Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th January 2009, 12:19   #946
BHPian

k_ajay:
Congratulations on your buy. White Fabia looks really cool. I have a doubt. Does the black interior of the Elegance trim, different from the Classic's black? Next time do post the interior pics.

Netchef:
The autolocking is available in all the trims and are activated by default. I think you never looked in to the user manual or not bothered about the features.

Netchef:
Why dont you share your experience as a biker? I suggest the title of that thread be - "The Biker who owns a Fabia".

Last week I went to Pondichery (sorry no pics). The distance I travelled was 300 KMs approx. Along with some 130 KMs with in city limits, I got an average of 18.5 KMPL mileage (Its Fabia Classic TDI). I hope it will increase after the first ervice. I'm really happy about the service part of Skoda. Its been six months and driven almost 10K KMs, I haven't visited the service centre yet.

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to my hometown (550 KMs oneway) by my babe. I will update you all about the mileage later.

Last edited by MadRash : 13th January 2009 at 12:26. Reason: update content
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:35   #947
BHPian

@Invisible
23.5 is obtained by:
1. not going over 2000rpm & maximum 2500rpm
2. accelerating on the highway, i have maintained on a light pedal 105-110kmph.
3. Shifting gears at the right time, the right rpm.
4. Drove very carefully during the first 6000kms, instead of just the first 1500kms.
5. Avoid heavy breaking.
6. I idle the engine religiously for more than 1 minute before switching off the ignition & after switching on the ignition.
7. As the max torque of 160NM comes at lower rpms (2000rpm) hence there is no need for un-necessary acceleration & you can easily drive in the 1250 - 1750rpm range.

I have had atleast 4 Logan dCi owners in my friends & people in my industrial estate who have been getting regular 23-24kmpl on their highway trips.

I am very happy with my decision on the Logan. BTW am going this afternoon for the 1.2HTP Fabia Test Drive.

Anil

Last edited by anilkalvani : 13th January 2009 at 12:43.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:15   #948
BHPian

Good news for all the Fabia owners.

Now it is confirmed that each and everyone of us made the correct decision of going for the Fabia.

CNBC-TV18 Overdrive Awards 2009 Car of the Year goes to: Skoda Fabia

Check out this webpage: Overdrive - CNBC-TV18 Overdrive Awards 2009
VikCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:18   #949
BHPian

Cool

@ Ajay, the ebb and flow of words from you indicates the passion for your car. Now, its beyond doubt that someone is feeling so special about something..Don't keep the camera idle, engage your snapping finger please.

@ Nethef, the cheapest alloy for fabia is around 7100 bucks (per piece), and its provided as standard in the ambiente model upwards. Considering that we get HR or League brands for around 15000 bucks (4 pieces), the pricing of fabia alloys is in line with the pricing of other components by Skoda.Seems nothing is too less for them.

@ Madrash, Ain't it time for the 1st service of your car since it clocked 10000 Km?

It's always nice to pamper your 'baby' for sometime before making her naughty..so goes the case of the 'run-in period'. Eventhough the technologies have changed as Netchef mentioned, I believe that some basic things remain basic. So 'prevention is better than cure'. Having a naughty baby who gives fun is much more worthwhile than having a naughty baby who gives trouble. Afterall, they save lots of hairs in head
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 15:24   #950
Senior - BHPian

To All Fabiosi: Guys it is a pleasure reading the wonderful posts by all of you regarding the Fabia. Its so much fun to read your experiences and learnings that inspite of not being a Fabia owner I spend a lot of time reading about your experiences here.

Keep up the fantastic team spirit.
Sorry for an OT post but I really love the camaraderie here.
Happy driving.
Cheers
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 15:55   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
@ Madrash, Ain't it time for the 1st service of your car since it clocked 10000 Km?
Mysticeyes: The only thing I hate about Skoda is their dealers / service centers. When I checked last week, they haven't had a slot for servicing my car. So booked it for 20th. The Chennai dealer recently opened a 3rd service center. The other two are very cramped. But even the new facility is not big enough to service a metro city and the place is already overflowing.

Last edited by MadRash : 13th January 2009 at 15:56. Reason: edit
Old 13th January 2009, 16:07   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post

VikCho: It took almost a year for the Indian auto magazines to recognize the Fabia as a good car. And because of these magazines write-ups many people still think that Fabia is a underperformer without trying their hands on it. I don't think that the Fabiosis will be surprized by this news. After all we knew this even before these magazines.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:43   #953
Senior - BHPian

Post Comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
VikCho: It took almost a year for the Indian auto magazines to recognize the Fabia as a good car. And because of these magazines write-ups many people still think that Fabia is a underperformer without trying their hands on it. I don't think that the Fabiosis will be surprized by this news. After all we knew this even before these magazines.
MadRash: I doubt anyone is going to consider or respect Overdrive's award for Fabia as the COTY 2008. Many people on this forum still consider Fabia to be overpriced [many without even knowing all the features it has] and think all us Fabiosis are fools here to invest our hard earned money on a car that is not good..

I find it hard to accept that some comments even come from educated members who own cars priced three or four times more than the Fabia. I wonder on what grounds we can laugh at them. But it's not in us to do so, is it?
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 18:27   #954
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Features count on Fabia - Please list yours

Dear Fabiosis,

I find many threads in this forum bashing Fabia as an overpriced car, not worth it's money car and such types. I certainly agree that the car is extremely pricey [since sedans can be purchased for 8 lakhs] but I truly want us to put down features that may not be available on other cars, which truly makes the Fabia special, and worth it's price.

Also, how many members here have actually seen a Fabia stripped down and noticed the number of VW and Audi parts in it and the resultant reason it is so pricey [if am not wrong, almost or more than 50% of the parts of the Fabia come from VW and Audi]. I witnessed the doorpads being taken off and to my surprise, the power windows motor is sourced from VW; its not Skoda's own.

Features that I have noticed, which are excellent in the Fabia:

1. On Fabias that have Parktronics [reverse sensors package] installed, there is a display on the audio visual unit, and when reverse gear is engaged, the volume at which music is playing gets automatically reduced, almost muted. And to add to that, you can decide how much volume music should play at, when engaging the reverse gear. It's configurable.

2. The volume of music slowly increases when the speed of the vehicle increases considerably. Awersome, for the highways.

3. Skoda has probably understood a concept well [and I am unsure if this feature is there in the Fabias sold in Europe], that people may be a little tasked when reversing their vehicle. Have you ever noticed that when you are reversing your car, the AC blower speed automatically increases by one blower unit, to the next bigger blower speed. Now how awesome is that and which other car has it? I am currently parking my car in a very tight spot, at home, and I cannot appreciate Skoda more for making this feature available. Brilliant thinking.

4. Again, I am unsure if there are other vehicles that have this feature [my indica certainly didn't have it], but when I engage the headlight control stalk from low beam to high beam, the low beam still stays on and also has high beam activated. Much better spread, greater lighting adding to safety and fantastic visibility. [I'm sure Fabia thrashers will now blame Skoda for this, saying oncoming vehicles get blinded due to twin beams being engaged.]

Everyday, as I drive my vehicle, I keep uncovering and learn about some new feature or the other. And Skoda hasn't even been childish to put all these features as 'the best features' and made ads or phamplets out of them, which other manufacturers would have done at the drop of a hat.

Irrrespective of what other members in this forum have to say, I certainly feel the car has justified the price of 7.91 lakhs I have had to shell for this gem. And I don't say this just because of the 4 features above. I do not claim to be very happy and that this car is excellent since I have not bought it, but I am happy due to the features and the quality this car is made of, which makes me feel my decision is well weighed one and worth it. The 1.4 ltr engine is milky smooh. Nah, butter smooth. And the gear shift is one to die for [slick, precise and short throws].

I request other Fabiosis to kindly list the features you have found or uncovered, that isn't very visible and are largely unknown to everyone. In a way, we all can uncover more features by learning from each other.

Thank you. aK..

P.S: Interior pics will be taken tomorrow and posted on Thursday, as well as a big write-up. Right here in this thread.

P.P.S: Netchef: I request that you contact the moderators to make this thread a central 'Skoda Fabia Domain' and have it renamed that way, if you don't have a problem with it. The way I see it, this thread can be good for those who would like to know about the Fabia [diesel and petrol], from our views, for their consideration. I am unsure if we can get books made , but certainly anyone who is evaluating a Skoda must visit this thread, read and gather and then make their decisions. To which cause, we must be honest with our feedback, reviews and comments. And a centralized Fabia domain I hope, will keep Fabia bashers away, to save us some headache.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 21:19   #955
BHPian

Well put together KA ! I too was initially miffed with the arguments of cost and not "VFM" but at the price of a sedan in which i will never sit at the back, will use the boot only when i travel, and even when i do I don't need more than whats in the fabia, which makes it the most comfortable and practical thing to do, Sadly enough, everyone doesn't understand this, sedans in this country means you have gone up in life, and everyone is up and about showing that off, they don't really think about using thier money well, I've come to terms with it, and am extremely happy with the car, as are everyone else here, testimony to this are all these 64 pages, where we have not only praised the car, but lived the car, berating it in the process too. It truly makes you "Feel special"
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 11:55   #956
BHPian

Smile

If you've gone through the Overdrive website, you can see how many sarcastic comments have comeup against the COTY Award for Fabia. Well, guys have the right to make comments and it shouldn't affect us. Let bygones be bygones. If someone says that Fabia is underpowered, he must be thinking of buying a car for drag racing in public street. Let me say, in that case, the competitors to fabia won't do better in drag racing. Just having some 15-17 horse more under the hood counts for nothing. He might as well buy Audi TT or Lamborghini.

Looking around in our city, I've found that the fabia buyers are from a particular background, polished and refined. Fabia perfectly fills the position of the 'Car' for such people. It might be a second car for many, but if you look into the garage, you cans see fabia parked along with high quality automobiles like Honda or other German brands.

Again, if you look around here, you can see the Swift (no intention to hurt the feelings of Swift owners. I should mention again that swift was also in my consideration list and Swift is good in its own rights) being the 1st car or even the 2nd car sometimes, which shares the garage with Suzuki's or Mahindra's.

Honda makes much more finished, reliable, rattle-free automobiles, whereas all knows that Suzuki lacks fit & finish, and gives complementary rattles. The buyer's profile of Suzuki and Honda is very different (eventhough both are Japanese) and usually Honda or German brand buyer symbolize the man/woman having a preference for the finer things in life. One quick glance on the Car itself shows the nature of the user. Over here, almost all fabias are kept in immaculate condition, whereas most, excpet few of the competing cars are covered in dust and has scratches all over. Fabia with its refined nature is miles ahead in terms of quality and driveability.

Most of the critics of fabia haven't even driven fabia once. they just keep repeating by what they hear from others who also haven't driven fabia. People are free to purchase any vehicle that suits their own preferences. WHat do they gain by berating a good car which offer's value for money?
Personally, driving is a form of relaxing for me. The smooth steering and the soft movements, coupled with the short & slick gear shift is so sublime. I've used marutis, and it's more like a struggle shifting gears and driving even the EPS versions. Even the Swift is not much different from the Alto or Zen on these counts and the advantage only being having more power.

Why did Suzuki Grand Vitara become a success despite 2 launches? ( 1st launch around 2002 i guess and 2nd in 2007). Because, people who shell out near 20 Lakhs wants 'CLASS' and they would rather buy Honda CRV (which costs about 2-3 lakhs more), rather than buyiing a Suzuki with rattles for 20 Lakhs. It shows the maturity in buying preference of customers in that range. Similarly, we've paid some 80K-1.00 Lakh more for fabia, but it comes with a 'CLASS'

Swift is VFM for those who like Swift. Fabia is VFM for those who like Fabia. But once again, it's the sheer driving pleasure that keep us addicted to fabia. Ain't that right guys?

I apologize for the offtopic statements, but felt like pouring out what I felt.

@ Ajay, during rain, the rear wiper would get activated automatuically if you put the car in reverse gear (provided that the front wipers are already activated). Plus, there's a child lock faclity which can be activated by using a slot in the door.

Sammyboy's post is a testimony to those who love Fabiaand all Fabiosis
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:20   #957
Senior - BHPian

Well put together guys. But just let me point out where the Fabia is getting so much criticism.

The Skoda Fabia is a wonderfull vehicle and there is no two ways about that. Only disconnect all have is why does one have to pay 9 lacs (approx OTR, Banglore) for the top end.

The fact is Skoda should have figured out to give the car at 8 lacs for the top end.

And another reason for the Fabia bashing is their high handed nature.

cheers,
AC
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:25   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Netchef: Last I had recorded my toddler (grown from baby now ) giving me an avg of 22.5 km/l on trip to lonavala with cruising between 100-120 km/h. uphill at reaching point to lonavala was driven at around 80km/h +/-. And not to forget I have a remap too.
23.5 is deffinately fantastic but would like to know at what speed was it driven to get that kinda mileage??
Invinsible: That's raised the bar all right, thrown down the gauntlet.

[quote=MadRash;1128167]k_ajay:
Congratulations on your buy. White Fabia looks really cool. I have a doubt. Does the black interior of the Elegance trim, different from the Classic's black? Next time do post the interior pics.

Netchef:
The autolocking is available in all the trims and are activated by default. I think you never looked in to the user manual or not bothered about the features.

Netchef:
Why dont you share your experience as a biker? I suggest the title of that thread be - "The Biker who owns a Fabia".

quote]

MadRash: Yes, mea culpa. Rakesh Raja was always chiding me for under-estimating the bells & whistles on my wheels, and I have to confess it's chiefly due to a lack of knowledge. Thanks for enlightening.

My 'biker' story roams somewhere on the Forum: I can't remember the title but it must have had Red Fireblade something or the other in it.
Sold her a few months back and now rue the day as I can't find a decent one that fits my budget. Miss riding terribly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@Invisible
23.5 is obtained by:
1. not going over 2000rpm & maximum 2500rpm
2. accelerating on the highway, i have maintained on a light pedal 105-110kmph.
3. Shifting gears at the right time, the right rpm.
4. Drove very carefully during the first 6000kms, instead of just the first 1500kms.
5. Avoid heavy breaking.
6. I idle the engine religiously for more than 1 minute before switching off the ignition & after switching on the ignition.
7. As the max torque of 160NM comes at lower rpms (2000rpm) hence there is no need for un-necessary acceleration & you can easily drive in the 1250 - 1750rpm range.

I have had atleast 4 Logan dCi owners in my friends & people in my industrial estate who have been getting regular 23-24kmpl on their highway trips.

I am very happy with my decision on the Logan. BTW am going this afternoon for the 1.2HTP Fabia Test Drive.

Anil

anilkalvani: very scientific, Sir. Very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post

Now it is confirmed that each and everyone of us made the correct decision of going for the Fabia.

VikCho: Thanks for sharing that! It's a feather in our caps!

Quote:

@ Nethef, the cheapest alloy for fabia is around 7100 bucks (per piece), and its provided as standard in the ambiente model upwards. Considering that we get HR or League brands for around 15000 bucks (4 pieces), the pricing of fabia alloys is in line with the pricing of other components by Skoda.Seems nothing is too less for them.
Mysticeyes: oops, but thanks for the info. I'll file it away for a rainy day (when it's raining greenbacks )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
To All Fabiosi: Guys it is a pleasure reading the wonderful posts by all of you regarding the Fabia. Its so much fun to read your experiences and learnings that inspite of not being a Fabia owner I spend a lot of time reading about your experiences here.

Keep up the fantastic team spirit.
Sorry for an OT post but I really love the camaraderie here.
Happy driving.
Cheers

sammyboy: Not OT in the least. We're glad to regale anyone who's listening with our mind-boggling 'Fabiosi' special effects. Glad you stopped by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
VikCho: It took almost a year for the Indian auto magazines to recognize the Fabia as a good car.

MadRash: "I don't think that the Fabiosis will be surprized by this news. After all we knew this even before these magazines"

Sums it up rather nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Dear Fabiosis,

P.P.S: Netchef: I request that you contact the moderators to make this thread a central 'Skoda Fabia Domain' and have it renamed that way, if you don't have a problem with it. The way I see it, this thread can be good for those who would like to know about the Fabia [diesel and petrol], from our views, for their consideration. I am unsure if we can get books made , but certainly anyone who is evaluating a Skoda must visit this thread, read and gather and then make their decisions. To which cause, we must be honest with our feedback, reviews and comments. And a centralized Fabia domain I hope, will keep Fabia bashers away, to save us some headache.
k_ajay: One way for yours truly to get free Fabia lessons will be definitely via your informative posts on the Fabia's features. Thanks.

BTW I'm quite willing to go along with a renaming of this thread. Perhaps 'domain' is too big, but I'm sure the Mods can come up with something that capsules the sum & substance of a microsite or sub-Forum that is a whistling post of many a Fabia adventurer. It's their story. It's mine as well.

MODS: are you listening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Well put together KA ! I too was initially miffed with the arguments of cost and not "VFM" but at the price of a sedan in which i will never sit at the back, will use the boot only when i travel, and even when i do I don't need more than whats in the fabia, which makes it the most comfortable and practical thing to do, Sadly enough, everyone doesn't understand this, sedans in this country means you have gone up in life, and everyone is up and about showing that off, they don't really think about using thier money well, I've come to terms with it, and am extremely happy with the car, as are everyone else here, testimony to this are all these 64 pages, where we have not only praised the car, but lived the car, berating it in the process too. It truly makes you "Feel special"
naikpranav: Sedately, the sedan- eh? It's all in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

Quote:
If you've gone through the Overdrive website, you can see how many sarcastic comments have comeup against the COTY Award for Fabia. Well, guys have the right to make comments and it shouldn't affect us. Let bygones be bygones. If someone says that Fabia is underpowered, he must be thinking of buying a car for drag racing in public street. Let me say, in that case, the competitors to fabia won't do better in drag racing. Just having some 15-17 horse more under the hood counts for nothing. He might as well buy Audi TT or Lamborghini.

Looking around in our city, I've found that the fabia buyers are from a particular background, polished and refined. Fabia perfectly fills the position of the 'Car' for such people. It might be a second car for many, but if you look into the garage, you cans see fabia parked along with high quality automobiles like Honda or other German brands.

Again, if you look around here, you can see the Swift (no intention to hurt the feelings of Swift owners. I should mention again that swift was also in my consideration list and Swift is good in its own rights) being the 1st car or even the 2nd car sometimes, which shares the garage with Suzuki's or Mahindra's.

Honda makes much more finished, reliable, rattle-free automobiles, whereas all knows that Suzuki lacks fit & finish, and gives complementary rattles. The buyer's profile of Suzuki and Honda is very different (eventhough both are Japanese) and usually Honda or German brand buyer symbolize the man/woman having a preference for the finer things in life. One quick glance on the Car itself shows the nature of the user. Over here, almost all fabias are kept in immaculate condition, whereas most, excpet few of the competing cars are covered in dust and has scratches all over. Fabia with its refined nature is miles ahead in terms of quality and driveability.

Mysticeyes: Brilliant. Youre the first to bring up the aspect of 'psychographics' and soft profiling in contrast to the more widely used demographics that often fail to describe an audience's mindset/;eanings.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:29   #959
BHPian

[quote=monty9991;1127542@ ntechef-- lol.. i was confused between you and k_ajay, sorry about that [/quote]

monty9991:

No worries, mate: it's easy to mix metaphors when confronted with obfuscating User Handles/monickers, especially when so many are tongue-twisters. Happens to me all the time.

Mods please indulge me here as the Reply just posted refused to accept my two-liner to this gent, try as I might!
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:40   #960
BHPian

Quote:

Most of the critics of fabia haven't even driven fabia once. they just keep repeating by what they hear from others who also haven't driven fabia. People are free to purchase any vehicle that suits their own preferences. WHat do they gain by berating a good car which offer's value for money?
Personally, driving is a form of relaxing for me. The smooth steering and the soft movements, coupled with the short & slick gear shift is so sublime. I've used marutis, and it's more like a struggle shifting gears and driving even the EPS versions. Even the Swift is not much different from the Alto or Zen on these counts and the advantage only being having more power.

Why did Suzuki Grand Vitara become a success despite 2 launches? ( 1st launch around 2002 i guess and 2nd in 2007). Because, people who shell out near 20 Lakhs wants 'CLASS' and they would rather buy Honda CRV (which costs about 2-3 lakhs more), rather than buyiing a Suzuki with rattles for 20 Lakhs. It shows the maturity in buying preference of customers in that range. Similarly, we've paid some 80K-1.00 Lakh more for fabia, but it comes with a 'CLASS'

Swift is VFM for those who like Swift. Fabia is VFM for those who like Fabia. But once again, it's the sheer driving pleasure that keep us addicted to fabia. Ain't that right guys?

I apologize for the offtopic statements, but felt like pouring out what I felt.

@ Ajay, during rain, the rear wiper would get activated automatuically if you put the car in reverse gear (provided that the front wipers are already activated). Plus, there's a child lock faclity which can be activated by using a slot in the door.

So to summarise, what you are saying is Fabia is for High networth individuals who dont care about money wouldnt care if the car is 9 lacs but want to remain distinguished. And swift buyers are middle class who have hard earned money and want maximum bang for the buck and dont want to spend 2 lacs more just for refinement?
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote