Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th February 2009, 14:07   #1036
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I am a new member here. My Fabia is 6 months and 8600 KMS old now. In this short span it has seen places as far as Pune, Goa, and Daman etc. It is understandable that I don’t enjoy the Bangalore’s bumper to bumper traffic. I am lucky to stay very close to my workplace.

Before I continue with my story, I would like to give credit to all the members here for making this thread so lively. Hats off to netchef for keeping people glued (your writings, God!).

Here goes the story.

How I know Skoda and Fabia.
My liking for Skoda came into existence when I was pursuing my under-grads in Delhi University. It was those days when Octavia was launched. I was impressed. The Octy looked solid yet elegant. I started harboring the secret desire of owning one (if only for the cash).

January 2002, Auto-Expo, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. We (friends & I) got free entry in business hour through contacts (who had 300 bucks to spare for a ticket when we were surviving on Rs 15 a month student’s DTC’s student bus passes). The best thing about business hour is that there is very little crowd.You get enough time and space to ogle and drool at your dream machines. I faintly remember the Beemer 7 series on a revolving platform. Heavenly it was, I must say. It was there that I was enlightened about Fabia. There was a Fabia Combi on display which led me to think “may be I can buy this one some day if not the Octy”. There is no harm in dreaming. Anyways chasing is the best part, whether chasing a dream or wooing a girl. Mungeri lal ke haseen sapne.

Chasing the Dream.
December 2006, my girlfriend (my wife now) and I were offered jobs in a company in Bangalore through campus recruitment with decent salary. We still had six months before we could join the company, so what do we do. We dreamt and dreamt and dreamt more. It was easily the best part of my life. We had a job secured in future and were still in college, couldn’t ask for more.

With no news of launch of the Fabia in near future and Octy being way out of our budget, we set our eyes on NHC. Everybody loved NHC and so did we. After all it is still classy.But then an auto magazine published an article about Fabia and its expected launch in late 2008. The car looked very cute in those glossy pages, resulting in confusion for us.

Six months later we landed in Bangalore and we were hit by the realty, the corporate world. Days passed by as we tried to manage the transition from college life to corporate life. “Cars! What cars! I don’t have time for them”.

Slowly we imbibed the corporate lifestyle. We would often visit the showrooms to have a peek at the cars. We were mostly ignored at the showrooms because of our young and not so serious looks. There is a way out though, call them to your company rather than going yourself to the dealers. After all, they aggressively target the corporate guys.

Another six months passed and the Fabia was launched. We checked one of the dealers in Bangalore, but the price was a let down. Come June and urge to own my first car was killing me. Meanwhile I was getting frequent calls from Skoda dealers about the launch of 1.2 HTP.

Decision Making.
It was about time that we got serious and started looking at options. We picked a pen to do our back of envelop calculations and started eliminating cars one by one. The first to go out was NHC as it was also high on our list. The decision was easy as it didn’t have the must have features, no ABS, no Airbags and no immobilisers. Fiesta, Fusion, Aveo and Logan were also eliminated for similar reasons. Slowly the list boiled down to Swift ZXi and Fabia 1.2 Amb. Life became difficult for us from here on. Both cars matched each other feature on feature. We first looked at the Swift. The climate control and steering wheel stereo controls looked good. Its engine was inspiring too. Add to it the network of Maruti and low spare costs. Swift was cheaper also, and hence made a practical decision.

But Fabia was more tempting. It had what we were looking for. Solid build quality as the crust. Filled with delicious creamy interiors that could bring even the pricier cars to shame. It won my heart over and over again. After all it is the cabin where we spend most of the time, isn’t it? Icing with some very convenient features. Wow! The key fob. Sprinkled with the exclusivity and there we were, all ready to eat the Fabia cake. Haven’t we seen the videos of the Fabia cake? Most importantly, it suited our budget well. The engine was a bit of let down, but who cared as long the car had the ability to pamper me.

Living the Dream.
We took the delivery of the Fabia on 1st of August, 2008. My first car. Clicked snaps, thanked the people at the showroom and left all happy and excited. It was a few weeks before the excitement subsided.

Till now we have covered more than 8600 happy KMS in the car. The first trip was to Mysuru (Mysore) then to Nandi Hills. In November we went to Goa and last month we drove the Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai-Vapi (Daman)-Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore. A total of 2600 KMS in one week with lots of site seeing.

The very idea of being in the car makes the blood rush through my veins. We are loving every bit of it, even the Skoda calendar. I am going to get a ’09 copy for myself today.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-img_1926.jpg  

Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-img_1924.jpg  

Attached Images

fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 20:23   #1037
BHPian

Default Calendar

We got the '09 calendar today. It is a disappointment. But I hear the diary is good. Will wait for it.
Old 16th February 2009, 17:46   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplyfryed View Post
... there is a "button' to release the locked vapors of fuel near the entry of the fuel hose
amplyfryed: Thanks for the tip. First I've ever heard of such a feature.
I drive a diesel. She hovers around 15 kmpl in town, but with recent mixed use delivered 17.5 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
for the Fabia owners here. How has the maitainenece issues been? A lot of users are shouting about high costs contradicting market reports.
devarshi84: The Fabia has only been on the roads a year now. I'd be surprised if anyone can arrive at maintenance costs so soon. What does show up -or has- will be the aberration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Hi Folks,
I am a new member here. My Fabia is 6 months and 8600 KMS old now. In this short span it has seen places as far as Pune, Goa, and Daman etc.
fi.robin: Brilliant story right from Decision making to Living the Dream, and lovely pics too. Your passion for your machine comes through- keep it up.

"...I would like to give credit to all the members here for making this thread so lively. Hats off to netchef for keeping people glued (your writings, God!). ..."

Thanks, kindly.
Come back soon with some adventure stories and images. I haven't of late found the time/bandwidth/connectivity to write at length, but I'm with you gents in spirit, and definitely manage a quick dekko through the posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 17th February 2009 at 18:39.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 00:03   #1039
BHPian

Congrats Robin. Beautiful writeup

Skoda spares have always been expensive , since the Fabia being a CBU i guess its spares would also be expensive.

Last edited by chetan : 17th February 2009 at 00:14.
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 02:35   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Wouldnt that be a write-off without any knowledge? I know many people considered Mitsubishi lancer parts expensive compared to OHC. But they lasted longer.

I am not contesting in Skoda's favour though.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 10:15   #1041
BHPian

Smile

'belated' congrats Robin it was wonderful reading again through the confusions and joy associated with the decision making. More pics from your trips are welcome.

Seems KAjay went off with his fabia to wilderness and forgot to get off from the driving seat. By the way, Netchef is going to celebrate his car's first anniversary tomorrow. How are you going to treat us General?
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:46   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Wouldnt that be a write-off without any knowledge? I know many people considered Mitsubishi lancer parts expensive compared to OHC. But they lasted longer.

I am not contesting in Skoda's favour though.
devarshi84; I'm sorry, Sir, but I don't understand you.
My take on it: yes, Skoda spares are expensive, but there's currently no way of knowing how well put-together the car is to get an accurate fix on how long the parts last (the key thing as you pointed out in your Mitsubishi example).

So, Fabia parts may cost an arm and a leg, but if you need to drive the car lakhs of kms/a decade or two before she needs any prime pieces, it's ok (in the cost/km maintenance yardstick).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
'belated' congrats Robin it was wonderful reading again through the confusions and joy associated with the decision making. More pics from your trips are welcome.

Seems KAjay went off with his fabia to wilderness and forgot to get off from the driving seat. By the way, Netchef is going to celebrate his car's first anniversary tomorrow. How are you going to treat us General?
Mysticeyes: Hello sir. Good to hear from you.

TREAT? Anything you wish. Any time.

BTW I reverted to my old Insurer (United india Assurance) for the Princely sum of Rs 7779/- I got a 50% NCB, and 40% something or other, and a personal discount from my neighbour, their GM. Inside trick you need to watch for is some sort of 'floor' that they deduct before making any pay outs. If it's 5K, they'll deduct that from your claim amount (say 80K), and then work a standard formula on what's left. Can't recall the industry term for it.

The private Insurers who called me 24/7 for weeks are NOT happy.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:05   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Congrats Robin. Beautiful writeup

Skoda spares have always been expensive , since the Fabia being a CBU i guess its spares would also be expensive.
Fabia is not a CBU. It is not even fully CKD.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 16:25   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Fabia is not a CBU. It is not even fully CKD.
Not a single part I know is made here in India. From Bolts to larger panels, from seats to anything plastic part one can think of, is all import. Have a look at any part in the car and most of them will say made in germany.
One of the reason its parts are expensive.

Robin: Thats a great cover story. Trust me I went through the same dilemma you did and eventually landed buying fabia. I found it over priced just like almost we all did. But, after getting and driving around I realised I made no mistake in choosing one. Congrats. Keep writing your experiences. And that's a great color wish they had that color available in elegance model.

NETCHEF: Congrats for completing one year with your baby. Just wanted to check did you get the nitrogen filled in the tyres? I remember you asking me details on it. We all are in for any treat but let us know what you gifted your baby on its 1st bday.

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th February 2009 at 16:26.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 17:41   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Robin: Thats a great cover story. Trust me I went through the same dilemma you did and eventually landed buying fabia. I found it over priced just like almost we all did. But, after getting and driving around I realised I made no mistake in choosing one. Congrats. Keep writing your experiences. And that's a great color wish they had that color available in elegance model.
Invisible: Thank you, sir. I saw an elegance model in this color with black interiors this weekend. I was also informed of launch of 1.2 HTP Elegance model. OTR Bangalore 7.5 lacs.

netchef, chetan, Mysticeyes: Thanks to you too. I will definitely post about my Goa and Daman trip. But is this the right thread to do that, or do I need to open a new one.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:44   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Not a single part I know is made here in India. From Bolts to larger panels, from seats to anything plastic part one can think of, is all import. Have a look at any part in the car and most of them will say made in germany.
One of the reason its parts are expensive.

NETCHEF: Congrats for completing one year with your baby. Just wanted to check did you get the nitrogen filled in the tyres? I remember you asking me details on it. We all are in for any treat but let us know what you gifted your baby on its 1st bday.
Invinsible:
"...Not a single part I know is made here in India. ..."
Correct. I'd heard the same, and it explains why the tyres and battery are (or were) unheard of foreign brands. As of when my car rolled out (of a box?), the Dealer averred that the units were completely built units that were shipped in.

"Congrats for completing one year with your baby..."

Thanks, Sir. Sorry to say I've not bestowed anything on her. I did go hunting for the Nitro one day not long back, but the operator was AWOL so I slunk off. I haven't been finding much time to do the small things I'd planned on...and dad's recent illness compounded by a new project put the kaibosh on it.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:17   #1047
BHPian

Default Pics from Deer Park, Silvasa

I had not imagined this even in the wildest of dreams. Animal Therapy.
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2009, 19:25   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post

BTW I reverted to my old Insurer (United india Assurance) for the Princely sum of Rs 7779/- I got a 50% NCB, and 40% something or other, and a personal discount from my neighbour, their GM. Inside trick you need to watch for is some sort of 'floor' that they deduct before making any pay outs. If it's 5K, they'll deduct that from your claim amount (say 80K), and then work a standard formula on what's left. Can't recall the industry term for it.

The private Insurers who called me 24/7 for weeks are NOT happy.
That's simply awesome Netchef - never heard of that kind of discount and never cross my mind to ask for anything more than a 20% NCB after year 1 - will wait for my next round of insurance to remember these tricks!

Thanks,
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 19:48   #1049
BHPian

VW Golf, snapped on my return trip from Goa, road testing on Pune - Bangalore NH4 (near Tumkur).
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2009, 20:23   #1050
BHPian

that deer was very close to fabia
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote