Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th April 2008, 13:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

correct - Safari alloys are different. However, these Aura Alloys are the only ones from AURA, that fit both the Scorpio and the Safari.
So if one does an after market job fitting alloys and if one were to choose Aura, then these alloys are what one will get

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Congratulations. Nice colour and nicer Alloys. A friend of mine also bought a Lx last year. He too fitted the same alloys.
@JK: These alloys are being sold by the Mahindra dealers and No, I do not think that these are the Safari Vx alloys.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 15:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I drove on a bad rutted road at a pretty high speed and didnt feel much discomfort. I sat in the back when my good friend drove and didnt feel a thing. The rear suspension is quite excellent.
Shankar, since you mentioned your 'good friend' chauffeuring you around, let this friend tell you that you have a wonderful car (OT: why do people refer to the Scorp as a car and the Safari, a beast?) and your descriptive review does justice to it. Don't forget to add some snaps of the bull-bar; I thought it gelled with your vehicle very well.

Do get the light sun-control done before you head out on the hill drive!

Has the test drive helped me decide on the scorp over the safari? It sure has put the scorp back into consideration and we will have to wait and see... as you said, it's a heart vs. head thing, I guess!

Cheers
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 15:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

thanks
my pal is a lazy creature - he is not the "writing" type...
I tend to use the words car and jeep loosely while writing - the scorp is actually more of a city bred vehicle with enough strength and capability for country treks and a bit of light off roading (since mine is a 2WD).
Yes the Safari is a beast - a real monster - in my case I probably say that from the standpoint of sheer size - it is HUGE compared to the Scorp - or atleast seems really much bigger somehow. Also the 2.2VTT is a great engine once it gets going and initial acceleration and power in 1st is awesome.
Despite all the advantages of this engine and the freebies and the electrical and electronic toys in the Safari, somehow, when it came to the crunch I plumped my dosh down for the Scorpio because it is definitely a Heart over Head thing for me. The gear box too was a major decider in my case.

I will put out some more snaps after this coming weekend - plan a quick coorg trip and will share feedback about hill behaviour and highway feel etc when Im back.
Trouble with sun control is that somehow I ve never liked it much - we ve always had plain windows ever since we were kids - in the 70s and 80s very few cars had sun control film even in Ooty etc where I grew up. yes the sun is a bit sharp thereabouts so if the wifey wants sun control, we will put some on, possibly a light greeny grey shade, which should protect us from UV rash probably, but will not affect my vision!

cheerio

shankar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Shankar, since you mentioned your 'good friend' chauffeuring you around, let this friend tell you that you have a wonderful car (OT: why do people refer to the Scorp as a car and the Safari, a beast?) and your descriptive review does justice to it. Don't forget to add some snaps of the bull-bar; I thought it gelled with your vehicle very well.

Do get the light sun-control done before you head out on the hill drive!

Has the test drive helped me decide on the scorp over the safari? It sure has put the scorp back into consideration and we will have to wait and see... as you said, it's a heart vs. head thing, I guess!

Cheers
Old 17th April 2008, 15:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Arrow AURA ALLOYS.... 28 k?

Hai Shankar,

Congrats on your truck.... it looks great.

Following your train of thoughts, I took my CRDE 2.6 LX, July 2007, cost me 7.5 all told, including the front facing last row and changed new bumper with the air dams. Decked up the interiors plenty with lots of gadgets.

I haven't switched to alloys, thinking seriously. Last week I checked with a car accessary friend, he quoted 18500 for 5 imported Alloys. You say you paid, 28 K for the Alloys.. is the difference so much?

Last word..... I think the scorp rocks in the city and the highways.... specially in the city.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 15:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

thanks ramky
much appreciate it

my suggestion on alloys is to stick with a reputed bunch of chaps like Aura - go over to Madhu's near Richmond Circle (Shanti Nagar Bangalore) and ask them.(sorry didnt check if you are in Bangalore or not)
While they may seem expensive at 27155 for 5 including all taxes etc, they come with a one year guarantee which none of the other imported ones have. I went to a shop in Koramangala (bangalore) last week called Sprocket and the man there said he would give me some 16 inch height x 7 inch width imported alloys for 23grand or so. But he clearly said there is no guarantee and so on.
Personally, I prefer playing safe and going with a good, proven Brand like Aura. After all they are backed by the Aditya Birla Group (Hindalco).
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Shankar,

Following your train of thoughts, I took my CRDE 2.6 LX, July 2007, cost me 7.5 all told, including the front facing last row and changed new bumper with the air dams. Decked up the interiors plenty with lots of gadgets.

I haven't switched to alloys, thinking seriously. Last week I checked with a car accessary friend, he quoted 18500 for 5 imported Alloys. You say you paid, 28 K for the Alloys.. is the difference so much?

Last word..... I think the scorp rocks in the city and the highways.... specially in the city.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========
Old 17th April 2008, 17:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
correct - Safari alloys are different. However, these Aura Alloys are the only ones from AURA, that fit both the Scorpio and the Safari.
So if one does an after market job fitting alloys and if one were to choose Aura, then these alloys are what one will get

cheers
Aura does only one model for Safari and hence isnt this the same as in VX adn your Scorpio? Can someone confirm.

Quote:
Hai Shankar,

===========
18500 for 5? Isnt it cheap?

I too heard it rocks and hence brought the Safari:P
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 17:55   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Hai Shankar,

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========
hey buddy can you tell me how much will the front bumper air dams cost ?we need to change the whole bumper or the air dams are just add ons???
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I too heard it rocks and hence brought the Safari:P
good one JK even though i didnt like it.

Quote:
After all they are backed by the Aditya Birla Group (Hindalco).
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
hey buddy can you tell me how much will the front bumper air dams cost ?we need to change the whole bumper or the air dams are just add ons???
I think those are addons & costs you approx 3K. not sure as I changed the whole bumper.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 18:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
good one JK even though i didnt like it.

I think those are addons & costs you approx 3K. not sure as I changed the whole bumper.
Here is the deal.

Lets give TBHP a thread wherein we post how I felt after I drive your Scorpio
the way I drive my Safari now and you do the same to my Safari.

How about this Saturday morn or late afternoon?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 19:44   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the invite JK. Not in cochin this weekend but love to do it when we meet next time. Infact i am closely following your thread as its time for a change of ride.

But I feel, a comparison between the Mhawk & VTT would be more ideal than between a 2.6 Turbo which shows 64K in the odo & a brand new 2.2 VTT.

Above all what i meant is I do agree that it rocks & I enjoyed your joke too.

OT: I have no intentions to act as a brand ambassador for my ride as I paid money to drive it. when I am paid to drive it, i dont mind acting like one. So dont drag me into this scorp-safari affair.

but any way i wanna drive that beast in white.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 20:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Here we go again........

Quote:
Here is the deal.

Lets give TBHP a thread wherein we post how I felt after I drive your Scorpio
the way I drive my Safari now and you do the same to my Safari.

How about this Saturday morn or late afternoon?
Hai JK,

I think each man to his poison.......... ?

Everyone has his preferences, I respect yours. The Safari is a great truck.

I'm planning to drive down (depending on leave etc) to Calicut / Cochin between 7th and 10th and drive up thro Chittor, Hyderabad, Aurabgabad back to Ahmedabad. Maybe if you are in the vicinity we can compare notes and agree to disagree.......

I also thought 18500 for 5 Alloys is cheap, checked up today, its chinese make. I'm wary of chinese stuff, but Aura is way too expensive.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th April 2008 at 20:22.
Old 18th April 2008, 20:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
I had to change the whole bumper, the air dams are at the bottom of the front fender, its just a projection in the bottom, the old one is a rounded one. It looks great, but has not solved the waterfall effect in the rainy season. They charged me 3K for the whole thing, did not give me any money for the old one.... rascals.

==Ramky
Old 19th April 2008, 09:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Aura does only one model for Safari and hence isnt this the same as in VX adn your Scorpio? Can someone confirm.

Hey JK do not get frustated.

The Scorpio Alloys also seem to be Aura make but is not the same as that of Safari Vx. Please see the centre part (the cap) of the Scorpio alloys and compare with Safari Vx alloys.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 10:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default couple of pics of my Scorp with Bull Bar etc

couple of pics of my scorpio with its bull bar etc
Attached Images

Old 19th April 2008, 11:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Sexy Truck.......

Quote:
couple of pics of my scorpio with its bull bar etc
oohhhhh... Shankar... the truck looks pretty sexy with the bull bars and alloys .....

The steel facia on the front grill, costs about 600-800, will change the appearance perceptablty, will give it a brighter and shinier look, the black one kinda darkens the front.

--Ramky

============

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th April 2008 at 11:13.