjust via a little scroll button alongside the light controls on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Good idea especially when the angle-of-attack changes in a loaded car.

Strangely, my friend's 96 Benz had a similar setting and type of control for the headlights.

She has a rear wash/wipe facility that I've yet to operate. You get a flash wipe or couple of them by working the right steering wheel mounted stalk: away for the rear and towards you for the front wipers or vice versa.
The taillight cluster has only one reversing light and I find that imbalanced and awkward. Why not have two? Just that we're used to bi-symmetry in most things and this is strange to say the least. I suspect many cars have this. Won't it shed less lumens on one side and could that not cause one to bump into something? It can't be a cost-saving move, can it?

Good idea
She also carries a high-mounted brake light, but I've never been outside to see it operate.

The music system: it works well as per my earlier critique in these pages, but is a little lack-lustre and vapid in the display area when you invariably compare it with the sexy PlayStation-esque hyper colourful and engaging stuff being sold today. Many of the JVCs and Sonys and Panasonics and Alpines are kitsch and gaudy and ostentatious, but the Fabia's Cloistered Toy swings right the other way. It's not even a coloured display...and when did black and white displays go out of fashion- even on mobile phones? Teutonic?

Rear headrests. Lit Window controls. Courtesy interior light that stays on till the engine is fired OR for a timed bit. Cigarette lighter mounted alongside the handbrake lever. Couple of nacelles and a cup holder. An ashtray. Lit glove compartment.
Attached Images
   
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI kunaalsaigal Hatchbacks 34 1st June 2011 18:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks