Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th February 2009, 13:55   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Nothing less than 11-12 big ones, since they would position it as a Civic/Altis competitor. I will have a heart failure if it goes south of 10L. Plus the Golf looks like Mk5 while the Mk6 is already out. Can VW do a Qualis ?
Golf mk6 would definately be great car to have but guess it would not be feasible for the company to launch it here as the cost factor would push this car above 14L. With the Indian mindset of Sedan being better than hatchback I doubt it would do any numbers. That said MK5 is a great car as well. What i would expect is a full blown GOLF GTI with 2.0TFSI 200hp engine. It drives great, handles awesome, has set the benchmark of HOT hatch. MK6 is not even launched yet in the US, don't think they would thinking of launching it in India any soon. First let us see how does MK5 performs in Indian Market.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 14:31   #1067
BHPian

[quote=indivic;1180525]quote]

indivic:I will have a heart failure if it goes south of 10L.

Ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Golf mk6 would definately be great car to have but guess it would not be feasible for the company to launch it here as the cost factor would push this car above 14L. With the Indian mindset of Sedan being better than hatchback I doubt it would do any numbers. That said MK5 is a great car as well. What i would expect is a full blown GOLF GTI with 2.0TFSI 200hp engine. It drives great, handles awesome, has set the benchmark of HOT hatch. MK6 is not even launched yet in the US, don't think they would thinking of launching it in India any soon. First let us see how does MK5 performs in Indian Market.
Invinsible: We're always a generation behind. You think we'll ever catch up or even lead?

Fuel: I filled up at the Shell bunk on the Hosur Roadminutes back and the thick stuff (diesel) is down to Rs 35/litre which, they told me, is on par with the public sector prices! So, it's a first for me: I got all Shell juices in my Fabia.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 14:51   #1068
BHPian

Quote:

The Mark6 has been brought forward to deal with issues with cost of manufacture and the like. And the US will be getting it around September this year as a Golf, and not the more emasculated sounding Rabbit.

By that logic, bringing and selling the Mark5 in India ( which in countries like Canada has been around for precisely 3 years only) makes no sense.
Why would we want to pay for yet another obsolete (even if capable) auto? If we cant do the numbers for the base versions (because we are not given the option to), who's going to pay for the GTI??

Isn't asking for 12-15 large ones enough to pay for the best and latest? If the Golf's kissing cousins like the Fabia, Laura, A4 and the like all come here in at least the same visual avatar as their foreign counterparts, why not this VW?

The Passat is the new one, so is the Touareg, and the CC when launched will not be last gen. Ditto the Tiguan. So why single out this one?

In fact the Polo is also due for a revise internationally from next year, and I sincerely hope their India (booted) version comes with the Scirocco/ Mk6 influenced styling, because otherwise their current Polo Classic looks like the Fiat Petra.

And can this thread be moved to some new "Golf" thread or such?! I would for one be very happy to discuss this there, given this car is something I hope, hope, hope makes it to India!

Besides, we are taking up the Fabiosi's thread with this discussion, and I would not want to step on Netchef's toes-ies!
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 17:06   #1069
BHPian

Default Yeti

In today's TOI, an article mentioned that Skoda is planning to release YETI crossover in India . Looks like Fabia's UK cousins are making it to India. Good for those who are looking for quality & likes.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 18:41   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post

Besides, we are taking up the Fabiosi's thread with this discussion, and I would not want to step on Netchef's toes-ies!
crackingride: Ha ha, Sir. Not at all. Cousins make dozens as is said in some obscure vernacular/patois.

BTW I saw the sexiest Tuareg V-10 diesel. And exchanged words with the driver (just conversed, I promise). Import, 3 years old, oozed panache and presence and in pristine black. My dream wheels without doubt. Not with V-6. Not with V-8. ONLY the V-10 diesel for me. I bet it can tow the INS Vikrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
In today's TOI, an article mentioned that Skoda is planning to release YETI crossover in India . Looks like Fabia's UK cousins are making it to India. Good for those who are looking for quality & likes.
MadRash: Now why does YETI sound familiar? It will come back to me. In 16 years

Last edited by netchef : 20th February 2009 at 18:44. Reason: after thought
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:08   #1071
BHPian

Talking a tale of few cousins..

dear fabiosis, did you see the print ads in major newspapers on saturday and today? along with the ad, there's an announcement in fine print that "1.2 Elegance" is available now. the ad goes on to mention some of the features and it mentioned "projector headlamps", "sunroof" etc..Is it a case of plonking the 1.2 engine in the body of the erstwhile 1.4 Elegance??

another interesting thing in the ad is that the "price starts at Rs. 4.88 lakhs". i think now, Classic is the entry trim, with Active being scrapped. Anyone got any idea how this price reduction is possible? Or did Skoda start manufacturing fabia from the new Chakan plant of VW? had read once that once Chakan plant is put in operation, Skoda would reduce the price of fabia, but going by the dates they mentioned, Chakan was expected to be up and running by June 2009 only.

Since Audi, VW & Skoda are "Kissing Cousins", i hope brief mention about the cousins won't be offtopic.Speaking of Taureg, I spotted an angelic white Taureg on saturday, it was behind my car, filling the RVM with the class VW logo for quite sometime in a traffic jam, and once the road cleared, it pulled off in a flash. Must admit that Taureg looks so elegant copmpared to the macho Audi Q7. ANd of late, Jetta has been cannibalizing the sales of Octavia (Jetta sure looks bit "dated" while looked head on, but classic from the rear, but Octavia seems more "dated"). Germans seems to be gaining the upper hand (particular segments) in kerala as far as my observation has gone. talking to my friend in Honda gave me a feeling that Jetta (higher trim) has started denting the market of Civic and the 1.6 petrol jetta has dented the sales of new City. is it the solid engineering behind german cars or does the market consider that german badge has more value than japanese in such segments?
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:46   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
dear fabiosis, did you see the print ads in major newspapers on saturday and today? along with the ad, there's an announcement in fine print that "1.2 Elegance" is available now. the ad goes on to mention some of the features and it mentioned "projector headlamps", "sunroof" etc..Is it a case of plonking the 1.2 engine in the body of the erstwhile 1.4 Elegance??

another interesting thing in the ad is that the "price starts at Rs. 4.88 lakhs". i think now, Classic is the entry trim, with Active being scrapped.
The 1.2 Elegance is for 7.5lacs OTR in Bangalore, 1.2 Amb for 6.9lacs OTR and 1.2 Classic for 6.18lacs (checked today with Tafe, Bangalore). What you are pointing at may just be a marketing gimmick. They print the price of the base model and write the features of the top end model, all to attract costumers to their showrooms. May be the local dealer is still having the Active version in stock.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:30   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
The 1.2 Elegance is for 7.5lacs OTR in Bangalore, 1.2 Amb for 6.9lacs OTR and 1.2 Classic for 6.18lacs (checked today with Tafe, Bangalore). What you are pointing at may just be a marketing gimmick. They print the price of the base model and write the features of the top end model, all to attract costumers to their showrooms. May be the local dealer is still having the Active version in stock.
ofcourse, its marketing gimmick robin. but what amazed me is the figure '4.88 lakhs'. now you gave a possible explanation as for clearing up the old stocks of Active version through discounts
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:53   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Since Audi, VW & Skoda are "Kissing Cousins", i hope brief mention about the cousins won't be offtopic.Speaking of Taureg, I spotted an angelic white Taureg on saturday, it was behind my car, filling the RVM with the class VW logo for quite sometime in a traffic jam, and once the road cleared, it pulled off in a flash. Must admit that Taureg looks so elegant copmpared to the macho Audi Q7. ANd of late, Jetta has been cannibalizing the sales of Octavia (Jetta sure looks bit "dated" while looked head on, but classic from the rear, but Octavia seems more "dated"). Germans seems to be gaining the upper hand (particular segments) in kerala as far as my observation has gone. talking to my friend in Honda gave me a feeling that Jetta (higher trim) has started denting the market of Civic and the 1.6 petrol jetta has dented the sales of new City. is it the solid engineering behind german cars or does the market consider that german badge has more value than japanese in such segments?
Mysticeyes: I didn't see the ads for the cost-effective Fabia, but it's a good thing they are rationalizing prices. The day they'll rattle the competition is when they sell for 5 lakhs OTR.

I'm not at all surprised the Jetta is eating into Sushi territory.The Germans are coming?

Quote:
fi.robin: 7.5 lakhs for the 1.2 Elegance is still pricey IMO. The Classic price point- now they're talking.

The perfidy of marketing gimmicks is something I never thought I'd see Skoda resort to, but it's possibly their dealers who are stooping that low.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:45   #1075
BHPian

Default servicing tips

My car is nearing 9000 km and I am planning to give it for it's first service. I need any and every kind of advice on this.

Meanwhile I am making a list of all the noise that annoys me. I am sure nothing can be done about the infamous left side dash board rattle, which occurs when driven on a rough patch, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for the others.

The sound from the suspension resembles shaking of a partially filled bottle. That too, only when driven at very slow speeds over the bumps. On my last highway trip I realized that the squeaky sound that until now we considered to be coming from the steering column was actually coming from the transparent plastic on the speedometer/ tachometer, which jars at high speed. Hopefully they will be able to stick it up. Stuffing a piece of paper seems to work as a home remedy. These are hardly audible anyone else, but for my fidgety ear.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:36   #1076
BHPian

Default Digest this, guys

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ker-skoda.html (Another Shocker from Skoda)

It thrilled me, it horrified me at some level. 147 BHP AND a Boot! for a little more than a Lakh above what my Fabia cost me...
Old 24th February 2009, 22:33   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ker-skoda.html (Another Shocker from Skoda)

It thrilled me, it horrified me at some level. 147 BHP AND a Boot! for a little more than a Lakh above what my Fabia cost me...
I know that's just great but i suppose that to be an ex showroom price and not the on road price.
Skoda 1.8petrol is a great car no doubt, with a simple remap can take you close to 200bhp. And if you have your pocket filled with green paper it would take you 300+bhp, with just a turbo upgrade, new intercooler, full exhaust, remap, complete new suspension and brakes..etc.

I have been looking around for getting a used Skoda Vrs which with just 20-30K kms on it can cost you around 7- 8L. But somehow my mind is not agreeing too it.
Also, I wonder if the RS sells at this cost after 3 yrs of use, which costed 14.5 new, I wonder what would the Skoda Tpi hold a value after 3-4 yrs of use. At 9.50L and more than a decade old design, it could be one of the antique/classic car to posses in the future. Now that's what making on hold back to go for one.

Another thought running in my head is to wait for the Golf and boost it, 240bhp with 450NM of torque is a piece of cake. and its a diesel with 50MPG as well.

ROBIN: What ever you do insist on asking them to solve the noise issue you have incase it does appear again after service take sometime out and get it fixed again, before the problem aggravates.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 09:41   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
My car is nearing 9000 km and I am planning to give it for it's first service. I need any and every kind of advice on this.

Meanwhile I am making a list of all the noise that annoys me. I am sure nothing can be done about the infamous left side dash board rattle, which occurs when driven on a rough patch, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for the others.

The sound from the suspension resembles shaking of a partially filled bottle. That too, only when driven at very slow speeds over the bumps. On my last highway trip I realized that the squeaky sound that until now we considered to be coming from the steering column was actually coming from the transparent plastic on the speedometer/ tachometer, which jars at high speed. Hopefully they will be able to stick it up. Stuffing a piece of paper seems to work as a home remedy. These are hardly audible anyone else, but for my fidgety ear.
fi.robin: 9000 kms? That's quick. My experience with the First service has been recorded for posterity on these pages not so long ago. However, it was a very light engagement as I had no niggling issues to sort- in fact nothing untoward at all. It was a quick in and out with oil change, filter change, wash and vacuum. Period.

It depends to large extent on the dealer- IMO. Do you patronize TAFE? They seemed quite professional to me. Like Invinsible says, take the time to note down each and every problem you are facing, and explain it to the Service Advisor. Building a relationship with the SA is key to smooth sailing (in fact they drove home this point to me).

Quote:
I know that's just great but i suppose that to be an ex showroom price and not the on road price.
Skoda 1.8petrol is a great car no doubt, with a simple remap can take you close to 200bhp. And if you have your pocket filled with green paper it would take you 300+bhp, with just a turbo upgrade, new intercooler, full exhaust, remap, complete new suspension and brakes..etc.

I have been looking around for getting a used Skoda Vrs which with just 20-30K kms on it can cost you around 7- 8L. But somehow my mind is not agreeing too it.
Also, I wonder if the RS sells at this cost after 3 yrs of use, which costed 14.5 new, I wonder what would the Skoda Tpi hold a value after 3-4 yrs of use. At 9.50L and more than a decade old design, it could be one of the antique/classic car to posses in the future. Now that's what making on hold back to go for one.

Another thought running in my head is to wait for the Golf and boost it, 240bhp with 450NM of torque is a piece of cake. and its a diesel with 50MPG as well.

ROBIN: What ever you do insist on asking them to solve the noise issue you have incase it does appear again after service take sometime out and get it fixed again, before the problem aggravates.
Invinsible: Bloody VRS goes like the blazes. I was driven in a friend's couple of months ago...I think he had a new chip implant and probably Stage I mods. Impressive mover.

"Also, I wonder if the RS sells at this cost after 3 yrs of use, which costed 14.5 new, I wonder what would the Skoda Tpi hold a value after 3-4 yrs of use"

That graph gets less steep after a bit and will slowly plateau. It's the initial years that see maximum value-erosion.

New Cielos sold for 7 lakhs. I bought mine 4 years old for 2.4 lakhs and sold it after 6 years for 60 thousand. It's been 2 years since I sold the car, and the market seems to have stabilised at that price point (for that vintage of car).
Old 25th February 2009, 10:31   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
fi.robin: 9000 kms? That's quick. My experience with the First service has been recorded for posterity on these pages not so long ago. However, it was a very light engagement as I had no niggling issues to sort- in fact nothing untoward at all. It was a quick in and out with oil change, filter change, wash and vacuum. Period.

It depends to large extent on the dealer- IMO. Do you patronize TAFE? They seemed quite professional to me. Like Invinsible says, take the time to note down each and every problem you are facing, and explain it to the Service Advisor. Building a relationship with the SA is key to smooth sailing (in fact they drove home this point to me).
9000 kms is because of two long trips. One to Goa and another to Daman. These to trips alone account for close to 4500 kms.
You are right about relationship with the SA. So far I have been given to free car wash (I am also with Tafe).

Invinsible: I am on it.

Thanks guys.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:58   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
9000 kms is because of two long trips. One to Goa and another to Daman. These to trips alone account for close to 4500 kms.
You are right about relationship with the SA. So far I have been given to free car wash (I am also with Tafe).

Invinsible: I am on it.

Thanks guys.
fi.robin: Good luck, Sir.