Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2008, 13:10   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default bad pic of interiors but you get one ...

lo shabji (20 characters)

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use any methods to bypass the 20 character limit. Do go through the new rule in our Announcements section.
Attached Images

Last edited by theMAG : 16th March 2008 at 22:50.
Old 16th March 2008, 13:44   #167
BHPian

Though the pics are not clear but the interiors do appeal to me.
Again it is a personal choice. I love sober stuff.
Like Kapil Dev used to say in one of the ads on TV "Simplicity main adbhutt shakti hai"
Old 16th March 2008, 16:04   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Though the pics are not clear but the interiors do appeal to me.
Again it is a personal choice. I love sober stuff.
Like Kapil Dev used to say in one of the ads on TV "Simplicity main adbhutt shakti hai"
the interiors are probaly same as the one in the petrol stile , you can check those out in any of the member galleries including mine
Old 16th March 2008, 17:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
For the record, I stand by what I said there - my stand has always been against the unrealistically over-the-top reactions and comments from users of that particular car, the mindless glorification of what is at the end of the day an ordinary product (damn, there I go again!), the refusal of such people to acknowledge any of that vehicle's weaknesses or shortcomings and their general inability to see any good in any other vehicle. If my comments have been strong it was only to fight fire with fire (yeah and a few bombs from time to time - kya kare? Control nahin hota!). And it will continue to be so.
Yes Sir. Agreed, there are those who mindlessly glorify a product in such a manner that its virtually impossible for them to find a single fault with it. And its good to know that you like to take a stand against such over the top reactions, and that you have the ability to give a rational judgement in most cases. I myself, would want to be that way.
But then, Palio as a product was fantastic. Exceptional in a lot of areas when considered to its competition. It really was!
Wait a minute, did I say was? Yes, unfortunately, but yes, nevertheless. And I am saying that for the Palio Multijet that I drove yesterday, and came back a bit too underwhelmed. Infact, I'd say its better if you could wait for the Indica Quadrajet ot the Grande Punto Multijet. Will be putting up my review in the next post.

Last edited by roms : 16th March 2008 at 17:49.
Old 16th March 2008, 18:01   #170
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs down

Reading all the test reports on team-bhp and mags(as i am yet to drive the car),i conclude that though palio is a sturdy and smart looking car but it is found lacking compared to swift diesel.

Even though both the cars share the same engines,engine job feels better executed in swift.Palio has edge in ride department but loses due to heavy controls. Interiors are dated in palio and swift feels a generation ahead of the palio.Gearbox and large turning radius+heavy controls is also points of concern in palio compared to swift D.

I waited quite long for palio D and booked a Swift VDi ABS for myself,now when i have option to cancel the booking and buy a palio,i dont want to do so,as i dont want to miss out on the fun to drive,nimble,peppy,fresh looking aspects of swift.Rear space is something i will never use.
Old 16th March 2008, 18:44   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by the two reports so far, is it safe to conclude that MUL has done a better job of shoe-horning the MJD into the Swift than Fiat did with the Palio?
Somehow, that statement just did'nt feel right. It was too early to state such a thing. Infact, all along after that, I thought and hoped, that after test driving the MJD myself, I would come back to the forum and reply very emphatically " No boss, your are just wrong. The Palio MJD rocks, it kicks the Swift D's backside". Sadly, I wont be able to say that. There, I've given it away even before I've started. Which goes to show that I'm utterly disappointed with what I drove yesterday, supposedly the best concoction yet in the world of Indian hatches, a good looking, proper Euro car with possibly the best compact diesel engine in the world. A car that was meant for the enthusiast. But it just does not live up to the hype.

A couple of days back I called up Shaman Auto and asked if they had the car available for the TD. And from then on, the sales girl called up every day to confirm if I was coming, and also offered for the car to test driven at my residence or work place. Good start. I told her that I will be there at 4ish on Saturday, and she gave me a reminder call at 3.30 pm as I was about to leave for the dealership. The eagerness to sell goes to show that these guys do want a few Fiat sales to happen. And they have started happening. They told me that they are selling a single Palio D every day since its launch. Nice going so far for an ailing car I thought.
Took my friend ( a Swift D owner) along with me for a TD, so he could give some "vishesh tippani" on the differences. Reached the dealership and the car was away on a TD. Waited for about 15 minutes and in the meanwhile spoke to the sales rep about the MJD, Swift D, and the Dicor. I got the feeling that there is internal rivalry at the dealerships between the two camps. The sales girl was probably appointed by Fiat was all gung ho about the Palio, while she laughed and said that Indica is yet for the taxi guys ( for the various reasons/assumptions that we are aware of). And its the same thing that I have observed at workshops. In any case, I will get on with the TD now, And I'll try comparing it to the Swift. :-

Exteriors - The car arrived. It was a black SDX. And it looked smashing with the big new red logo all around. The front grille, however, reminds me of an Alto! Whatever, overall, it still is the best looking hatch IMO. Both, friend and myself agreed that it makes the Swift look very ordinary. Palio wins hand dow here.

Interiors - Same old, same old! There is enough said on the forum and I agree whole heartedly. Dowdy interiors accentuated but poorer quality of fit and finish. They make you forget the gorgeous exteriors. Surprisingly, my friend liked the interior theme and found it better than Swift! IMO though, Swift wins, only marginally though.

The biggest talking point of them all - The gearbox. What have they done to it? Its ghastly !! Its the biggest sore point of the car. Its rubbery, it does'nt feel sporty, and it is does not slot with the feel of the older Palios. Definite downgrade. The Palio had the best combination of steering wheel and gearbox. It was one of the things that contributed to the feel of driving. And its let down when compared to the notchy yet precise gear box of the Swift. Swift all the way here. Infact, my TD experience went mostly in favour of the Swift after this point.

The drive - Start the car and you can immediately tell that the noise is far less damped than the Swift. And the car felt noisy and unrefined almost throught out the drive. And there is quite a bit of vibration through that rubbish gear stick, and a bit on the wheel as well.Swift has much better NVH levels, no doubt about that.

Continued in the next post :-

Last edited by roms : 16th March 2008 at 18:46.
Old 16th March 2008, 18:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

I feel they should have improved the interiors of the Palio, if they wanted to take competition head on. As far as the exteriors are concerned, Palio still holds the lead among hatches, although IMO, the 1.6 Tendulkar model looked far better than the new Avatar.
I don't like interiors where the dash is tilted towards the driver, and for this reason, the Stile, Verna and Ikon don't find favour with me. But that is my personal opinion.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:08   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If you get into a new car and feel at home not just with the seating but also with controls, thats what ergonomics is.
For a user who drives only his car, it will always feel the best. You need to drive better ones to understand what good really is. (hop in a Honda any time from any car be it MB, BMW, volvo etc., you'll know).
I agree. To understand the difference in feel and comfort of any car, one need to drive or sit in the car for at least 10Km or so and then immediately switch to another car and drive for at least 10Km or so and then move back to the first car immediately. It will clearly tell most minor details of difference.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:26   #174
BHPian

I'm least bothered about interiors. Without going to a lot of details, after test driving Palio MJD, I have become a little worried now if Punto or Linea, which will have the same engine, tuned or not, may turn out to be one like Palio engine. I will not doubt the emissions as it is a standard measurement. But powerful, super silent, great pick-up, I didn't feel much of that sort. If I like Palio 1.9D, then I like this 1.2MJD as well. It stops almost there.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:54   #175
BHPian

Continued from previous post :-

Leave the clutch and the car starts moving without touching the gas pedal. That itself will take care of bumper to bumper traffic and will contribute to less stress on both legs. But then flooring the gas pedal leaves you with quite a bit of lag. I was hoping that I would get a shove in my back once crossing the 2K rpm mark. That did happen, but it was not similar to what you get in the Swift. With the Swift, once you cross that dreary part of the rev band called turbo lag, you get that rush, which puts a big smile across, sort of like this, while here in the Palio, its more like this. Thats an apt way of using your 2 smiley per post rule, dont you think? Anyways, the car does feel heavier than the Swift, even though it isn't. And it just does'nt feel fast enough at any point of time, or agile. It runs out of breath at around 4.5 K rpm.
The ride and handling is good, but I think the Swift handles better in the city. The Palio might better it on the highway though. There was quite a bit of body roll and the car did tend to lose its back end fairly quickly. Not confidence aspiring. Have they removed the stabilizer bars in this one too? The 1.6 still has it, the 1.1 does not. I know its the high profile rubber coupled with 13 inch wheels and softish suspension. Maybe a stiffer set up like the 1.6 coupled with the 14 inch alloys and rubber will help matters. But even if we say the MJD is for the mass market, it should ride brilliantly, which it does, but not so much at lower speeds. It does get much better as you go fast, but you would have to be on the highway to say that. In city, it feels a bit stiff and you do feel bumps and irregularities. I owned a Palio 1.2 couple of years back, which had ann identical suspension/tyre set up and the ride on that was "magic carpet" like. I still miss that car for its awesome ride. The Palio MJD's ride is just about ok in comparison, and dare I say not as good as the Swift. My friend felt the exact same thing. He felt the car was a bouncy on rough patches. Braking, however, has been worked upon, and I first felt it in the Palio Stile 1.6 TD as well. The brakes are competent.

So, its noiser than the Swift, the refinement levels are much lower than the Swift, its slower than the Swift for sure, it does not handle as sharply as the Swift, atleast in city that is, it rides well but I'm not convinced, (being a Palio owner) and the gearbox is pure rubbish when compared to the Swift. The chassis/ gearbox / engine combo make the Swift a far more FTD (fun to drive car).And I tell you what, there is one word that comes to mind - "finesse", or the lack of it in this car's case.

The best bit, my "Swift friend", who is less blessed w.r.t knowledge on things automotive said " Romil, I dont think this is the same engine as the one in my Swift. You are mistaken, because I dont even think it has a turbo!!"

The other bits - The A/c is great, and it does not strain the engine at all. The seats have been given more cushioning as some one else pointed out on the forum and they do feel improved overall. Practicalitiy wise, the Palio is much better than the Swift, primarily because there is more space inside and out.

And I conclude - So, GTO, I completely agree with you. The DDiS is better shoe horned in the Swift. Kudos to guys at MUL for doing that. The Swift D caters to almost everyone - those looking for fun and those looking for mileage. But the Palio MJD seems to be made for the later category of people. Its not an enthusiasts car at all. And the later category do want a refined car/ engine, and that it is not. Thanks, majorly to the gearbox. I mean as a car in a world without DDiS, it still is brilliant. But we do have the DDiS, and it is better in the driving department. The only consolations are the brilliant looks, good pricing, smaller waiting period and practicality.

The car will sell pretty decently, give the practicality side of it amongst other good bits. But till when? Only until the Indica Quadrajet or the fantastic GP hit the market. And thats going to happen bloddy soon. The Palio, atleast for me, and the way I knew of it is going. The 1.6 Stile is a hoot to drive and is rocking. But there is better competition for the 1.1 and sadly, for the MJD.

Firebird, good you thought of keeping the Palio 1.6 and Steer, Sir, I think wating for better cars is the right thing to do. I have my eyes set on the GP, but after the MJD I can no longer confidently say that " I know it will be a brilliant drive". Sigh.

Oh by the way, I forgot about the the sales guy who accompanied us for the TD. Why would I remember him? He was sitting in the back seat and enjoying his evening drive with the a/c on. He did not utter a single word from start till end. Infact, I treated him to some masala milk at Worli Sea face and hoped that would help open up his mouth. But that did not work either. Aisa hai chakkar bhaiya Fiat India ka!
Old 16th March 2008, 20:14   #176
Team-BHP Support

Now thats an unbiased review Romil and I now agree that MUL has done a better job with shoehorning the Multijet engine into the Swift. Only compromise we can see in this war of Multijets is the price at which the Palio is offered but for that enthusiast in us there is a lot less offered by the Palio as compared to the Swift. Way to go MUL. I called up B.U. Bhandari just yesterday evening and even they confirmed about 25 bookings so far. Which is quite A LOT!!
Old 16th March 2008, 20:32   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
. Only compromise we can see in this war of Multijets is the price at which the Palio is offered but for that enthusiast in us there is a lot less offered by the Palio as compared to the Swift. Way to go MUL. I called up B.U. Bhandari just yesterday evening and even they confirmed about 25 bookings so far. Which is quite A LOT!!
Very aptly put Moral. In the end it may not be meant for us enthusiasts, but if it sells decently, the chances of which seem reasonable, thats Fiat's work done. And its good if people buy that car. That will ensure the company's future, will help us support our own present cars, and will ensure us a (hopefully) worthy upgrade in the near future.

BTW, it would be good to know what you think of the car as well

Last edited by roms : 16th March 2008 at 20:34.
Old 16th March 2008, 21:55   #178
Senior - BHPian

Good review Roms.

I had high expectations from Palio 1.3 as I am in love with the old Palio 1.9. I expected Palio to be more refined compared to Swift.

Though the car is not fun to drive like swift I think it would not rattle like Swift. Thats what I hate about Swift D. Its real fun to drive otherwise.
Old 16th March 2008, 22:39   #179
BHPian

[quote=PatienceWins;760455]
I had high expectations from Palio 1.3 as I am in love with the old Palio 1.9.
[quote]

Absolutely. Same here. I would still pick the good old Palio 1.9 or a Siena 1.7TD instead of the Palio Multijet.
Old 17th March 2008, 00:14   #180
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review Rom.
Like all the Fiat lover i too had a high expectation from MJD and now it is really disappointing.
Did they say anything about FE?even in that terms swift is ahead?
Closed Thread