Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd March 2009, 21:51   #1096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
fi.robin: There's a fine and professional set-up on St John's Church Road. I can't recall the name of the place but they've been in the biz for years. If you know St Germain's School, they're diagonally opposite.
netchef: Thanks, I'll discover that pretty soon.

shykrish: thank you, sir.

Did anyone check this month's Autocar issue for "spare parts prices" survey?
Fabia's spares compare with that of the Laura. In fact AC evaporator coil at 20k is 2 grands more than that of Laura . Interestingly Laure's spares seems to have become cheaper than last year. Side mirror casing is for only 5600, down from 14000 last year. Hope the Pune factory drives the Fabia's spare prices south.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:43   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
netchef: Thanks, I'll discover that pretty soon.

shykrish: thank you, sir.

Fabia's spares compare with that of the Laura. In fact AC evaporator coil at 20k is 2 grands more than that of Laura . Interestingly Laure's spares seems to have become cheaper than last year. Side mirror casing is for only 5600, down from 14000 last year. Hope the Pune factory drives the Fabia's spare prices south.

fi.robin: You're welcome, Sir. Good luck too.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:22   #1098
BHPian

Quote:

Well talking about spares, Fabia spares seems more expensive than all the mid sizer cars including Honda and Ford. Infact spares prices from Ford has really come down.
uneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:10   #1099
BHPian

Give me the era of Rajdoot and Jawa motorcycles. Entire lifetime spend of an average owner would run to hundreds of Rupees. As far as cars go, the Japs seem to have their reliability engineering down to a fine art, and considering most of what goes into them as far as technology goes has been around for ages, it really is surprising when products of well known manufacturers fail. Seems counter-intuitive then to me that they even think of building such suspect frills into the machines when they are not critical to ops, or when the system they replaced served just as well.

We tend to forget that billions of Dollars go into the development of these non-essentials.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:21   #1100
BHPian

Hi netchef:
This is the 1099th reply and 1100th post in this thread. This is the most replied thread under the category "Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports". No one should forget that this thread is about a car which addresses a niche market. Your language, courtesy and continuous replies made it happen. Congrats.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 09:59   #1101
BHPian

Default Keep It Revving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Hi netchef:
This is the 1099th reply and 1100th post in this thread. This is the most replied thread under the category "Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports". No one should forget that this thread is about a car which addresses a niche market. Your language, courtesy and continuous replies made it happen. Congrats.
MadRash: Thank you, Sir. And so too contributions, support, passion, trigger fingers, nomadic tendencies, penmanship, Dealer deconstruct, brand analysis, tyre analysis, story-telling, engineering, camaraderie, collectivism, philosophy, Czech philosophy, walkabout, driving-Ms-Daisy, Fabia-in-the-moonlight, Fabia-on-the-rocks...and MUCH MORE from noble Fabiosi such as your self.

KEEP IT REVVING!
Old 4th March 2009, 12:12   #1102
BHPian

Default Q

Hi Guys,

I test drove the 1.2 Fabia last week & asked the showroom guy about the average. He said it gives 15 KMPL in Pune city traffic. I cant believe this looking at the weight of the car.

A serious question to all 1.2 petrol Fabia owners. What’s the real KMPL you are getting in city traffic?
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:00   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone check this month's Autocar issue for "spare parts prices" survey? Fabia's spares compare with that of the Laura. In fact AC evaporator coil at 20k is 2 grands more than that of Laura
Dear Robin, i don't want to read the article again. just finished reading that ACI mag yesterday. After reading the comparison, now I wish I could've skipped that page Fabia sure is the 'price leader' in that segment with the percentage of parts to car price of 27.5% for 1.2 HTP and 22% for TDI To forget that worries, you can read the comparos of Fabia Vs i20 Vs Swift in other auto mags, including the Overdrive (latest edition) and Fabia comes on top. Where there is a will, theres a way. As for the mileage, it depends on the traffic conditions and driving habits. The mileage of my car is steady now around 12km/l in city drives. Another pat on the back for all fabiosis and General Netchef for keeping this thread so active and knowledgeable.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:48   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Dear Robin, i don't want to read the article again. just finished reading that ACI mag yesterday. After reading the comparison, now I wish I could've skipped that page Fabia sure is the 'price leader' in that segment with the percentage of parts to car price of 27.5% for 1.2 HTP and 22% for TDI To forget that worries, you can read the comparos of Fabia Vs i20 Vs Swift in other auto mags, including the Overdrive (latest edition) and Fabia comes on top. Where there is a will, theres a way. As for the mileage, it depends on the traffic conditions and driving habits. The mileage of my car is steady now around 12km/l in city drives. Another pat on the back for all fabiosis and General Netchef for keeping this thread so active and knowledgeable.

Mysticeyes: Good to see your blip, Sir. Active, maybe; knowledgeable thanks to you gents.

I have a point of view on the spares issue: Fabia's are new on the road. By the theory of probability- and going by the service requirements history of its siblings- there's a fair chance NONE of us will have to replace any parts for 3 or 4 years. When we get there, I have the strong feeling market pressures (as well as what aught to be WIP at Skoda-India already to source locally which will eliminate the Customs Duties) will have them bring down the price of spare parts substantially. They need to stay on par with their competitors else they're sunk.
So, there's no real worry.

95% of us won't require A/C condensors or crankshafts or alternators or clutches in the period. A prang is another thing altogether from standard wear-and-tear.

Last edited by netchef : 4th March 2009 at 13:52. Reason: point missed
Old 5th March 2009, 09:31   #1105
BHPian

Default Pictures say a thousand words

Guys: we've not had the pleasure of being wooed by your pixels for quite some time. All Fabia-related pics are welcome- but do I need to say that?
If you've added something extra or done up your wheels, or made a trip to some unheard of locale, please ship us your captured memories for us to drool over.

I apologize for not being camera savvy myself else you would surely have got some from me: the first and only set of my wheels- taken when she was just a baby- were clicked by my sister (being an Art Director helps). I'll try being extra nice to her...or Hell with it, just offer her a Bribe!
Old 6th March 2009, 16:10   #1106
BHPian

Default Was this the progenitor of our car?

I found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't mention car manufacture anywhere. Any clues?

Emil Škoda

Emil Škoda
Grave of Emil Škoda, St. Nicholas Cemetery, PlzeňEmil Ritter von Škoda (November 19, 1839, Pilsen, Bohemia – August 8, 1900, Amstetten, Austria) was a Czech engineer and industrialist.

[edit] Biography
Škoda studied engineering in Prague and Karlsruhe and in 1866 became chief engineer of the machine factory of Ernst von Waldstein-Wartenberg, founded in 1859 at Pilsen. He bought the factory three years later, in 1869, and began to expand it, building a railway connection to the facility in 1886 and adding an arms factory in 1890 to produce machine guns for the Austro-Hungarian Army. His facilities continued to expand over the next decade, and he incorporated his holdings in 1899 as the Škoda Works, which would become famous for its arms production in both World War I and World War II.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:17   #1107
BHPian

Default Fabia A/C Performance

Gentile Fabioso,

it's been sometime since I posted so the regulars might not recognize me...anyway my Fabia (1200 petrol) is now in its 6th month and has clocked around 5.5KM. I happily drive to office everyday...

Now with the Mercury shooting up in Hyderabad, I am not quite happy with the A/C performance. Before I take the car to the infamous (and only) Mahavir workshop, I wanted to check if there are known issues/ resolutions. Basically even if I put the A/C at max cool and use the recirculate mode (i.e. no pull outside air), I still feel the car pumping hot breeze. I park the car outside in sun at office and obviously it heats up the interiors. But the car already has:
1. Garware suncool film
2. I leave a small gap in the window so that hot air can escape
3. on starting the car I open windows for fresh to push in for some 5-10 mins

How can I ensure the a/c is working fine?
AdvaithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 00:03   #1108
BHPian

Fi.Robin for alignment you can take it Madhu's on double road he is very good , i think Maudhu's belongs to a bhpian.
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 08:51   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvaithC View Post
Gentile Fabioso,

it's been sometime since I posted so the regulars might not recognize me...anyway my Fabia (1200 petrol) is now in its 6th month and has clocked around 5.5KM. I happily drive to office everyday...

Now with the Mercury shooting up in Hyderabad, I am not quite happy with the A/C performance. Before I take the car to the infamous (and only) Mahavir workshop, I wanted to check if there are known issues/ resolutions. Basically even if I put the A/C at max cool and use the recirculate mode (i.e. no pull outside air), I still feel the car pumping hot breeze. I park the car outside in sun at office and obviously it heats up the interiors. But the car already has:
1. Garware suncool film
2. I leave a small gap in the window so that hot air can escape
3. on starting the car I open windows for fresh to push in for some 5-10 mins

How can I ensure the a/c is working fine?
AdvaithC: Of course I recognize you, Sir. It's good to see you. Your A/C seems to have something amiss with it. I am aware that Hyderabad gets hot enough to be put on the same page as some 'low down' HOT place, so that would put a huge strain on the performance of any A/C, but it does sound like yours is under-performing. Take it to the Dealer- pronto. They will fix it easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Fi.Robin for alignment you can take it Madhu's on double road he is very good , i think Maudhu's belongs to a bhpian.
chetan: Madhu's still exists? Wow. They used to be located adjacent to the Blood Bank on the curve opposite St Joseph's College Hostel, and were Dunlop dealers back then. I can remember taking our Standard 10 to them in 1982 to have a new tyre fitted prior to an outstation trip with the family to Srirangapatna. The previous year, I took Dad's Rajdoot to them for a set of rubbers.

If they are on Double Road, then they must have moved at some point. They were always courteous and profesional.

BTW the Dunlop tyre for the car cost Rs 700 in them days. Now you'd probably get a set of dust caps for the valves for that amount!
Old 10th March 2009, 09:56   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't mention car manufacture anywhere. Any clues?

Emil Škoda

Emil Škoda
Grave of Emil Škoda, St. Nicholas Cemetery, PlzeňEmil Ritter von Škoda (November 19, 1839, Pilsen, Bohemia – August 8, 1900, Amstetten, Austria) was a Czech engineer and industrialist.

[edit] Biography
Škoda studied engineering in Prague and Karlsruhe and in 1866 became chief engineer of the machine factory of Ernst von Waldstein-Wartenberg, founded in 1859 at Pilsen. He bought the factory three years later, in 1869, and began to expand it, building a railway connection to the facility in 1886 and adding an arms factory in 1890 to produce machine guns for the Austro-Hungarian Army. His facilities continued to expand over the next decade, and he incorporated his holdings in 1899 as the Škoda Works, which would become famous for its arms production in both World War I and World War II.
Well actually Škoda emerged from a company started by 2 individuals, Vaclav Laurin and Klement (hence the premiuim trim level). I think the outfit was initially named Slovak (circa 1895?), selling bicyles and then motorised bicyles. Somewhere along the way in the early 1900s they made their first car, and pretty much haven't stopped since. Im told Škoda is one of only 4 manufacturers with the 100 year plus title.

How the name Škoda appeared I really dont know! Must find out.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote