Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th April 2008, 15:17   #1
BHPian

Default Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)

March 24th 2008: Get a call from my brother stating that it's high time I thought about changing the car that I use as a daily drive.

The reason was more inclined towards availing depreciation. First thing that crossed my mind was what would happen to my dear old Santro which has been so loyal to me for the past 6 years?

Well I sort of solved that puzzle and moved on into selecting a car. The 3 cars that crept into my mind were as follows (by order of preference) The Chevy Magnum, The Hyundai Verna and The Cedia Sports.

The Chevy Magnum: Yes that was my first preference but my head ruled over my heart for 120 bhp was overruled by resale value. Something in the back of my mind told me that I might not get a good price if I get to sell it after a few years and somehow was wary of this.

The Cedia Sports: Liked the factor of driveability and my elder son has always been a fan of Mitsubishi. Sad they made the wrong liaison (IMHO this) and wasn't too happy with it.

The Hyundai Verna: Now this is a manufacturer I have had an overall pleasant experience with for many years and have found their service immaculate, spares inexpensive and this in turn has always meant that the resale values was not killing the seller.

March 25th 2008: Decide on the Verna CRDi SX ABS and call a friend at Kun Hyundai and ask him about the availability of the Passion Red in the selected model he says its not in stock and whether I had an alternative choice. I remain steadfast on my color choice and am told that he would get back to me on this.

March 26th 2008: I get a call from Kun stating that the color choice I have made has been booked for and would arrive in a day or two. I give them a cheque for Rs. 3,00,000/- and they are to process the loan for the rest.

March 28th 2008: At around 10:30 am I get a call from a lady stating that my ordered car has arrived and I could take delivery at 4:30 pm. I drive my Santro back home at 5:00 pm. The kids (my 2 sons) are at home. They have no inkling about the car.

A kind neighbour offers to drive me to the dealership in his Verna. His was the only other Verna I had driven earlier. It's (my neighbours Verna) done 45k kms in 18 months. No problems faced till date. Just routine service and yes the mandatory change of tyres.

At the dealership I find the Verna all prepped for the Delivery. At around 6.30pm I drive out of the showroom and am faced with dense traffic, but driving it was a breeze. Drive home and surprise my family and thank goodness none were shocked with my choice.

The family take to it like fish do to the water. They are very much at home with the car and do like it a lot.

Attached below are a few pics of the car, had it shod with 15" Plati alloys and Michelin MXV8 205/55/R15 tyres. Hope you guys like it. It is a bit radical in design but I wanted something different (unique is difficult and much more expensive)

My first impressions about the car:

The Cons:

Have to date done about a 1000kms on it and have found that, as mentioned earlier in another review, the idling speed is pretty high than desired. Will get this corrected at the first service.

There is a noticeable drag to the left, again as mentioned by another Verna user on this forum. Have to get it corrected at the first service.

Gear shifts at lower RPMs definitely tacky, hope a longer running in will help in this area.

Lower end torque: Usage of fourth gear is very limited in the city and overdrive am sure could be reached only on the highways, where it's meant to be. This comes out of a comparo with my Santro.

The Pros:

Turning radius. This is one factor that always bring a smile to my face when I do those 'U' turns. Really short turning radius for a medium sized car.

Great Pickup: I really am liking the surge at higher rpms.

Good suspension / ride quality: Well this is compared to a Santro i.e. Highways haven't been done for am waiting for my registration to be done. Will report on Highway handling characteristics later.
However I have to mention that I am used to driving on highways on an OMNI and a SANTRO an am sure if I could handle those this medium sized Sedan would be a breeze.

Very low NVH: The diesel engine does have a clatter on starting. By the time you move the car it is really silent inside especially if you have your windows rolled up. It's hard to tell it's an oil burner.

Spacious boot: Haven't had the opportunity yet to pack it up but am sure it can take loads of stuff.

Height adjustable seat: a boon for short drivers like me.

Climate control: It's summer here at Hyderabad and it's an upgrade am really enjoying thoroughly.

Braking: Haven't had the need to really check it's capability yet (crossing fingers that I don't have to in the future too) but after driving in the Verna, The Santro's braking seems scary.

There are many more of the features but that would have to wait till I do some serious kilometers in my Red Hot Chili Pepper.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020700.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020704.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020706.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020717.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020711.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020690.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020691.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020695.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020693.jpg  

Red Hot Chili Pepper (Verna CRDi SX ABS)-p1020694.jpg  

suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 15:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Suren for the Verna. Wish you have years of good experience with her. Have you given her a name yet?
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 15:33   #3
BHPian

Not yet boss. Would love suggestions. Did not want to go about calling it a Beast or whatever. Red riding hoodlum maybe??
Old 30th April 2008, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats
I too have planned to buy a new verna Sx ABS Crdi soon.
But i am little confused with Fiesta Diesel Zxi or Sxi
my brother too have the same color verna Sx ABS Crdi
adding the spoiler will give a sporty look.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Contrats on your new beast .. Drive safely and dont rush her during the initial period .
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car Suren. Good choice of color too. I like the alloy design. Compliments the car very well.

Nice choice of tires. The "V" rated tires have a speed rating of upto 240kmph.

Must be quite an experience driving a turbocharged car. Do keep us updated on the experiences.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:00   #7
BHPian

@aks_karthik: Thank you, The spoiler is one thing I am seriously in 2 minds. My Santro didn't take too well to after market fitments (rattling et al) but am sure it does look groovy. Have seen a few in my city.

@undead: Thank you. Will definitely nurse the car during the stages of infancy.

@n_aditya: Thanks a ton bro for the compliments. 240 kmph rating . Me not trying that out. I know the car wouldn't/couldn't do anywhere close to those speeds but, as you suggested, it does help to know that the speed rating is that high and we would not be stretching the tyres to it's limits
Old 30th April 2008, 16:09   #8
BHPian

Congrats Suren! The alloys are really looking good.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suren. And nice set of wheels. The Verna is an amazingly good looking car.. except for that front grille
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Hey Suren,

Congrats on your new red baron. Looks cool. I'am waiting for my Verna CRDi+ABS to come. Getting it on 8th may. Did you get the left drag corrected?? Please do let me know what is the reason for this drag to occur, is it an aligment issues??

Regards,
Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Suren Congrats ! Your ride looks awesome in those alloys !
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 17:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice first report of the car. As mentioned earlier, the alloys really give it character. As BP asked, why not name the car-Red Hot Chilli Pepper?

Btw, get a couple of teflon coats done and try to keep it gleaming all the times.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 17:39   #13
BHPian

congrats mate !! lovely drive with some superb 'shoes' .. have a safe drive
Karandeep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 17:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
@aks_karthik: Thank you, The spoiler is one thing I am seriously in 2 minds. My Santro didn't take too well to after market fitments (rattling et al) but am sure it does look groovy. Have seen a few in my city.
I have seen quite a few Vernas with spoilers but I somehow like the looks without it. IMO the cars with high boot-lines do not look that good with spoilers.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 17:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats

Seems lot of people are upgrading from Santro these days at TBHP.

3rd red one here! Love the color and mine would have been red too if I was to buy
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote