Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2008, 14:25   #106
BHPian

There is definitely something to it when the launch of 5 Lac odd diesel hatch provokes such strong reactions on TBHP. That much is certain. May because its a Fiat, or that its a Palio, or that its a MJD. But a lot of expectation for sure.

I for one had not even looked at a Palio or a Fiat for that matter until recently. I had to do an emergency bangalore-chennai-bangalore dash on a borrowed palio 1.2 in the same day. Granted the design might be dated, or more importantly that that engine is not the most powerful or responsive on the highway. But there was something to that car definitely. Feel, comfort, safety? Whatever.. Imagine my surprise when i learnt the palio had not been serviced in almost a year. Mind you, the other cars with us are an OHC, Getz 1.3 and an 800.

Been following the palio threads out of curiosity since. Have decided to consider a fiat if my desired price, power, mileage balance is met. Am hoping this one might.

Lets face it, ppl looking at the stile mjd may not be in the same market segment to consider the punto or linea as and when they are launched. I believe these newer cars are in a different league; in terms of the price point, technology and design generation. Correct me if I am wrong.

The way I look at it, this vehicle is pitted against the swift for the engine, space and comfort against the getz, and, pricing somewhere around below either. I think we need more TD reviews of this hatch, especially from people who have extensively driven the swift diesel. And even the getz crdi. (Like geeksrik, anju etc.). This just might make for more personalised, realistic and detailed 'Comparisons'. No offence meant to other reviewers please. This is about the comparisons given. Each one's opinion adds to the overall picture after all.

In the mean time, lets restrict ourselves to the hatch under consideration?

Peace...
Old 14th March 2008, 14:43   #107
Senior - BHPian

For all those who fee that the Palio is past its prime, what exactly are you talking about? The shape is not bad at all, still looks better than quite a few other cars. The suspension is great, better than most recent cars, the engine is brand new, the gearbox is ok and better than quite a few other cars too. The rear is quite smart looking, the front even more so. The seats are very decent and the space very good.
The airconditioning is great, the brakes are great too.
Now the interiors are very old and I agree that its been around too long. The ergonomics are not spot on, but then some people like it, some don't.
My Sienna (1.7TD) is 9 years old and I have not touched the suspension, the clutch or the electricals. Of course I have done only 70K kms, but still!!
My personal opinion is that all this car needs is a change of dashboard to make it look great and IN!
To generalise, be dismissive and say that the Palio is past its prime is not fair to the car. What else is so different from the PALIO that FIAT sells in Europe?
I am satisfied with my Sienna and hence I have booked my Palio 1.3 SDX, black. I guess that for a person who used a 1st gen Palio for over 9 years, I should be able to judge, right? Specially cconsidering that I have a Safari, have driven the Swift diesel considerably, had almost decided to buy the Getz CRDI last week, after numerous test drives, even up to Kodaikanal.
However i do need to state one thing. My Sienna has been serviced at my private mechanics shed for the past 6 years and any parts to be replaced have been bought from the open market. Main expenditure has been a failed AC compressor and an electric fan.

Last edited by jyobeb : 14th March 2008 at 14:52.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:43   #108
BHPian

The (apparently) not so good gearbox of the Palio is confusing, when I TDed the Stile 1.1 I was thoroughly impressed with its gearbox, among other things; Is the gearbox different in the MJD?
Old 14th March 2008, 15:26   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

okay, now what - the mods need someone to actually use some proper swear words and then peace will reign? Hajaar natak is anyways happening here. Time for a cleanup - the boys need some tough lovin!
Old 14th March 2008, 15:39   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
The (apparently) not so good gearbox of the Palio is confusing, when I TDed the Stile 1.1 I was thoroughly impressed with its gearbox, among other things; Is the gearbox different in the MJD?
MJD develops a lot more torque than 1.1 Stile and so requires a bigger gearbox which has been borrowed from the now discontinued Palio 1.9 diesel. I've never driven a 1.9 and so can't comment on its box but Palio 1.2 as well as Adventure 1.6 gearboxes are top-notch, being smooth as well as precise.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Palio petrol has a very good gearbox, it is very long trow but still far better than swift gearbox ....

anyways when it comes to question of MJD or DDiS ..... i will take DDiS eyes closed because of service and wide spread netwrok of maruti but availability might be another deciding factor .....
Old 14th March 2008, 15:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands
I asked him how come the 1.3 MJD had no ABS, re-worked interiors
I don't really care about the interiors or the alloy wheels ie. any cosmetic features on a car. But I find it odd that they did not give ABS & airbags in this age, atleast as options. Esp. because the Palio was supposed to be the first hatch to offer them ages ago (based on what I read on the forum).

Suzuki also discarded airbags on the Swift-D as if diesel car owner's life is not important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands
He did mention that FIAT is keen to know more on Team-bhp.com and wants to know the areas at which they can or need to improve on as i mentioned about us[Team-bhp.com]
You gave them feedback about ABS & stuff and what was their reply ? Keeping costs down. If they gave these as options, the cost still remains what it is now (for those that dont take it - ie. the majority) and will only affect the minority who opt for it. So, they could have done it, if they wanted.

They are welcome to get feedback from here, but what matters is whether they will apply this & lessons learnt from previous debacles. This is purely upto them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
but still far better than swift gearbox
Yep, the Swift-P's gearshift is crappy (like most Marutis).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th March 2008 at 15:48.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

okk.. If anyone else testing the MJD soon, can you check if the car stalls if the accelerator is not pressed when you move forward on first gear.

Also, from the TD info so far the gear ratios seem to be very similar to the 1.9. Thats one thing I liked about the 1.9 - gear ratios are well suited for a relaxed city driveablity, i.e. no frequent gear changes needed in heavy stop and go traffic.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:53   #114
BHPian

Surely. I agree with the above post by supremeBaleno.

They are coming up with fiat 500 which is a customisable car as some one else on this forum had enlightened me and they are not even offering them (ABS, alloys and stuff) as options in palio.

The MJD should be a rocker IMHO.
For the records I am a confessed Fiat Lover having driven / being driven in it a few times, it simply pampers u all the way and wherever u sit.

Last edited by motorheadinc : 14th March 2008 at 15:54.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:06   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yep, the Swift-P's gearshift is crappy (like most Marutis).
Absolute rubbish. Swift P's gearbox is one of the best in the bussiness.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:09   #116
BHPian

i personally fail to see anything wrong with the palio ergonomics. felt right at home since day 1. nothing out of the ordinary here.yes u do sit a tad lower but its a delight on the highways.more details abt the availability of the mags on the mjd pls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If you get into a new car and feel at home not just with the seating but also with controls, thats what ergonomics is.
For a user who drives only his car, it will always feel the best. You need to drive better ones to understand what good really is. (hop in a Honda any time from any car be it MB, BMW, volvo etc., you'll know).
if u talking abt the older city dude i could'nt agree more.if u ask me its a dream to drive.

Last edited by michael schume : 14th March 2008 at 16:10.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:09   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Absolute rubbish. Swift P's gearbox is one of the best in the bussiness.
then you don't know wat a good gearbox is .....
Old 14th March 2008, 16:10   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
May be you dont know the same.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You gave them feedback about ABS & stuff and what was their reply ? Keeping costs down. If they gave these as options, the cost still remains what it is now (for those that dont take it - ie. the majority) and will only affect the minority who opt for it. So, they could have done it, if they wanted.

They are welcome to get feedback from here, but what matters is whether they will apply this & lessons learnt from previous debacles. This is purely upto them.
Well, He gave me the same reply as i mentioned, to keep the costs down and then the same old canned response, i shall put this across to my higher officals/management.

One thing is clear, i dont expect any things to change for the palio. I will be suprised if they do listen to us and get ABS as an option. i hope they do FIAT if you are reading this

Regards,
Sajan
Old 14th March 2008, 16:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I own a 1.1 SLX and do not appreciate you comment of this being a school pick-up mobile. You comments in the next paragraph make it very clear that while you will willingly take a modded gtx (with someone else paying for the mods) for a night out, you do not have the guts to own one.

Would appreciate if you can substantiate your school mobile statement. Just compare with other available 1.1 hatches and then make your statement.

While we commoners may not be as knowledgeable about automobiles as you, we do love our cars and are proud of them.

Cheers,
Rajan
Hey Rajan, don't get all worked up. I've heard enough comments about the Baleno's ugly looks and that sad rear end, but it's ok. I love my car, and if you love yours, why should it matter what I think?

Yes, I don't have the guts to own a Palio, because they often leave you high and dry. They are not the most reliable, and their A.S.S. is pathetic. I know owners whose service stations have OVERFILLED oil, and blown gaskets as a result. I shudder to think of my car going to such 'professionals'. A car is an investment as much as it is a source of pleasure. You don't want your money and your pleasure to spend 20 days a month in a garage, do you? And trust me, the only time I have taken a modded GTX anywhere was when it was offered to me unconditionally, or when I was part of the team carrying out the mods.

No one is born knowledgeable about anything, and I don't claim to be any more so than you. I base my opinions on facts and figures as reported in the media, and my firsthand experiences.

As for substantiating my claims, I once started a thread based on nothing but facts. Here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-1-why-16.html (Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 - WHY?)

In the end, if you're happy that you spent 4.xx or 5.xx lakhs on your car, why worry about what I say? You made the decision and the purchase to make yourself happy, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Well I know what a good gearbox is, and trust me, the Swift certainly feels it. Coming from a Baleno/Esteem, you could swear the Swift has a short shifter installed.
Closed Thread