Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th April 2008, 14:41   #1

Default 2800 KMs Cedia review

I bought my Cedia select (French Claret) in second week of April. It has done 2800KMs on road. I actually took more than a year to make my decision to buy this car. Last two contendors were Corolla(1.8E) and Cedia. Though Corolla scored over Cedia on brand name, reliability and power, I decided to go for Cedia. All +points I have listed down are also the reason for selecting this car over Corolla.

+ points
1. Excellent handling (this is what attracted me the most to this car)
2. Excellent maneuverability
3. Good ride quality
4. Good safety features (ABS,EBD, Airbags)
5. Good interiors
6. Looks - front

1. I have some doubts about the build quality. On my long drive to Thekkady (Kerala) two weeks back, the front suspension started giving a loud noise when car goes over pot holes. I took the car to Lathangi, B'lore and they said there was a bolt in front suspension that was not tightened to the specified torque. HM guys inspected the vehicle and rectified the issue (took two days).
2. Looks - side view
3. Automatic temperature control

Overall I am a happy customer (with fear for more loose bolts ).
java.bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 16:14   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by java.bullet View Post
1. I have some doubts about the build quality. On my long drive to Thekkady (Kerala) two weeks back, the front suspension started giving a loud noise when car goes over pot holes. I took the car to Lathangi, B'lore and they said there was a bolt in front suspension that was not tightened to the specified torque. HM guys inspected the vehicle and rectified the issue (took two days).
These are the things that give prospective buyers a scare. Mitsu/HM should really take care of all this. I don't know whether they have a feedback mechanism to incorporate all this and improve upon their product.
cediafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 21:39   #3
BHPian

Default Bring it on, a little more

Hey Java, that was a fast month for you..wish you have many more miles to go....why not let a little more of your emotions(and some facts) come out in your review. Tell us a little more about your ownership exp.
Joy Ghose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

2800 kms in more than weeks is a lot of driving buddie. Anyways Congrats on your new ride. Cedia seems to be quite popular among Bhpians.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 10:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
Hey Java, that was a fast month for you..wish you have many more miles to go....why not let a little more of your emotions(and some facts) come out in your review. Tell us a little more about your ownership exp.
Ownership experience for me is mixed. I had almost three weeks waiting for the car after booking, though the dealer (Lathangi B'lore) promised within a week delivery. Dealer kept on giving me different reasons for the delay during this waiting period. The final one was - "Hindustan motors stopped production due to uncertainty in pricing after the annual union budget". Anyways, I forgot all that frustrating waiting period once I got the car delivery. I finished 1000KMs in 2.5 weeks. The first service experience in Lathangi was also pleasant.

After the first service, I went for the long drive - Thekkady. Driving was indeed a pleasure. My driving time from Bangalore to Palakkad was cut by more than 1.5 hours - compared to my old Wagon R, that too without consciously pushing the pedal. The driving fatigue was atleast 50% less compared to my Wagon R drive. I was little disappointed in my native village though - none of them seems to know this vehicle except few "gulf wallas" (they just call this car Lancer.. since it is Lancer in Gulf). Most of my villagers seems to think that this is just another "long car"

After a day's break in Palakkad, I resumed my drive to Thekkady. That is where the suspension problem started. Since then till the suspension bolt was tightened, I didn't enjoy the drive - I was really worried. Now I resumed enjoying this nice car again.

When I went to Lathangi with the suspension problem, one of the mechanics there told me that there is Cedia upgrade coming soon. He said there is going to be changes on head lights, interiors, CD player and Steering wheel. All seems to be cosmetic. One of their service advisors also confirmed this news. They don't know whether there is going to be any price changes.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:06   #6
BHPian

I hope that its not a major upgrade or will be kicking myself. Just bought the car a month back and I agree with java that sometimes the car feels great to drive through I have done only about 800 kms in the last one month. Am planning a trip to Mysore soon, so will be able to give more details on highway drive after that. My previous car was an accent and this car is way way better in every area that you can compare. And the most impressive thing about the cedia is the way it handles and the linear power delivery.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 12:45   #7
BHPian

@Javabullet - I'am thinking of moving ahead from Safari to Cedia and went to Lathangi today morning. The showroom is undergoing some interiors work etc. the place is in a mess and the complete staff is also missing. I met Gangadhar - Sales Exec and below are some excerpts from the discussion
- There is a complete denial from him that Cedia is coming with a face lift in the interiors. He says there is no news from HM on this. I quoted about the discussion below in tbhp and he continued to stick to his argument.
- I also read in some other experiences in tbhp about color choices and a Sports model color (eg. Red or Yellow) can be delivered in Spirit also. Again complete denial and was being told it was only before March-08 this was offered. Now we have to take whatever color is available in respective models.
- He says starting May-08 HM has slowed down on production and only 2 colors are readily available - Aussie Yellow in Sports and Grey in Spirit/Select. All other colors will take 6-8 weeks of waiting period.

The news of HM slowing down production has already started giving me doubts.

@CediaOwners in Bangalore who have purchased from Lathangi - Can you please help me with contact no.s of some Sr. people in Lathangi ? May be i will get the right picture if i speak to them.

Thanks.
carbaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 13:41   #8

The mechanic who told me that there is going to be a face lift is the one who attended a training session on the new Cedia at Chennai. I would trust him more than the sales guys.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
- He says starting May-08 HM has slowed down on production and only 2 colors are readily available - Aussie Yellow in Sports and Grey in Spirit/Select. All other colors will take 6-8 weeks of waiting period.
Thanks.
I think you should check with other dealers. They might have some stock in Yellow/Grey and might be trying to push that to customers. You are giving me a fright! I am getting my Cedia Sports (Black) in 2-3 days.
Old 6th May 2008, 20:05   #10
BHPian

When I had gone to the Mitsubishi dealer here in hyderabad for info regarding the Pajero .The sales guy over there told me that HM has decided to facelift the Cedia somewhat like the lancer facelift.They are going to bring in different variants .A stripped down variant at SX4 pricing.A luxury variant targetting the Optra crowd.A sports variant as usual.The new thins is that customers can equip there cars as per there choice .Even a price cut of 50-60k is expected .
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 14:40   #11
BHPian

I am not sure if there is scope for price cut in the Cedia. If at all the price is reduced, it will not have all the features that the current Cedia has.
DVR - If what you say does happen, it means that HM is not going to phase out the Cedia any time soon. Might be the end of road for Lancer.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post

@CediaOwners in Bangalore who have purchased from Lathangi - Can you please help me with contact no.s of some Sr. people in Lathangi ? May be i will get the right picture if i speak to them.

Thanks.
Ask for Kiran. There was a chap named Bhanu prakash who recently moved to another job.
parichay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys, I fell a sort of slight shaking at the back when braking at very very low speeds, like when parking. This happens whenever I am backing up into my parking space in the basement and press the brakes. Is this normal?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 13:50   #14
BHPian

Folks - Some more updates, looks like Team-bhp is really giving a loads of scares to the car dealers. I got a frantic call yesterday from Mahesh (Sales Manager in Lathangi) based on my previous post in this thread. What surprised me was he was almost on a accusing mode of why i raised this issue in Team-bhp and he would have resolved any issues. I gave him my 2 paise and said team-bhp is not an advertisement board for car dealers but we raise and discuss any concerns here.

Ok, some excerpts -
- He again categorically denies there is a new facelift coming for CEDIA.
- Lathangi as per his words have stocked only fast moving colours in CEDIA SPORTS - Aussie Yellow and Black (LOL) - atleast 90% of CEDIA SPORTS seen on road in BLR is Manchester Red.
- If i order for any other color apart from the above it would take 7 days to deliver. Lathangi has to place order for the vehicle with HM.

As of now, I'am not very upbeat going for the CEDIA with the facelift news going around and not very clear of who should be depended on for A.S.S.

Cheers...
carbaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi Guys, I fell a sort of slight shaking at the back when braking at very very low speeds, like when parking. This happens whenever I am backing up into my parking space in the basement and press the brakes. Is this normal?
Not noticed it on my cedia.
Just check the toolkit in the boot, if it has come loose...
Jyodi Backster is offline   Reply With Quote