Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th February 2009, 09:03   #1051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I had not imagined this even in the wildest of dreams. Animal Therapy.

fi.robin: Sir, where is Silvasa? Never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
That's simply awesome Netchef - never heard of that kind of discount and never cross my mind to ask for anything more than a 20% NCB after year 1 - will wait for my next round of insurance to remember these tricks!

Thanks,
diffsoft: These days, competition is improving the breed and we- the consumer- stand to gain. But be wary as they have various tricks up their sleeves. It is worth fighting over every penny as, in all probability, it's money down the drain. Most people I know- including myself- just don't bother claiming for damage in the tens of thousands. As a result I had a 7 year long clean record with United India on my Cielo.

And remember, benefits are portable between Insurers and the new incumbent has to honour what you got coming to you.

Quote:
VW Golf, snapped on my return trip from Goa, road testing on Pune - Bangalore NH4 (near Tumkur).
fi.robin: Any clue what price band this could fly in at? They're cousins to our Fabias and Octis.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 10:15   #1052
BHPian

Smile Happy Birthday..

Happy Birthday to Netchef's baby..May you enjoy thousands of miles with your Fabia. Wish they had the candle smiley

There was an article in Overdrive back in July 2008. As per the article, Golf might be priced in Fabia's price range or somewhere bit down

@ fi.robin, you can post the pics involving Fabia in this thread. The travelogues with other pics can be posted in the Street & Travel Experience section
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 12:28   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
fi.robin: Sir, where is Silvasa? Never heard of it.

Silvasa falls in Gujrat near to DAMAN, VAPI.
Robin looks like this Deer park place seems fun, a lot of fun. Can you direct where in Silvasa is this place ?

diffsoft: These days, competition is improving the breed and we- the consumer- stand to gain. But be wary as they have various tricks up their sleeves. It is worth fighting over every penny as, in all probability, it's money down the drain. Most people I know- including myself- just don't bother claiming for damage in the tens of thousands. As a result I had a 7 year long clean record with United India on my Cielo.

And remember, benefits are portable between Insurers and the new incumbent has to honour what you got coming to you.

NETCHEF: that's a great package you got there, truly worth it, amazing.

fi.robin: Any clue what price band this could fly in at? They're cousins to our Fabias and Octis.
Expect the GOLF to start from 10.5-11L going upto 12 to 12.5L. GOLF is same as Jetta without Booth.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 14:19   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
GOLF is same as Jetta without Booth.
Booth?

Invinsible:
I heard that Fabia and Golf share the same platform.

fi.robin:
Nice report. Like Invinsible said, I too went thru dilemma of going for a costly hatch. But now I enjoy every bit of it.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 14:21   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Happy Birthday to Netchef's baby..May you enjoy thousands of miles with your Fabia. Wish they had the candle smiley

There was an article in Overdrive back in July 2008. As per the article, Golf might be priced in Fabia's price range or somewhere bit down

@ fi.robin, you can post the pics involving Fabia in this thread. The travelogues with other pics can be posted in the Street & Travel Experience section
Mysticeyes:Thank-you, Sir. Very kind of you.

Quote:
Expect the GOLF to start from 10.5-11L going upto 12 to 12.5L. GOLF is same as Jetta without Booth.
Invinsible: Ah, expensive. What engines are on offer? They are solid machines: a family friend- an old lady- got hers brand new 24 or 25 years ago, and I drove it back then. It still runs like the day it took its first gasp. BTW the owner is 89 years old and used to drive the car herself till late last year when her Doc advised her to retire her gloves.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:13   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysticeyes:Thank-you, Sir. Very kind of you.

Invinsible: Ah, expensive. What engines are on offer? They are solid machines: a family friend- an old lady- got hers brand new 24 or 25 years ago, and I drove it back then. It still runs like the day it took its first gasp. BTW the owner is 89 years old and used to drive the car herself till late last year when her Doc advised her to retire her gloves.
Fabia is based on PQ25 platform which is a revised version of PQ24 which was used in VW Polo MK4, Seat Ibiza and others. You'll get more details here..
Volkswagen Group A0 platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one Robin saw is GOLF MK5. Which I suppose would come with the same Laura / Jetta engine which is the 1.9 TDI 105bhp. But I just hope they also give the option of 2.0TDI 140bhp or 170bhp, along with 1.8T petrol engine. Then it would surely be a Super Hot Hatch, truly worth the money. After all how many people truly make the use of boot space. I barely make use of the boot on the fabia which is what I and many others here thought of and bought the car. Golf is a extremly solid car, if well maintained can last for years, no wonder there are more than a million sold through all these years.
You'll get more details on GOLF MK5 here
Volkswagen Golf Mk5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 17:52   #1057
BHPian

The Golf in the Pic is 2.0 Tdi. Could not take a closer picture because the power in the camera went off at the wrong time. There is some info about this in the Jan issue of Autocar
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 18:37   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
that deer was very close to fabia
In deed it was . It was looking for a free ride .

Invinsible, netchef: Silvasa is the capital of the Indian Union Territory of Dadra ana Nagar Haveli. Lies on the Western ghats and is surrounded by Gujrat and Maharastra. I don't know the exact location of the deer park but from google maps it seems to be on SH 185 (my wife was navigating me, she knows the area well). We were Budhani bound from Vapi when we saw the gate of the Vasona deer park. Entry is free and you can take your car inside. It closes at 6 pm.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 09:34   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Fabia is based on PQ25 platform which is a revised version of PQ24 which was used in VW Polo MK4, Seat Ibiza and others. You'll get more details here..
Volkswagen Group A0 platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one Robin saw is GOLF MK5. Which I suppose would come with the same Laura / Jetta engine which is the 1.9 TDI 105bhp. But I just hope they also give the option of 2.0TDI 140bhp or 170bhp, along with 1.8T petrol engine. Then it would surely be a Super Hot Hatch, truly worth the money. After all how many people truly make the use of boot space. I barely make use of the boot on the fabia which is what I and many others here thought of and bought the car. Golf is a extremly solid car, if well maintained can last for years, no wonder there are more than a million sold through all these years.
You'll get more details on GOLF MK5 here
Volkswagen Golf Mk5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Invinsible: 170BHP?? That would blow the rest out of their socks. Thanks for enlightening me.

Quote:
The Golf in the Pic is 2.0 Tdi. Could not take a closer picture because the power in the camera went off at the wrong time. There is some info about this in the Jan issue of Autocar
fi.robin: Thanks. 2.0 is a decent round number. I never could fathom the 1.9 proffered by the Octavia and others. It's like it's there but just a gasp away.

Quote:
In deed it was . It was looking for a free ride .

Invinsible, netchef: Silvasa is the capital of the Indian Union Territory of Dadra ana Nagar Haveli. Lies on the Western ghats and is surrounded by Gujrat and Maharastra. I don't know the exact location of the deer park but from google maps it seems to be on SH 185 (my wife was navigating me, she knows the area well). We were Budhani bound from Vapi when we saw the gate of the Vasona deer park. Entry is free and you can take your car inside. It closes at 6 pm.
fi.robin: One lives and one learns! Never knew of such a Union Territory. Lokks gorgeous, though. Warming to see wild creatures in their natural habitat.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:07   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Fabia is not a CBU. It is not even fully CKD.
Then what do you think it is ?
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 11:53   #1061
Senior - BHPian

They import quite a bit of parts, but some things are locally procured. They used to import the tyres and even the batteries. But that has changed.
ImmortalZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 14:05   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
They import quite a bit of parts, but some things are locally procured. They used to import the tyres and even the batteries. But that has changed.
ImmortalZ: That's a bit I never could understand. Why didn't they at least localize tyres and batteries and suchlike from day one? We have prominent international brands made and sold in India, so quality couldn't have been the issue. Was it perhaps logistics? Cars were already fully assembled and would require extra labour to deconstruct them -to that extent- and further man-hours to add the Indian bits. Can't figure out some of these corporate peccadilloes.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:21   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
ImmortalZ: That's a bit I never could understand. Why didn't they at least localize tyres and batteries and suchlike from day one?
netchef:
It's purely because of time. If they have to localize the parts, it takes a long time. Normally a car manufacturer will ask its current vendors to set up shops near their plant. Obviously its a time taking process. And in case if that product fails to make any impact in the market, it will be a huge loss to the company and to its vendors. So they prefer to bring the cars as Completely Built Units.

PS: Remember, when TATA Nano plant moved from WB to Maharastra, a lot of its vendors also got affected as they already bought land started the construction.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 09:09   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
netchef:
It's purely because of time. If they have to localize the parts, it takes a long time. Normally a car manufacturer will ask its current vendors to set up shops near their plant. Obviously its a time taking process. And in case if that product fails to make any impact in the market, it will be a huge loss to the company and to its vendors. So they prefer to bring the cars as Completely Built Units.

PS: Remember, when TATA Nano plant moved from WB to Maharastra, a lot of its vendors also got affected as they already bought land started the construction.
MadRash: All fine, but for tyres and such ingredients, don't manufacturers go with a set of approved vendors? I know the Tata story, but that was a greenfield project with a lot of the supply chain planned on-site.
BTW any idea what localisation on the Octavia and other Skoda cars?
Old 20th February 2009, 11:00   #1065
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing less than 11-12 big ones, since they would position it as a Civic/Altis competitor. I will have a heart failure if it goes south of 10L. Plus the Golf looks like Mk5 while the Mk6 is already out. Can VW do a Qualis ?
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote