Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th March 2009, 10:06   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvaithC View Post
Now with the Mercury shooting up in Hyderabad, I am not quite happy with the A/C performance.
Advaith:
Fabia's AC is one of the best I have seen so far. When I drive alone, I keep only two A/C vents open.

netchef:
You have a great memory.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:28   #1112
BHPian

You can find some info on wiki about Skoda. Skoda name comes from Skoda Works, which had acquired the Vaclav Laurin and Klement's company. You will basically have to look for Skoda Auto and Skoda Works on wikipedia for some interesting facts.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 11:36   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well actually Škoda emerged from a company started by 2 individuals, Vaclav Laurin and Klement (hence the premiuim trim level). I think the outfit was initially named Slovak (circa 1895?), selling bicyles and then motorised bicyles. Somewhere along the way in the early 1900s they made their first car, and pretty much haven't stopped since. Im told Škoda is one of only 4 manufacturers with the 100 year plus title.

How the name Škoda appeared I really dont know! Must find out.
karlosdeville: Laurin and Klement- that rings a bell. Thanks, Sir. I'll do some sputnikking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Advaith:
Fabia's AC is one of the best I have seen so far. When I drive alone, I keep only two A/C vents open.

netchef:
You have a great memory.
MadRash: Somehow the old people-place connects matter and therefore register. Landmarks too. Becomes a bit disconcerting when the entire skyline/facade/topography is denuded and nothing is recogniseable any more, and FAR worse when people fade out like yesterday's screensaver. I wonder if I'm alone in this: I gravitated to and found traction at the company where I currently consult only because I had a handful of old friends and colleagues already here. I'm so off the rails, I might have turned them down, else.

A firm at which I once worked moved premises after I left them. Couple of years later, I happened to drive down their lane- actually a cul-de-sac, that forced me to turn the car around right in front of the building...AND there were ghosts there. It was so unnerving. Now occupied by some other firm and with people milling around- yet I could not shrug off the feeling that faces/people/voices/memories I once knew were wiped off the slate. Bizarre. An unhappy thing- very sad, bereft. A feeling of loss, cold loss. Makes one realise how ephemeral and transient it all is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
You can find some info on wiki about Skoda. Skoda name comes from Skoda Works, which had acquired the Vaclav Laurin and Klement's company. You will basically have to look for Skoda Auto and Skoda Works on wikipedia for some interesting facts.
fi.robin: Thanks. How is your Fabia running? Any report in the offing?

Last edited by netchef : 10th March 2009 at 11:38. Reason: another thought, one spello
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 14:20   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
fi.robin: Thanks. How is your Fabia running? Any report in the offing?
Had my car serviced this Saturday.They did a decent job, except that they could not figure out the source of the dashboard flapping noise. It does not even bother me now .
The total cost was Rs 5120/- :
  • Few hundreds and three thousand for engine oil.
  • 700 for wheel alignment and balancing. It wasn't planned but I let them do it due to time constraints.
  • 435 for oil filter
  • and rest for other stuff like brake spray and taxes.
The car is running good. Although I can't make out much difference post the servicing. Poor observant.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:12   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Had my car serviced this Saturday.They did a decent job, except that they could not figure out the source of the dashboard flapping noise. It does not even bother me now .
The total cost was Rs 5120/- :
  • Few hundreds and three thousand for engine oil.
  • 700 for wheel alignment and balancing. It wasn't planned but I let them do it due to time constraints.
  • 435 for oil filter
  • and rest for other stuff like brake spray and taxes.
The car is running good. Although I can't make out much difference post the servicing. Poor observant.
fi.robin: Couple of Fabiosi have complained of an unexplained noise from the region of the dashboard- strange that different mechanics can't figure it out.

Don't worry too much about not being able to tell the difference, post-service. IMO and as far as my car went, there wasn't any. I think it's easy to be lulled into believing the engine is more refined, the gears shift better and whatnot, but much of that can be psychological. There is a certain 'feel good' factor about knowing your baby has been under the ministrations of the Doc, and the fresh interiors and shampooed bodywork add to it.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:31   #1116
BHPian

Default Fe

After running my car mostly on full tank, I allow the fuel meter to come close to the reserve-warning limit. This is the time when I can calculate the overall FE. You see, the reserve-warning light was on and the car had 18KM on its odo when I had taken the delivery in August. So a quick back of envelop calculation can give me the approx. overall FE.
  • Total distance covered after delivery : 9050 kms
  • Fuel consumed : 654 liters (regular petrol)
  • Overall FE : 13.838
Not bad, eh. Considering that FE was not really my priority at the time of purchase. Ofcourse long highway trips helped, but it must have been offset to some extent by very frequent and very short trips in the city. In the nascent phase my calculation had shown miserable figure of 8-9.

netchef: I have heard that the BP petrol pump Opp the Manipal Hospital on Airport road is the most reliable of all the bunks in the vicinity. One of the source of the info was Maruti Driving School (my wife took driving lessons there).
Old 11th March 2009, 12:42   #1117
BHPian

Quote:

netchef: I have heard that the BP petrol pump Opp the Manipal Hospital on Airport road is the most reliable of all the bunks in the vicinity. One of the source of the info was Maruti Driving School (my wife took driving lessons there).
fi.robin: Yes, Sir. I've patronised them for close to 20 years. The owner is a stickler for service and quality and I've never had reason to suspect the amount or grade of fuel dispensed by them.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:27   #1118
BHPian

Default She grows on you

It's been over a year since the Fabia entered our garage...and hearts. That's a milestone even if the miles themselves have been few and far between. In fact, given the kinds of distances clocked and places seen by other Fabiosi, I'm a tad shame-faced and delicate to even state that my car has done 6800Kms thus far.

I find she's settled down in so many ways or perhaps just that our relationship has entered a sort of comfort zone where each knows the other foibles and idiosyncracies and you just segue together through thick and thin and try not to step on the other's toes. Is this starting to sound like a marriage?. Of the latter ('thin'), I'm glad to report there hasn't been much - and fortunate for both of us too. With the cost of Skoda spares and the sheer fright of visiting the Doc, it's good vaastu if the need does not arise to put her legs in the stirrups and have her innards fiddled with: when it comes to professional ministering, I tend to the minimalism of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Dad doesn't drive anymore after his recent toss, so I'm the only one putting her to good use. Since I don't have a set of wheels of my own-either car or bike- it's fallen upon me to do the needfull of being transported as well as getting her seen to.

Upgrades?
There comes a time in a typical car ownership when the craving begins for change or customisation. I'm a bit contrarian here since the bug is yet to bite. The music system is a case in point: I've always known it to be a bit inadequate and stated from the very early days that I yearned for an amplifier to be attached along with a pair of rear speakers- at the least, this being an area close to my heart (near the third ventricle). And, it's something too that I would not have to break the Bank for, either. Yet, I've resisted the urge and promptings and not even gone out to explore what was on offer (a typical trait of yours truly is to suss out the market and kick the tyres long before I actually want to make a purchase- slowly absorbing the options available, price ballparks etc. Tis not that I'm excessively scientific in my approach but just that I kind of like to make an educated decision...I'm also extremely compulsive most times, so there you go, it's an oxymoron.)

Tyres
The next chore on the anvil- though still a couple of thousand kms away- is to rotate the tyres and bring the spare into play. I remember this friend of a friend who runs a wheel alignment shop on St John's Rd and that's where I shall go since many of Ye say the Skoda dealers are pathetique (pardon- Beets) and expensive at doing it.
I need inputs here: for example, is it necessary to have the wheels balanced again?

ps. the ad-man in me loves the Baseline: One revolution ahead! Brilliant.

A Rose by any other Name...
The insides smell pretty cute. I don't -or rarely- smoke my pipe inside while driving because it's a nuisance and requires a laid-back sort of concentration, but the net result is that the insides don't smell like some musty Pirate's den. The one attempt at jazzing up the ambient air with an aerosol device pumping off the A/C vent died an early death because it was simply intolerable, so Now we rely on the cheap and best Block of Camphor that continues to outshine anything else I've experienced. People who ride in my Fabia often comment that she still smells new, and I like that. Hate to have layered odours that are then hard to remove. Also, in order to keep dust and alien-to-the-nose flavours out of our cocoon, I usually drive with the world shut out and therefore with artificial climate control on full song. And doing its thing is what it does quite well, I'm happy to report. Sad to hear of a Fabiosi who's recently had his A/C turn up glitches. Hope it gets fixed soon and simply.

Since the first and only visit to the TAFE garage for her first service, I've noticed a faint odour of diesel around the engine bay. It was never there earlier. Makes me wonder if a joint has sprung a leak. Should I have it checked? There's no sign of spillage under the car- even- after parking overnight, so it's likely happening only under pressure with the engine running/pump on.

On advisement...

Till later, and hoping to hear your stories with a dozen pics,
Drive safe.

Last edited by netchef : 13th March 2009 at 09:31. Reason: spello
Old 13th March 2009, 16:43   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I can remember taking our Standard 10 to them in 1982 to have a new tyre fitted prior to an outstation trip with the family to Srirangapatna. The previous year, I took Dad's Rajdoot to them for a set of rubbers.
Sir, your memory is extraordinary, I have trouble finding my car key most mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef
yet I could not shrug off the feeling that faces/people/voices/memories I once knew were wiped off the slate. Bizarre. An unhappy thing- very sad, bereft. A feeling of loss, cold loss. Makes one realise how ephemeral and transient it all is.
What happened sir, extremely philosophical? as someone said, change is the only constant. Also is not that which makes life all the more thrilling, smile and move on - dont feel sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef
The music system is a case in point: I've always known it to be a bit inadequate
Very true, last month I spruced it up, added 2-Way Component Speaker System to the rear doors, JBL 12inch subwoofer and XPlod amplifier at the boot. The OEM player is quite capable and the output is quite nice. Only grouse being that they have not provided line outs for any of these(the circuit diagram has that but the Skoda guys have simply closed those slots) luckily the person who did this was talented, ingenious to be more precise and accomplished it well. Total cost about 15k.

Missing the eloquent write-ups from Robin, Mysticeyes et al - guys please ...
shykrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 18:00   #1120
Senior - BHPian

excellent write up netchef sir, i always look forward to reading your posts!
please post some photos of your fabia when possible!

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 01:38   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

COMPLETED 23000kms from June 20th 2008.

I completed 23000kms few days back. Drive so far had been trouble free with 2nd service a month and half back.
Until 2 weeks back where I started hearing some noises from the suspension when drove over sharp edges. Annoyed me till no extent and at times giving me sleepless nights. I knew something was wrong. 1st thing that came to mind was the bushes getting worn off. For dragging 2 weeks I gave the car to the dealer here, after having a good talk with the senior service advisor, have been pally with him since my 1st service, sharing the knowledge on the car technicalities, I insisted on having to check the front suspension personally while being opened up.

Another annoying noise was that coming from the dashboard and I knew what that noise was about from the left side of it, facing it since last 3 months it was now getting unbearable. I knew what it was, It's noise from the AC blower. Informed them about it, went on short spin with him, and insisted on checking the blower.

Apart from these 2 major problems another problem was facing was excessive smoke while accelerating and low pick up. I knew what was wrong but asked them what could be the reason behind. All I got to hear is "Sir, the air filter must have been choked and nothing else". And I knew that was not the only problem that could make so much of difference in it.

SOLUTION:
Suspension: After having a tech talk and opening up the job card it was time for them to put the car on the ramp and open up the suspension. 3 things where the problem could have been are Strut buffer, tire rod / ball joint and the lower arm bush. As they opened up, got to check each one of the part, dirtying my hands, everything seems fine. The strut buffer was in good shape, tire rod was fine, the lower arm bush was good. Accept the shock up had got little stiff along with the bearing getting dried and dusty and the lower arm bush had to be cleaned. Eventually they cleaned the bearing and sprayed some oil on to the gas shock up and cleaned the bushes sprayed some solution and it was all set to fit them back. All this took 2 1/2 hours to finish off, all done right in front of me and all my doubts were cleared regarding suspension being faulty.

Dashboard noise: Then was the time to open up the dashboard and check for the AC blower underneath it. This took quite sometime while after opening up they found that indeed it was the blower that was making the noise as it's plate/clamp supporting it was loose. All they had to do is to put in a new clamp along with some rubber bushes and a new blower was required and tighten it. While doing this the the AC gas had to be removed and it needed to put in again. All went fine and the AC worked perfectly cooling the car in few mins. I guessed it right a lot of people have been complaining about the noise coming from the left hand side which is nothing but the blower and it seems Skoda has rectified this problem in 2009 manufactured models as per the service advisor. All those facing the same problem must insist on getting the blower checked am sure the problem of noisy interior would be solved.

Smokey engine: I knew certain things about the diesel turbo, searched little over the net and knew exactly what would be wrong with it. My car was kinda running in a limp mode. What's a limp mode ? It's where the ECU/ECM senses some errors due to some parts or air leaks and makes the car run in a safe mode and not to it's full potential. First thing that came to my mind was that there could be some air leaks and which was checked and found to be perfect without any leak. Air leaks could happen anywhere at the joints of air intake tubing. 2nd thing that could possibly be was that the EGR valve could be choked with all the carbon deposit. This is quite common amongst the diesel car along with intake manifold getting choked. And I was right it was the EGR valve that was choked with carbon deposit and needed an instant cleaning. for this they have a spray/chemical to clean the EGR valve. It was cleaned completely which took quite some time. If the the EGR valve is choked there are chances of the intake manifold too to have some carbon deposit/ sooth in it. They took the intake pipe off near intake manifold to check the level of sooth. Upto 1/4 inch layer is suppose to be normal anything beyond that requries cleaning either by a chemically or by taking the intake manifold out and doing it manually. In my case it was not all that much but i still insisted on getting it cleaned and since it was not all that much they cleaned chemically. Manual cleaning that is taking out the intake manifold and cleaning it out chemical and high pressure air should be done every 50000kms. After the job, fitting the intake pipe they wanted to check the air filter and fuel filter / diesel filter. Since I have a green cotton replacement fitler that was out of the question to have been choked but yes the diesel filter had been choked and needed a replacement and the job was done. They also checked back for the errors on the VAG scanner and found none after which.

RESULTS: Well, significant improvement, the pick up was much much smoother felt less of turbo lag, car managed to go all the way to redline without loosing out the power, engine running much smoother, and the smoke has almost gone. I would insist everyone having the diesel car, to get this process done to ensure good pick up and mileage and your engine will stay healthy for longer run.
The car now rides much better, is silent just the way it did when it was new with both front and the back suspension cleaned up and solving the blower noise. Many would not agree that it would make any difference but I could feel the difference as soon as i took the car out. The sharp edges on which the suspension which would make the peculiar noise was gone, it rides much softer and smoother now. Also, I have nitrogen filled in the tyres which makes a little bit difference in the ride as well. Don't feel the small bumps on the road now.
The noise from the dashboard has gone comletely. As I was right the culprit was the blower which made excessive noise making me feel that the dashboard was fualty. And now the interior sounds much silent almost getting zero noise. Felt the same way driving the car as I did on the 1st day i took the delivery.
Average: Will check on this during coming week as to how much difference has it made. Last I got on the highway on the way to lonavala was 25kmpl and in city been getting around 16kmpl.

COST: All this done under warranty. I guess being pally with the senior advisor helped me a lot. I was billed for the labour charges from the advisor who was taking care of the job but after I had a word with the senior and insisted on not paying, I was billed only for the diesel filter.

Am sure a lot of people out there are having or have had bad experiences with the Skoda service, but I guess building a good rapo and having knowledge of technicalities does help in not getting fooled by them. Whatever it is if one has done his homework properly there is no way you ain't gonna get good result.
In the end completely satisfied with the job.

UPGRADES COMING UP SHORTLY: A new custom made intake with green cotton Storm filter, and a new head unit.

NETCHEF:
Good to know that your car still smells all new even after completing a year, with completing just 6800kms am sure it would still look all new and not just smell fresh. Few pics would be great.
Regarding the tyres, well they are Asymmetrical design so getting the rotation done will be a difficult job by removing the tyres from the wheels and interchanging them. All I did was shuffled the front wheel with the ones at the back.

P.S: here's the link to the website which has loads of info on VW diesel car and not just the limp mode. Would suggest everyone to take some time out and give a good read to it.
Fixing limp mode in the VW diesel TDI

1000 answered questions about your diesel - FAQ and how to index

Last edited by Invinsible : 14th March 2009 at 01:51.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 02:33   #1122
BHPian

Default Rewind

Love again
It is 6.15 AM on 25th November 2008, in the parking bay of my apartment, two sundered hearts reunite after almost a week, to resume weaving the love threads. The rich key fob sends out a radio signal and the beauty responds by unlocking her heart. The 300 litres boot gleefully swallows our luggage and asks for more and more. As we ensconced ourselves in our fully adjustable darling seats, the aroma of newness greets us. What a way for two hearts to unite, I think. A romantic playful twist breathes life into the beauty. The humming motor does the duty of rolling down the windows. The cool morning breeze being an earwitness to the clear melody of “The sound of silence”, the elegant info display on the Dance screen too vouching for it, the beauty blissfully responds to my advances like a lover. I depress the clutch and marshal the gear knob in the first slot, the beauty launches forward like a belle. Woila! we are on our journey to Goa. Within minutes we hit the wider and smoother roads of Bangalore. “The sound of silence” gives way to “Cecilia” …. “… Jubilation, she loves me again…”. How true !

The Journey
My wife and I had decided to enjoy the journey too instead of rushing to the destination. According to the plan we made booking in Taj from 26th onwards and halt on 25th at Hubli.

The Journey till Hubli was not much of a stress, except for incomplete patches between Chitradurga and Haveri. This was the first time I was driving on a well laid GC highway. My last adventure was in the rudimentary stage of GC in 2004 on Chennai-Bangalore stretch (it is a dream road now). Along the way we were greeted by pleasing sights of sunflower fields, cotton fields, wind mills, buffalos etc. All along we were being pampered by the beauty. In return I caressed her well on the rough patches but occasionally hitting the 120 mark on the smoother ones, she happily responded to all my moves with aplomb beauty.

We reached Hubli at 2.30 pm, had lunch and decided to move on as we had plenty of time before dark. At Hubli we exit the GC and hit NH 63 for Karwar. The road was mostly good with occasional potholes here and there. A large part of NH 63 is through the scenic jungle of the Western Ghats. It was a first for us.

We made a halt at Karwar to avoid night driving and the dirty truck traffic on NH 17. The good hotels were all occupied and we had to settle in a below average lodge for a paltry sum of Rs 500. It was in total contrast to what we were going to get the next day. We didn’t have much to complain though as the stay was peaceful. But my right knee was aching. I wish for Cruise Control as well in Fabia.

Next morning we started early, beating the sun comprehensively. The scary NH 17 of last night turned into beautiful winding road with absolutely no traffic.

On our return journey we stuck to the same route and made a halt at Hubli. This time we were fortunate to get a nice place.

Thus completing our first long and ever memorable trip.
Old 14th March 2009, 02:42   #1123
BHPian

Invisible: I am also facing the dashboard and some suspension noise. The dashboard problem is in the European models as well, and I have read people reporting the faulty blower as the culprit. Your report comes as a confirmation.

Can you elaborate on the type of suspension noise? In my car it feels like a partially filled bottled is making noise on being shaken up.

Now that your problem is solved, I can take the SA to task. The gentleman has been bluffing around.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:01   #1124
BHPian

hey guys even i am a Fabiosis since the 12th December 2008. i have been reading through this thread since i had decided on buying the car.
my car is a 1.9Tdi Elegance (white color).
i've been facing this dashboard noise since the day of my delivery itself. any how the car was dropped at the service centre yesterday and got it back today after fixing up the issue.
FARDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 20:14   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARDAN View Post
hey guys even i am a Fabiosis since the 12th December 2008. i have been reading through this thread since i had decided on buying the car.
my car is a 1.9Tdi Elegance (white color).
i've been facing this dashboard noise since the day of my delivery itself. any how the car was dropped at the service centre yesterday and got it back today after fixing up the issue.
It's great to have you here, Welcome aboard on behalf of Netchef and other Fabiosis. I suppose you meant it's a 1.4TDI elegance. 1.9 is not launched yet.

I suppose there are lots here facing the problem coming from the dashboard which is nothing but the AC blower making the noise due to faulty clamps, fitment. Good to know that your problem has been solved. It will nice if you can share some details of your baby, as to how many KMS its done, your experience, mileage, and others.

Quote:
ROBIN: Can you elaborate on the type of suspension noise? In my car it feels like a partially filled bottled is making noise on being shaken up.
I suppose you may be misjudging that noise coming from the dashboard to the suspension noise.
In my case everytime I drove over the cement roads with uneven surface I would get something like a metal noise, as if the bushes had worn off. Sounded more like the ball joint noise. It was more like my suspension was banging on rough edges and not cushioning them, felt it had become stiff. Was not at all pleasant. What helped it was reoiling the Struts as they had got little stiffer, cleaning of bushes and lubricating the area a little. Now the car runs perfectly fine with those rough edges not felt at all. It rides the way it did on first day.
I suggest you insist on your dealer to open with struts and check the buffer in it, check the ball joint and the lower arm bushes. tell them you would like to check it personally so that you are satisified and you get the peace of mind.
I had complained about this noise during my 1st service also but they din't pay attention and the noise got aggravated.

Dashboard noise has completely gone. Not a single noise at all irrespective of the road I take on. Just Silent. It was indeed the blower made me feel driving a car with broken dash. And Now just silent, makes me enjoy the music like i never did before.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote