Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2008, 00:31   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
Very nice and detailed review Rom.
Like all the Fiat lover i too had a high expectation from MJD and now it is really disappointing.
Did they say anything about FE?even in that terms swift is ahead?
They said 15-16 kmpl in city, 18-20 on highways, pretty much the same as Swift. But the real picture can only emerge after an ownership review on the forum.

Last edited by roms : 17th March 2008 at 00:34.
Old 17th March 2008, 00:46   #182
BHPian

Here is my review about the new Palio Stile Multijet.

Well this may sound funny to many, but for the fact I have a Palio 1.6 GTX in my family (belonging to my cousin sister) which I have just once started, moved forward, reversed, and parked in the parking lot. That must have been the only time I sat in a Palio. Then came the new 1.6 Sport version followed by the new look Palio Stile. Anyways it was then, but this time I didn’t wish to miss the opportunity of actually checking the new Palio Stile Multijet and test driving it. So a quick call to the dealer, and I and my two friends were ready to hit the showroom.

We reached the showroom at 11.30. As soon as we entered inside we just ran towards the car. Permission from the sales person attending us, I started taking snaps (out of which 7 already put up), before one lady comes running towards me saying “sorry sir photos not allowed”… Okay so now the review:-

EXTERIOR:

The on display was the top end SDX model. Sorry, I forgot the name of the shade although to me it was just an ordinary red color. From the outside the car looks good, as they say typical Italian styling.

Outside, the first thing that catches your attention is the bright red FIAT logo, both on the grill and on the hatch door. I just loved it.

The paint quality is outstanding. And the body colored bumpers and the ORVMS are also neatly finished and in sync with the overall body color. Full marks to Fiat.

The car comes equipped with 13” steel rims which is okay for the base version SD and the one above that the SDE. But the alloys are sorely missed on the top end SDX, although they have good looking wheel caps on it. When asked, the sales person said it’s just to keep the costs under control but later on may be Fiat will make them OE atleast on the SDX. Okay so this was it as far as the looks were concerned. Now towards the interiors.

INTERIORS:

Just by looking inside one can get the idea about the cars spacious interiors, and stepping inside makes it all the more confirmed. The cabin space is certainly very spacious for a small a car and the rear can easily occupy three adults. I am 5’5”, a bit hefty, one of my friends 5’8”, and the other one 6’ and well built, and we all could sit very comfortably at the back. Also there is a lot of legroom, and one doesn’t feel cramped even when the front seats are rolled back fully. Here the Palio wins over the Swift which is hefty /bulky from the outside and cramped inside.

The beige interiors IMO are decent, simple and very sober looking though some of the Palio owners and or members here may feel them to be outdated. I feel that at the price tag it comes for they are pretty okay, purely my personal opinion. The plastic used is also of good quality and in no ways it looks cheapo to me. Talking further about the ergonomics, all the controls are easy to operate and within the drivers’ reach. (this includes the ac button, the ICE setup, power window switches: the rear ones just ahead of the gear shifter rod, the boot and the fuel lid opener levers). However the car doesn’t have enough cup holders (not bothering but still), and the two provided in the glove box are just too impractical to use, IMO.

The boot has more space compared to Swift.
Palio 1.3 MJD Test Driven and Ripped.-img_0612.jpg
Palio 1.3 MJD Test Driven and Ripped.-img_0613.jpg

The instrument cluster is okay, but the absence of a digital odometer and tripmeter is felt certainly.
All- in –all a decent package as far as the interiors are concerned.

DRIVING EXPERIENCE:

Now was the time to actually test drive the car. The car available for TD at the b.u. bhandari showroom was a black colored base version.

This was only a second occasion where I was driving a diesel car. The first been where I drove my good friend and also a TBpian Ameys’ Swift D.

With all the windows closed I turn on the ignition, crank up and the engine comes to life. Much to my surprise, I felt the car to be noisy inside. There were no vibrations whatsoever, but the engine sound call it growl/ roar or whatever was very much evident inside the cabin. As it was too hot outside and the car been heated up like an oven we turned on the air con and waited for a while for cooling before we could start on with the TD. However, one thing that I must add is; my drive was small and in a straight line just up to the Pashan road circle where the road ends & back. Also the time was 12 something with a sizable amount of traffic coming from both ends, so chances of driving fast were only getting bleaker. Anyways this was the scenario and I couldn’t help.

My initial impressions were okay, from neutral I shifted in the first gear and the car started to move almost instantly as I released the clutch to press the accelerator. The shift from first to second was pretty smooth, slowly the engine sound (read that as the sound heard inside the cabin) also reduced. Didn’t pay much attention but I believe that the turbo kicks in between 2000-2500 rpm, and the car gets going. Shifted into 3rd and the car was as smooth as a petrol one, with no kinds of rattling sounds unlike the Swift. However, while still driving in the 3rd gear with the AC on, felt that the car was not pulling (don’t know the speed as the speedometer was not operational) and so I had to downshift. Tried it again, and again felt the same thing. But with the accelerator pressed a bit hard and having shifted in the 4th the car was moving effortlessly, and I did feel the engines’ power. Sadly I couldn’t shift in the 5th gear because of the traffic.

I may be wrong but I found the gear box to be pretty decent and so was taken by surprise as many members here are complaining about it been hard and a total disappointment.

The AC is too good and does its job well.

Braking is good. No complaints on that front. But why not more safety features like ABS and airbags? Atleast the option of ABS, IMO.

Overall the car is a pleasure to drive. The ride was smooth, and as mentioned I was driving on a straight road so cannot talk much about the handling aspect, but yes it was good though. Fortunately the road I was driving on is in decent condition with not many potholes on to it hence, couldn’t feel the suspensions to that extent, but the ride was not bouncy. May be one can get a clear picture in the long run.

CONCLUSION:
A good car for the budget conscious and those who want to shift their loyalties from the likes of Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai.

Cheers,
Dhaval

Last edited by dhaval : 17th March 2008 at 00:52.
Old 17th March 2008, 01:11   #183
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Towel . I am surprised you never sat in my car?

Quote:
The instrument cluster is okay, but the absence of a digital odometer and tripmeter is felt certainly.
Did you know, the cheap Renault Logan also has a digital odometer with an amber backlight. When is Fiat going to join the bandwagon? Nice observation there.

Quote:
The car comes equipped with 13” steel rims which is okay for the base version SD and the one above that the SDE. But the alloys are sorely missed on the top end SDX, although they have good looking wheel caps on it. When asked, the sales person said it’s just to keep the costs under control but later on may be Fiat will make them OE atleast on the SDX. Okay so this was it as far as the looks were concerned. Now towards the interiors.
So they want to make the initial buyers of the SDX feel bad at a later stage? I feel any top end variant rolling out of the showroom should at least have alloy wheels, fog lights, body coloured bumpers, a tacho .

BTW, does the SDX have white background dials on the speedo console or are they black?
Old 17th March 2008, 01:22   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Did you know, the cheap Renault Logan also has a digital odometer with an amber backlight. When is Fiat going to join the bandwagon? Nice observation there.
Why go far, the "Taxi" Indica has a digital odometer now.
Quote:
So they want to make the initial buyers of the SDX feel bad at a later stage? I feel any top end variant rolling out of the showroom should at least have alloy wheels, fog lights, body coloured bumpers, a tacho .

BTW, does the SDX have white background dials on the speedo console or are they black?
the aim is to garner a few sales before the new models role in later(later can mean anywhere from 10 months to 10 years).
The way this launch is being done, and how the Palio is being positioned etc., it appears FIAT India just want to sell some cars(even if its 200 a month) till the current crop of models come in.
Palio is extinct, and the design is at its last stages. It represents the past of Fiat India, and not the future.
Old 17th March 2008, 02:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Nice review Towel . I am surprised you never sat in my car?
Thanks Kiran.
IIRC, i have just heard the ICE setup in your car outside ccd and it was dark outside and even inside your car

Quote:
Knowing your sources, i am sure the message will be put across.

Quote:
They are black.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:35   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
The best bit, my "Swift friend", who is less blessed w.r.t knowledge on things automotive said " Romil, I dont think this is the same engine as the one in my Swift.
Is it because its EU-5 compliant ? While DDIS is EU-3. Many times engine changes its real character due to stricter pollution norm compliance.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:52   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Is it because its EU-5 compliant ? While DDIS is EU-3. Many times engine changes its real character due to stricter pollution norm compliance.
Is this True. Never heard of that. Is the MJD in india EU-5??
Old 17th March 2008, 15:02   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why go far, the "Taxi" Indica has a digital odometer now.

Why go even that far, The 'world's cheapest car', the Nano has one too!!

That should kill any speculation that this was excluded as part of 'keeping costs down' . I guess they didn't want to tool up an all new instrument panel

Nice review Dhaval, you should have taken the first left as soon as you leave the showroom towards Pashan. Anyway, maybe you can have a longer TD when your closer to booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Here is my review about the new Palio Stile Multijet.

Well this may sound funny to many, but for the fact I have a Palio 1.6 GTX in my family (belonging to my cousin sister) which I have just once started, moved forward, reversed, and parked in the parking lot. That must have been the only time I sat in a Palio.
Lol, I seem to have driven that car a lot more than you then!!

BTW, it's a 1.6 GTX SP, with Airbag & ABS.

Suhail
Old 17th March 2008, 15:09   #189
BHPian

Dhaval do you have any pics of the rims?
Old 17th March 2008, 15:17   #190
rkg
Senior - BHPian

i do remember reading in news papers that it is Euro 5 complaint or meets Euro 5 norms
Old 17th March 2008, 15:43   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Nice review Dhaval, you should have taken the first left as soon as you leave the showroom towards Pashan. Anyway, maybe you can have a longer TD when your closer to booking!
Thanks Suhail. Ya i realized it afterwards that i should have taken the first left, but anyways.

Quote:
Lol, I seem to have driven that car a lot more than you then!!

BTW, it's a 1.6 GTX SP, with Airbag & ABS.

Suhail
You one lucky dawg..Hehe!!
And thanks for that info, didn't know that it had airbags too

Quote:
Dhaval do you have any pics of the rims?
@ payam
here you go
Palio 1.3 MJD Test Driven and Ripped.-img_0610.jpg
Old 17th March 2008, 21:52   #192
Senior - BHPian

Wheel caps held by the wheel lug nuts, sure to fly off in a few days time.
Old 17th March 2008, 22:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why go even that far, The 'world's cheapest car', the Nano has one too!!

That should kill any speculation that this was excluded as part of 'keeping costs down' . I guess they didn't want to tool up an all new instrument panel
I heard from a reliable source that the instrument panel of the Nano costs all of Rs.13/-. Yeah, no digits missing there, but dont quote me on it.
Old 17th March 2008, 22:08   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I heard from a reliable source that the instrument panel of the Nano costs all of Rs.13/-. Yeah, no digits missing there, but dont quote me on it.
That is an unbeatable achievement for TATA.

I am wondering how they manage that.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 17th March 2008 at 22:09.
Old 17th March 2008, 22:23   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wheel caps held by the wheel lug nuts, sure to fly off in a few days time.
Is it unusual?
Even Palio 1.2 ELX had wheel caps held by wheel lug nuts, but didn't hear anyone reporting their wheel caps fly off so far (nor did mine for past 2 years!).
Closed Thread