Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th February 2009, 11:52   #1021
BHPian

Default Horn

Hi Guys,

Last week had a small issue. The horn suddenly went out without any provocation, went to the dealer spoke about the issue and they replaced it in 10 minutes with a new one - no questions asked. Was pleasantly surprised. According to the mechanic the original ones were designed for European use(where its hardly used - so he says) - that to me was hard to digest, I am also not a big fan of horns and use it quite sparingly myself.

Anyway the fact that they replaced it with a new original one without me having to exert any pressure was quite reassuring in itself.
shykrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 12:21   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shykrish View Post
Hi Guys,

According to the mechanic the original ones were designed for European use(where its hardly used - so he says) -.

Anyway the fact that they replaced it with a new original one without me having to exert any pressure was quite reassuring in itself.
Well it's nothing but a lame excuse to say that the product was defective. It'd good that you din't had to move a muscle to get the replacement done under warranty. Probably may be coz it is a brand new baby, if in case it was more 6 months old who knows you would have had another story to tell. Can never predict anything about these guys.
Here in Mumbai we use our horn every 10-15 sec in our peak hour traffic. Never had any issues with it. Though I find the horn in fabia not that great enough, quite inadequate compared to the one in octavia, laura, superb which has better tone, I suppose they all have common one and is a wee bit louder than the weak fabia horn.

Has anyone here tried putting laura/superb horn or any other for that matter??

NETCHEF: Hey, looks like fabiosi's have taken a long break or I guess venturing into something new with their baby.
Come on guys wake up, make some noise

Last edited by Invinsible : 6th February 2009 at 12:25.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 14:21   #1023
BHPian

Invinsible:
Except Fabia all other Skodas come with dual horn. Thats why Fabia feels feeble. I haven't taken my car out for the past one week so, I have nothing to update.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 14:29   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Last week had a small issue. The horn suddenly went out without any provocation, went to the dealer spoke about the issue and they replaced it in 10 minutes with a new one - no questions asked. Was pleasantly surprised. According to the mechanic the original ones were designed for European use(where its hardly used - so he says) - that to me was hard to digest, I am also not a big fan of horns and use it quite sparingly myself.

shykrish: Never heard of a Fabia- or any other- horn failing. Good thing they were responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Well it's nothing but a lame excuse to say that the product was defective. It'd good that you din't had to move a muscle to get the replacement done under warranty. Probably may be coz it is a brand new baby, if in case it was more 6 months old who knows you would have had another story to tell. Can never predict anything about these guys.
Here in Mumbai we use our horn every 10-15 sec in our peak hour traffic. Never had any issues with it. Though I find the horn in fabia not that great enough, quite inadequate compared to the one in octavia, laura, superb which has better tone, I suppose they all have common one and is a wee bit louder than the weak fabia horn.

Has anyone here tried putting laura/superb horn or any other for that matter??

NETCHEF: Hey, looks like fabiosi's have taken a long break or I guess venturing into something new with their baby.
Come on guys wake up, make some noise

Invinsible: True. It seems the Fabiosi went into hibernation for the winter. Now the swallows are out, I hope we'll find them coming out of the woodwork. really miss the bonhomie and excitement. And pics.

My Fabia is being serviced as I type and I shall be collecting her in a couple of hours. I used the power of vox populii/exchange to get them on the same page as far as costs go by showing them the breakup for First Service costs posted by one of you guys - from another city. Made them sit up. Let's see if they toe the line.

They apparently still prefer Shell lubes, but when and where they face a shortage, have been advised by higher-ups to substitute Mobil!

Take care, gents. Drive safe.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 16:45   #1025
BHPian

Invinsible: She is not brand new, actually we are celebrating our first anniversary next week.

Madrash: Yes, Fabia has a mono horn, anyway the new one slightly more audible than the previous...

Others: There is a dearth of pictures here, please liven it up, post your travelogues adventures etc etc.....
shykrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 18:58   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Invinsible:
Except Fabia all other Skodas come with dual horn. Thats why Fabia feels feeble. I haven't taken my car out for the past one week so, I have nothing to update.
MadRash: Good to hear from you, anyway.

Quote:
Invinsible: She is not brand new, actually we are celebrating our first anniversary next week.

Madrash: Yes, Fabia has a mono horn, anyway the new one slightly more audible than the previous...

Others: There is a dearth of pictures here, please liven it up, post your travelogues adventures etc etc.....

shykrish: Mea culpa. I do own a phone with camera, but never got around to figuring our how to transfer the pics to my computer. That's called ennui or even sloth, I believe :-)
I'd really love to click a couple, and have planned for some time to shoot under-bonnet, the spares/jack compartment and other nooks and crannies most will not venture. It's the maverick in me, but it needs to get past a sentry or two- LOL.

FIRST SERVICE COMPLETED:
All they really did was change the oil and oil filter. And even washing the car and vacuuming the innards seemed an after-thought. All said and done, I'm satisfied. They charged me marginally more than the number quoted by an esteemed Fabiosi, so I made a fuss and had them reduce the bill by a small amount after pointing out that the car only took 3.8 litres of Shell synthetic and I ought not to be billed for 4 in prinpicle. Every other cost seemed to match those from another Dealer in another city: around 4xx Rs for the oil filter and the rest as VAT (again Rs 400-odd), making a total of Rs 3737/-. It turned out expensive by a per-kilometre service measure because my car has only clocked 58xx kms.

The TAFE service centre is just down the Hosur road where- by pure serendipity- I'm currently doing a project, making it a cinch to drop off the car, have one of their drivers drive me back to the office in my car- and then pop in late afternoon to collect it, courtesy a ride from a colleague. Saved me a 300 Rupee collection charge.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:24   #1027
BHPian

Default Robin- pleasure meeting you on the Airport Road

I think you're the first Fabiosi I've met. Next time I hope it's not a fleeting 'in-traffic' salutation but a more leisurely one.

Are you able to log in and post now? if not please connect with the Mods and appraise them of your difficulty: there are lots of us waiting to hear from you.

Take care and drive safe.
Old 10th February 2009, 12:14   #1028
BHPian

Smile One Year Down the Line..

Present Sirrrr!!!! Guess I'm back to class after a short bunking session and seems I haven't missed out much portions. Now now, what would our Principal, Netchef alias Weatherbee do to me? Hibernation - Yes, kind of. Starting January, till date my baby has run around just about 200KM only. As i say this, i can see many suspicious looks all around asking if this guy is mad, buying a car worth 6.50lakhs OTR and running below 200Km in nearly 2 months. But even that small drive is pretty much enjoyable.

Have the fabiosis read about the review of Fabias of late by various auto mags? Seems most of them have digested whatever terms they used to accuse fabia (both petrol & diesel engines) when they were launched. "Underpowered engine" became "decent mileage in city engine", "noisy diesel engine" became "outstanding mileage", "outrageous pricing" became "price worth the car which is NEXT TO LUXURY SEDAN rather than a OVER-STRETCHED/GROWN HATCH" and many more, and finally guys, an auto mag did a comparison for the prevailing 3 hatches and declared our cute fabia as the winner. what a change 1 year can make for diesel version and 7 months can make for petrol version. Let me say that I'm feeling more and more hearty and vindicated now to stick onto the decision to buy this Czech beauty. What about rest of the fabiosis?

The reason the dealer gave for the failure of Shykrish's horn just remind of Jughead's alibis. The horn may be designed for European usage, but over there, the drivers have more civic sense than the drivers here. You don't need to honk the horn every 10 seconds to clear your way. It's such a pity that here, civic sense is almost non-existent. It's nice to get it replaced FOC within the warranty period. Laura's horn is much more effective and the dealer quoted Rs. 700 for putting Laura's horn in my car at the time of delivery. Many of the fabiosis would be getting ready for the 1st birthday of their respective cars. I think Netchef's car's b'day falls in first. Hope you remember the Stanley makeover?

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 10th February 2009 at 12:17.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 16:50   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Present Sirrrr!!!! Guess I'm back to class after a short bunking session and seems I haven't missed out much portions. Now now, what would our Principal, Netchef alias Weatherbee do to me? Hibernation - Yes, kind of. Starting January, till date my baby has run around just about 200KM only. As i say this, i can see many suspicious looks all around asking if this guy is mad, buying a car worth 6.50lakhs OTR and running below 200Km in nearly 2 months. But even that small drive is pretty much enjoyable.

Have the fabiosis read about the review of Fabias of late by various auto mags? Seems most of them have digested whatever terms they used to accuse fabia (both petrol & diesel engines) when they were launched. "Underpowered engine" became "decent mileage in city engine", "noisy diesel engine" became "outstanding mileage", "outrageous pricing" became "price worth the car which is NEXT TO LUXURY SEDAN rather than a OVER-STRETCHED/GROWN HATCH" and many more, and finally guys, an auto mag did a comparison for the prevailing 3 hatches and declared our cute fabia as the winner. what a change 1 year can make for diesel version and 7 months can make for petrol version. Let me say that I'm feeling more and more hearty and vindicated now to stick onto the decision to buy this Czech beauty. What about rest of the fabiosis?

The reason the dealer gave for the failure of Shykrish's horn just remind of Jughead's alibis. The horn may be designed for European usage, but over there, the drivers have more civic sense than the drivers here. You don't need to honk the horn every 10 seconds to clear your way. It's such a pity that here, civic sense is almost non-existent. It's nice to get it replaced FOC within the warranty period. Laura's horn is much more effective and the dealer quoted Rs. 700 for putting Laura's horn in my car at the time of delivery. Many of the fabiosis would be getting ready for the 1st birthday of their respective cars. I think Netchef's car's b'day falls in first. Hope you remember the Stanley makeover?
Mysticeyes: "Weatherbee" Ha ha. I'd all but forgotten that name!
Great to hear from you, Sir. That's one welcome 'present'.

200km: Like the magic/wand story, it's not the kilometres you've clocked but the fun you've had. Yes, it seems the market is slowly coming round to the finesse and value of our Fabia, and that's reassuring. I hope it also establishes that a book is not to be judged by its cover. Conversely, the quick way they rank a car might miss out on its nuances and perhaps even damage it reputation (jumping to conclusions).

I guess I'll be the first to my baby's First Year. I'm told it falls on the 18th, ie. 4 days post Valentine's. I'm currently negotiating the Insurance, and having to field 2-5 calls from over eager agents. Might just revert to my old Government-run Insurer with the added advantage that a senior executive resides in my neighbourhood.

The First Service went ok, but they don't seem to have done much making me question the very notion of the thing (wrote about this earlier).
Old 11th February 2009, 09:36   #1030
BHPian

Hi TDI Fabiosis:
Anybody tried "Shell Diesel Extra"? Is it ok to use Shell diesel in Fabia PD TDI?
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:37   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Hi TDI Fabiosis:
Anybody tried "Shell Diesel Extra"? Is it ok to use Shell diesel in Fabia PD TDI?

MadRash: I haven't but it should be better than fine for your car considering Skoda deem it fit to endorse- no, stipulate- Shell oils for it.

BTW Bangalore Fabiosi, please stick to reputed/central Bangalore fuel stations as chaps on the outskirts are selling adulterated diesel, and the TAFE chap said it's one helluva mess to clean- they had to pull almost everything from the car- before they could get it running again.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:56   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I think you're the first Fabiosi I've met. Next time I hope it's not a fleeting 'in-traffic' salutation but a more leisurely one.

Are you able to log in and post now? if not please connect with the Mods and appraise them of your difficulty: there are lots of us waiting to hear from you.

Take care and drive safe.
Thanks to you netchef. I have noticed you on Airport Road on a number of occasions. I am glad that on the fateful day, we were able to share Hellos.

I'll share my experiences very soon.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 15:47   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Thanks to you netchef. I have noticed you on Airport Road on a number of occasions. I am glad that on the fateful day, we were able to share Hellos.

I'll share my experiences very soon.
fi.robin: Welcome to the gang, Sir. Flag me down any time- it'll be a pleasure to speak with you.

Great that you finally got through and managed to post. Now we can hear your in-depth Fabia story. Remember, a picture speaks a thousand words, so if you can lay your hands on a half-decent camera, that's the trick.
Old 13th February 2009, 17:40   #1034

After driving Fabia 1.2 for about 1800 kms in 4 months, I got mileage of 14.7 kms/ltr on highway on 250 km trip to Karjat recently. This includes lots of bad farm road in Karjat and part city driving in Mumbai. Must say the ride and handling of the Fabia is much superior to my last owned maruti Swift.Petrol fabia does not feel underpowered on Highway and it disgiuses the 3 cylinder engine very well.
Also, I discovered something new. Apparantely there is a "button' to release the locked vapors of fuel near the entry of the fuel hose. The green button is very small and can be easily missed. The amount of fuel that can be pumped in after the first autoshut off of nozzle is about 11.5 litres (verified twice). I am suprised that i and all the pump attentdants had overlooked this till now.
Other petrol Fabia owners, please do post the mileage figures.
amplyfryed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 20:48   #1035
Senior - BHPian

for the Fabia owners here. How has the maitainenece issues been? A lot of users are shouting about high costs contradicting market reports.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote