Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th January 2009, 15:11   #931
BANNED

white looks awsome.
while reading your post it felt like i was buying the car, lol nice write up and safe criving. and please dont forget the interior pics.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 16:57   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@mysticeyes
i am not too sure if the car is driveable with just 70bhp on hand for such a heavy car with the occasional highway trip.
anil
anilkalvani: Sir, IMO 70 Bhp is more than adequate. If at all a driver -who's NOT Schumacher- finds it falling short, it will be in the city rather than on the highway where one has a decent stretch to build momentum.

VikCho: You Sir are another of the Chosen Few to have the esoteric Skoda Keyfob! Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post

3 test drives i took over various terrains, roads and traffic conditions.
Mysticeyes: You must rank as one of the most demanding testers ever. We need more people like you to keep them on their toes :-)

100 Pages!
Yes Sir. We're getting there. Good idea to float a Book ...of the Fabiosi, by the Fabiosi.

Plus, the site doesn't show the Tangerine Orange color in the list of colors any more.Does that mean that I'm one among the few T.Orange owers??? Well, if its so, then i do certainly make it to the exclusibe club within fabiosischeers:

The Orange is very exotic. I remember seeing a neighbour's Octavia first in similar orange, and that line too discontinued the colour.

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
hey guys skoda's new fabia site talks about side airbags and esp systems and trac control in the safety page.

are these standard. i dont think side airbags and tpms and stuff like this is standard? am i right, can fabia owners confirm plz
Caramelo: I believe they use one site to talk to all Skoda owners/fans around the world. Even the manual shows features not available in India- the side airbags for instance.

It would really make a Euro Fabia owner happy with the extra stuff his Fabia was garnished with when compared to its Third World cousins, while to the exact opposite, the other way round (boat we're currently in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
I, too, was wondering about the same thing. The site also mentions DPF:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1122036 (New Engine powering the Fabia Soon)
Dose: What may I ask is DPF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hello Dear Fabiosis,

I am very happy to state that I have taken delivery of my white Fabia Elegance 1.4 MPi and it is sparkling.

The delivery was done this afternoon at 13:00 and I had one of the dealer's driver drop it off home. My dad and I had gone to the dealership to drive home the dearest addition.

The car is lovely, and I've fallen in love with its white looks.. White wasn't my initial color of preference, honestly, but now, gosh! It looks beautiful.. More so on the Fabia.

k_ajay: Bless Ye. That's a gorgeous machine and she'll do you and your family proud. Good luck and drive safe. Thanks for th FIR and terrific pics. Congratulations!

[quote=Invinsible;1124095]
MEyes: Am sure getting upto 100 pages is not gonna be that difficult and its gonna happen soon and we won't even realise it when and how it happened. CHeers on that

quote]

Invinsible: We're nearing the 1000 posts mark. When The century (pages) comes up, it's thanks to all of you for unflagging efforts, unstinting support to the Fabiosi Forum, terrific groundswell of ideas and recommendations AND research in so many areas, and so much more:

- the Fabia Travelogues
- the Fabia Food spots
- the Fabia highway performance etc

Great to be a part of this bunch. Great to drive a car like the inspiring Fabia (that won us all these articulate and passionate friends in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
white looks awsome.
while reading your post it felt like i was buying the car, lol nice write up and safe criving. and please dont forget the interior pics.
monty9991: First time I'm seeing you here- welcome. Like white, friends are 'awesome'.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 22:10   #933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
monty9991: First time I'm seeing you here- welcome. Like white, friends are 'awesome'.
well ive been around this thread for few week when you were confused to buy 1.2 or 1.4
Old 10th January 2009, 23:10   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Dose: What may I ask is DPF?
DPF stands for diesel particulate filter.
Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 13:08   #935
BHPian

k_ajay: I would like to congratulate you on buying your dream luxury car. I wish your love for the car never fells short. You keep good care of the car and I am sure the Fabia will take good care of you and your loved ones.
I would like to know which fuel are you using for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
AJAY: Don't exceed the speed above 80 for 1st 1000kms.
I have a question regarding your comment Invinsible. Why is it important to drive below 80 for first 1000 Kms. When I took delivery of my Fabia I asked my sales person the same question to which he replied that it's just a precaution taken from the times of Ambassador and Fiat which doesn't have any relevance in the modern days car.
I drove my Ikon 1.6 petrol at a speed of 140 Kmph the very next day of taking the delivery and kept it for 8 years without any problem. Please clarify if you know the logic behind the statement.
Regards
VikCho
VikCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 14:33   #936
BHPian

Dear Ajay, congrats on the arrival of your new fabia and i'm sure that you are in cloud 9 as a dream has been realized cheers:Take good care of your white angel and it would pamper you back.Hope you've taken the car for atleast a short trip during the weekend. It was indeed so nice of you to take the snaps of the dealer's staff too.

I went through the accessories listed in the website and seems some new alloys have been provided for fabia and my eyes seems to be stuck on a particular one. May be, I would be able to gift my car with a new set of alloys on 1st anniversary.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 14:42   #937
BHPian

Wink

Mods, kindly delete the duplicated post

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 12th January 2009 at 14:46.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 15:46   #938
Senior - BHPian

I have a question regarding your comment Invinsible. Why is it important to drive below 80 for first 1000 Kms. When I took delivery of my Fabia I asked my sales person the same question to which he replied that it's just a precaution taken from the times of Ambassador and Fiat which doesn't have any relevance in the modern days car.
I drove my Ikon 1.6 petrol at a speed of 140 Kmph the very next day of taking the delivery and kept it for 8 years without any problem. Please clarify if you know the logic behind the statement.
Regards
VikCho[/quote]

I would request you to go back and ask that salesperson to read Page 151 in Skoda Manual and ask him to give this reply to people at skoda who wrote the manual book.

Now here is what it says:

Driving and the Enviroment

THe First 1500 kms and then afterwards:
A NEW ENGINE : The engine has to be run in during the first 1500 kms.

UPTO 1000 kilometres
- Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed of the the gear in use.
- Do not use full throttle.
- Avoid high engine revolutions.
- Do not tow a trailer.

From 1000 up to 1500 kilometres
- Increase the power output of the engine gradually up to the full speed of the gear engaged, that is up to the maximum permissible engine revolutions.

During the first operating hours the engine has higher internal friction than later until all of the moving parts have harmonized. The driving style which you adopt during the first approx 1500 kilometres plays a decisive part in the success of running in your car.

You should not drive at unnecessarily high engine revolutions even after the running-in period is complete. The maximum permissible engine speed is marked by the beginning of the red zone on the scale of the revolution counter. Shift up into the next higher gear on a vehicle lifte with manual gearbox before the red zone is reached. Extremely high engine revolutions are automatically governed, by the way.

For a vehicle fitted with manual gear box the converse situation also applies: Do not drive at engine revolutions which are too low. Shift down as soon as the engine is no longer running smoothly.

CAUTION:
All the speed and engine revolution figures apply only when the engine is at its normal operating temperature. Never rev up an engine which is cold, neither when the vehicle is stationary nor when driving in individual gears.

FOR THE SAKE OF THE ENVIROMENT:
Not driving at unnecessarily high engine revolution and shifting to a higher hear as early as possible are ways to minimise fuel consumption and operating noise levels an protects the enviroment.

Incase if you are looking for more information about other passive safety for your car go through the complete section of Driving tips in your manual book.
As for the sales guys, well many of them have been taught only basics about the cars like features and how to sell a product. If you ask them on technicalities it's all gonna be complete different language for them to understand. Ask them the question how exactly the engine burn fuel? Or what is the role of crank, piston, valve springs?
You would know where they stand.

I have personaly believed in the fact that the initial "breaking in period" for a car sets the piston rings and gaskets in a car, making it more economical. Second off, shifting is based on RPM, not necesarrily speed.
The Engine valve, valve sprins and pistons are new and they do require them to open up. upto speed of 80kms your crusing at 1/4 of rev range which means the engine is working at its 1/4 of the engine power range capacity where the valve springs and valve and pistons are not being taxed too much.
Upto 1000 kms its the best bet to wait and drive sanely.

After all whats the harm in waiting for first 1000 kms out of those many miles that engine is going to munch for the rest of the future, How much are you going to loose? And if you do so how much are going to gain ?

With every new born baby you do get an doctors advice as to when you would able to venture out of the house along with the baby or The doctor always specify that it's best not to venture out with the baby for certain period of time.
So, you got your baby from the showroom, I see no harm in taking initial precautionary measures by venturing her out safely in limit that would make your baby live healthy for rest of her life.

Cheers.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 16:40   #939
Senior - BHPian

Smile Back with more pictures

Quote:
AJAY: Congrats Ajay on your new possession. Take good care of her. Don't exceed the speed above 80 for 1st 1000kms. And always maintain the correct tyre pressure. You might find the info stuck on inside of the fuel lid.
What stanley seats did you opt for? And How much did it cost you ?

One more important adivce is I would give you is to try and read the manual book as an when you get the time. Would be of real help.
Hi Invisible.. Thank you so much for your wishes. I am driving with a soft right foot for now and not exceeding 2500rpm in any situation.

The tyre pressure I'm maintaining right now is 32. Unfortuately I didn't check the fuel lid for the tyre PSI info. I will check it today.

I opted for a combination of Stanley classic leather mixed with Stanley art leather. The total cost was Rs.20000/- and it's a beautiful job. I wholeheartedly recommend the stanley representative Mahesh [who is present only inside TAFE dealership] and the job he gets done from Stanley. At first, I wanted to avoid Stanley and go for total GSport art leather, but trust me when I say this that this is Rs.20000/- well spent [even my father who is very economical and cost effective with his money said the leather seats are nice, well made and worthy].

Yep Invisible. I've also read the manual fully. I do this for almost everything I buy [if that product has a manual]. And I also envy the European chaps who get more features [as listed in the manual] on their Fabia at the same cost or more. In any case, I'm content with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
congrats ajay... she's a stunner! take good care of the beauty & enjoy your car. best of luck!
Hi Anil: Thanks much for your wishes fabiosi. I will take good care of her [for 8 damned lakhs, I better]. I love her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Many congrats ajay. She looks brilliant
Thanks ImmortalZ for your wishes. I agree, she's a stunner.

Quote:
white looks awsome.
Hi Monty. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. I'm glad you liked the experience write-up.

Quote:
anilkalvani: Sir, IMO 70 Bhp is more than adequate. If at all a driver -who's NOT Schumacher- finds it falling short, it will be in the city rather than on the highway where one has a decent stretch to build momentum.
Agree, totally.

Quote:
Mysticeyes: You must rank as one of the most demanding testers ever. We need more people like you to keep them on their toes :-)
Mysticeyes: That's awesome.. I've also gotten to drive both versions of the Fabia petrol [1.2 and 1.4] and the diesel avatar too. I took 2 test drives of the 1.2; one alone with the sales representative, and another one with family. 1.2 is by no means underpowered for the city. I am unsure about highway use.

Quote:
k_ajay: Bless Ye. That's a gorgeous machine and she'll do you and your family proud. Good luck and drive safe. Thanks for th FIR and terrific pics. Congratulations!
Monsieur Netchef, thanks much for your wishes. Family is not the types that know much about cars to understand what the car has and be proud and all. They are beyond that. What they are happy about is that the car is nice, spacious and that I am happy with it. In their age [my folks], that's all that matters to them, you see. But I certainly am happy for getting this car for my family, and myself [in that order].

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
k_ajay: I would like to congratulate you on buying your dream luxury car. I wish your love for the car never fells short. You keep good care of the car and I am sure the Fabia will take good care of you and your loved ones.
I would like to know which fuel are you using for the car?
Hi VikCho: thank you for your wishes fabiosi. I wish for the same as you have. I'm being extremely careful, kind and easy on the fabia and pray to remain so [I want this car to last long, really long].

Presently, I am using regular petrol [not the premium octane rated one] from Bharat Petroleum [one that owns the brand 'Speed].

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post

Regards
VikCho
VikCho: Invisible was only trying to be proactive in adivising me to drive in a matter that helps settle the engine in well. I am sure you must be aware of the term called "run-in period" or the "bedding in period" [with no reference to anything other than cars here ]. Now, this is being followed religiously by many and ignored by many. Both are fine; one needs to follow what is good for them. Invisible possibly subscribes to the former ideology. I am not following any special run-in period, but I am avoiding overly revving the engine now and intend to follow this for atleast 1000 kms.

I know your Ikon is good even after excessive revving immediately after buying, but newer cars are like that. Some don't need running-in. Skoda's own manual recommends driving easy for the first 1500kms. I'm going easy on the car now, for the car and my own good. That's all.

Quote:
Dear Ajay, congrats on the arrival of your new fabia and i'm sure that you are in cloud 9 as a dream has been realized. Take good care of your white angel and it would pamper you back.Hope you've taken the car for atleast a short trip during the weekend. It was indeed so nice of you to take the snaps of the dealer's staff too.
Hi Mysticeyes: Thanks a lot dear fabiosi and yes, I'm ecstatic about the purchase. Short trip on the weekend, did you ask? I got the car delivered on the 9th, with 28kms on the odo. The drive to home must have been anything less than 10kms. As of this morning, my odo reads a little over 400kms.. That's a short trip done, right there for you my friend .

---------------------------------------------
@ everyone: I know all ye Fabiosis will now think of my statement and question or suggest that I should have gone in for a diesel avataar, since I drive so much. But it isn't so. My monthly requirement wont be anything more than 500kms. I am having a need to drive down to Chennai on the 31st of this month, and I am just driving more to ensure I am running in my car before then. Expect to see a report from me next week since I am planning to do a drive upto the BIAL @ Devanahalli.. [won't exceed 2500rpm mates, no worries]
----------------------------------------------

Dear Fabiosis and members,

I am extremely sorry to say that I don't have much time to write about my entire experience today, since I am pressed due to much work for today. On the same note, I am also sorry for not having taken any interior pictures. I haven't had a good chance to take the interior pictures and I need good time and place to take them, so I'd only request that you please be patient with me until noon of Thursday and I will post interior pictures on Thursday noon [wednesday is day off and I intent to take the interior pics on that day]. Thank you for your patience friends.

Meanwhile, here are some exterior pictures I took on Saturday 10.01, a few hours after I got the pooja done [prayers and offerings to God; no reference to anything non-automotive]. I hope you like them.

Front view 1
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105425.jpg

Front view close up
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105443.jpg

Front left bottom close up
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105446.jpg

Side profile [it looks short but is pretty long a hatchback]
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105447.jpg

Rear left side close up
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105448.jpg

Alloys up close
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105449.jpg

Rear right side close up
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105450.jpg

Front with doors open
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105451.jpg

Rear hatch door
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105454.jpg

Lovely alloys
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105455.jpg

Inside view [a hint of the seats inside]
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-pc105453.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. I will put a write-up and interior pics on Thursday noon. I promise, this time, I will. Thanks Fabiosi mates and members.

EDIT

Quote:
After all whats the harm in waiting for first 1000 kms out of those many miles that engine is going to munch for the rest of the future, How much are you going to loose? And if you do so how much are going to gain ?

With every new born baby you do get an doctors advice as to when you would able to venture out of the house along with the baby or The doctor always specify that it's best not to venture out with the baby for certain period of time.
So, you got your baby from the showroom, I see no harm in taking initial precautionary measures by venturing her out safely in limit that would make your baby live healthy for rest of her life.

Cheers.
Well said Invisible, without being offensive. I agree with going easy on a car for alteast 1000kms that is going to last many years and drive many miles.

Cheers... aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th January 2009 at 16:47. Reason: Addition of Invisible's latest post.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 16:46   #940
BHPian

@invisible
agree with you 100%. i have driven my Logan dCi carefully till 6k's, tried to maintain rpm below 2000 and sometimes 2500rpm, now after the 2nd service and oil change i am getting 16.3kms in mumbai with a/c on (and took it to nasik last week; mindboggling 23.75kmpl; checked it 2 times; tank to tank method) plus i feel the engine has really eased out, i can feel the smoothness in the delivery. So i agree with you about the initial run in precaution which should be taken in every new car. I still have not got the time to go for the test drive of the 1.2 HTP Fabia. Will go this week and get back with my feedback / decision.

EXCELLENT PICS AJAY!!!
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:21   #941
Senior - BHPian

Hey those are great pics and the car looks just fantastic. keep it always like this spotless. White fabia is one color that has grown on me. I had a choice between white and silver but opted for silver, think now white would have been better option. And with those black interior and getting the seats and door panels done in dakota brown would have looked just great. It would be great if you could also post in the pics of your interior and your seats. Stanley's do make great leather. I got my baby done with stanley classic on the very same day i took the delivery but from their boutique, in a double tone effect.

Yes, you are right the car has many minor features which are very useful. One of the features that you can get it activated is Automatic locking. All the doors and the boot are locked automatically once the car reaches a speed of 15-20km/h. if the ignition key is withdrawn, the car is then automatically unlocked again. In addition, it is possible for the driver to unlock the car by pressing the central locking button or by pulling the door opening lever.

All this can be done by skoda dealer at their workshop where they would connect the car to ECU examiner and activate the auto locking mode. But, please do check before leaving the workshop that the car unlocks on removing the key from the ignition after its locked automatically. At times these people forget to activate that feature which even unlocks. That's what happened with me.

This could be good safety measure and also convenient where one doesn't have to reach out their hand all the time on the gear console which has locking button. Small thing to get it done but I have been using it since more than 2 months and it does gets very helpful, safe and secure.

Thank you anil and Ajay for appreciating my views on break in period.

Last edited by Invinsible : 12th January 2009 at 17:32.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:39   #942
BHPian

Invinsible: Thanks for your explanation. You are absolutely right in saying there's no harm in having patience for the initial period for the better future of your car. As it is aleays said that "Percaution is better then cure".

Ajay: Nice pics man. Now I think you are 100% satisfied with your decision of buying white color Fabia and also about going for 1.4 petrol. I would love to watch the interior pics and will definitely wait for your post on Thursday.
VikCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 19:33   #943
BHPian

Quote:
well ive been around this thread for few week when you were confused to buy 1.2 or 1.4
monty9991: Oops, sorry that I missed you in that case, Sir. BTW, I was never locked into a dilemma between purchasing the 1.2 and the 1.4- that must have been someone else as I walked right into the showroom with the unwavering decision to go Monsieur Diesel's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
DPF stands for diesel particulate filter.
Dose: Ah, ENLIGHTENED now. Thanks

Quote:
I went through the accessories listed in the website and seems some new alloys have been provided for fabia and my eyes seems to be stuck on a particular one. May be, I would be able to gift my car with a new set of alloys on 1st anniversary.
Mysticeyes: Sir, any idea what the new alloys cost in greenbacks or bullion? For that matter, what does the standard alloy set cost? Perhaps, maybe, if the Gods are Crazy etc...

Quote:
Regards
VikCho
Cheers. [/quote]
RUNNNG IN:

Many of Ye have debated this -not just the Fabiosi, but many others on the site. I'm a biker, and have heard our gang often voice that the modern superbikes (and cars for that matter- regular cars, not supercars ) come ready run-in from the factory. One pal who wheeled out a brand new Kwacker ZX10 R out of pristine and crunchy bubble-wrap, promptly redlined it. So, I don't know. It's an old world engineering babycare thing, but I'd much rather err on the side of caution -AND old wisdom- rather than suffer the effects when my baby is an octogenarian.

It is true that modern lubes are far more advanced than their older counterparts. Manufacturing methods/machinery have improved exponentially. Materials used are now space-age. There are many factors that point to a POSSIBLE logical alteration to running protocols, BUT I would play safe.

The topic in all its controversial, abrasive stickiness:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/19008-article-how-run-your-new-car.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Monsieur Netchef, thanks much for your wishes. Family is not the types that know much about cars to understand what the car has and be proud and all. They are beyond that. What they are happy about is that the car is nice, spacious and that I am happy with it. In their age [my folks], that's all that matters to them, you see. But I certainly am happy for getting this car for my family, and myself [in that order].
k_ajay: Sir, your words have a spring in their step and a natural effervescence. Ditto your pics. Thanks for writing in. You are doing all the right 'CARE' things for your lovely Fabia, and it will pay rich dividends.

Your family may not grasp the tech nuances or even care- and that's but natural as we cannot expect everybody to be motorheads like us. Important thing is they enjoy the creature comforts of the machine AND your Joy & Appreciation of it. That's magnanimity in its full form

[quote=anilkalvani;1127026]@invisible
my Logan dCi ... mindboggling 23.75kmpl; checked it 2 times; tank to tank method) quote]

anilkalvani: 23.75 kmpl in a Logan is marvellous. Do we have comparative figures for the Fabia anyone? Highway runs with FE figures?

Quote:
Yes, you are right the car has many minor features which are very useful. One of the features that you can get it activated is Automatic locking. All the doors and the boot are locked automatically once the car reaches a speed of 15-20km/h. if the ignition key is withdrawn, the car is then automatically unlocked again. In addition, it is possible for the driver to unlock the car by pressing the central locking button or by pulling the door opening lever.
Invinsible: Ah, that's how the Automatic Locking works. Probably in the higher-end models.

Last edited by netchef : 12th January 2009 at 19:38. Reason: postscript
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 22:15   #944
BANNED

@ k_ajay-- the projectors lights really stand out on white.
@ ntechef-- lol.. i was confused between you and k_ajay, sorry about that

Last edited by monty9991 : 12th January 2009 at 22:16.
Old 13th January 2009, 00:19   #945
Senior - BHPian

Netchef: Last I had recorded my toddler (grown from baby now ) giving me an avg of 22.5 km/l on trip to lonavala with cruising between 100-120 km/h. uphill at reaching point to lonavala was driven at around 80km/h +/-. And not to forget I have a remap too.
23.5 is deffinately fantastic but would like to know at what speed was it driven to get that kinda mileage??