Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 15:32   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up Sharing my experiences of my new INDICA V2 DLG TURBO purchased in April 2008

Friends,

Hi, I am a new Member to this Group and I find this to be an excellent forum on sharing information related to cars. My first car was a Maruti – 800 Std brought in October 2002. Though my experience with Maruti 800 was extremely satisfying, I sold off the Maruti Car and brought a TATA Indica DLG Turbo, primarily because of the following two reasons: (a) It was a non-AC car and driving it in Delhi summers was a problem; and (b) to cut down the fuel costs ( I am doing about 60 kms a day)

After extensive research (mainly through the internet), and looking into all possible pros and cons of different car makes, models, & prices, I decided to by a Indica DLG Turbo. (I think I have got a fairly good deal and further details of it can be provided to the Members on request)

Took the delivery of the car (Salsa Red) on April 2, 2008 and till date I have done about 2200 Kms. The first free service at 1000 kms has already been availed. Apart from washing and oil check etc., got the catalytic converter cleaned (which is a paid job work). I had to pay Rs. 150/- only for this service.

Having driven a petrol car for about six years, my first brush with a Diesel car was an entirely new experience. Initially I found the pick-up to be quite sluggish. I had to get used to the initial drag. But at the same time, the powerful AC was quite exhilarating, not to talk about the cabin space and the dashboard, specially the looks and illumination of the speedometer and the tachometer, which I found to be of my liking.

My observations of the Indica Car are as under:
1. The range of gears of the Indica is not very high, i.e., the gear should be changed in proper range of speeds, otherwise, the performance will considerably decrease. While this hold good for petrol cars as well, however, my observation is that in a diesel car, one needs to be more technically correct while driving.
2. Vibrations of the car are definitely more, when compared to a petrol car.
3. The driving is getting better by the day. I think some amount of running-in (about 5000 Kms) would be required in the new car, before the engine delivers its optimum performance (Let me know if I am wrong)
4. The car has got really good power. The moment the Turbo Charger comes into effect ( > 1800 rpm), the drive becomes extremely smooth and the car keeps on pulling. But one should also be aware that the Turbo Charger has got nothing much to do with speed. I say because if u don’t engage the car in proper gears, it may so happen that even in speeds in excess of 70 kms, the turbo charger may not come into effect.
5. The car is certainly a head turner, specially this facelift model of Indica [FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]

Friends, the above observations are entirely based on my first hand experience with my new Indica. Though, I have been driving on Delhi roads for many donkey years, however, I am no car expert. Also, the ‘excitement factor’ of a new car cannot be ruled out, insofar as the above experiences or feel-good factors are concerned.


I look forward to the feedback and comments of the members of this group, which would not only further strengthen the bond between Indica Users, but would also, help me to familiarize myself with my new Indica.

Bye for now
basab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 15:50   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

Welcome to the club basab !
Just curious why you bought the turbo and not the dicor. We hear the DiCOR has better pickup!

I'm surprised you havent noticed the torque of the diesel engine . It can start from rest in 2nd gear , and can go up inclines without needing to rev the engine no ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th May 2008 at 15:53.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 16:11   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm surprised you havent noticed the torque of the diesel engine . It can start from rest in 2nd gear , and can go up inclines without needing to rev the engine no ?
Anycar can start from 2nd gear or even third..but the correct practise is to start in 1st gear always..This ensures better clutch life, smoother engine etc..

@ Basab : BTW, Congrats on your new Indica DLG. Great car, great value. Why did you pay money to get your catalytic convertor cleaned? It was not required..IMO
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 18:14   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

@ Basab - Congratulations on your new ride.

That's a good first post and a nicely written one. Will be awaiting your Pics and further reviews of the car.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 20:25   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basab View Post
But one should also be aware that the Turbo Charger has got nothing much to do with speed. I say because if u don’t engage the car in proper gears, it may so happen that even in speeds in excess of 70 kms, the turbo charger may not come into effect.
Ummm... yes and no.

You are in a way right when you say that the Turbo has nothing to do with the speed. It has everything to do with the RPM. Speed is only a byproduct of the RPM and the gear one is in.

However I do not think it is possible that you could be cruising at 70+ kmph speed without the Turbo kicking in. If that happens you have a major problem in hand mate. The engine is most relaxed in 5th gear. However even here at at speed of 70 or more the RPM is a tad over 2000 rpm. At any other gear of course 70 kmph will mean an even higher RPM. So there...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 12:46   #6
BHPian
 
Seran Manian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 471
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

Pardon my ignorance. Do they provide a Catalytic convertor in Diesel Cars. It is new to me. I am told that only Petrol Cars have it.

Can some one enlighten me?
Seran Manian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 16:01   #7
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 914
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basab View Post
Friends,

I decided to by a Indica DLG Turbo. (I think I have got a fairly good deal and further details of it can be provided to the Members on request)

Took the delivery of the car (Salsa Red) on April 2, 2008
Welcome Basab to the forum. Good choice. I had an indica(non turbo) too Its a VFM car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Anycar can start from 2nd gear or even third..but the correct practise is to start in 1st gear always..This ensures better clutch life, smoother engine etc..
I agree here. Boy, I miss the Diesel engine torque. She just went up the slope without the accelerator and was a dream to control on an upward incline. You didnt need to accelerate while slotting and starting from 1st gear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Do they provide a Catalytic convertor in Diesel Cars. It is new to me. I am told that only Petrol Cars have it.Can some one enlighten me?
I was about to ask the same thing.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

> However I do not think it is possible that you could be cruising at 70+ kmph > > speed without the Turbo kicking in. If that happens you have a major problem > in hand mate. The engine is most relaxed in 5th gear. However even here > at at speed of 70 or more the RPM is a tad over 2000 rpm.

In my TCIC Marina, an indicated 80hph corresponds to 2000RPM. I can cruise all day at 70kph in 5th gear ( I do too as that is the speed limit in Kerala for cars) without getting that turbo effect. At 70kph it is around 1750RPM. The turbo kicks in past 1800RPM.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 19:48   #9
BHPian
 
pugram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Do they provide a Catalytic convertor in Diesel Cars. It is new to me. I am told that only Petrol Cars have it.

Can some one enlighten me?
All present generation cars (Petrol/Diesel) have catalytic convertors fitted on them

Someone correct me if i am wrong
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 22:04   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

The indica has a Cat Con since the BS2 version
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 08:54   #11
BHPian
 
Seran Manian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 471
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

Thanks for the update on Cat Con.
Seran Manian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 09:28   #12
BHPian
 
redfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, The Windy City
Posts: 444
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Congrats on new car. But would you care to explain how did they clean a cat con? Never heard this. I think if it is clogged, you have to replace it.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 12:52   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thank u very much friends for ur good wishes. I may admit here that i am totally unaware as to why the catalytic converter was cleaned. Shall ask the mechanic the next time I meet him. Of late, I have noticed that the drive is getting smoother by the day. I am waiting to cross the 5K mark as I am told that the performance would further improve after that. Also, without the AC, I don't face any problems driving in Delhi's bumper-to-bumper traffic. However, with the AC, its difficult to catch up with other cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions.

Friends, I have a small confusion. Can anybody tell me whether the second free service is to be availed after 5000 km or 10,000 Km? The manual says that it should be 10,000. However, the dealer informed that the second service should be availed after 5000?. I have sent an e-mail to TATA Motors, but they have yet to clarify? I look forward to ur suggestions, specially from Indica Owners.
basab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 20:08   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

> I have sent an e-mail to TATA Motors, but they have yet to clarify? I look
> forward to ur suggestions, specially from Indica Owners.

Go by what is mentioned in the free service coupon and keep a copy of it before giving it off to the dealer. The dealer would want the car in every 5000kms so that he can charge you on some pretext.

I reliably understand that all turbo charged Indicas and its cousins oil change intervals has been fixed at 10000kms interval and that the 5000kms checkups have been made optional.

I am awaiting confirmation from Tata Motors.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 20:20   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

yup, the second service is @ 10k, but I was advised here to get an oil change at 7.5k, and i got mine changed at 5k
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Indica Turbo DLG & bad experiences with Fortune Cars, Powai liberal Indian Car Dealerships 8 23rd August 2008 12:34
Indica NA DLS vs Turbo DLS vs Turbo DLG greenhorn Hatchbacks 10 5th May 2007 17:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks