Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th April 2008, 19:20   #1
Default Sparky proved itself -build quality superb,ride superb

In my first long trip with my 2 months old sparky , I wth other 3 members of my family went to Alibaug and Kashid beach from Mumbai last weekend . To and fro journey was roughly 330Kms.
Ride was very very smooth , comfortable inspite of NH 17 and roads within Alibag not so good. The most important thing which i want to tell about is it's build quality . While going to Alibaug , I decide d to have tea at Wadkal Naka , an importnat but busy junction. I tried to park in a cornor little away from the road. Suddenly there was a big loud thud sound and the driver side front wheel went in a 10-12" deep pithole . The car got tilted towards right and stopped . The front wheel had some how crossed the pithole . I became nervous thinking something major has happened . Soon some near by people came and after seeing from the side from bottom, told me as to how I should try moving the car ahead and in reverse two three times to ensure that the rear wheel doesnot fall in pit . In nervousness I was trying to start an engine 2/3 times as I thought The car stopped because engine had also stopped . I thought there is a major breakdown. I started getting all ideas as to how I will manage the situation. Any way soon I realised that engine is already on . So I put the gears 1st and then reverse , again 1st then reverse ,2-3 times and somehow vehicle was out of the pit hole fully. The loud thud sound might have come due to hitting of bottom chasis metal strip of the car with the ground. I was very worried as to what would have happened . But except for some abrasions at the bottom which is not visible , the car is in perfect shape . After that I drove nearly 250 Kms . It has been utterly butterly spark ride feeling . So it made me convinced about the rugged built quality of spark . Another reason of loving sparky. FE with 95% AC has been app 15.5Km.This includes 40 kms of heavy bumper to bumper traffic of Mumbai.
Still when I go to service center , I would request for scrutiny to rule out any possibility .

Last edited by bkm : 14th April 2008 at 19:23.
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 20:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yup, Spark is a good car. Owning a Matiz I can vouch for its pedigree, if I can call it that. :-)

Enjoy her.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 20:07   #3

One more example of GM build quality...

nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 20:07   #4

I fully agree with you, bkm.

My mother suffers from extreme travel sickness. Any journey more then 100 kms, either on Luxury bus or on car, she would require at least 2 -3 days to fully recover after the journey.

This time, I took my parents to Ooty for first time on my Sparky. My mother enjoyed entire journey without feeling any uneasiness even on that 36 hairpin bend curves. She was alright and even cooked dinner for us when we retruned home - which is a pleasant surprise for all of us.

Oh my Sparky ! She has brought so much joy to my family. She is my cute little baby. My eyes glow and I feel like "kuch kuch hota hai" whenever I look at her.
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 13:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi bkm,

I completely agree on spark's build quality.
In january had been to my native and covered a distance of over 2000KM in 3 days. No rattles nothing. Car is fantastic. Most of the time cruised at 100+KMPH on karnataka state highways.
GM should avoid MRF tyres on this car and instead give aceleres which makes car handle even better.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote