Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th February 2009, 00:49   #181
Senior - BHPian

The lack of accelarator response has happenned to me on one or two occassions, but didn't repeat. Search around the Palio Multijet threads and this has been discussed somewhere. Maybe even on this thread.

Regarding your clutch, has this happenned recently or is it like that from day one? Because the clutch does have a long travel.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 15:47   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The lack of accelarator response has happenned to me on one or two occassions, but didn't repeat. Search around the Palio Multijet threads and this has been discussed somewhere. Maybe even on this thread.

Regarding your clutch, has this happenned recently or is it like that from day one? Because the clutch does have a long travel.
Yes,Tried finding about the Accelerator problem in other threads and found a suggestion in this thread itself.Clean the Air filter.Shall do it soon and hope the problem gets solved.
The clutch problem has been for the last 200km or 5 days.You're right the jerk comes in at the end of the long release cycle.Just the time when the pedal returns back.
Hope these issues are not major.
regards
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 00:22   #183

2nd Service at 7900 kms. Unfortunately no difference at all. The engine is the same , noisy and cant really make out if its any smoother. Glad I have a clean air filter now though after the dust bowls I drive in.

Rattles.
Really dissapointed with this aspect. This was supposed to be the 'european ' car with superior build.

Disclaimer; I drive on really bad roads and it does get irritating to constantly downshift through the potholes so I just rip through anyway.

1.AC console ;higher gears anywhere between 1000-1500 rpm ; makes an almighty racket .
2.Somewhere from the dashboard and steering wheel.
3. Passenger side pocket / well.
4.Some weird noise from the left Wheel well.
5.Accelerator pedal creaking.
6.Driver seat creaking.
7.Rear Power Windows have stopped working .

Now for why I love this car.

Been on a couple of highway trips. Car is rock solid at 130 odd. Touched 145 kmph accelerator floored @ 3600 ( I think ) .
Drove about 270 kms today about 4 odd hrs of driving and no back pain or cramped feet and the aircon . You have to keep switching off the compressor because it gets too cold.

On a side note was at a company today that borg warner ( probably the same turbocharger in the palio ) has outsourced the turbine casings to .
Its slightly bigger than your fist .
butcherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 07:24   #184
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@alton- the delay in acceleration after downshifting is not an air filter problem. Get it looked at.
Clogged air filter will cause a noisy, slow revving engine, i.e -it will rev as soon as the accelerator is depressed, but will take longer to climb up the tacho.
And, it will be a constant problem, it wont go away till the filter is replaced/cleaned.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 10:44   #185
Team-BHP Support

@alton: 1) check bleeding the air as mech suggested.
2) Check accelerator pedal sensor it might be dirty.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 12:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherSS View Post
and the aircon . You have to keep switching off the compressor because it gets too cold.
Can't you adjuct the knob with blue / white / red or blue / red markings to avoid switching off the compressor?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 17:53   #187
Senior - BHPian

Can do that. Most people run the AC at full "cold" to aid faster cooling.

But come to think of it, have never tried it. Even I tend to drive at full cold and switch off compressor when its too cold and let the blower run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Can't you adjuct the knob with blue / white / red or blue / red markings to avoid switching off the compressor?

Last edited by architect : 20th February 2009 at 17:54.
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:49   #188
BHPian

Default Lets start a new thread that discusses all the issues (rattling and others) sperately

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherSS View Post
2nd Service at 7900 kms. Unfortunately no difference at all. The engine is the same , noisy and cant really make out if its any smoother. Glad I have a clean air filter now though after the dust bowls I drive in.

Rattles.
Really dissapointed with this aspect. This was supposed to be the 'european ' car with superior build.

Disclaimer; I drive on really bad roads and it does get irritating to constantly downshift through the potholes so I just rip through anyway.

1.AC console ;higher gears anywhere between 1000-1500 rpm ; makes an almighty racket .
2.Somewhere from the dashboard and steering wheel.
3. Passenger side pocket / well.
4.Some weird noise from the left Wheel well.
5.Accelerator pedal creaking.
6.Driver seat creaking.
7.Rear Power Windows have stopped working .

Now for why I love this car.

Been on a couple of highway trips. Car is rock solid at 130 odd. Touched 145 kmph accelerator floored @ 3600 ( I think ) .
Drove about 270 kms today about 4 odd hrs of driving and no back pain or cramped feet and the aircon . You have to keep switching off the compressor because it gets too cold.

On a side note was at a company today that borg warner ( probably the same turbocharger in the palio ) has outsourced the turbine casings to .
Its slightly bigger than your fist .
I am also in a same situation. Lot of niggling noise from the driver's side boot area.

And above all squeaking noise from passenger and driver seat.

I think it would be great if we start a new thread on the rattling and other issues of Palio MJD. In my case the service station guys have stopped working on these issues as they are unable to fix them .

Let me tell you an interesting fact, before buying a new Palio MJD, for around 2 months in 2008 April I searched for used Palio is Bangalore. I saw around 4-5 used Palios and taken their test drives (2003-2005 models). none of them was having any rattling sounds even on bad roads.

So one can imagine how much quality had taken a dip in the new Palio. Fiat shame on you for doing this to all the fiat loyal guys. Only people who love fiat are going for this car and in return we are getting poor quality. I also get frustrated with these rattling noises. Hope that we will get some solution.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 18:54   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
Bangalore Guys :- Any idea if there is any other dealer/service station that has the capability of fixing my issue. I feel so bad that one of the best rattling free car ie Palio is giving me such issues.

Thanks to the guys who had replied in response to this post I feel many more like me are suffering due to these 2 issues. Lets try to find the way out for these 2 issues.
FF, why don't you use your ICE to cancel out the rattles. During my 2 years Fiat Siena (new shape) ownership, I spent more than 10k for fixing the rattling issues here n there, but in vain - infact it was a well maintained low run car that rattled in weird points including roof. This same guy Babu @ Greentracks advised me not to spend any more effort to fix rattles as even the new Petras that were on sale then had rattling issues in the first month itself. Infact I tried all possible Bangalore service centers including Prerana, RAC-Koramangala, manipal and everyone ended up extracting money from me without fixing the actual problem.

I know it will be kind of bothersome to drive with rattles, but with music you can always live with it instead of breaking your head with the service centers.
ece2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:49   #190
BHPian

Default Palio Multijet fourth Service

Today i took my palio multijet for it's fourth service
I have captured the expenses till now on all 4 services
I have just removed the Anti rust coating charges for clarity

First Service (Vivek Auto)
Bardahl Oil Supplement 416
Total after taxes 500

Second Service (Vivek Auto)
Engine Oil 600
Bardahl Oil Supplement 416
Distilled water 14
Total After Taxes 1200

Third Service (Elegant Cars)
Oil filter 390
Engine Oil 496
Wheel Alignment 250
Total After Taxes 1315

Fourth Service (Him Motors)
Engine Oil (Exxon Super) 878
Oil Filter 330
Fuel Filter 1043
Bardahl Engine Tuneup, flush 675
Air Filter element 115
Brake Fluid 52
Paid Service Charges 650
sealant Application (Lubricant) 400
Engine oil additive charges 620
Misc(AIR BOND CHGS) 150
Total After Taxes 5600

Searate Wheel alignment & balancing 320

Total expenses till now is Rs8935
Total Kms : 22420

So this indicates maintenance of 40 paise per Km
But i guess this will go up as between my third & fourth service the expense is around 75 paise per km.
My car consistently gives an average of 19 in city without AC
With AC it's around 16. So this leads to roughly 2 rupees per KM.
Overall i feel the car will cost me roughly three rupees per Km

Regarding the rattles, the rattle from the steering & the back tray are gone...looks like
I still need to get my stereo rattle fixed
My car still loses time (around 5 minutes in 1 month). Clock needs to be replaced under warranty. Have placed the request with the dealer and hopefully should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Also my tyres are not in good shape as i never went for any wheel alignment in first 15K kms.

Overall i feel the car is good but still not near to that of earlier palio's like the GTX, S10
vikasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 20:51   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@alton- the delay in acceleration after downshifting is not an air filter problem. Get it looked at.
Clogged air filter will cause a noisy, slow revving engine, i.e -it will rev as soon as the accelerator is depressed, but will take longer to climb up the tacho.
And, it will be a constant problem, it wont go away till the filter is replaced/cleaned.
Tried cleaning the air filter by reverse air blow.No difference in idling noise or revs or pickup.The next day on a long stretch tried taking the speed upto 80kmph @ 2100 in 5th ,the same problem persists.
Now the gear rod shudders,the engine behaves as if wanting more air,and even at one point found the front wheels shudder too.
So,its going to be a major problem Am rushing to the ASC.
Thanks mate for the advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@alton: 1) check bleeding the air as mech suggested.
2) Check accelerator pedal sensor it might be dirty.
OK,shall do the same as suggested.
Thanks mate for the advise.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
The next day on a long stretch tried taking the speed upto 80kmph @ 2100 in 5th ,the same problem persists.
I have been driving my MJD (SDE) in dust bowls quite frequently. I can feel a reduction in 4th gear acceleration in recent times but the speedo still crosses 80kmph by the time the rpm reaches 2000 in 5th. Is it that you could get 80 kmph only at 2100 rpm in 5th from the begining?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 18:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

I don't think a dirty air filter can create the problem to the extent that Alton is facing.

I think this needs to be checked at the ASC. Gear lever shuddering etc can be a by-product of engine trying to stall. Serious problem.

Have done 18,000 kms in a little less than 11 months. Have tried to recreate this situation many times, but it doesn't happen except that one time way back in 8000 km time. So I don't think it's generic.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:10   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Is it that you could get 80 kmph only at 2100 rpm in 5th from the begining?
No,it is not.I generally dont tend to cross 80kmph,that's all.I once took it to 110kmph on the GQ!@ 3200rpm just after my second service at 7500km.
As you suggested there's some problem due to the dusty conditions the car is driven in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I don't think a dirty air filter can create the problem to the extent that Alton is facing.

I think this needs to be checked at the ASC. Gear lever shuddering etc can be a by-product of engine trying to stall. Serious problem.

Have done 18,000 kms in a little less than 11 months. Have tried to recreate this situation many times, but it doesn't happen except that one time way back in 8000 km time. So I don't think it's generic.
Thanks Architect.Visited the ASC,and they too dont understand.
Finally the service engineer suggested to check the Accelerator sensor,but found it fine.He gave me the car back after replacing the Air filter element for Rs.114/.He suggested me to fill to brim,run till empty,note down any observation and revert to him next week.Also advised not to cross 70kmph!during this time.Now am waiting to see where this takes me.
Old 1st March 2009, 13:16   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Finally the service engineer suggested to check the Accelerator sensor,but found it fine.He gave me the car back after replacing the Air filter element for Rs.114/.He suggested me to fill to brim,run till empty,note down any observation and revert to him next week.Also advised not to cross 70kmph!during this time.Now am waiting to see where this takes me.
What has a new Air Filter to do with checking over a tankful of diesel with speeds below 70 kph? And how will you know whether your problem is rectified or not unless you take it to the point where the problem occurs, (i.e. you take the car to 70-80 kph on 5th gear)?

Maybe you should ask this person in detail about his diagnosis and cure.