Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2008, 23:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wheel caps held by the wheel lug nuts, sure to fly off in a few days time.
Shouldn't it be the other way round ? Wheel caps held by nuts should not fly off so easy , right ?
Old 17th March 2008, 23:10   #197
Senior - BHPian

I think with that much of torque, upsizing the wheels would always be a good idea but Sourcing 98 PCD alloys for all the Fiats has always been a problem.
Old 17th March 2008, 23:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Is it because its EU-5 compliant ? While DDIS is EU-3. Many times engine changes its real character due to stricter pollution norm compliance.
Probably, if the Multijet in India is indeed Euro 5 compliant. There are a few cars that come to mind - Euro2 and Euro3 Palio 1.2, Siena/Petra, Baleno. In all cases, the Euro 2 engined cars have been more responsive.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:25   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think with that much of torque, upsizing the wheels would always be a good idea but Sourcing 98 PCD alloys for all the Fiats has always been a problem.
Fiat Palio OE alloys are always there if there would be no other choice.
Old 18th March 2008, 07:12   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Steeroid : I heard from a reliable source that the instrument panel of the Nano costs all of Rs.13/-. Yeah, no digits missing there, but dont quote me on it.
Possible cost of manufacturing. Without any instruments, that is !
Old 18th March 2008, 09:59   #201
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Possible cost of manufacturing. Without any instruments, that is !

Heh ..... Similar to the Tata CR System's ....

EDIT back to Topic - I havent driven the Palio MJD as yet .. but the Tata Qjet seems to be a better bet, atleast the throtle reponse is better

Last edited by SUV : 18th March 2008 at 10:04.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:00   #202
BHPian

Test drove multijet.
I will not talk about enterior/exterior. Straight to the review.
Engine noise at idle high in the cabin. 1st and 2nd gear is too responsive as these gears crosses 2k rpm early. Shift to 3rd and RPM is below 2K, and you can feel the power loses. Buttttttttt... press full throttle and pickup kicks up too fast. Manage to cross 2K RPM in 4th gear. Once you get the speed engine noise goes but not like Petrol engines. Driving in city will be fun with frequent gear shifting to keep RPM at high. Managed to get turbo on in 5th too, but one need to pull above 60-70 KMPH in 5th, not sure odo was off, but I can guess i was crossed 80 KMPH. I did not found much difference in Pickup compare to Swift. But my 1.2's gear shift I found better than Stile's one. But Stile has short gear shift comapre to my 1.2.
Overall, its fun to drive on long trip. Not sure how it will feel in heavy trafic.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 18th March 2008 at 11:05.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:54   #203
BHPian

Well, i too had a test drive yesterday, it was a silver colour Palio SDX

Interior-It looks almost similiar to the old Palio, Infact some colour change , thats all, I dint find any notable difference, between the Old and the new palio.SDX is equipped with both side mirrors,rear defogger , 4 door power windows.These features lack in the SDE Palio.My wife sat in the back, she said it is not spacious as the swift.

Exteriors- Paint work and stuffs are really neat ,Black looks stunning.There's a small change in the front grill between the ordinary Palio stile.

Engine-Engine is not that smooth, it is loud while reviin, but not that clattering sound of the ordinary diesel engines, it is like growling, a different sound u could say.The engine was free Revving with no problem reachin the redline.You can easily notice the turbo kicking at 2000 rpm, a sudden acceleration after 2000rpm.Handling is one of the best with good brake feel.Gear changing felt smooth,.I reached till 100 on 3rd gear.Any idea whats the top speed for this car??

Overall its worth buying this car.Digital odmeter,13 inch tyres,New Interiors are the things which lack in the car..

Price in Cochin for sdx is 5.30 lakhs on road, no offers as yet and is only available with RF motors
Old 18th March 2008, 12:25   #204
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Heh ..... Similar to the Tata CR System's ....

EDIT back to Topic - I havent driven the Palio MJD as yet .. but the Tata Qjet seems to be a better bet, atleast the throtle reponse is better
hey SUV, have you driven Tata QJet?
Old 18th March 2008, 19:23   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I think they have changed the front seats in the stile. I have driven / been driven in Moralfibre's Palio a fair amount and have also test driven the Stile.

I distinctly noticed that the Stile (1.6) Definitely had better lower back support.

IIRC, the current seats are provided by Tata Johnson.

Anyway, I'm sure MF (Also short for Mr. Fiat) will be along shortly to shed some more light on this!

Suhail
well i felt that the seat height was a little lower than the once found in the retro. judging the fr. left corner was a tad easier as compared to the stile
Old 18th March 2008, 19:41   #206
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
So they want to make the initial buyers of the SDX feel bad at a later stage? I feel any top end variant rolling out of the showroom should at least have alloy wheels, fog lights, body coloured bumpers, a tacho .

i am afraid they have already started this by offering leather wrapped steering wheel and gear nob to the new 1.6 stiles
Old 18th March 2008, 22:26   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way round ? Wheel caps held by nuts should not fly off so easy , right ?
Right, but, when you are tightening the wheel nut and you hear a crackling sound, you know that the thing is going to fly off soon.

I have myself experienced this earlier on a Padmini, as well as a Palio 1.2, while changing a flat.

Most cars these days use the peripheral clamp that holds on to the rim peripheri, rather than at the wheel nuts (I am talking about OEM wheel covers only).
Old 19th March 2008, 06:56   #208
BHPian

Test drove the palio stile mjd at bhubaneshwar on 17 evening and immediately thereafter also drove a SWIFT VDI.I was greatly disappointed with the multijet and thereafter booked my swift LDI yesterday.
Negetives-
Engine sound (vis a vis the swift-the swift is much more quieter.)
Palio has a bumpier ride
The gear shifting is not very smooth
Pricing- 1.1SL Petrol is around 3.40(after discount at bhubaneshwar) while the Multijet SD is 4.55- difference of 1.15 between the petrol and diesel.
The front grill was better in the earlier version (maybe the new grill would look good in carbon black- does not look good in magnesium grey)

Positives-
Strong built-one feels safe inside the palio
Good use of space
Foldable rear seats
Good features like rear wiper and demister in the top end variant-not there in swift VDI

If we talk in terms of ride quality the swift wins hands down.

I feel that if one is really interested in the Palio he should wait as the prices are bound to be slashed. Otherwise go ahead and buy the slightly over priced SWIFT as I did. In return you get-

Peace of mind-Very Good ***
Good Resale value
An excellent car for self driving
Old 19th March 2008, 09:07   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
roms : Probably, if the Multijet in India is indeed Euro 5 compliant.
Fiat India's website says the MJD is Compatible with Euro-5 emission norms. MS's website only says the emissions are cleaner. Can the Swift DDiS owners can confirm this from their owner's manuals ?

Last edited by condor : 19th March 2008 at 09:20.
Old 19th March 2008, 09:38   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Fiat India's website says the MJD is Compatible with Euro-5 emission norms. MS's website only says the emissions are cleaner. Can the Swift DDiS owners can confirm this from their owner's manuals ?
where? I could not find it on the site.
Closed Thread