Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2008, 22:57   #76
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Abhibh, I was dying to do the first test drive. Even though the car was available at hand I didn't even start it. I was too busy at the workshop learning how to service my car and I had more fun for sure. May be the Palio test drive would have added to the fun I already had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Interiors: I think it was the biggest let down for me at least. Fiat has gone TATA way. I was checking the top-end model and its interior quality was no way better than Swift or old Palio (blue interior). Plastic was tacky and it was giving TATA cars feeling. The beige is never my choice but to each his own. No complaints regarding car having beige interiors. Check the 4th pic for interiors fitments.
Fiat couldn't go the TATA way here. I don't know what grounds you chose to compare this but wait until you check the interiors of a Safari Dicor 2.2 which costs 10L+ in the market. I couldn't recollect a Palio which had blue interiors? The plastics although not refreshing (good looking) are certainly not of poor quality. While I completely agree that they have dragged these interiors for 8 long years and its about time for a change. I also couldn't see what you were trying to point out in the 4th pic you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
that seems to be a pretty high redline - about 5K... isnt that high for a diesel?
No it isn't. The Swift revs up that high as well. The Octavia is a close second to have a high redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@abhibh, that was a quick one. The speedo is caliberated to 200 kmph .. Redlining at 5k looks to be in line
Condor, what has speedo calibration got to do with a high redline? I didn't get the point probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
In conclusion, if the vehicle is bad at anything, blame Tata.
If its good at something, it has to be the Italians.
That is just one persons opinion. Whoever thinks TATA has anything to do with the Palio interiors is badly mistaken. Yes the Italians can still make better cars than TATA and there is no denying the fact only problem being they aren't good at selling them.

Quote:
The Palio always had lousy interiors, which got worse on the 'Stile' - long before Tata got into the equation. The pictures you've posted look like they came out of the Stile.
Buy an Indica Dicor. At least it doesnt pretend to be a tank.
I wouldn't have agreed if you said that until 2003 because they were good looking until then. Best in the segment at least. By lousy, if you mean impractical and dysfunctional then I don't agree with you even today. They are boring to look at, its been 8 long years we are seeing it. Before you recommend the Indica Dicor, can you tell us why would you choose it over the Fiat's Multijet? Forget the old tank stories that everyone seems to be cashing on. Take a break somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Good thing i didnt wait for this palio and booked the Getz CRDi instead as its got better build quality(i like the interiors of the getz and the wooden trim too ) , NVH almost NIL , better A.S.S compared to FIAT in my area, and last but not the least - the powerful 110 bhp engine.
I like the Getz interiors too. They are very nice. The plastic quality is better than the Palio and the Swift as well. The Getz is a nice family car. The 110 bhp engine does it a lot good, but only in a straight line. The NVH in the Getz CRDi is much higher than the Palio and the Swift for sure. Please drive a Swift / Palio before you go by the reviews here. And yes you paid close to a lakh more for all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
There are very few Fiat technicians, almost non available critical spare parts like injectors and very costly and often a low priority service is rendered to fiat owners at Tata dealerships( 2 workshops that I interacted with in Mumbai- Fortune and Wasan).
I was at the Tata-Fiat workshop yesterday getting my car serviced and I can assure you that training on the new 1.3 Multijet engine was carried out earlier this month and guys spent about 4-5 days getting trained on the new engine and they did teach me a lot of things about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
And of course , re sale value of a Swift even after 4 years, will be far better than a 3 year old Palio(read Fiat) in India irrespective of the waiting period. It may be worth waiting, in my opinion.
Have you checked out the current resale value of a Palio diesel? If not please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes Amit, I do. I know for a fact that the accelerator and the brake are so close together in the Palio that one can easily hit both of them together. Or maybe I just have really big feet.
I have bigger feet as well. I have never managed to press the accelerator when trying to brake even when I drove the car first I didn't manage to do that. But you are right about the fact of hitting the accelerator while trying to brake. Ram, drove my car once on a drive to Lavasa just for a hundred meters when he hit the accelerator while trying to brake.

Quote:
This is because the footwell is ridiculously small. Anyone with a shoe size > 9 will find it difficult to manage the pedals, until they get used to it. Or until they stop driving other cars.
Can't say anything before I actually measure the footwell or stop driving other cars. My shoe size is 10.

Quote:
While on the subject of power window buttons, the ones on the Palio are hosted on some sort of pod (not built into a ledge on the door trim that also includes an arm rest, unlike other cars). They do not fall naturally to hand if your arm is on the door/door sill - one has to search for them.
While driving, do you rest your right hand on the arm rest? I have one hand on the steering wheel while the other operates the gear stick. I do not recall Swifts placement on the passenger doors but the Indica has it 2 inches from the bottom. You have to bend down to access it.

Quote:
I could go on like this, but then you're so used to the car that you will not notice these. Its a bit like I dont find the Safari's clutch pedal to be heavy anymore (I did, the first time around) but a person driving it for the first time will still find it heavy.
Quote:
When you say a car is ergonomic, it should mean that you are instantly comfortable when you sit inside and all controls are naturally reachable without requiring any significant adjustment on the driver's part. The Palio and the Indica (the latter because of its ridiculously high steering wheel) are hardly the epitomes of ergonomics. The most ergonomic hatch (IMVHO) I have driven in India is the Hyundai Getz.
When driving the Getz from Bombay to Shirdi, I was stuck in a jam that went for 70-80 kms where I drove the Getz for sometime and the Scorpio was the other car I was driving. While shifting gears in the Getz, my elbow would hit the passenger seat all the while (may be I have a long forearm). The Getz air vents are bad and you cant aim them right. I remember when my elder brother got the Getz home and handed me the keys to take a spin I ran down and much to my disappointment I couldn't start the car, it took me a phone call to know that it doesn't start without the clutch pedal depressed, there was no sticker mentioning this feature anywhere close to the dashboard. The best feature of the Getz is the dead pedal placement, the BEST in business.

Explaning the Palio ergonomics further for those who haven't spent much time in it, the AC starts off just at the press of a button, you don't have to manually start the blower for it to start running. The stereo is well placed and you don't get your eyes of the road for too long to operate it. The AC thermostat controller is softest to operate. The lower placements of the AC vents in the center of the dashboard ensure that you don't have air in your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
ICE:
There is provision for 4" round speakers on the front doors and for tweeters on the dash. (experts please comments whether this arrangement is recommended or not). For ovals in the rear, you will need a wooden/MDF plank, rendering the stock location for 4" speakers useless.
The fronts take 5.25" and the rear fill is 4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by the two reports so far, is it safe to conclude that MUL has done a better job of shoe-horning the MJD into the Swift than Fiat did with the Palio?
Rather than conclude, I'd say assume until each of takes a drive in the Palio and posts our views. We already have a lot of DDIS users and just one Multijet test drive review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Well I am totally confused ...Should I hold back my horses...??
I would say its pointless selling off the Palio so soon to trade for another one. You will lose a lot on resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Saar, I'm a previous Fiat owner, twice over. And I was a part of the team that modded (quite madly) one of India's first Palio 1.6s. Trust me, I know these cars pretty well, and I tell it like it is.
If you are talking about the Premier Padmini then I can sympathize with you. What more do you know about the Palio that we do not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a very important aspect, especially fiat lovers. Wait for the new lenia et all, dont jump and exchange your cars now.
Well put and I whole heartedly agree with you on this one. Wait for the 90 bhp Grande Punto at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Now this engine although same design is not coming out of the same factory right as Maruti right? How about the transmission and gear ratios?
The current lot of engines that go into the Palio Stile Multijet are imported. I believe from Poland, not sure though. Later this year they would have it off the Fiat Powertrain assembly line in Ranjangaon itself.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th March 2008 at 22:59.
Old 13th March 2008, 23:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I like the Getz interiors too. They are very nice. The plastic quality is better than the Palio and the Swift as well. The Getz is a nice family car. The 110 bhp engine does it a lot good, but only in a straight line. The NVH in the Getz CRDi is much higher than the Palio and the Swift for sure. Please drive a Swift / Palio before you go by the reviews here. And yes you paid close to a lakh more for all this.
No offense but have u driven the Getz CRDi....??
Old 13th March 2008, 23:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:

That's the first time I am hearing that the NVH levels in the Getz are bad. I havent driven the Getz crdi, but from my experience of the Getz petrol, the NVH levels were pretty impressive.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:21   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The NVH in the Getz CRDi is much higher than the Palio and the Swift for sure
Please stop joking, have you ever driven a Getz CRDi or atleast the petrol?

Have driven a Palio 1.6 and my oh my was like my servant operating the grinder under the hood.Agree its a 1.6 and belts 100 horses, so does the Fiesta 1.6 and Verna 1.6, but noise is controlled.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:31   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No offense but have u driven the Getz CRDi....??
None taken. Yes I have. For 7.5 kms to be precise. I found it to be a bad handler and I did not test this in city traffic. I took it on mountain roads, Taljai in Pune to pinpoint.

EDIT KP, I did not compare the NVH of the Getz with the Palio MJD, I did with my Petrol and the Swift DDIS. May be I had a bad test drive car. But it was just 8k kms old IIRC. You are the Hyundai guy and I don't think I could command over you in this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
That's the first time I am hearing that the NVH levels in the Getz are bad. I havent driven the Getz crdi, but from my experience of the Getz petrol, the NVH levels were pretty impressive.
The NVH in a Petrol and Diesel car can't be same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Please stop joking, have you ever driven a Getz CRDi or atleast the petrol?
I have a Petrol GVS in the house and I have done close to 7500 kms on it since purchased in Jan 2006 from Hyundai motor plaza Mumbai. I am in no mood to joke at this time of the night and I do not say that I am an authority to make comments on NVH. I wrote what I experienced. BTW the Getz is close to 30k kms now and is still strong.

Quote:
Have driven a Palio 1.6 and my oh my was like my servant operating the grinder under the hood.Agree its a 1.6 and belts 100 horses, so does the Fiesta 1.6 and Verna 1.6, but noise is controlled.
Ok.

EDIT: Do you have a Petrol Getz or the Diesel version? I commented about the NVH levels of the Getz CRDi which is diesel. Hope you guys aren't commenting on the Petrol version? I have a Petrol and the NVH is quite low.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th March 2008 at 00:38.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are talking about the Premier Padmini then I can sympathize with you. What more do you know about the Palio that we do not?
That the 1.6 is an absolute BEAST. That bottom half would hold some serious boost, in stock form. That the headers are so bloody tough to fabricate, especially since they sit behind the engine. That the car's clutch is just about ok for stock power, and the lord help you if you mod your car, because clutches fry like eggs then. That the Palio 1.6 with headers and a filter will eat a Vtec alive.

And that they used to auction off clutches. We had to pay a 5k PREMIUM to get our clutch in 3 days.

Like I said, I tell it like it is. The Palio, when it was launched, was a wonderful car. The 100 bhp 1.6 still is, in many respects. The 1.2 was a sore disappointment, the saving grace being the induction note post 3k rpm. The 1.2 NV was no better, and the 1.1 was and is absolutely useless as anything more than a school pick-up mobile.

I've seen these cars up close, and I respect them for what they are. Would I like to take a nice 1.6 GTX with some mods and good rubber out for a night on town? Hell yeah! Would I like to own one? No chance.

It will be interesting to see how Fiat India handles the 1.3 diesel. This is their last chance to prove the naysayers wrong. If they fail with this, they can pretty much kiss the Punto/Linea scene goodbye. If they redeem themselves (which I hope they do), it will create a more interesting marketplace scenario.

I must say, oralfibroid, your posts are like a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's because you actually own the 1.6, rather than talk about it.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:59   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That the 1.6 is an absolute BEAST. That bottom half would hold some serious boost, in stock form. That the headers are so bloody tough to fabricate, especially since they sit behind the engine. That the car's clutch is just about ok for stock power, and the lord help you if you mod your car, because clutches fry like eggs then. That the Palio 1.6 with headers and a filter will eat a Vtec alive.
OT:
Pray, someone is already working on adding a turbo to the Palio - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/747393-post242.html . I am going to be the raju mechanic of this project. Getting all the work done from fabricators on instructions by the person in concern above. The clutch in the Palio is a Valeo unit IIRC.

Quote:
And that they used to auction off clutches. We had to pay a 5k PREMIUM to get our clutch in 3 days.
Next time you need one, give me a shout I saw at least 15 in stock yesterday.

Quote:
Like I said, I tell it like it is. The Palio, when it was launched, was a wonderful car. The 100 bhp 1.6 still is, in many respects. The 1.2 was a sore disappointment, the saving grace being the induction note post 3k rpm. The 1.2 NV was no better, and the 1.1 was and is absolutely useless as anything more than a school pick-up mobile.
Agreed.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how Fiat India handles the 1.3 diesel. This is their last chance to prove the naysayers wrong. If they fail with this, they can pretty much kiss the Punto/Linea scene goodbye. If they redeem themselves (which I hope they do), it will create a more interesting marketplace scenario.
I am seriously wanting to test drive the 1.3 MJD tomorrow. I want to know if what Abhibh wrote holds true or not.

Quote:
I must say, oralfibroid, your posts are like a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's because you actually own the 1.6, rather than talk about it.
Thank you amigo.
Old 14th March 2008, 01:10   #83
BHPian

Its always amazing how an 8 year old car can raise so many hackles even today.

I have always found the Palios and Petras to be extremely well organised ergonomically. I have never felt so at ease in any other car, right from the word go. The only thing I would change in my Petra is to move the steering wheel closer to me. The pedal position is very comfortable (size 10 shoes here) except that there could have been some more room at the left of the clutch pedal. Hand controls are all so close that you can reach most things without moving your elbows too far from the body. There is economy of movement. Everything is so neatly placed, you tend to become lazy driving a Fiat.

The OHC seats were a lot lower, and I remember feeling a trifle uncomfortable about judging the front left side distance. That is something I did not feel with the Petra.

But the comparison here is with the Swift, and while the Swift seating position felt comfortable and the size of the steering wheel felt smaller and nicer, I preferred the non-power steering feel of the Petra to the too smooth almost slippery steering feel of the Swift.

Comfort, I guess we do not even need to discuss. The Swift seems to be designed to feel like a sports car. The Palio on the other hand, seems to be designed as a good car- comfortable to sit in, easy to drive, and capable of moving pretty fast. So, they are not exactly intended for the same target audience. They just cost slightly similar.
Old 14th March 2008, 01:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:
I am seriously wanting to test drive the 1.3 MJD tomorrow. I want to know if what Abhibh wrote holds true or not.
There is one more review posted
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post756879 (Palio 1.3 MJD Test Driven and Ripped.)

Almost as same as mine. And i will wait for your review cheers:
Old 14th March 2008, 01:29   #85

Wink Palio 1.3 MJD Vs Swift VDI

Hi I got a call from Vivek Auto, Karol Bag that the car is available for test drive. I have also been driving Swift Vdi of a friend hence wanted to compare.

First Impression: Nothing has changed in interiors of Palio since the yester years. So nothing to impress in that. Swift VDI , great interiors and probably the best placement of controls. one sad part FIAT is not providing immobiliser in any of its diesel variants

Drive: Could not feel much of a difference in power as compared to Swift. The engine is nice, since it was new a bit noisy but as you rev it the cabin noise goes down. Drive feel and handling is by far one of the best in the segment. Pick up is decent and onlce driving you do not feel it is a diesel. Power is more uniform as compared to swift probably to do with the gearbox. The car drove like a baby and acceleration was good. good handling and drive in traffic conditions. Less gear shifts and the gear change was smooth, not as smooth as of the Swift.

The drive feel and the comfort is far more and the car is one up as a family car as it feels more secure. There is more legroom and storage space as compared to the Swift and drives nearly as good as the swift.

If one is ready to compromise on interiors for better drive feel and comfort. Palio is certainly the best buy in this segment. It looks great and should be comfortable on long drives.
Disappointments: No Airbags, No ABS and not so good pricing Just 20K cheaper. The on Road price of the car is 520000 for SDX whereas Swift VDI is at 540000(with a 2 months waiting). Well in size shape and comfort one should ideally compare the Palio with a Getz as Swift feels a bit cramped.

Overall it is worth but would have been more had it been with ABS and Airbags at the same price.
Old 14th March 2008, 01:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:
Pray, someone is already working on adding a turbo to the Palio - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/747393-post242.html . I am going to be the raju mechanic of this project. Getting all the work done from fabricators on instructions by the person in concern above.
I'm going to watch this very closely. I find it hard to believe the Palio 1.6 has zero overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Next time you need one, give me a shout I saw at least 15 in stock yesterday.
Baba, this was 3 years ago. Before Tata entered the picture, when spares were worth their wait and weight in gold.
Old 14th March 2008, 02:14   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm going to watch this very closely. I find it hard to believe the Palio 1.6 has zero overlap.
Why would someone print wrong info in the service manual? Lets take this offline. May be I am ruining this thread .
Old 14th March 2008, 02:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

This looks like a nice car,these things are built like tanks right .. so no rattles expectd?
Old 14th March 2008, 04:43   #89
BHPian

IMO, the palio MJD is a stop gap at best before FIAT launches the Linea and GP. The Palio is a generation past its prime (in carspeak). Methinks it would be prudent to wait for the newer generation FIATs which are far more contemporary, the GP almost single-handedly pulled the company out of the doldrums in Europe.

FIAT might have been better off hedging its bets and launching those cars when they were ready instead of flogging a half-dead horse with the new MJD for what will most definitely be dismal sales figures. Unless they know something I don't and are using the Palio as a test platform or something.
Old 14th March 2008, 06:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

@moralfibre : This is the first time i am hearing someone say that the Getz CRDi has a higher NVH . The NVH are impressive . Read the other two ownership reports from our TBhpians of Getz CRDi . I have driven the TD of the car.
Closed Thread