Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th May 2009, 12:21   #1471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
The Estate version of Fabia. Is in the list for India launch.

fi.robin: Oh, in that case I rescind my confirmation. Since I only had a rear view of the car, it could well have been either.

Combi: a funny animal IMHO. Won't make it to my cover of Auto-Vogue!
Have they confirmed they're bringing it here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
elder brother. seems 'superbiosi' has landed from Sicily
Mysticeyes: Rakesh, YES YES. Forgot completely.

[quote=fi.robin;1290556]Last Friday afternoon my AC quote]

fi.robin: behaving like MS Windows.

He he.

Nothing as non-charming and disorienting- let me assure you - as a motorcycle that runs backwards! Pop it into first and lean into the wind ready to dive onto mainstreet and it instead takes you unceremoniously into the dust bin lodged behind yer!

netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 20:38   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Last Friday afternoon my AC behaved like a random idiot. All of a sudden it started blowing warm air. Then 5 secs later it became normal. This Monday when I fired the engine there was an unusual vibration. It rgained normalcy after a restart. Wierd . It is behaving like MS Windows.
Today again it started with an unusual vibration. This time I revved the motor instead of restarting, after which it became normal. Is it a case of fuel adulteration/choked fuel pipe or something?

@netchef: Pop it into first and lean into the wind ready to dive onto mainstreet and it instead takes you unceremoniously into the dust bin lodged behind yer! Can't stop laughing . Have you experienced it?
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 09:09   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Today again it started with an unusual vibration. This time I revved the motor instead of restarting, after which it became normal. Is it a case of fuel adulteration/choked fuel pipe or something?

@netchef: Pop it into first and lean into the wind ready to dive onto mainstreet and it instead takes you unceremoniously into the dust bin lodged behind yer! Can't stop laughing . Have you experienced it?
fi.robin: bit of an exaggeration (poetic licence), but close enough. Twas my Dad's Rajdoot, 29 years back!
Old 7th May 2009, 10:37   #1474
BHPian

I have taken an appointment from Vinayaka cars for this Saturday. Following is the problem list that I want them to have a look at.
  1. Unusual vibration noticed when the engine is fired (has happened twice in last 3-4 days).
  2. Squeaky noise when steering is rotated hard, happens at low or zero vehicle speed.
  3. The famous A/C blower/ dashboard rattle problem. The Service Advisor has acknowledged this problem. He will look into it although the blower is out of stock. He did not ask for any birth certificate
The SA says they may take two days to get to the root of the problem. Ofcourse I have insisted on one day only. Will report how these guys operate. Have read in TBHP at many places that they are better than Tafe. Let's see.

Last edited by fi.robin : 7th May 2009 at 10:47. Reason: added a line
Old 7th May 2009, 11:06   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
I have taken an appointment from Vinayaka cars for this Saturday. Following is the problem list that I want them to have a look at.
  1. Unusual vibration noticed when the engine is fired (has happened twice in last 3-4 days).
  2. Squeaky noise when steering is rotated hard, happens at low or zero vehicle speed.
  3. The famous A/C blower/ dashboard rattle problem. The Service Advisor has acknowledged this problem. He will look into it although the blower is out of stock. He did not ask for any birth certificate
The SA says they may take two days to get to the root of the problem. Ofcourse I have insisted on one day only. Will report how these guys operate. Have read in TBHP at many places that they are better than Tafe. Let's see.
usually there is certain amount of vibration when you fire up the engine. how is it in your case?does the vibration go on for a long period?

I'm planning to take my car to the service center tomorrow. yesterday evening, I noticed that the rear right window would not roll back up if operated from the driver side. it does roll down properly while operated from front. however, if operated from the rear right controls, the window works normally.

Eurekaaa..eurekkaaa..I did manage to fish out the invoices and delivery notes with date to prove my baby's 'birth date'
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 11:39   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
usually there is certain amount of vibration when you fire up the engine. how is it in your case?does the vibration go on for a long period?

Eurekaaa..eurekkaaa..I did manage to fish out the invoices and delivery notes with date to prove my baby's 'birth date'
Exactly, the vibration on those two occassions stayed for long (it was the same vibration that comes at the start of the rotation of the ignition key before the engine settles at idle, I my case it stayed even after I removed the force form the key). On one occassion revving up the engine worked. On another I simply restarted. It gave a feeling like the start-up motor didn't do a good job, or there was not sufficient fuel supply and so the engine struggled.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:21   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well guys, let me share my experience as far my knowledge goes, I too faced the same sort of vibration as soon as I would start the engine. Basically it is the engine which shudders during the cold start. I did some research on this on various skoda and VW forums on the net. And here's what I learnt of this all happens due to either the EGR valve or the temp sensor. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve it takes some amount exhaust gas and pumps it through the intake manifold in order to warm up the car earlier.
Here is a detail info on the EGR valve.
TDI EGR system FAQ

As, I said there could be 2 things, one either the EGR valve is sought of choked or the temp sensor is faulty. During the service ask the advisor to check both. They would insist that it should be fine. But if you do tell them you are seeing a drop in pick up also, they would check and if required get in cleaned. Insist on getting it cleaned. Now in my case I complained them of both the low pick up and engine shudder as per my doubts they checked the EGR valve and temp sensor. The EGR valve was choked so they cleaned and they put a relay on radiator fan, where it functions in two speed mode and my 2nd speed mode was not working. After the cleaning of the EGR valve there was immediate difference in pick up and mileage both had gone up again atleast by about 10-15% or so. Now during the billing I was charged around Rs.1000 labour for EGR valve cleaning but spoke to the Manager and told him this should be covered under warranty as per my complain and finally it was put under the warranty. Now, I don't know whether it was coz I insisted or coz I knew the manager.
But, it worked great for me. EGR valve is something i would recommend to get it cleaned every alternate service and intake manifold cleaning to be done after every 2 service.

Another option is to try out could be revving your engine while driving to its limit for a little while. But, be sure to do this on clear open stretch. This way the engine would try and burn out as much carbon it can and the force of air coming from the high revving turbo might push some the carbon into the engine to get it burn out. Also, one can have the pleasure of enjoying the power to max throttle This might work. But if the EGR valve is clogged to much you would still face the engine shudder, in that case better to get it cleaned.

Squeaky noise while low turn: Well this could be due to ball joint or tire rod problem. Most of the time once its cleaned and lubricated the noise disappears but if it's still there then there could have been some damage to it.

AC blower noise is only due faulty blower mounting. Either they replace the mounting or change the whole blower as it comes with it's mounting set. As just the mounting is not available. It may take one day to a day and half. Just to open the blower it takes 3-4 hours as the dashboard need to be opened partially. My suggestion would be to leave the car for 2 days and let them do their job peaceful then to tell them to rush up. Am sure you wouldn't want them to mess up with it or other things when they are short of time and when they have to deliver it in a day. Best give them time and tell them you want a good job irrespective of time. Now regarding the fear of parts getting stolen. in that case take a day off, go there early in morning and spend the entire day. And tell them you need the car today itself.
See what works out best for you.

Do let us know how it went.

FABIA COMBI@ It does look good, looks more like a large hatchback than a estate version. Definitely one to look out for. Am just waiting for the launch of fabia 1.9 tdi or either this now. Imagine a stage 2 remap on these babies putting 170bhp and 350+nm of torque.

P.S: It's one of those rear time that we rarely get to see a thread that is going on activ since the time a car has been launched in this case ofcourse it's our fabia. The thread feels more like a fabia Park, where one fabia or fabiosi shares its experiences with another fabia or fabiosi. It coz of our this beautiful well mannered priced possession that we have come to know eachother. And finally it's time we gear up to celebrate a century, that's right we are closing on 100 pages of our fabi which brings a smile to our face everytime we hold her in our hands. I wish to see it reach to a 1000 mark and not just 100.
CHEERS!

Last edited by Invinsible : 7th May 2009 at 13:29.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 14:20   #1478
BHPian

@Invinsible: Excellent inputs, as always. Actually shudder is the right word to describe the vibration. I'll focus on getting the first two problems solved and leave the AC blower part for some time later. Anyway they don't have the blower in stock.

VKJ is back in the market from Ooty. He faced some problem with his car on the trip. Black smoke = car stalling etc. He may join me this Saturday. I again fear the choked EGR . Will see how the diagnosis goes.

Regarding labor cost, I'll haggle for it to be covered under warranty.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:16   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Invinsible: Excellent inputs, as always. Actually shudder is the right word to describe the vibration. I'll focus on getting the first two problems solved and leave the AC blower part for some time later. Anyway they don't have the blower in stock.

VKJ is back in the market from Ooty. He faced some problem with his car on the trip. Black smoke = car stalling etc. He may join me this Saturday. I again fear the choked EGR . Will see how the diagnosis goes.

Regarding labor cost, I'll haggle for it to be covered under warranty.
Black smoke is basically unburnt fuel. A lot of black smoke mean air ailter and egr valve choked, it could also be the the diesel filter. Either get the air cleaned and if it too clogged best would be to replace it. But I guess compressed air cleaning should be good. I use to clean my air filter every 3000kms. After which I got the K&N replacement filter which would again require cleaning every 3000 kms. Now I am having a complete new air intake system with green storm filter and it gets clogged faster which means it's doing a good job of filtration. As I switched to green filter black smoke was almost eliminated. Until the filter started clogging again after 1500kms drive on it, and noticed the black smoke coming out again when going full throttle. I cleaned my filter to find out that it only solved my problem partially. I took my car to Skoda, asked them to check it on the diagnostic/examiner. While they checked I saw the parameters myself and it showed all normal, showing no problem in the end (The examiner really doesn't show the error if the EGR is clogged or if the air filter is. Best is inspect it by checking it manually). My problem well black smoke even after cleaning the filter, cleaning the EGR valve 5000kms back, drop in pick up.
I suspected one problem that is the MAF SENSOR. Yes MAF ( Mass air flow) sensor is located just after the filter box. I knew the problem could be with the MAF sensor where it might have caught up with some fine dust. I spoke to the manager at the service, and he stayed adamant on one thing, MAF sensor can never result in drop in pick up and mileage.
What is MAF sensor? Well it detects the amount / percentage of air coming in feeds back the info to the ECU which in turn directs the amount of fuel to be pumped in. More air means less fuel being pumped in, it also mean better oxygen which is require to burn the fuel. Now when the filter is choked the amount of air coming in is less than required to burn the amount of fuel being pumped at particular RPM thus to generate the power with less air coming the ECU puts in more fuel in thus leading air/fuel ratio too rich. Which in turn you get a lot of black smoke coming out. This also can happen due to the outside air temp is hot, which means less of oxygen molecule, in a way adding to the problem of choked filter.

Black smoke can also generates when the filter and EGR valve is clean and the culprit is the MAF sensor. Which happened in my case recently.
MAF sensor problem is not known to any service outlet here. I was surprised they are not even aware about problem connected with contaminated MAF sensor. Anyways I cleaned the MAF sensor and pick has improved. Cleaning was done with the help of Head cleaning spray available for cleaning the head of audio equipments, or printer heads. Mainly coz it has alcohol which is the best and safe agent for cleaning it. But i suppose will have to try and clean the MAF again, may be this sunday to get the power back in original shape.

In case of VKJ: Advise to check the air filter, EGR valve and diesel filter. How many Kms has he done ? Don't think MAF sensor could be the issue as he is still running on stock paper air filter. Try getting these 3 things checked. Hopefully it should solve the problem. If it doesn't there could be a possibility of MAF sensor catching dust. Anyways don't talk to the service guys about the MAF right now get these things checked and then see if there is difference, if not may be then you can insist on the MAF sensor. Also, get the silence / exhaust muffler flushed though it doesn't help much but still will make little difference.
Am sure this should solve all the problem connected with black smoke, low mileage, low pick up. Once all this is done you will notice that the pick up is much smoother, overall car runs smoother, mileage improves to great extent.

Let me know how she drives after this.

All the best

Last edited by Invinsible : 7th May 2009 at 15:21.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 19:40   #1480

Quote:
.They did a decent job, except that they could not figure out the source of the dashboard flapping noise. It does not even bother me now .
Have to admit i could be a few weeks late with this reply but in case....

Saw a couple of posts about the strange noise from around the glove box / dashboard. Had the same problem with my fabia. Couldnt get it fixed during the first service. Couldnt get used to it - was driving me up the wall. So during the second service I told them about it again. The folks at Vinayaka did a lot of messing around and finally figured out that the culprit was the blower (bearings). they said they wanted a day and a half to do it since they have to remove the whole dash. i needed the car so i thought 'd give it back in a few weeks. but then two days later my central locking system went nuts and started locking and unlocking by itself so i had to bring it back in and they fixed both the central lock (actually the control unit that sits inside the dash) and the bearings. didnt have the car for a couple of days but when i got it back everything was fixed.
maybe you guys have the same problem (the noise from the blower unit - which doesnt affect the a/c performance at all) - worth having a look.

so far in 13 months i have done close to 23k - including a 3 long drives most recent to goa and back. have to admit its been a great ride so far.

hope this helps
drive safe
/nk
nk1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 19:40   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Black smoke is basically unburnt fuel. ...
Excellent enlightment, again. Cleaning the MAF thing looks like a do-it-yourself kind. Can you give us a pictorial tute so that if need be one can have a go at it.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:06   #1482
BHPian

Default 100 pages (of Non-solitude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post

drive safe
/nk
nk1969: Good to have your inputs. Thanks.

VKJ: sorry to hear you had problems on your drive to Ooty. Have you spoken with the authorities yet to get to the bottom of this? Need any helP- do let us know.

We're nearing 100 pages (of Non-solitude) and it's been a great haul. Thanks guys for your unstinting support -ideas and info- to members in need. I appreciate it as I'm dead certain do the other Fabiosi.
Making the ownership a pleasureable and memorable one is the name of the game and you guys have done a fab job.

The Fabiosi have become in many ways synonymous with great adventure, terrific photography, advanced petrolhead and dieseldude syndrome ...and chiefly many charming personalities. We've also inadvertently become quasi-ambassadors for the car, the brand, and made them look real good. It reflects on all of us in a way, so much so that we're bathed in a halogen-Iodide-limelight.

Vini vidi vici.

RG
Old 7th May 2009, 20:38   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post

Saw a couple of posts about the strange noise from around the glove box / dashboard. Had the same problem with my fabia. Couldnt get it fixed during the first service. Couldnt get used to it - was driving me up the wall. So during the second service I told them about it again. The folks at Vinayaka did a lot of messing around and finally figured out that the culprit was the blower (bearings). they said they wanted a day and a half to do it since they have to remove the whole dash. i needed the car so i thought 'd give it back in a few weeks. but then two days later my central locking system went nuts and started locking and unlocking by itself so i had to bring it back in and they fixed both the central lock (actually the control unit that sits inside the dash) and the bearings. didnt have the car for a couple of days but when i got it back everything was fixed.
Welcome to the thread. Good to hear that your problem has been taken care of. It will be great to have you visit here regularly. Just in case you missed the earlier posts, the Bangy-Fabia group meet may come up soon sometime.

Although I bought the car from Tafe, they just seem to fool around. Vinayaka guys atleast know the problem and have sucessfully fixed it in some cars.
Old 7th May 2009, 22:05   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
naikpranav: hello Sir. Twas just yesterday that I was wondering about your long absence from our story. Thanks, lovely pics as usual. You're one of the most regular-as-a-Japanese-train chaps with the camera and metier for the aesthetic. Great to have you on board as you bring a whole lot of colour (and adventure) to the Fabiosi.

Suspension: those chaps sound cuckoo...
21K kms in 1 year is astounding in my book.
Thank you ! this thread definitely moves faster than me, by the time i could get back to looking at it, my pictures are buried 2 pages under !
I have now done 22000km and i urgently need some solutions for service. helpp !

Quote:
shykrish & family was blessed with a baby boy at 9.30pm.

@pranav-stunning pics. I think its the best photo shootout any fabia ever had
Congratulations skykrish !
thank you ! I wouldn't mind doing a multi-car lineup sometime either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Great Pics there Pranav as always. Your truly gifted with the sense of photography, what cam do you use? Great color saturation.
but I yet give me car at Autobahn. Autograph is worst of all,
Incase, you do face any issues do let me know and am sure the Manager, Arvind, will be happy to sort out. His one person I have come across in a long time at any service outlet, who is ready to sought out issues without delaying and is open to ideas.
Thanks, I use a Nikon D70s with an 18-70G DX and 70-300ED lens, various filters, but ive never used the polariser on the car as it gets rid of the reflections.

I will speak to arvind at Autobahn, is he the tall guy with a beard ? he's been solving most of my issues with good abusive language fired at the misfits there.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 00:59   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post

Just to give an idea of how much the spares costs:
Total bill came for a whopping 75K and I paid around 15K as my share.

Following were the prices of few parts.

Whindshield - 9000
Head light - 7000
Bumper - 9000
ORVM housing
& mirror - 4500
Left fender - 5500

All are approx prices as the invoice listed the gross & VAT seperately.

@MadRash
This is also what I am worried about! The car is new and has not depreciated - So, the insurance paid 60K of the 75K bill. If it happened 2-3 years later, the company would pay only about 30-50% of the damage, and it only gets worse later. With spare parts price so high, I am really scared to go near Skoda. (This is apart from other threads going around on Skoda (GTO's and Harish's)

Needless to say, I am a big fan of Skoda's build and its cars. But, I am not sure if it is worth the risk to take the plunge.

Anyway, it feels like a great car, and I wish you and the other fabiosis great times with the car! (Be extra careful, and paste the cost of spare parts somewhere inside the car where you can see )
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote