Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2008, 08:11   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Like I said, I tell it like it is. The Palio, when it was launched, was a wonderful car. The 100 bhp 1.6 still is, in many respects. The 1.2 was a sore disappointment, the saving grace being the induction note post 3k rpm. The 1.2 NV was no better, and the 1.1 was and is absolutely useless as anything more than a school pick-up mobile.

I've seen these cars up close, and I respect them for what they are. Would I like to take a nice 1.6 GTX with some mods and good rubber out for a night on town? Hell yeah! Would I like to own one? No chance.
I own a 1.1 SLX and do not appreciate you comment of this being a school pick-up mobile. You comments in the next paragraph make it very clear that while you will willingly take a modded gtx (with someone else paying for the mods) for a night out, you do not have the guts to own one.

Would appreciate if you can substantiate your school mobile statement. Just compare with other available 1.1 hatches and then make your statement.

While we commoners may not be as knowledgeable about automobiles as you, we do love our cars and are proud of them.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 14th March 2008, 08:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushdeep View Post
Well in size shape and comfort one should ideally compare the Palio with a Getz.
Exxactly. And where does the price difference stand here.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:04   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
these things are built like tanks right .. so no rattles expectd?
binz, who said tanks don't rattle ?

While NVH, ride, handling, etc can be compared across cars, this ergonomics thing IMO is just individual opinion. We get a car, drive it, get used to it and feel that it is the best in seating position, comfort etc. If we had instead bought another brand, we would have the same thing to say about it too.

My daily drive is a Baleno, which according to me is most ergonomical. When I drive my Dad's Swift occasionally, I find that I am not able to arrive at a comfortable seating position. The high seating, which allows easy ingress/egress actually unnerves me. But ask any Swift owner and they would not have any such issues.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:42   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While NVH, ride, handling, etc can be compared across cars, this ergonomics thing IMO is just individual opinion. We get a car, drive it, get used to it and feel that it is the best in seating position, comfort etc. If we had instead bought another brand, we would have the same thing to say about it too.
Not really, if you read Amit's post, he has compared Palio's ergonomics with SX4 sedan, and Moralfibre had compared it with Getz, and Palio certainly scores on this front too.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:46   #95
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
I own a 1.1 SLX and do not appreciate you comment of this being a school pick-up mobile. You comments in the next paragraph make it very clear that while you will willingly take a modded gtx (with someone else paying for the mods) for a night out, you do not have the guts to own one.

Would appreciate if you can substantiate your school mobile statement. Just compare with other available 1.1 hatches and then make your statement.

While we commoners may not be as knowledgeable about automobiles as you, we do love our cars and are proud of them.
I too agree with you on this! i too own palio 1.1 SLX model, i am also not able to understand what doest that school van comment mean??

every car has it good points and bad points, so why don't we take them all as they are?

you guys tell me is there any car which is PERFECT

i know there are lot's of people here who just LOVE to HATE FIAT!

but for me, this being a first car, i am happy with it with what ever features it provides!

cheers
vasant
Old 14th March 2008, 10:57   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Have you checked out the current resale value of a Palio diesel? If not please do.
OT: Is it holding up some value still? I am surprised. But I dont think I'll sell mine any time soon. I guess it'll last another zillion years with minimum maintainance.

ant_vas and other Palio 1.1 owners: I dont think you should take anyone's comment or opinions to heart. What matters is whether you are happy with the car or not.

Last edited by spadival : 14th March 2008 at 11:02.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

If you get into a new car and feel at home not just with the seating but also with controls, thats what ergonomics is.
For a user who drives only his car, it will always feel the best. You need to drive better ones to understand what good really is. (hop in a Honda any time from any car be it MB, BMW, volvo etc., you'll know).
Old 14th March 2008, 11:25   #98

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
OT: Is it holding up some value still? I am surprised. But I dont think I'll sell mine any time soon. I guess it'll last another zillion years with minimum maintainance.
When I was looking around for a Palio Diesel (before I came to know about MJD) last november, a 2003 (4 year old) palio D EL's asking rate was 3.0 lakhs, which was nearly 1L above its petrol avatar.

I heard very positive comments about the Diesel car from owners and mechanics. I'm hoping that the new MJD will only better that record.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:29   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
This looks like a nice car,these things are built like tanks right .. so no rattles expectd?
Quote:
binz, who said tanks don't rattle ?
Dear SupremeB and B, please take time and see what value you add to this thread rather than sitting down in your more comfortable office chairs after driving in your respective Baleno's that have a horrible looking front grill made in plastic that costs Rs. 5,600/- + VAT for the ugly version going upto Rs. 7,500/- for the ugliest version. I haven't been taking these comments personally so far but you have nothing much to contribute and are sitting back adding fuel to the fire invoking unwanted fights in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
@moralfibre : This is the first time i am hearing someone say that the Getz CRDi has a higher NVH . The NVH are impressive . Read the other two ownership reports from our TBhpians of Getz CRDi . I have driven the TD of the car.
Undead, I might not be taken seriously and a 7.5 km test drive I took can be one of the reasons that the engine did not come upto optimum running temperature etc. I am willing to take another test drive if my observations are opposite to what most users of these cars feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yes sir it is . Much more than the petrol but I think the initial buying costs were higher as well. And yes, you do not need to sell it off. I met one of the vice-presidents of Ingersoll Rand who used his Palio diesel to travel everywhere for business meetings be it Delhi, Kolkatta, Bangalore, or anywhere for that matter. He and his friend used to drive continuously without taking night halts one resting while the other drove and all. I drove his car after it had done 1,80,000 kms and I was in shock. He was on one clutch change, one set of suspension change, 4th set of tyres, 2nd battery and ONLY regular filters / oil / coolant change etc. Don't have much details but back then (a year ago) he was offered an Octavia 1.9 TDi which he did not take from the office. He bought a Petra 1.6 in 3 months after I met him and his Palio Diesel sold then for a whooping 3.5 lakhs. Just recently he got a Laura after trading off the Petra and he is happier but still swears by the Palio Diesel.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Guys!
This is a Palio MJD test drive thread.why are u ppl bringing in Balenos, Palio 1.1/1.6 and Getz P into this..??

I think all the comparisons should be done in the other thread created by gemithomas..

Last edited by kpzen : 14th March 2008 at 12:47.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:53   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Not really, if you read Amit's post, he has compared Palio's ergonomics with SX4 sedan, and Moralfibre had compared it with Getz, and Palio certainly scores on this front too.
You are just agreeing to what I said ie. we think our car is the best in ergonomics. These 2 gents have been using the Palio for long and naturally feel it to be the best - good for them and I am not saying they are wrong. But that does not mean that it is the final word in ergonomics. To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
driving in your respective Baleno's that have a horrible looking front grill made in plastic that costs Rs. 5,600/- + VAT. I haven't been taking these comments personally so far
Atleast the grill is available of the shelf if I want to replace it, which is not what can be said for the Palio spares, with waiting period, auctions and stuff etc .

And, BTW, you are free to take the comments whatever way you feel like, personally or otherwise.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
These 2 gents have been using the Palio for long and naturally feel it to be the best - good for them and I am not saying they are wrong.
The same can also be said about your location just below your avatar(No offense intended).
What I am trying to say is everybody has a right to give an opinion which might not be true always.

Lets stop targeting each other and leave this thread to be a place where people can share the experience they had after they test drove a Palio MJD.

Peace.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:52   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up
The same can also be said about your location just below your avatar(No offense intended).
No offense taken. You are right. It is the best city in the world, in my opinion. It does not mean that it would be the best for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up
Lets stop targeting each other and leave this thread to be a place where people can share the experience they had after they test drove a Palio MJD.
Mine was a general comment (not targetting any car) about how ergonomics can be a personal thing differing from individual to individual and difficult to compare on a common benchmark.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast the grill is available of the shelf if I want to replace it, which is not what can be said for the Palio spares, with waiting period, auctions and stuff etc .
Grille may be available, but it is still a horrible POS made from very thin easily breakable plastic - the kind you find in cheap chinese toys (Leaded or unleaded). I mean, it doesnt take much to break it. Mine already has a hairline crack, probably caused by an insect colliding with the grille .

On the other hand, the one on the Palio is quite sturdy, which translates to the fact that you rarely have to replace it, because, in the first place, it is hardly gonna break in case of a minor accident.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:15   #105
BHPian

Hi All,

Its of all, no offense..but i see the thread drifting away from the good Palio MJD and towards Getz, i10 and baleno

I just got a call from Fiat Head Office in Mumbai and they wanted to know if i had test driven the car as since last 2 months i was in touch with them. I asked him how come the 1.3 MJD had no ABS, re-worked interiors and the fetaures that the 1.6 sport had and he said they did that just to keep the cost down and will not launch a updated version of the palio with ABS and alloy wheels like the 1.6 sport.

He did mention that FIAT is keen to know more on Team-bhp.com and wants to know the areas at which they can or need to improve on as i mentioned about us[Team-bhp.com] so guys, post ur feedback as FIAT is now lending an ear to hear us

The Grande Punto will be launched in 7 months time and will be followed up with the Linea and bravo and 500.

Now, me in a fix, should i go for the Palio and comprimise on saftey aspect or forget the palio and book some other car!!!!

Will keep all updated as i get more information.

Regards,
Sajan
Closed Thread