Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th July 2008, 23:28   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
crosscap - back from sunday drive - 15.25kmpl 80% city 1 2 3 gears .Never could go beyond 50-60 in the remaining 4 5th gear sections.
Great posts svsantosh. Thanks for the data. I try to stick to the factory recommended gearshift speeds. Sometime it gets on my nerves when some unruly ricksaws or big autowalas or bulls crisscross the road in front me; I don't change gear out of frustration.

So, you said that you are getting 15.25 km/l within city with your TDI. That sounds great. So I guess your friend has already been converted from 'G' to 'D' . Have you done your first service? Though I am a regular visitor of your thread, I forgot. If so, you are getting thi mileage after the service. Do you remember how much did you get before the service?
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 07:47   #137
Senior - BHPian

1st service done a few weeks ago friend - nothing is done at all during the TDI's 1st service. So nothing changes much. Only job done is to add 500ML of Bardhal Diesel Engine Oil Additive for 500Rs which many bhpians said is not needed - but again no harm in doing it, just that its not needed this early. So no change in FE. Am driving a 1500Km trip this week - look out for FE #s coming sunday...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> rough mileage is 9.11 litres strictly within city with AC on all the time. My
> average speed was within 25-30 km/hr

With AC and at those speeds the mileage is good. In my town in my Marina TDi with only town running will be around 12.5kpl with AC on full time.

The driving style as well as the driving environment matter a lot. Multiple short distance runs in a day usually produces much lower mileage than a longer in town run.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 00:53   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi crosscap,

With AC and at those speeds the mileage is good. In my town in my Marina TDi with only town running will be around 12.5kpl with AC on full time.
Thank you trrk for this data. I am somewhat relieved now.

Quote:
The driving style as well as the driving environment matter a lot. Multiple short distance runs in a day usually produces much lower mileage than a longer in town run.
This fact is quite satisfactory for me. My car runs over some short distances quite a number of times over a whole day. I really have to go out to highways to find the change in mileage.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:52   #140
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> Thank you trrk for this data. I am somewhat relieved now.

No problem!

> My car runs over some short distances quite a number of times over a
> whole day.

In my personal experience, this is the worst scenario for good fuel efficiency - Petrol or diesel!

> I really have to go out to highways to find the change in mileage.

A longer duration highway drive would do wonders to open up the engine. A steady speed of about 80kph or just below it would be ideal to get good mileage.

All the best.
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my personal experience, this is the worst scenario for good fuel efficiency - Petrol or diesel!
yeah!!! - i get 15.5 in the worst conditions, still havent seen below 15 till date.

Quote:
A longer duration highway drive would do wonders to open up the engine. A steady speed of about 80kph or just below it would be ideal to get good mileage
tell me about it, i can hear the engine growl more and more loosened up after one 1500 kms drive. Also got to know i can get 20.5Kmpl on a steady highway strech from TVM to Cochin with few traffic snarls.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:36   #142
BHPian

Default Small issues

1. The location and arrangements of 3 pedals are creating problems for me. In particular : the clutch pedal's uppish position. The rod leading from the steering wheel to the front axle is not covered and is lying very close to the clutch pedal's top end. My feet ae quite big. Whenever I rush into to press the clutch pedal in a hurry, the topmost part of my show touches that rod. This causes irritation when I am maneuvering the wheel at the same time. ( I shall post a picture showig the relative position of this rod and clutch pedal tomorrow).

2. The location of the brake and gas pedals are very close. People with wider feet like me, can sometime accidentally press the brake and gas pedals at the same time. It happened a number of times with me in the past. Part of my right foot was on the gas pedal while pressing the brake. Now I have learned the technique to avoid it. I consider it to be a serious design flaw.

3. the car is running fine without any trouble. Sometime I hear some squeaks while pressing the brake on a downhill. It started after driving it through heavy rains and after hitting several big potholes.

How often do you wash your car including its bottom? I haven't washed it almost for a month. It's continuously raining here for 3 consecutive weeks. I would like to get it washed after the rain stops. However, I have to do it soon since I find that lot of mud has accumulated beneath the car.
Old 26th July 2008, 08:36   #143
Senior - BHPian

1st Question - DID you pay for the ANTI RUST Treatment from 3M or Dinotrol for underbody coating? If NO - let me know.

Squeaks - Yes!!! Now you driving a TATA - get a water wash COMPLETE done and check again, if it exists, please live with it.

Pedal - CAnt comment , you either need to adjust the seat, or the habits or the shoes. Let me know if this exists - coz this can turn out to be a ergo issue and cause pain.

HandBrake Squeaks - yes, I get it too, sometimes I feel the handbrake wiil not suffice, So I always park it in 1st or reverse Gear. Reverse at nights - using gear lock.
Old 27th July 2008, 00:25   #144
BHPian

Quote:
1st Question - DID you pay for the ANTI RUST Treatment from 3M or Dinotrol for underbody coating? If NO - let me know.
Not yet. I am planning to do it soon from 3M. The mud might cause some damage.

Quote:
Squeaks - Yes!!! Now you driving a TATA - get a water wash COMPLETE done and check again, if it exists, please live with it.
I am planning to to get it washed tomorrow from some local garage. Let's see what happens.

Quote:
Pedal - CAnt comment , you either need to adjust the seat, or the habits or the shoes. Let me know if this exists - coz this can turn out to be a ergo issue and cause pain.
No, seat is okay. I ahve adjusted it. I have no problem with it. I thought that the rod leading from the steering wheel to the axle should be covered. Isn't that so/ Damn, I could not locate my digicam to laptop connector. Otherwise I could show you all the relative position of the pedal and the rod and why I am facing some trouble.

Quote:
HandBrake Squeaks - yes, I get it too, sometimes I feel the handbrake wiil not suffice, So I always park it in 1st or reverse Gear. Reverse at nights - using gear lock.
I do not have any issue with handbrakes. Even on some steep slope it helps grip on the road firmly.
Old 27th July 2008, 09:34   #145
Senior - BHPian

The squakig sound from the brakes is due to the water in the Disks/brake pads. It will go once they dry up. Avoid dricvng thru puddles/ standing water as that causes derterioration in braking performance as well as squeaks.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 19:18   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> Not yet. I am planning to do it soon from 3M. The mud might cause some
> damage.

Anti rust is not really needed.

Using the gear in addition to the handbrake is always safer.
Old 27th July 2008, 19:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi crosscap,

> Not yet. I am planning to do it soon from 3M. The mud might cause some
> damage.

Anti rust is not really needed.
trrk, could you explain why this is not needed ? I got it done.
Is it another scam like the "teflon coating" they do to the exteriors ?
There is virtually no tarmac on the roads near my house for a kilometer or so, just mud and puddles.

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th July 2008 at 19:28.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 20:09   #148
Senior - BHPian

Hi greenhorn,

To start with, it is only my opinion, but I worded it a little carelessly!

> could you explain why this is not needed ? I got it done.

If the anti rust treatment that you got done is that critical, would not the company take pains and do it? At their level, the cost would have been very very less.

Moreover the metals that are being used are quite capable of withstanding the punishment that is meted to them.

The longest that I kept a vehicle was Contessa, almost 6 years. No rust. Next was the Safari, 5.5 years, no rust.

I sold my 1996 Sumo to a friend who has it. He has rust problems on the body, but the underbody is intact.

> Is it another scam like the "teflon coating" they do to the exteriors ?

I believe so! You have had your underbody coated. In any drive quite a lot of stones and other road debris would be hitting your underbody, scraping your anti rust coat. I am sure that they claim anti rust and not anti scratch! They give you some warranty provided you take the car to them and get it inspected and they would also give you free overcoats. So it is not a do it and forget it thing just like the 'teflon coating!

At the end, it may not harm the vehicle if you get it done.
Old 27th July 2008, 20:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi greenhorn,

To start with, it is only my opinion, but I worded it a little carelessly!

If the anti rust treatment that you got done is that critical, would not the company take pains and do it? At their level, the cost would have been very very less.

Moreover the metals that are being used are quite capable of withstanding the punishment that is meted to them.

I believe so! You have had your underbody coated. In any drive quite a lot of stones and other road debris would be hitting your underbody, scraping your anti rust coat. I am sure that they claim anti rust and not anti scratch! They give you some warranty provided you take the car to them and get it inspected and they would also give you free overcoats. So it is not a do it and forget it thing just like the 'teflon coating!

At the end, it may not harm the vehicle if you get it done.

I supposed that since all cars arent exposed to the same levels of water and mud, especially cars which lead a tarmac only existense/dry areas , the manufacturer might have made them optional to reduce costs. Some of the other optionals they offer do make sense ( wurth damping - pity it is not offered at my dealership) everyone doesnt need it , but ICE crazy folk like me certainly would.

Your arguement regarding chipping certainly makes sense, and they've told me that the coating is done only on the body, and not the parts. Hmmmm

By the way, the teflon coating is not a do it forget it job either. I'm supposed to get a few more coats( that is , if they are actually coating anything) somewhere down the line during the warranty period.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 12:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

Hi greenhorn,

> especially cars which lead a tarmac only existense/dry areas , the

My Marina (and the previous Indica) does wade through the water logged roads of Alleppey and surroundings. Since rains recently strengthened in these parts, the Marina is doing school duty as there is water in the road to my kid's school which is off Alleppey - Changanacherry road.

> manufacturer might have made them optional to reduce costs.

Of course!

> Your arguement regarding chipping certainly makes sense, and they've told > me that the coating is done only on the body, and not the parts.

My Uncle had a fleet of cars in those days and had a lot of rusting problems. He had in those days tried Dinitrol rust proofing and it was a success in the ones on which it was done. But it was not an under boady coat. It was done on the inside of doors etc.

I told him that if they stopped cleaning the cars with a hose after each even small drive, his rusting problems would come down and it was this eventually helped for even the older generation cars.

> By the way, the teflon coating is not a do it forget it job either. I'm

I very consciously never use smileys and over the years I have lost a lot of communication skills that I had developed in the late 80s and early 90s! Nowadays I don't seem to be able to make the point I want to make clearly!

I did put an exclamation mark at the end of that comment. I meant exactly the above! All the above are loop holes for getting out of any problems that may arise.

In my 30000kms Marina service, I found a can of System D added to my service bill. I asked the supervisor about this. He said the can is in the car and said Tata recommends it. I asked him to show the directive from Tata regarding this. He promptly removed the said item from the vehicle, corrected the bill and gave it to me.

I am sure that in your situation, the anti rust treatment may be worth the price you paid for it.

Sorry crosscap.

Last edited by trrk : 28th July 2008 at 12:54.