Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th January 2009, 13:43   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
May be due to air filter but last time i couldn't get it changed due to it's non-availability at Elegant Cars. I am now waiting for the fourth service.
Did you change the Fuel Filter at 15k kms Service? The manual recommends change at 15k, but Elegant guys say that one can manage it till 22.5 k kms, as with the 1.9D. I believe the more sensitive CRDi makes it necessary to keep a shorter service interval for fuel filter replacement.

Last edited by architect : 13th January 2009 at 13:44.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 15:29   #152
BHPian

Default Palio MJD completed 4000 KM and 2nd Service

My Red Palio MJD SD has become smoother after the 2nd service with less engine noise and better pickup,gear shifts have become smoother as well with less effort,clutch has become lighter as well .

I got my rear wind shield brake light replaced under warranty as it broke by Prerana Motors ASC OMR center,great service by the Tata's flat in 3 hours.

With a good ICE setup like mine :Pioneer 50505 HU+JBL Comp Front+JBL oval Rear you will ignore that extra diesel engine noise.
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:39   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Did you change the Fuel Filter at 15k kms Service? The manual recommends change at 15k, but Elegant guys say that one can manage it till 22.5 k kms, as with the 1.9D. I believe the more sensitive CRDi makes it necessary to keep a shorter service interval for fuel filter replacement.
Yeah..fuel filter was changed.
Still 2.5 K to go for fourth service..this time i am planning to go to HIM motors for service....just 2 km from my home...god bless me
vikasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

Default 16,000 km (3rd Free) Service update

Well, the kilometres have just flown by and the last trip to Khajuraho delayed my service which was supposed to happen at 15,000 km. I wasn't particularly worried about the delay because of an interim oil change at 11,000 kms.

This was a major service and here is a list of things done:

Scheduled Service Jobs:
Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter.
Change Air Filter.
Change Fuel Filter.
Wheel balancing done for the second time (first was at 7500 kms) besides the usual alignment, rotation etc.
Washing and Cleaning.
Other checks for all fluids etc.

Extra Stuff:
Headlamp focussing for high beam (I had rarely used high beam before the last trip).
Squeaking sounds from boot hatch rubber beading.
Upholstery Cleaning.
Vibrations from AC console at low RPM (picking up from idle). Not too loud or irritating though.

Costs:
It was a free service but the bill was Rs 3,559/-.

About a thousand rupees each for Fuel Filter and Engine Oil, four hundred for oil filter and the balance for Air Filter, Upholstery Cleaning and taxes.

Apart from the additional Service at 11,000 kms and the extra oil change at 1,000 kms, I have spent about Rs 6,000 for scheduled services. That makes it about 40 paise per kilometre, including wheel alignement charges.

As all the consummables have to paid for in any case, I guess the additional costs will be only be for labour from now on. This should be an indicator for other owners.

Service Experience
As I have grown to expect from Elegant Cars a.k.a Samyak, all jobs were carried out to satisfaction. I had confirmed the availability of all three filters before the service appointment as very few Multijets have reached the point where the Fuel Filters and Air Filters need to be changed.

The disappearance of the squeaking sounds has its history in a typical thoughtless move by Vivek Automobiles, they had taped the pivots of the parcel rack to increase its thickness. That had stopped it from rattling but also made it project too much out of its slot, making it rub against the boot hatch and create squeaks. I was blaming the rubber beading for it all along.

The last problem of the AC console is being attributed to the loose clips. That is the second factory defect in this car, the first being the boot hatch lock that has been replaced under warranty. But opening the dashboard would have taken another hour, so I have put it off for another day. Actually I intend to get the grey plastic of the SDE version dashboard painted black in the near future. That's when the AC console will have to be fixed.

However, for now, I have a noiseless car except for 1000-1300 RPM.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:47   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Review and the cost per km (maintenance cost) being 40 paise per km is one of the most affordable.

Good to see the MJDs munching miles. Hope Fiat makes improvements in their *** the same way.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 15:17   #156
BHPian

Default Oil change

I changed the engine oil in my Palio MJD on 3 Jan at around 7900 km. It was the second service. The work was done by Concorde, Hyderabad. In their bill the cost of oil is mentioned Rs. 113/lt. Now when I read observations in this thread I find that the cost of oil I paid is much less than what others mentioned. I have a doubt now: have the workshop guys put the right oil? When I asked them at the time of service the mechanic told me they use Fiat recommended oil. Can someone share some light on this?
The oil filter too was changed for Rs. 390.
Thanks.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:35   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
In their bill the cost of oil is mentioned Rs. 113/lt. Now when I read observations in this thread I find that the cost of oil I paid is much less than what others mentioned. I have a doubt now: have the workshop guys put the right oil?
Oil prices have risen suddenly over the past few months. My Service Centre used Pennzoil (I think) as "Fiat recomended oil". This time they used Mobil Super recommended by Tata.

Regarding the "right" oil, it does not seem possible that they have used oil meant for Petrol engines, because even the prices of those oils have risen by the same amount. Hell, even filling up my bike engine oil is expensive now.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:42   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
Yeah..fuel filter was changed.
Still 2.5 K to go for fourth service..this time i am planning to go to HIM motors for service....just 2 km from my home...god bless me
I have a short experience with Him Motors... I went all the way to get a right ORVM because of non-availability elsewhere. Fiat .

They seemed efficient and courteous. They did a "Hawa-Pani" wash complimentary and gave me a "Test-Drive" after the job to check the mirror. They have also sold lots of Fiats (lots by Fiat standards) and service all of them.

Why I wouldn't go there is because they are too far and they do not allow customers on shop floors.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:37   #159
BHPian

Default Rattling issues with Palio MJD - Badly need your help.

I have a mint white Palio SDX MJD.

For first service I had gone to Concorde but was not impressed and satisfied with their servicing.

Then I moved to Green Tracks. I did not wait for the second service to get some rattling noises fixed. Majority of them were fixed by green tracks but 2 of them are bugging me till now even after 2nd service and 2 more trips to Green tracks after 2nd service.

1. Rattling noise that come from the boot. I checked hatch lock - it is not defected as was the case with some guys. I had even removed the parcel tray from my car but it did not help. Green tracks guys worked on this issue around 3 times (1 time specifically on this issue) but they are unable to solve it. This noise is a kind of niggling sound that comes from the part just above the oil tank and behind the rear speaker assembly on the driver side. Please note that I dont have music system installed on this car. This sound is so annoying that I literally started giving a second thought on the fact that why I had gone for Palio. Whether I drive slow or fast , if the road is slightly uneven then this noise comes.

2. Second big issue - Squeaking noise of the front car seats. Very annoying and unbearable. So many times I had gone to GreenTracks to get rid of it. Everytime I hear that we have done the oiling and tightened the screws, the sound should go after some time . How much time ?? years.

Please guys if you have solution to these issues then let me know. If you feel that there is other service centre in Bangalore that can solve these issues promptly, please do let me know because Babu has also told me that they have already done their best. Going again and again to the same guys is not the solution.

Real Shocker :- During one of the trip of my car to the Green Tracks, I got a beautiful gift -- 3 small sized but little bit deep scratches. And above that the guys who did it have put touch up paint on it. Had a full fight with Green Tracks. Finally they have done a proper paint on that part without extra cost . But I was very upset after that incident. I was trusting these guys blindly so did not check my car for scratches on the same day. After 2 days when I was washing my car then I found out. So be very careful. Green Track people keep on arguing but I was adamant because being a lover of my car, I wash it by myself, take it to the service centre myself and take care of it properly. So there is no way that apart from the Service Centre guys anyone else can do it.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 12:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

Check under the wheel arch. Maybe the shocks are hitting something when you go over bad roads. try shaking the car at standstill and see if you can hear the sound. Are you sure its not the number plate rattling. THats been the case with most.

About the seats. Well..not sure if anything could be done. Its those springs that must be making that squeak.

The best solution is to install a good music system
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 12:55   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post

For first service I had gone to Concorde but was not impressed and satisfied with their servicing.

Then I moved to Green Tracks. I did not wait for the second service to get some rattling noises fixed. Majority of them were fixed by green tracks but 2 of them are bugging me till now even after 2nd service and 2 more trips to Green tracks after 2nd service.

1. Rattling noise that come from the boot. I checked hatch lock - it is not defected as was the case with some guys. I had even removed the parcel tray from my car but it did not help. Green tracks guys worked on this issue around 3 times (1 time specifically on this issue) but they are unable to solve it. This noise is a kind of niggling sound that comes from the part just above the oil tank and behind the rear speaker assembly on the driver side. Please note that I dont have music system installed on this car. This sound is so annoying that I literally started giving a second thought on the fact that why I had gone for Palio. Whether I drive slow or fast , if the road is slightly uneven then this noise comes.

2. Second big issue - Squeaking noise of the front car seats. Very annoying and unbearable. So many times I had gone to GreenTracks to get rid of it. Everytime I hear that we have done the oiling and tightened the screws, the sound should go after some time . How much time ?? years.

Please guys if you have solution to these issues then let me know.
Hi !

Was just wondering, do you have those art leather seat covers? If yes, then they are the ones which make all kind of noises, its basically the noise generated due to friction between the two sheets of art leather.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 14:26   #162
BHPian

Quote:

Please guys if you have solution to these issues then let me know. If you feel that there is other service centre in Bangalore that can solve these issues promptly, please do let me know because Babu has also told me that they have already done their best. Going again and again to the same guys is not the solution.

Real Shocker :- During one of the trip of my car to the Green Tracks, I got a beautiful gift -- 3 small sized but little bit deep scratches. And above that the guys who did it have put touch up paint on it. Had a full fight with Green Tracks. Finally they have done a proper paint on that part without extra cost . But I was very upset after that incident. I was trusting these guys blindly so did not check my car for scratches on the same day. After 2 days when I was washing my car then I found out. So be very careful. Green Track people keep on arguing but I was adamant because being a lover of my car, I wash it by myself, take it to the service centre myself and take care of it properly. So there is no way that apart from the Service Centre guys anyone else can do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hi !

Was just wondering, do you have those art leather seat covers? If yes, then they are the ones which make all kind of noises, its basically the noise generated due to friction between the two sheets of art leather.
I and Service guys have checked for Number Plate rattling noise.
That is not the cause of the problem.

Yes I do have a custom fit Art Leather seat covers and this squeaking sound started coming after this was added to my car. I thought it is due to loose screw/nut or spring that custom fitting guys have not dealt with properly. Thanks for letting me know that.

Even experienced guys like Babu is not able to rectify these 2 issues. But yea he told me that lot of new Palio guys are coming up to them and complains about seat squeaking noise, so probably the culprit might not be the Art leather seat cover.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 20:19   #163
BHPian

Quote:
For issue 1, In my case the hatch lock was loose and hence a lot of noise was coming. I had to tighten the screws 2-3 times till some good mechanic tightened it and now it's fine for the last 4K kms

For issue2, i do hear some squeaks but i am not sure....i guess it's from the steering or brake.....my fourth service is due next weekend....need to check and will get back

Now interesting part=> After my last service, i don't find the wooden ply that is their above the spare wheel...god bless and i noticed it after 5 Km of third service.
Also the back seats falls if i apply sharp brakes.....i guess the latches are covered by seat covers...i am too lazy to check
vikasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 22:25   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have the exact same rattle.. rear around where the speaker slot is. no one was able to trace what exactly is rattling. do post back if you find a fix. when the car is stopped i cant find anything at all that is loose and could cause the noise.

i also had the squeaky front seat but that went off after getting it oiled during service.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 01:01   #165
Senior - BHPian

Default Guide to Sounds / Squeaks / Rattles on the Palio Stile.

Oh boy... this is the official rattles thread for Palio Stile now... and the Swift / SX4 owners will pounce on this one .

Here's my experience with various sounds in the car, and some solutions:

1. Boot Hatch / Lock: Boot hatch lock (U-shaped) on the bumper becomes loose due to a defective spot weld. Got replaced under warranty (costs some 150-odd bucks). Happened to my Palio in 6 months of usage and the Alto in 8 months, so I don't know whether it's Fiat specific or other owners cars have it too.

Most important symptom of this (apart from rattling sounds, of course) is that there is a "play" in the boot door even after it is locked. Once this is replaced, the boot hatch needs a heavier hand to shut it.

2. Parcel Tray: Some sounds from Parcel Tray on bad roads which were quite bearable. In an effort to solve them, some smart chap at Vivek Auto taped the pivot. Then the parcel tray started squeaking by rubbing against the boot hatch.

Lesson: Let the Parcel Tray make SOME sounds but don't mess about with the pivot / pivot holder slot. If required, add an MDF backing to it.

3. Other Objects in the Boot: Jam the Warning Triangle (Red plastic box) under the rear seat. No sounds now.

Check the tool box carefully and fix it tightly. If you are fortunate to have a toolbox delivered with 2 items missing (damn Vivek Automobiles), it will be better. I have added my Pulsar toolkit to the car tool kit and it's much better than any car manufacturer's toolkit.

4. Rear Seat: Everytime my car gets serviced / washed, the rear seat back is loose. This problem is compounded because the seat covers add thickness to the seat back and that means you need more force to slot the seat back correctly. Check for that one.

5. Rear Seat Belts: The seat belt hooks sometimes rattles very faintly against the plastic "stopper" (looks like a round button) on the belt itself. No solution for that.

The middle passenger seat belts rattles against the clasp (where the belts are meant to go inside and lock). Stretch the middle seat belt away from the seat back and let it hang loose in front of the rear bench. Solved.

6. Front Seat: The springs of the driver's seat squeaks. The rotary knob adjuster seats of the old Palio were better. The lever type is useless and squeaks. No solution so far.

However, by greasing the rails and the sliders, sounds have reduced. Make sure the seats are locked properly.

7 . Seat Covers: I have art leather seat covers and they squeak, especially when I wear a plastic / leather jacket. The day I clean it with upholstery spray, it squeaks even more. No solution, except getting genuine leather seat covers or fabric ones.

8. A C Console (1000-1200 RPM only): It's a resonating vibration which happens when car is picking up from idle, without using the clutch. Either its my driving or some clip is loose, needs to be checked. Planning to get the grey dashboard (SDE version) painted black. Will do it then. Maybe its the stereo HU.

9. Belt noises: Start the car, let it idle. Open the bonnet and hear the engine. Occassionally, one can hear the "Flup-flup" of the belts. I don't think it's important as it disappears on it's own.

10. Steering wheel squeaks while turning with indicator on. No solution, and haven't tried solving it yet. It's been going on for 10,000 kms now. Doesn't affect as it's too minor a sound.

I guess that's the lot for me. I hope this helps. While all this may sound too many, except for no. 6, 7, 8 & 10, all the others have gone. When I take a bad road, all I can hear is the tyres and the suspension. I am happy. No. 8 is a very rare occurrence, no 10 is barely noticeable. No.6 & 7 I have to live with, I guess.

Last edited by architect : 11th February 2009 at 01:08.