Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th March 2009, 10:37   #1231
BHPian

Wink Fabias Inspiring the Hidden Writing Talents of Fabiosis????

Great writeup on the meeting guys, keep it up. I've been wondering if there's any correlation between fabia driving and the oratory/ writing skills. fabiosis seems to be going "wordswotheque" of "robert frsoteque" nowadays. May be this year or next year, fabiosis can plan to trip down to Kerala during monsoon season (usually from mid of May to September) to exotic spots such as Munnar or Kumarakom, which would inspire more words.

Netchef, its true that only 3 Fabia owners in TVM are in TBHP forum. May be we should dangle some carrots (or exotic fishes???) for other fabia owners to join the forum. I'm trying to rope in one owner to join the forum. As Netchef says, I gotta beg, cajole and threaten.

Ahhh..the feeling that rushes through when we see another fabia sailing by - Well, this is the same question that I've been planning to ask the forum of late. As Netchef, said, it's that "special feeling" of being counted inside the sanctum sanctorum. Our beauties may not be Audis or Beemers or Mercs in their stature, but as everyone admits, fabia has created a special niche and we definitely "belong there". "There" - rings like the dark narrow alleys in Sicily or the erstwhile AL Capone era NY, ain't it?

As for fabias lined up, it evokes the memory of meeting of Al Capone, Sam Giancano, Jack "Machine Gun" McGurn, "Bugs" Moran, "Greasy Thumb" Gusik, Frank Nitti and Carlo Gambino. hehe..might sound sinister, but 'fabiosi' and 'mafiosi' might have something in common. May be its the pleasure of having maximum bangs for few rounds.

Glad to note that fabiosis are going green too. We can atleast do soemthing to preserve mother earth by planting. Personally, I love being amidst greenery than being trapped in concrete jungles.

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 24th March 2009 at 10:39.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:19   #1232
BHPian

Default the Bard, Butter and KP

[quote=Mysticeyes;1227666]Great writeup on the meeting guys, keep it up. I've been wondering if there's any correlation between fabia driving and the oratory/ writing skills.

quote]

Mysticeyes: Seems you're right, Sir. The Famous Fabiosi of various Lodges seems inclined the Shakespeare Sarani way. Well caught. They're also -IMO- given to not insubstantial Lord Snowdonesque proclivities with their gift AND talent for capturing the moment in crisp pixels. Our photo-scribes have done us proud, making their lovely machines mouth-wateringly appealing draped seductively in such verdant states as God's own, as well as On-The-Rocks in what seemed like a Grand Canyon starter kit.

BTW you seem to know your Mafia. Ever read Damon Runyon? Lively stories, tongue-in-cheek.

I speak for myself: a trip to Kerala would be fantastic. I like the setting, love the food and certain liquids to wash it down.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:03   #1233
BHPian

[quote=netchef;1228133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Great writeup on the meeting guys, keep it up. I've been wondering if there's any correlation between fabia driving and the oratory/ writing skills.

quote]

Mysticeyes: Seems you're right, Sir. The Famous Fabiosi of various Lodges seems inclined the Shakespeare Sarani way. Well caught. They're also -IMO- given to not insubstantial Lord Snowdonesque proclivities with their gift AND talent for capturing the moment in crisp pixels. Our photo-scribes have done us proud, making their lovely machines mouth-wateringly appealing draped seductively in such verdant states as God's own, as well as On-The-Rocks in what seemed like a Grand Canyon starter kit.

BTW you seem to know your Mafia. Ever read Damon Runyon? Lively stories, tongue-in-cheek.

I speak for myself: a trip to Kerala would be fantastic. I like the setting, love the food and certain liquids to wash it down.
This might be bit off-topic, so mods please excuse me.

fictions are bit off limits for me, except for few such as God Father,then something about Mr. Bond, Harold Robbins, Sidney Sheldon and few other selected books (used to be avid novel reader till 12th Standard). But if you ask me if I read non-fictions, the answer is a big yessssss!!!! Between me and my dad, we got a not so small library at home consisting of books ranging from natgeos to books on various topics (including the much fabled gangsters, wild west, travel) to comics (I'm a great fan of Sylvester Cat,grrrr...i don't like tweety bird) rite from 1960s when dad started collecting books and oflate, if you look at my expense sheet, "books" form a major head of outflow,with lots of stares from my wifey

As for the Kerala trip, we can seriously plan for one when all guys can have a common time. what say guys?
Old 24th March 2009, 16:42   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Alarming!! Please Read

Fabiosi folks,

Above all else, please take time to read this thread.. Very carefully, please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html

Can't think of much, but hang head in shame for buying a vehicle from such an unscrupulous manufacturer... and also fear for owning a vehicle of their make...

Did we all make a mistake? I can understand when a dealer turns faulty, but when the manufacturer turns a deaf ear themselves?? What happens?
I'm now afraid and pray nothing happens to my Fabia... I'm going to be very very cautious, henceforth... And also pray more often!!

Please take time to read, all Skoda vehicle owners and non-owners too... This is more important than anything else, right now...

Cheers folks.. Be wary!!

aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 17:31   #1235
BHPian

@k_ajay
Sorry i am not going to bash Skoda, but if you remember i was considering a Fabia. After reading all these threads plus 3-4 certified horror stories from my friends regarding problems faced either with the dealer or the car itself compounded by the cost of spares listed in ACI this month (Skoda being the highest even the next segment), i put off my plans of going for a Skoda and have booked an i10 A/T. I have paid on-road Rs. 4,57,000/- all inclusive for the Magna 1.2AT 80bhp (Std features include a/c, p/s, power windows, central locking & tilt steering). The overall cost of spares and cost of ownership plus convenience of the A/T for my parents compelled me to forget dreaming about this Super Hatch unless they improve their attitude and reduce the cost of spares, maintenance & service. Sorry if i went .
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 17:51   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Post Wise one

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@k_ajay
Sorry i am not going to bash Skoda, but if you remember i was considering a Fabia. After reading all these threads plus 3-4 certified horror stories from my friends regarding problems faced either with the dealer or the car itself compounded by the cost of spares listed in ACI this month (Skoda being the highest even the next segment), i put off my plans of going for a Skoda and have booked an i10 A/T. I have paid on-road Rs. 4,57,000/- all inclusive for the Magna 1.2AT 80bhp (Std features include a/c, p/s, power windows, central locking & tilt steering). The overall cost of spares and cost of ownership plus convenience of the A/T for my parents compelled me to forget dreaming about this Super Hatch unless they improve their attitude and reduce the cost of spares, maintenance & service. Sorry if i went .
Won't blame you for your decision, Anil.. Though it is kind of in-between for myself to comment on your decision being a wise one or not, for the moment, I would dare to say, it looks like it is a good decision.

I sincerely hope Skoda changes its 'uber-class' german attitude, and start treating all customers with respect and business ethics, here in India..

Funny, since Skoda is considered a cheap brand in Europe. And their high handed behaviour here is ironic, at the least. I honestly feel for Harish, from the other thread I posted earlier. I cannot imagine myself in that position.
Old 24th March 2009, 18:06   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
..I sincerely hope Skoda changes its 'uber-class' german attitude, and start treating all customers with respect and business ethics, here in India.
Hi Ajay:

I had been for a brief while in Harish's position when I booked an Octavia Combi, but found that they gave me a 13 month old and damaged car with registration forged so I would be forced to take it...and they were truly arrogant - I never faced anything like it in India before; and that was really harrowing!

Skoda cars are awesome _ I really love the Combi, I think Fabia's design is truly ageless; but I shudder at the thought of buying the car and going to the dealer for any problem - really unfortunate.

My only hope is that VW would be better in this area; so I can enjoy a German piece of engineering without the hassles!

Sorry folks if it's

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 18:14   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely hope Skoda changes its 'uber-class' german attitude, and start treating all customers with respect and business ethics, here in India.
Exactly Ajay, and my sister who is in the US has never heard of the brand Skoda. See i am not against the car, i truly like their cars. Only for their snooty attitude, behaviour, service & high ownership/maintenance costs, they are losing out on a lot of repeat/prospective buyers. They should remember that they are selling us Czech "Skoda's" and not German "Audi's" else re-brand them. Atleast we will 'feel special' that we own an Audi, lol.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 24th March 2009 at 18:31.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 18:56   #1239
BHPian

Anil/Ajay/Diffsoft:
I don't find any fault with the brand Skoda. But I think their Indian arm is playing the spoil sport. Anil, actually Skoda is a 104 years old car brand but got the fame only after VW took over it. VW positioned the brand Skoda as - "Quality cars at affordable price"(in Europe). Though its a Czech brand its full of German engineering.

The reason the Skoda is treated a premium brand in India is because of a simple fact. The Indian Skoda's standards are in par with their European siblings (few features +/-). So an ordinary car brand in Europe is a premium brand in India just because of its European standards. But other players produce the car specifically for India with cost in mind. IMHO, Swift is one such car.

Hope Skoda's A.S.S will improve soon. Otherwise the whole VW group will suffer because of it. :(

Last edited by MadRash : 24th March 2009 at 19:01.
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 20:25   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Post Sad Skoda. Very Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Hi Ajay:

I had been for a brief while in Harish's position when I booked an Octavia Combi, but found that they gave me a 13 month old and damaged car with registration forged so I would be forced to take it...and they were truly arrogant - I never faced anything like it in India before; and that was really harrowing!

Skoda cars are awesome _ I really love the Combi, I think Fabia's design is truly ageless; but I shudder at the thought of buying the car and going to the dealer for any problem - really unfortunate.

My only hope is that VW would be better in this area; so I can enjoy a German piece of engineering without the hassles!

Sorry folks if it's

Cheers,
Diffsoft: Nothing you wrote on is off-topic.. This thread is very much about Skoda Fabia, but about Skoda too, and all round experience, rather than just positive experiences. I'm sure other Fabiosi and Netchef also share my belief on the existence of this thread..

What Skoda did to you is not unfortunate but outright injustice.. How can a car manufacturer claiming to be 'Obsessed with Quality' give a new customer a 13 months old and "damaged" car?? Freaking hell, that.. Any customer's blood will boil, on knowing that.

I understand dealerships having Indian staff are mostly the reasons behind all consumer issues, problems and headaches, but how can the manufacturer not repimand them immediately and get to ensure their consumers are always treated righteously and with respect.

Quote:
Don't place your bets on VW. Not just yet.. You never know.

Quote:
Exactly Ajay, and my sister who is in the US has never heard of the brand Skoda. See i am not against the car, i truly like their cars. Only for their snooty attitude, behaviour, service & high ownership/maintenance costs, they are losing out on a lot of repeat/prospective buyers. They should remember that they are selling us "Skoda's" and not "Audi".
Very true, Anil. However, these internationally established car makers feel that can get the Indian customers on a ride and treat them with step-motherly treatment.. Would they dare to try this in their home markets/developed markets??

What is shameful is that indian manufacturers [in most cases] treat customers much better and infact, with high regard and respect.

But what to people shelling over several lakhs of rupees for engineering finesse, here in India, get??
Old 24th March 2009, 21:31   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly Ajay, and my sister who is in the US has never heard of the brand Skoda. See i am not against the car, i truly like their cars.
The reason why Skoda is not known in US is because it not sold there. Just like Saab is not sold in India and so very few people know about it. But that does mean Saab cars are not good.

It is true that Skoda is notoriously high in list for these matters, but many dealers of other manufacturers also indulge in these malpractices. I have heard about a few Maruti dealers and Honda dealers too (I am not taking Skoda's side).

The best we can do is to be prepared and ready to fight. It can happen to anyone whether a Skoda owner or a Honda owner or any other.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 09:16   #1242
VKJ
BHPian

I too share the same concern and opinion as fi.robin here. It's better we owners be aware and be prepared for such incidents in future. I greatly appreciate harishv for his efforts in fighting and bringing in such trivial and nerve breaking incident on tbhp.

To harishv on behalf of T-BHP -> Bravo!!! you deserve all the applauds, appreciations and the moral support from this forum.
VKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:07   #1243
BHPian

I just went through the "horror post", and its very scary. Some guys still see customers as 3rd world citizens. Hope that nothing would go off-track on our cars. Kudos to Harish to standing up and fighting. I've gone through a similar yet less intense fight in getting the color of my choice, but won at the end You got to be barking up their back to get things done.

This is not limited to Skoda alone and even Honda and Hyundai had done the same to a Civic and Santro customer in our town. The thread is somewhere in TBHP.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:52   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Post Steer with Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
The best we can do is to be prepared and ready to fight. It can happen to anyone whether a Skoda owner or a Honda owner or any other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJ View Post
I too share the same concern and opinion as fi.robin here. It's better we owners be aware and be prepared for such incidents in future.
How very true Robin and Vijay.. Harish's incident can only prepare us to be more wary with the dealers and be careful with our steeds, more than ever. We may pass our lives without ever facing such a situation with Skoda, but why take the chance??

Quote:
I just went through the "horror post", and its very scary. Some guys still see customers as 3rd world citizens. Hope that nothing would go off-track on our cars.
We got to have a strong hope. A very strong one. But let this issue and topic not drift us away from having a good time with our Fabias. Let us treat it well, and we should see through with little or no problems, at all.

Quote:
This is not limited to Skoda alone and even Honda and Hyundai had done the same to a Civic and Santro customer in our town. The thread is somewhere in TBHP.
Yes, absolutely. Remember, it's strictly BUSINESS. They'd do anything, for their profits [as we have all read on several such threads].

Last edited by k_ajay : 25th March 2009 at 13:54.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:25   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Fabiosi folks,

Above all else, please take time to read this thread.. Very carefully, please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html

aK
k_ajay:Thanks for bringing it to our notice, Sir. I visited his story and was simply blown away by the sheer temerity. We need to support him best we can.

Quote:
anilkalvani: Perfectly valid, Sir

Quote:

Cheers,
diffsoft: Not at all off topic, Sir, as someone else down the thread has pointed out. The rationale of buying/enjoying and all the entailing stories are equal to that of not buying into the Brand. Both are welcome here- else we'd be living in a fool's paradise.

The fact is it's not all rose tinted and the sooner we wake to that, the better off we'll all be.

[quote=MadRash;1228756]

quote]

MadRash:
Hope Skoda's A.S.S will improve soon. Otherwise the whole VW group will suffer because of it. :(

Very true!
Quote:
Very true, Anil. However, these internationally established car makers feel that can get the Indian customers on a ride and treat them with step-motherly treatment.. Would they dare to try this in their home markets/developed markets??

But what to people shelling over several lakhs of rupees for engineering finesse, here in India, get??
k_ajay: Diffsoft: Nothing you wrote on is off-topic.. This thread is very much about Skoda Fabia, but about Skoda too, and all round experience, rather than just positive experiences. I'm sure other Fabiosi and Netchef also share my belief on the existence of this thread..

Sure, I agree.

However, we must get this into some perspective: IMO it's not the 'manufacturer' that's taking customers for a ride, but their ill-advised choice of Dealers. Fact remains that the impact of deficient service/and or fraud by a dealer creates an equivalent impact because for all intents and purposes, we see them as the face of Skoda (it's already happening on Team-BHP: we're bashing Skoda).

[quote=fi.robin;1228961]

quote]

fi.robin: The reason why Skoda is not known in US is because it not sold there. Just like Saab is not sold in India and so very few people know about it. But that does mean Saab cars are not good.

It is true that Skoda is notoriously high in list for these matters, but many dealers of other manufacturers also indulge in these malpractices. I have heard about a few Maruti dealers and Honda dealers too (I am not taking Skoda's side).

The best we can do is to be prepared and ready to fight. It can happen to anyone whether a Skoda owner or a Honda owner or any other.[/

Well put and fully accurate.

Our ire and disgust aught to be well targetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJ View Post
I
To harishv on behalf of T-BHP -> Bravo!!! you deserve all the applauds, appreciations and the moral support from this forum.

VKJ: Sir, I know I would not like to be in harishv's shoes!

Quote:
Kudos to Harish to standing up and fighting.
Mysticeyes/Fabiosi: Let's spread the message. This has to become a case study and Dealers across India must be made aware that we- the customers- are not going to take things lying down. There will be repercussions and we will actively drive them.

I think Harishv should escalate this to the very top and not pull ANY punches or be demure in any manner. It's our duty to support him and also ensure he gets maximum traction in fighting his case. Remember, next time it could easily be one of us. Right now, if he wins, we all win in a way.

Our ownership has been rosy so far. Go thru our thread and it's all poetry and accolades and good times. I for one am glad this 'dark' side has surfaced as it gives us a reality check.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote