Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd May 2008, 22:11   #106
Team-BHP Support

Hydra, sad to hear that. Frankly speaking it doesn't look so bad maybe since you brushed it off as well. Has the paint peeled off or is just the paint from the wall on your car?

If it's the latter they can just use a rubbing compound and it will be as good as new. That way it will be like nazar also one small mark.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:22   #107
Team-BHP Support

That integrated stereo really adds the finishing touch to the Swift - it looks perfect now.

Sorry to see the scrape though.

Last edited by theMAG : 3rd May 2008 at 22:24.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hydra - congrats on the car buddy.

As for the scratches - get some rubbing compound and scrub it off - it will get back to almost new. Doesn't look that deep.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 3rd May 2008 at 22:26.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:57   #109
Team-BHP Support

From the looks of it, a careful rub job is good enough for now. I understand the feeling, but living in bangalore i have become more ok with scrapping and stuff.

Last week somebody left a dent on the bonnet tip and the front number plate crumbled on my swift, while it was parked in my office.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd May 2008 at 22:58.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:16   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Tragedy! I scratched the left side of the front-bumper and a teeny bit of the fender against a wall, very close to my house. A kid came zipping out of a road in a bicycle and I had to swing a hard left. The kid zipped way happily. I didn't :(

I jumped outside and looked at the bumper. It brought tears to my eyes. Really. This was a crowning "glory" on an already bad, bad day. The first scratch on a new car is truly a heart-rending experience, especially if it happens within a month of buying the car.

It looked really bad right then, with the paint off the wall on the bumper and all. Brushed it all off and it looked liked this:
Attachment 12867

Bad "Carma" and all that. (Maybe the Swift is getting back at me for saying so many bad things about her.) But then I consoled myself that it would all have been a lot worse if the kid hit the car. I'd have had to deal with the Kid, the fact that the kid was hit, and the heartbreak of the scratch. Thank God for small mercies.

Looks like my Maruti Service Station got themselves a paint job right from the first service. I've done 780-odd kms so far. I'll give the car for the first service in another 10 days or so.

From what I can see paint from the wall has got deposied on the car, no deep scratches. Just pick up a can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound, make sure it less than 12 months old.

Gently rub that on the sufrace using your fingers and you will see that the green paint will come off easily, then apply a couple of layers of car wax and it will be almost to orginal condition.

I have white swift too and i have used this to remove some sufrace scratches...Let me know if this works.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Singh, not to worry, all she needs in a good rubbing/polishing job. Most of the paint will go away magically!!!!!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 00:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hydra
Don't worry all the green color marks on the bumper will go off after a good rubbing/polishing job.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 12:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Looks like my Maruti Service Station got themselves a paint job right from the first service. I've done 780-odd kms so far. I'll give the car for the first service in another 10 days or so.
Hydra, like the others have suggested, polishing should do the trick for you. I know how bad it feels to get that first scratch, but to be honest, I personally feel very relieved once that happens. They say you can only enjoy your car properly after getting that first scratch So cheer up and enjoy!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 00:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Guys! It is a relief to know that most of the damage will go away with a rubbing & polishing job. I'll be giving the car for its first service in 4-5 days so will get the Maruti A.S.S. to do it.

@bharatbs, thanks for the detailed post. I'll try doing this next sunday, in case the Maruti guys don't do a good job.

@razor4077, you are right. I actually do feel a bit more free and relaxed now while driving the car. No more heart leaping to the throat whenever the two-wheelers or the buses zoom by, alarmingly close to the car
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 10:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Chetta, I had a similar scrape last week but unfortunately paint has peeled off the bumper and there's ugly black spots. Like everyone has suggested, a good polish job will have her beaming as good as new.

BTW, the alloys are calling out to me
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 10:56   #116
BHPian

Congrats for your new hatch hydra.Dont worry about the scrape.I like the alloys.Ahha waiting for the ICE section.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 12:43   #117
BHPian

Hydra, if you can get this in Cochin (I am sure you will be able to get this with a bit of searching), then it may be the answer for your minor scratches.

Turtle Wax Scratch & Swirl remover

Using this is much easier than a regular rubbing compound as this is easier to apply and take off, no need for separate polishing after.

It works fine and have saved me many $$$ in-between my visits to the garage.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 12:50   #118
BHPian

Hydra, I am so late here. Congratulations & those are really Great looking Wheels. Pls. do inform me the ICE install dates.
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:12   #119
Senior - BHPian

@s0uljah, sorry to hear that. I'm going to try and see what the M.A.S.S. guys will do. A small bit on the fender is a bit deep :(

@jerish, thanks, buddy!

@quicksilver, I'll try and get this, even if I get the current job done by M.A.S.S. Will prolly need it quite a few times later on, and anyway I can Turtlewax the entire car once in 2 month too I think I'm going to limit all painting jobs to a max of twice a year.

@mansidea, thank you! Missed you yesterday! Will definitely let you know when the install happens.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 18:32   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

hydrashok, those paint marks are no big deal (like everyone else said). And if I am right, just some simple wiping with moist cloth should get most or even all of it off your car.
I know because I lightly scraped my car (black) against a bus (white) and had the white paint marks on my left door. Was quite worried, but all it took was some vigorous wiping with a moist cloth and it was gone.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote