Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd March 2008, 11:59   #1

Default Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk Vlx A test drive review

Hey all,

Over the past week or so I have been contemplating on changing my primary mode of transportation, a Ford IKON Flair 1.3. I had two choices in mind, a Ford Fiesta or Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk Vlx; two very different class of vehicles.

After test driving the Ford Fiesta, I came to a conclusion that it is a 30% improvement to Ford IKON. What I was not happy about was the Audio console on the high-end model which apparently is a 6 CD changer with no MP3 support. To me that seemed to be a big let down considering that it is factory fitted.

Coming to Scorpio; I actually enjoyed driving the Scorpio. The drive feeling was excellent. I rate the UMPH factor at 80%.

I did read the reviews on Team BHP and found the following to be consistent with reviews given here.
  • Excessive vibration of the gear while driving
  • Intellipark did not work for me, during my hour long test drive
  • Voice assist had a mind of its own, was not consistent at times.
  • In test vehicle that was given to me; the steering controls (volume, seek buttons) showed wear and tear, thus the text was standing to fade
  • ABS breaking was acceptable
  • The right side wheel rim was covered with brake dust. The vehicle was cleaned before it was assigned for testing in the morning. I test drove the vehicle around 5.00pm. Between 9 am and 5.00pm the rim was fully covered with brake dust. I am not sure if this is bad or really bad.
  • The factory fitted music system was sub-standard with very poor speaker quality. No option to opt out of this.
  • Pick-up/ Acceleration were very good. After driving the Ford IKON it was a different feeling all together. It was not at all difficult to drive this power beast on Chennai Roads.
  • Cruse Control, no way will I dare trying this on Chennai Roads..
All in all, this is a really good value for money. If you have another 50k or a lakh to spare you can do away with existing music system, chip in a sub-woofer, dvd player, lcd screen, rear-view parking cameras, and jazz up the vehicle.

Last edited by adya33 : 3rd March 2008 at 12:28.
krikah is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

well there seem to be more minus points than plus points. have you driven the safari or the innova? you could also look at the cedia and the optra magnum in that price range.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your test-drive only drives home the fact that a Mahindra without bells, whistles and electronic gizmos is best. Why don't you TD a regular Scorpio CRDe? Thats far better value and offers just what one needs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:17   #4

I am planning to test drive an Innova this weekend. However, I kinda liked the looks of Scorpio more than Innova and Safari.

Also, for the price range, the kind of features on paper (working or not working / usable not usable) seems to good seller. True to the fact, Mahindra failed to study the market well enough to package features that are more needed for Indian markets.

As of yesterday, the wait time to get your Scorpio post booking is 2 months. Another thing that I am not too happy about with Scorpio is "Price of vehicle applicable at the time of delivery. So there is a possibility that if the price of Scorpio goes up in 8 weeks, the price I will have to pay at the time of delivery may be more than what it is now....which to me is kind of dodgey.
krikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:20   #5
BHPian

why dont you test drive the optra magnum
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikah View Post
As of yesterday, the wait time to get your Scorpio post booking is 2 months. Another thing that I am not too happy about with Scorpio is "Price of vehicle applicable at the time of delivery. So there is a possibility that if the price of Scorpio goes up in 8 weeks, the price I will have to pay at the time of delivery may be more than what it is now....which to me is kind of dodgey.
I think that is pretty much standard practise. Sometimes, you get the price at time of booking if you make a 100% advance payment (check with the dealer on this). I'm not sure if a 100% advance payment is sensible though, especially if visibility on delivery is low.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:52   #7
BHPian

I have really been longing to see someone buy the mhawk & post the review. I could not locate much threads though ......need better searching practices if needed may be????

How did you feel the chassis roll??? & you did mention that the ABS was much effective. As GTO says, if gizmos doesn't turn you ON (though not much utility factors in there), suggest you go for the conventional 2.6ltr CRDE.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:07   #8
BHPian

I have done a complete review of the Scorpio after buying same a month back .

Check Initial ownership reports on priority
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Hi ,

Is the CRDe model still available ? The Scorpio website does not show that. Only Getaway is available with a CRDe engine and apart from that a M2DI (which I presume is a non-common rail Direct injection) engine.

--Vikrant
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

CRDe has been discontinued in all models except the Getaway. M2DI is the same engine as in the Bolero DI with slightly more bhp.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote