Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th May 2008, 18:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

That Safari in the AD was definitely on a different suspension setup.
The stock safari is too soft that although it would slide easily on sand,it would be very tough to ontrol the slide by the driver.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 22:44   #32

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2008 at 10:27.
shishir11224 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2008, 11:11   #33
BHPian

Smile

The truck was expected by the 14th, however true to Tata style there was a delay and finally getting the car today evening. The sales person at Manipal Motors has informed me that "this is a new generation motor and does not require "running in" !! his argument is that the tesing of the car happens at 120kmph and and there is no need to maintain speeds below 100kmph etc. I was quite taken aback by this feedback - any views?
Secondly he has reccomended normal diesel over premium.
And yes i am getting sun film, central locking apart from the corporate discount as complementory accessories.
Dieselone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 11:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

He's fine regarding the Normal diesel.

but regrading running in its not at all true.

every new motor needs running in

and i would suggest you to read the owner's manual carefully and go by it.

Safari's manual is very descriptive and clears lot of doubts for ist timers.so spare some time and read it.

you will be good
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 11:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

DiesalOne,

Congrats on your buy.

AnupMathur has hit the spots for your queries.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 11:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Even a BMW engine machined and assembled in Germany needs running-in.
An engine is considered healthy only after a proper run-in.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 14:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Secondly he has reccomended normal diesel over premium.
The news from the Indian OMCs is that they will stop selling normal Petrol and Diesel in major indian cities. they have identified 16 cities to start with. Pune is one of them .

This is because Premium Diesel and Petrol is not under Govt control and they can increase the prices with the Govt coming in the picture. This way they hope to curtail their losses.

So guys, use Normal diesel while it is available. cheers:
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 16:06   #38
BHPian

Wow !! congrats on choosing the 2.2. I guess you were also following up with the tbhp ownership experiences of 2.2 and dicor owners. I did the same before i decided. believe me you made a fantastic decision to go with the 2.2 over any other UV in the market as of today. regarding the run-in, I drove first 1000 kms under 100kmph and insisted on oil change for 1st service. enjoy your ride.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 09:51   #39
BHPian

@@dieselOne

what is a "new generation motor"????
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 11:52   #40
BHPian

congrats on your new truck.Have a wonderful driving.....
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:03   #41
BHPian

Thumbs up

Guys thanks for the feedback.
Took delivery of the vehicle on the 20th. Got a reverse camera,music system and fog lamps fixed yesterday. Have driven the vehicle ony 175 kms or so. As also observed by fellow new owner manohar on the forum the engine is quite rough at lower speeds (under 60 kmph). There is a distinct gruff - khrrrrr sound at lower speeds, this sound vanishes above 60-65 kmph. Also while changing gears when the clutch is pressed there is a annoying khrr sound. Wonder if this a normal feature with new engines before running in or is that to do with my driving style. I have driven an Indica for four years so i tend to believe that i am not a novice when it comes to driving tata diesel cars! Would request senior safari owners on the forum to throw some light on this( khrrr sound).
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
@@dieselOne

what is a "new generation motor"????
I have absolutely no idea what the sales person at manipal meant by that- very irritating to find that a sales person of a Tata dealer is ill informed / trained on such a basic thing as running in of the motor. The manual mentions the gear change speeds and rpms for the first 1500 kms. TM expects you to run in the motor for the first 1550 to 1800 kms.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on taking possession of your vehicle, DieselOne!

Guess this weekend is going to be a 'on-road' one! :-)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

DieselOne joining the yelagiri drive meet this Sunday ?? (check the meet section)

The clutch "krr" noise will go away after 2-3k of running.

The engine "Krrr" noise will reduce over time but dont know if it goes away completely or not.

Quote:
Guys thanks for the feedback.
Took delivery of the vehicle on the 20th. Got a reverse camera,music system and fog lamps fixed yesterday. Have driven the vehicle ony 175 kms or so. As also observed by fellow new owner manohar on the forum the engine is quite rough at lower speeds (under 60 kmph). There is a distinct gruff - khrrrrr sound at lower speeds, this sound vanishes above 60-65 kmph. Also while changing gears when the clutch is pressed there is a annoying khrr sound. Wonder if this a normal feature with new engines before running in or is that to do with my driving style. I have driven an Indica for four years so i tend to believe that i am not a novice when it comes to driving tata diesel cars! Would request senior safari owners on the forum to throw some light on this( khrrr sound).
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dieselone..

Quote:

Also while changing gears when the clutch is pressed there is a annoying khrr sound.
Are you sure you are pressing the clutch completely, because it has to be pressed long way down and if you are new to it, you may find it difficult to do and end up changing the gear with some clutch undepresed.

Do you hear this voice from idle to 1st gear as well?

This can be adjusted in 1st service. I am driving a friends 2.2 VTT Ex and it had same problem. Got it rectified at 1st service.

Last edited by rkbharat : 22nd May 2008 at 15:40.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote