Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th February 2009, 01:21   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The best solution is to install a good music system
Come on Gemi !! you are a tbhpian. Bring out a solution not a jugaad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

6. Front Seat: The springs of the driver's seat squeaks. The rotary knob adjuster seats of the old Palio were better. The lever type is useless and squeaks. No solution so far.

However, by greasing the rails and the sliders, sounds have reduced. Make sure the seats are locked properly.

7 . Seat Covers: I have art leather seat covers and they squeak, especially when I wear a plastic / leather jacket. The day I clean it with upholstery spray, it squeaks even more. No solution, except getting genuine leather seat covers or fabric ones.

Funny problem

8. A C Console (1000-1200 RPM only): It's a resonating vibration which happens when car is picking up from idle, without using the clutch. Either its my driving or some clip is loose, needs to be checked. Planning to get the grey dashboard (SDE version) painted black. Will do it then. Maybe its the stereo HU.

Does it happen in all gears or only 4th/5th?

9. Belt noises: Start the car, let it idle. Open the bonnet and hear the engine. Occassionally, one can hear the "Flup-flup" of the belts. I don't think it's important as it disappears on it's own.

10. Steering wheel squeaks while turning with indicator on. No solution, and haven't tried solving it yet. It's been going on for 10,000 kms now. Doesn't affect as it's too minor a sound.

I guess that's the lot for me. I hope this helps. While all this may sound too many, except for no. 6, 7, 8 & 10, all the others have gone. When I take a bad road, all I can hear is the tyres and the suspension. I am happy. No. 8 is a very rare occurrence, no 10 is barely noticeable. No.6 & 7 I have to live with, I guess.
If u sum up, all the main interior parts are rattling....
Hats off to your patience i would have gone bonkers if i had 10 different types of rattling issues with a 10 month old car... Good luck...

Last edited by kpzen : 11th February 2009 at 01:23.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 09:12   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
Now interesting part=> After my last service, i don't find the wooden ply that is their above the spare wheel
I just rushed to the basement after reading this.

Guys my MJD SDX doesnt have any wooden ply, now where has mine gone.

If i now try to recall the delivery day, i think it was not there even at that time and i even asked the sales agent about it and he said that this how it is, that is it does not come with wooden ply.

Need some light on this guys.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 09:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Come on Gemi !! you are a tbhpian. Bring out a solution not a jugaad.
Kp-jee... didnt you read the paragraph just above that. As i have always said FIAT has compromised a lot on the " St er il iz e d " version(oh! yeah. its Pun intended). The only permanent solution is what i mentioned. But still the i wont complain since its real VFM and with the 1.6 engine it is still one of the best hatches if you want comfort, performance and composure.

OT: No tvm plans?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 10:44   #169
BHPian

HI,
My car had clocked 13000km. Recently I could hear some rattles from the tail gate when driven on rough roads , so I checked the parcel tray , the hinges , lock,etc., but couldn't figure out from where the noise came. Then I started tapping the tailgate brake light housing and the culprit was there. I took the car to a nearby auto electrician , asked him to remove the housing and refit it. there was a small crack on it and this caused it to vibrate on the glass.. the electrician used glue to fix the crack and then fixed it back. Now the car is rattle free.

*PS: Can anybody tell me the exact air pressure for the tires? I usually put 25 psi. Is this ok as there is no load in the car ,except for me in the driver seat ..
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 11:32   #170
BHPian

Check Owners Manuel for the tire pressure but i think 25psi is too low,
Am keeping 30Psi in my Palio,
for your kind of load you can keep 28psi.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 11:33   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If u sum up, all the main interior parts are rattling....
Hats off to your patience i would have gone bonkers if i had 10 different types of rattling issues with a 10 month old car... Good luck...
Entirely depends on what your definition of a rattle is. Most of the people (passengers, friends, parents) to whom I point out these sounds don't even hear them. Maybe I am nitpicking. And by way of comparison, a 1 yr old Alto (the other car in the family) rattles like crazy. A 5-yr old Wagon R and Indica are much, much worse.

The AC console making sounds in 4th / 5th gear could be an issue with my way of driving (who drives at 1000 RPM on 4th gear? I do at times.)

The seat springs squeaking is a problem. Maybe I will get it replaced in warranty.

The steering wheel squeaking when the indicators are switched on is mistifying, to be honest.

If there are some compromises with the squeaking seat I am okay with that. The build quality of the body and suspension doesn't seem to be too bad, especially seeing the roads (and at the speeds I have maintained on those roads) I have subjected the car to in Madhya Pradesh. The number of times I have hit the kerb with my front / rear bumper, I couldn't have expected much better on any other car in its class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Guys my MJD SDX doesnt have any wooden ply, now where has mine gone.
No plywood cover over spare wheel in my car. Only carpet.

Quote:
As i have always said FIAT has compromised a lot on the " St er il iz e d " version(oh! yeah. its Pun intended). The only permanent solution is what i mentioned. But still the i wont complain since its real VFM and with the 1.6 engine it is still one of the best hatches if you want comfort, performance and composure.
If Maruti could have given me a Swift VDi in 15 days flat for Rs 60,000 - 65,000 lesser, I wouldn't have called this car "Value for money". Till that time, I don't have reason to complain. The newest kid on the block (Vista) is not exactly trouble free either, as I can gather from the Vista thread.

Last edited by architect : 11th February 2009 at 11:37.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 11:39   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
*PS: Can anybody tell me the exact air pressure for the tires? I usually put 25 psi. Is this ok as there is no load in the car ,except for me in the driver seat ..
The manual lists the tyre pressure in Bar. After conversion:
Light Load: 28 PSi
heavy load: 32 PSi
I maintain 30 which drops down to 28-29 PSi in about a week's time (which is my interval for checking it)
Old 11th February 2009, 11:54   #173
BHPian

Quote:
But still the i wont complain since its real VFM and with the 1.6 engine it is still one of the best hatches if you want comfort, performance and composure.

OT: No tvm plans?
I second that, Gemi!

Even though with the squeakin noise from the seats, some cheap plastic installs and other cheapo cost cutting measures, the 1.6 Stile in a 4.7L price with tubeless tires, FIAT alloys and as you mentioned "comfort, performance and composure" is a complete steal!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 23:22   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I have the exact same rattle.. rear around where the speaker slot is. no one was able to trace what exactly is rattling. do post back if you find a fix. when the car is stopped i cant find anything at all that is loose and could cause the noise.

i also had the squeaky front seat but that went off after getting it oiled during service.
My seat squeaking is really giving me a horrible time as my car is just 5 months old. When my colleagues travel in my car for having lunch outside, my situation becomes more pathetic as brand new car is giving such noises. They have also heard from people that Palio is rattle free car but when they hear the sounds they ask me about it. Literaaly I have no answers but to tell them that boss fiat after tie up with Tata have started putting all third class material in their cars except the suspension.

Boot rattling noise that I talked about in my first post is highly irritating for me. i am unable to ignore that sound. Tried my best to give ample time and chances to the GreenTracks guys. Even today again gone to them but Babu(Service Supervisor) said they tried their best but couldnot rectify it so lets wait for this sound to be more prominent over the time and then we will try to figure out( I seriuosly felt that they are now trying to avoid taking my car as they can not fix it)

Bangalore Guys :- Any idea if there is any other dealer/service station that has the capability of fixing my issue. I feel so bad that one of the best rattling free car ie Palio is giving me such issues.

Thanks to the guys who had replied in response to this post I feel many more like me are suffering due to these 2 issues. Lets try to find the way out for these 2 issues.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 08:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
HI,

25psi is extremely low for the Palio.
The manual recommends a tyre pressure of 29 psi.
dude131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 09:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The AC console making sounds in 4th / 5th gear could be an issue with my way of driving (who drives at 1000 RPM on 4th gear? I do at times.)
I have done about 3900 km in my SDE in the one and a half months of ownership. There was no rattle issue until the TATA branded HU (came free for December buyers) was fitted about three weeks back. I got it refitted once and the rattle can still be heard in the rpm range of 1200-1500 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

PS. I am getting an overall mileage of 22kmpl (60% on free road, 10% AC, light load) with unbranded diesel. Once I tried HP Turbodiesel, but believe me, I got only 20 kmpl. Can it be due to some problem in the meter at the fueling station?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 11:25   #177
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post

Bangalore Guys :- Any idea if there is any other dealer/service station that has the capability of fixing my issue. I feel so bad that one of the best rattling free car ie Palio is giving me such issues.

According to FIAT officials, Concorde Motors, Mysore road are amongst the most equipped and trained A.S.Cs. I have personally never visited them but have heard good reviews. You might want to try there.

Another option is Hariprasad Motors in Basavangudi. They do a good job although they are not very well equipped (No ECU analyzer). For your kind of issues like rattling and squeaking, no harm in try them.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 14:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
My seat squeaking is really giving me a horrible time as my car is just 5 months old.

Boot rattling noise that I talked about in my first post is highly irritating for me. i am unable to ignore that sound.
Next time, make the ASC guy sit in the back seat and make him locate the sound. Don't show the Service Advisor. Find THE GUY who does the door / rattle fixing. They are usually aware of the potential problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I have done about 3900 km in my SDE in the one and a half months of ownership. There was no rattle issue until the TATA branded HU (came free for December buyers) was fitted about three weeks back. I got it refitted once and the rattle can still be heard in the rpm range of 1200-1500 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.
Well, as I said earlier, it's either the HU or the console. In fact, HU is the more likely culprit, because of the shoddy installation they've done all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
PS. I am getting an overall mileage of 22kmpl (60% on free road, 10% AC, light load) with unbranded diesel. Once I tried HP Turbodiesel, but believe me, I got only 20 kmpl. Can it be due to some problem in the meter at the fueling station?
Fiat recommends normal diesel. I have used Turbojet on 3-4 occassions and System D for 2 tankfuls. With turbojet there was not much difference in FE. With System D, it increased by 1-2 kmpl.

However, I was strongly recommended by ASC not to use either of the two, and I donated my 2 bottles of System D to phamilyman.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:51   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
25psi is extremely low for the Palio.
The manual recommends a tyre pressure of 29 psi.
Thanks guys for the info on air pressure in tires.
I vacuumed the air inside the tires and filled it up with Nitrogen @29Psi. I feel the ride has become better. Paid Rs.60 for filling Nitrogen per tire.
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 16:17   #180
BHPian

Default Pl.Help regarding Clutch & Accelerator

Hi Guys,
Please help in diagnosing the following issues for my 6 month old,11K Km done MJD.
1.The clutch seems to bite at the last stage of release travel.This makes the car lunge a bit to the front.This happens only in 3rd to 5th gears.
This problem has recently cropped up since the last 200kms of driving.My local mechanic friend says it is minor as some air needs to be released from the clutch through a 'release valve'.He says it is present in all modern diesels as CRDI and Multijets.Is it true?
2.The car goes out of breath for a couple of seconds during overtaking cycle i.e when to increase pickup from 60kmph to 80kmph the gear is downshifted from 5th to 4th and the accelerator is pressed the car simply fails to respond ! The engine doesnt rev up but stays in the previous revs for a couple of seconds .Only when the Acc.pedal is fully released and again depressed does th engine catch up.This had me miss a major head on collision with a Sand laden truck recently
This problem crops only in high revs - 2200-3000rpm and only at these speeds!The acceleration and smoothness remains unchanged in other gears i.e there is no jerkiness or coughing of engine while upshifting normally.
Is it true that the solenoid valve /cable of the accelerator cable gets disconnected due to heat or wrong sensors and thus behaves like this.This was told to me by a friend who advised me to replace the cable or valve under Warrranty from the ASC.
Or is this simply due to a clogged Air filter?Can the air filter be removed and cleaned by reverse blowing of air? Or should it be replaced since it is made of paper and avoid damaging by air blowing?
Guys,please advise .
Regards
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote