Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th June 2008, 12:05   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Long Term Review?

VikasB has done 5000 kms in his MJD. I have done 3800 kms so far. I think most of the others have done similar kilometreage or less. If that qualifies for a long-term review, I will write one.

I was waiting for 3rd service at 15000 kms to write my Long Term Ownership Report.
Just want a couple of clarifications from owners like you, Architect:
  1. Have you faced any issues with the car so far?
  2. How easy is city driving?
  3. What is the city mileage?
  4. Suspension should be way better than Swift D right?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 15:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Just want a couple of clarifications from owners like you, Architect:

Have you faced any issues with the car so far?
None so far.
I suspected a coolant leakage right after PDI, but after topping up during first service, it has not dropped by even a fraction for 55 days and 3000 kms.
Vivek Auto changed my "combination switch" in warranty during first service without telling me that in Palios the left indictaor does not self-cancel unless one turms a tight turn. I complained, they replaced and we are back to square one with a replaced combination switch.

Quote:
How easy is city driving?
It is fairly easy if you learn to tackle the turbo (It took me a while to do so). There is a gap between 2nd and 3rd gears which is noticeable during downshifts, but I have talked enough about it already. The clutch used to feel heavy, but either my feet have got used to it, or its become lighter. i don't notice it now except when I drive the Alto. I don't find any issues in driveability.

Quote:
What is the city mileage?
I have one of the worst driving conditions in Delhi-- Ashram-Lajpat Nagar et al. City mileage has hovered between 15-16 so far. No highway trips yet. My clutch habits are improving and I am exploiting the turbo better, so i expect it to improve. But I have heard in diesels it improves after 10,000 kms or so.

Quote:
Suspension should be way better than Swift D right?
Can't really say. I am not the ripping sorts and don't want to test anybody else's or my car to the limits. All I can say is that ride is okay at low speeds and improves drastically at higher speeds. This car is happier taking potholes at 60 kmph than 30 kmph. Body Roll is present, but its definitely not like a Santro, WagonR, i10.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 15:38   #138
Senior - BHPian

My Palio has now done 2K Kms.
What I say may come as a shock to most here. However, a disclaimer.
My city driving consists of a 3 Km drive 6 times a day. This does not even allow the engine to reach its optimum operating temperature. My drive is mainly in 2nd and 3rd. The ac is on ALL the time.
My city mileage is 10.2 kmpl and this has been checked over 4 full tanks.
However the good news is that on my long distance runs, I have got over 17kmpl.
The city mileage is a real dampener, though my head says that my driving pattern is to blame. What say guys?
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 15:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
What I say may come as a shock to most here. However, a disclaimer.
My city driving consists of a 3 Km drive 6 times a day. This does not even allow the engine to reach its optimum operating temperature. My drive is mainly in 2nd and 3rd. The ac is on ALL the time.
The city mileage is a real dampener, though my head says that my driving pattern is to blame. What say guys?
I think it is, 2nd and 3rd gear driving with the engine running cold almost all the time.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:03   #140
BHPian

Thanks Architect for the detailed response. I am inclined to the MJD from the Swift after driving a friends Swift for a couple of days. suspension is like the 800, a bit better maybe, but not like a 5 lac car for sure.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 21:01   #141
BHPian

Off Topic - Off late, we are having quite a few MJDs joining the forum. Has the Palio sales finally picked up a bit? How are the MJDs selling? Does anyone have any indicative sales figures?

I am badly missing my Palio back home in India.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 23:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Architect for the detailed response. I am inclined to the MJD from the Swift after driving a friends Swift for a couple of days.
If you are inclined towards the MJD, all you need is Visa Power! Go get it!.

Just spoke to "phamilyman" on the phone. He mentioned that while I have seen 2 MJDs in South Delhi apart from mine and the ones in the showroom, he has seen atleast 8-9 MJDs in a day in Bangalore. Definitely both sales and service are doing better down south than here.

Quote:
suspension is like the 800, a bit better maybe, but not like a 5 lac car for sure.
I am sure it isn't that bad. The Swift is a very capable car and still the leader of the segment. I would have probably bought it if the MJD wasn't around.
Old 19th June 2008, 23:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

Another Thread Hijack. Original "Proud Owners of Red Hot, Cool Black MJDs" have receeded into the background becuase I am answering for them. Sorry guys, carry on...
Old 20th June 2008, 10:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
My city driving consists of a 3 Km drive 6 times a day.
My drive is mainly in 2nd and 3rd. The ac is on ALL the time.
same here I get around 10.2 with 100% ac and music; Odo reads 1.2K kms my drive is about 10 km but under heavy traffic (for bangaloreans HAL airport to KTPO (about 2 km short of ITPL)) during rush hour.

I do manage to go through all gears but most of the time i am just clutch braking.

Last full tank i realized my tire pressure (hot) was about 25-27 psi i moved it up to about 32 psi there was an immediate change in handling the pickup and response improved greatly (my reaction was WOW!)

But now that i look at my trip meter and fuel gauge i dont think i am going to do any better than 10 kmpl.

My idea is probably this is because
a. i am due for 1st service
b. i am driving below 2K rpm due to run in period so the turbo charger cannot kick in so engine burns less efficiently.
c. The fuel - i used Turbojet Diesel from one bunk (next to Cosmos mall) to hi speed and check after the 1st service

Has any one noticed if you go above 2K rpm (i have accidentally on occasion) then engine goes very silent and there are absolutely no vibrations of any sort.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 10:54   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Just spoke to "phamilyman" on the phone. He mentioned that while I have seen 2 MJDs in South Delhi apart from mine and the ones in the showroom, he has seen atleast 8-9 MJDs in a day in Bangalore. Definitely both sales and service are doing better down south than here.
One of the reasons may be because of the loyal Fiat Palio users in Banglore, Kerala and Chennai since its release. There have been lot of Palio users in South side so it was most obvious for them to upgrade to the same family (exceptions are always there)..and no need to say why!

Here in Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai, you will hardly find a big time loyal Fiat fans in good numbers! I hope the Palio MJD, Punto and Linea bring a big change!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:45   #146
BHPian

Default Awesome Car

Palio MJD is a nice car due to its great built and awesome engine,rock solid grip on the road,you feel like driving an SUV for sure.

If you are worried about resale only then a 800 is like gold,else go for the Palio MJD it will never let you down.
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:13   #147
JCP

Default I too am a proud owner of a Red hot furnace Red Palio MJD

Greetings to fellow BHPians! I am a new member to TBHP. I wanted to buy a Diesel Car and went through a lot of online materials and found very interesting and informative materials in TBHP and literally got glued to them. After a lot of readings, reviews, test drives and discussions I decided what my car should be and it was Red hot furnace Red Palio MJD 1.3 SDX. This is inspite of warnings from some of my friends / colleagues about FIAT. I wanted to write my experience sooner but somehow got delayed. But better late than never.

I bought it in VST motors in Chennai in May and my buying experience was OK. By this I mean there was no unpleasant experience. The car was delivered in 20 days and the ODO was around 70 kms after registration and it was clean and neat. I did not get much goodies though but for 10 ltrs of D and the no.plate, and mudflaps and floor mats for a discounted price Rs500.

My experience with the car has been verygood so far. I like the luxury car feeling due to its roominess, build and ride.

My city riding has been (55km/day) comfortable and I get around 15/16 kmpl with the ac on. Ofcourse there are some straight stretches but there are some 30 signals in between and bumper to bumper in many of them.

I took a long trip also with my family(with my wife and my son). I drove from Chennai to Madurai to Coimbatore to Chennai back covering 1100 kms in the process. I realised the car's potential, value and worth on that trip. I am not a very experienced driver and I had never taken long drives before and I did not think that I could drive the long legs( Chn-Mdu and Cbe-Chn) in a single stretch. After I started (We started at 3:15PM from Chennai home) I should admit that the car gave me the confidence that I can go on and on. It was very smooth and handling and ride quality was very good and completed the trip and reached Mdu that night .

On the way to Cbe from Mdu, after crossing Dindukal it was raining very heavily and inspite of the wipers working max speed visibility was poor. But the car had great control and cruising smoothly at 50. I trusted the car and it handled the conditions well.

On the way back, we started from Cbe at 3:30 PM and from Erode took the Athur road to beat the traffic. The road from Athur to Ulundurpet was very bad with lot of patches and potholes and had heavy traffic. The car did a decent job in absorbing most of them. My son(8yrs) slept on the back seat from Athur till we reached Chennai so I suppose the ride was comfortable.

Since the car had run only 500 kms level when I started the trip I maintained under 2200 RPM till it crossed 1000 KMs and then I raised it to 2500 RPMs occationaly (100kmph). Coming to the mileage, I got 20kms/ltr on both the legs with 100% AC and this included some amount of city driving as well (with more members).

After this trip I had given the car for the first service, I had some difficulty in getting the servicing slot for the car and it was availble only a week later but after a few calls they(VST) managed to give me in two days' time. They said that in first service there is only general checkup and cleaning and there is a no changing of oil so there is no problem even if you have driven it for 2000kms(Is it correct?) After the service I found the car to be smoother(it is not just my feeling, it is my experience - I do not know how and why).

One thing - when I received the service coupons, the third service coupon at 22,500kms was torn off. I showed this the the VST Rep. He took it up with the management and they communicated this to Fiat. It looks like Fiat is saying that it is the dealer's responsibility since each car comes with only one set of coupons. VST is going to give me a written letter saying that I can get it done since it was torn off. I have asked for a the mail communication to this effect between Fiat and them so that I can take it up. Though I am not in a hurry, I want to fix this issue.

Overall I am happy with this car and content that I decided on this car over IndigoCS and SwiftD. Well I am not really looking at resale values( minimum 4 years of holding) and I am sure more people will start realizing its value which should improve its service network and spares availability.
My God! This posting has become so big! I will narrate other experiences in my next post.
JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

Many Congrats JCP on your new Palio MJD!

Good to know you are enjoying the ride!

Reg the missing service coupon, do mail Mangesh @ Fiat Service, he will guide you what needs to be done. Mail-id: service@fiat.com
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:42   #149
BHPian

Question

Er, Zaks, what happened to your car?
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:46   #150
JCP

Thanks a lot Finney. I will straightaway mail them.
JCP is offline   Reply With Quote