Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st March 2008, 12:11   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Went to competent motors in moti nagar delhi. Waiting Line was there for TD of DzIre ZDi. Finally When My Turn came, This guy in red shirt took me into the car and started to tell me about the car a bit.

When I drove the car, my initial reaction was its good. I havent driven a Swift Before so this car was like good. Tall and good driving position. Me being 6'2" had to push the seat back fully. So the guy behind me was like crunched. Ie. THe leg space is too small. The boot space was good enough. The handling was good. The braking was good, One could feel safe with ABS. The music system was good. Even the air-con was good.

Now comes the sad part. I asked the guy on the 0-100 kmph speed, mileage. He returned me figures of 6 sec and 25.

I told him even the fastest Indian Production car ( Stock vRs ) had around 8.5 Secs. and the SX4 around 10-11 secs. He still said it is 6 sec. Damn man. He told me a waiting time of 6 months on any variant. With Executives like this and waiting time this long, I think it will be a let down and people will shift to other options.

P.S. The white colour looks good and so does the front grille and the boot lip and tail lights.

You should have checked with the manager there. i am sure that salesperson didn't have his facts right. A waiting period of 6 months is out of question.
Nakul Kishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 12:21   #242
Senior - BHPian

One thing peculiar in this car (and in SX4 also), is the really high rear head rests..
It seems to block almost half of the rear view and for me it would be too difficult to drive with such partial rear vision.
But then, In most of our city driving, who needs rear-view or side-view anyways..???
If you have 50% of front-view, thats sufficient for ploughing through...!!!

Overall nice report and first-to-print pctures too...

Congratulations...
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 13:23   #243
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Yesterday visited Spectra Motors at Goregaon. I am looking at a diesel car as the running has increased oo much (5.5 k in 3 months of 2008).

On display was the blue VDi. For the first time I liked the blue from Maruti.
I expected my visit would involve lot of waiting time, but to my surprise there were not many who were waiting for TD (May be afternoon time was perfect)

I am interested in ZDi so did not pay much attention to VDi. I found the rear leg space just sufficient for me after front seat position at extream. The fabric to be frank did not look upmarket and would need a good seat covers. The boot looked too much elevated so one definately needs parking sensors installed. No electric mirrors, I think this has been done to keep the premium interiors with SX4.

There was ZDi for TD. Adjusted the seat height and took the vehicle for a spin. I found the Dzire silent than the Fusion+ Diesel which I TDed on Wednesday. The turbo kick is evident at 2k RPM. The car gets pulled effortlessly. The climate cotrol was on Auto. The AC was cooling perfectly. I may be wrong but found the integrated stereo effective than SX4 although its the same as SX4. May be something to do with the lesser cabin space so more effective. I will not mention anything about the ABS and EBD. We all know this from ZXi already.

Dzire is still on JK 185 / 70. The alloy design has been modified by adding fillets on the edges.

In all find this package to be VFM. I am looking forward to book one.

The sales details from the sales person were surprising. As per him, there are not many takers for ZDi . There are lots for VDi. The waiting period for ZDi has been told as 4 to 5 weeks. He mentioned till now he has booked 30 to 40 DZires dominated by VDi.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 14:17   #244
Senior - BHPian

@firebird.... I drove it yesterday, the ZDi and the engine was a dissapointment. Turbo in the Dzire kicks in very late, around 2200-2300 rpm not 2000 rpm as you say. I dont know what Maruti has done with the engine, the performance and the sprightly nature of the Hatch just isnt there. I would have loved if they had left the engine as it is from Swift Hatch.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 14:23   #245
BHPian

Well....for me it did not make any difference as I have not driven swift D that much....but the Turbo kick was at 2000ish rpm...so well can be as you saying....

If you see the package (leave the engine option apart)...ZDi looks good compared to Verna VGT ABS (not SX ABS) and Fiesta / Fusion.

I know that Dzire cannot be compared to Verna / Fiesta as they are in C segment premium.

The punch line is its VFM at 7.60 OTR mumbai for me and my requirement .
Old 31st March 2008, 17:00   #246
BHPian

Went to the showroom of Sai Service at Phoenix Mills today and saw a white dzire clad with 205 Yoko S drives and black deep dish rims with chrome lips. Looked hot.
Unfortunately i dint take any pictures. Will take them the next time i visit.

Only disappointment i had with the car was the flimsy build quality which clearly shows when you shut the boot. And those boot hinges protrude like crazy into the boot when shut so it completely rips the entire reason for having a boot as the hinges take up most of the space.

EDIT: I found pics of the same rims. These are the ones on a white dzire.
Name:  Deep dish.JPG
Views: 7687
Size:  19.6 KB

Last edited by Xehaust : 31st March 2008 at 17:10.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 21:36   #247
F50
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is the Dzire, Xehaust was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzire - Short test drive and some pictures-01042008061.jpg  

F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 21:42   #248
BHPian

Thats the one F50
Guess you liked it as much as i did
Looks cool, in fact, the picture doesnt do justice, you have to see it for real.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:47   #249
BHPian

Is that silky siver or the light effects have altered the white colour?

Whatever it may be but that looks cool...

And how much extra they would be charging.....might be 40K?
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:50   #250
Senior - BHPian

i don't believe that i am saying this but that dezire looks hot, that pearlescent paint looks fabulous if only it was available in Palio :( ...... go maruti go
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:27   #251
BHPian

If Swift owners correctly recall, the stock tyres on Swift Lxi & Vxi (JK Tornado) look quiet thin for its bulky rear.

I saw dzire and was shocked to see the same tyres in Dzire Vxi. The tyres look so ugly, I cant explain. The 'thinning effect' had magnified three times as the Dzire's rear is heavier than Swift.
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:38   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Went to the showroom of Sai Service at Phoenix Mills today and saw a white dzire clad with 205 Yoko S drives and black deep dish rims with chrome lips. Looked hot.
Unfortunately i dint take any pictures. Will take them the next time i visit.

Only disappointment i had with the car was the flimsy build quality which clearly shows when you shut the boot. And those boot hinges protrude like crazy into the boot when shut so it completely rips the entire reason for having a boot as the hinges take up most of the space.

EDIT: I found pics of the same rims. These are the ones on a white dzire.
Attachment 4839
I think all the cars have got the boot hinges similar to this and why should it completely rip the entire purpose of the boot.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:00   #253
Senior - BHPian

Boot hinges protrude into the cargo area in most of the cars. But, how far the hinges are from the body (lateral direction) limit the use the space. If the boot lid itself is smaller compared to the width of the trunk (the top of the trunk might be closed by a curved area on the top), then it limits the space since the hinges are closer to each other.
I dont know how much cost is saved by not using a gas filled damper type of hinge.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:14   #254
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues is on the lookout for an economical diesel and he was interested in DZire. So, when he mooted the idea of test driving it, I readily agreed to accompany him. One other colleague of mine also accompanied us. We visited Mandovi Motors in Lavalle Road sometime in the evening.

Good things about DZire:
-------------------
1. Interiors are lively. They are not dull as in my Palio.
2. Engine is a beauty. The push you get in any gear (I could only go to 3rd gear, thanks to the traffic in Bangalore and the queue that was lined up for the test drive) after the rpm crosses 2K is to be experienced to be believed. I have always revved up my Palio 1.2 to dizzy rpms to get it to do something. I have no experience of driving any diesel car, sans a 3 km test drive of non-turbo Indica V2 dsl two years ago. The moment I revved the engine up, I was not expecting that kind of push and it really delighted me. I just loved the engine.
3. The gear ratios are just about perfect. Below 2K rpm in 1 and 2, the car can just be ambled along to keep up with the traffic. All hell breaks loose once 2K is crossed. 1 is not ridiculously tall like in Palio. I should not be comparing dsl and petrol cars here, but I can't help.
4. Driving position is good and visibility is as good or bad as my Palio.
5. It has got a good turning radius. Ask me what it means to have high turning radius!
6. Brakes with ABS are really good, with a good bite.
7. NVH levels are of good quality. I did not feel that it was a diesel car. However, I could feel the vibrations on the clutch.

Things I did not like:
----------------
1. Steering feel: After getting used to Palio's steering, DZire's EPS does not really impress me. There is no feel of the car and the road conditions within the 10:10 position. Saving grace is that the steering is not ultra sensitive. At least, you do not end up constantly correcting yourself. Because of the lack of feedback from the steering, I really could not judge how well it handles.
2. Interior space is a big let down; especially the rear seat.
3. How can I forget the rear. I do not desire this DZire because of the strange and bulbuous looking rear. I do not know how to describe the rear, but the moment I saw that, I took my eyes away from the car. Initially, from the pics, I thought that the rear is good, but the front is not, but after looking at the car in flesh, I have the exact opposite opinion. This is one car that looks better in pics than in flesh. This is my opinion and is the biggest let down for me.

The car had run all of 700 kms, but there was a rattle from the front left door. But this is a test car and all sorts of people might have driven it, so, I do not want to base my opinion on the build quality of the car on this rattle. I give the car a benefit of doubt.

All in all, if I were to be looking out for this car, I would not buy it, as there are a lot of things in this car which I do not like. But, there are some good things too.

PS: I overheard a conversation in Kannada yesterday soon after the test drive. "Saar Maruti car test drive maadodu beke aagilla. Kannu mucchikondu tegedukondu bida bahudu". (You do not need to test drive a Maruti car. You can close your eyes and buy it).
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:36   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post

PS: I overheard a conversation in Kannada yesterday soon after the test drive. "Saar Maruti car test drive maadodu beke aagilla. Kannu mucchikondu tegedukondu bida bahudu". (You do not need to test drive a Maruti car. You can close your eyes and buy it).
Does it mean, you dont have to even see it..!!! Anyways, with Maruti, it is WYGIWYG...!!!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote