Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th April 2008, 12:14   #1
Team-BHP Support
Default Ford Fusion 3.0 SEL

It was chilly evening, having found my suitcase was missing in San Francisco and all i have to my name was a greasy pair of jeans and shirt, I went lookng for my rental car in the hertz lot. This is the only time that I ever see my name in bright lights but alas, it was not there. I was late so my name came off, luckily my reservation was around. I had booked a Mazda 6 (or equivalent as stated in the small print), was dog tired so never bothered to ask or change the car.

Walked over to the by and there it was a Ford Fusion. After the flabby Taurus from last time, i thought, another disappointment. Slammed the trunk down (normally kept open for luggage of which I had none). I also once had a Camry which was wobbly and aweful (sorry zak, I spoke bad of your hero)

Got in and turned the key, interior was quite nice, not audi standard, but for a yankee tank, it was not bad. Set the Navigation system and I was off. Drove the frist few miles slowly i case, i missed a stop sign or moved to the wrong side. Got on the freeway and then explored even more.

Engine sounded quite lusty, fairly good power, it seemed to hold well at 70mph. Steering was a bit uncommunicative but it did the job. Ride was firm and handling was not bad, it despatched corners easily. Took it to Walnut Creek, later in the weekend on some winding roads, and it did the job, okay, it did not make it a sensous exercise but it did the job.

Ergonomics - spot on - only one column stalk so no confusions twist to wipe and flick to indicate, light switch on the dash. I have big problems with a skoda and a swift and I am dry wiping the screen constantly. good case to argue for a mercedes next time around!

Seats were comfortable and I did 300-400 miles with ease. Quality of plastics was quite good, they fitted well and felt solid. the stereo quality was quite good (only thing i had liked about the taurus).

Dislikes - That chrome grin, reminded me of the Yeti with silver teeth. Beyond 80 mph, you feel safe but not in control, you kind of feel that a hidden hand is there to spoil the fun. It also felt strained. The weak point was the transmission. Floor it, that wonderful engine note responds and spins, 10 secs later the car downshifts, tried manually downshifting, if waits for 3 secs then thud it does it. It blunts things. I never was able to smoke the tyres!

Verdict - nice smooth convenient saloon - I would be happy to use it but not to buy.
Attached Images

Last edited by ajmat : 26th April 2008 at 12:16.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 12:40   #2

This is an excellent car. I have done 550miles in 9 hours with enough time spent in rest areas. I loved the handling of this car. Real fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fusion 3.0 SEL-ford.jpg  

sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote