Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th July 2008, 15:07   #151
Senior - BHPian

Crosscap - not hijacking, just adding to my point about rust and TATA

Rajesh - if you remember my thread, I got compo's in the front doors. Last week when I was trying to solve the power window issue, the mechanic had to openup the driver side door panel and speakers - guess what I found, RUST all over the compo magnet. it was not the speaker rusted, but rust from somewhere else deposited in there. More forensic analysis done and guess what - the moron installer (not Anwar, but his boys) who fit the compo had to cut some of the metal to have some safe distance between the magnet and the door and bent the metal bit (say 1-2CM) inwards...

So over the last 2 months of Heavy rain (oh yes - TVM trip) must have gotten some water to drip down the window panes (i guess the beading isnt fool proof on any car!!) -- and bit of the water/moisture got the metal bits to rust.

Whats my point - I am hoping that the underbody and door panel anti-rust treatment may help prevent rust from spreading.

---------
Crosscap - 'open to debate', i would recomend you to spend the 3-4K in getting the anti-rust treatment once in 3-4 years, but like rajesh said - the stones and sand dust will take away the coating over the years making the metal prone to rust. so its your call...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 18:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh,

> the magnet and the door and bent the metal bit (say 1-2CM) inwards...

Sorry to hear that!

> gotten some water to drip down the window panes (i guess the beading
> isnt fool proof on any car!!) -- and bit of the water/moisture got the metal > bits to rust.

If it was that fool proof, your window would never work. Moreover the door has outlets for the water to drain off!

What parts had rusted?

> I am hoping that the underbody and door panel anti-rust treatment may
> help prevent rust from spreading.

Sure, if all that is done properly, it would sure prevent rust from starting.

As I said before, doing is is not going to harm the vehicle. Any expense on a car is subjective and entirely on the person who spends it.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 11:09   #153
Senior - BHPian

>What parts had rusted?

Noting serious - the 3M detailing did its job well, But the install was done AFTER the 3M and the fitter had to cut the metal in 2 places and push-bend it inwards to make way for the magnet - which is obvious was going to expose new virgin metal to catch rust.

I do agree that the drain holes are doing their job (found near the bottom lining of 4 doors)

For crosscap and Rajesh...

>> If it was that fool proof, your window would never work

Both you guys - do you problem with operating the front window (MAnual and power) because i am repeatedly told the TATA's Indi' Series front windows are one of the largest in India and any Power Window Motor is going to Struggle to push them upwards? Can this be felt in the manual operations too(croscap)? (Rajesh I am hoping you got Pwr wind)

I am not satisfied with the AutoCops speed of pushing my front windows up.!!
Old 29th July 2008, 11:19   #154
Senior - BHPian

I don't have a lot of issues , And I wind them down off battery every morning. sometimes it gets misaligned and stick near the top, but down and up again fixes it ( i have OE power windows in front)
Heh , nothing to do at work, so i went and timed my windows

2.3~2.4 seconds down, 2.7~2.8 up

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th July 2008 at 11:30.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 15:49   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I don't have a lot of issues , And I wind them down off battery every morning. sometimes it gets misaligned and stick near the top, but down and up again fixes it ( i have OE power windows in front) Heh , nothing to do at work, so i went and timed my windows 2.3~2.4 seconds down, 2.7~2.8 up
Green Horn - was the timing with engine on - or off, mine has LOT of variation with/Wo engine power.
---
CrossCap is going to kill us for going OT - but may help him if he thinks about going pwr windows in the future...
Old 29th July 2008, 16:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

ok, checked with engine off.
2.9~3 seconds down, 3.4~3.5 seconds up
Damn, I really am enjoying not having work
Old 29th July 2008, 16:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh,

> (Rajesh I am hoping you got Pwr wind)

I have to disappoint you. Unless it is standard in the trim level that I choose, I have never ever fixed power windows in any of my cars. Simply because I hardly use the windows as the car strictly runs with AC on and the windows up.

A slight misalignment can be problematic for the front windows which do not have guides on both sides. I had problems once with the Safari front power window with the glass going out of the track.

> I am not satisfied with the AutoCops speed of pushing my front windows
> up.!!

Kindly use the power windows with the engine on.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
ok, checked with engine off.
2.9~3 seconds down, 3.4~3.5 seconds up
Damn, I really am enjoying not having work
ok, so the engine power does make a BIG diff, i wonder if it really drains the battery that much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Kindly use the power windows with the engine on.
got it... so is it advisable to invest 1500Rs in the AutoCop relay for auto closing the windows while remote locking (if any/all window is down?)
Old 1st August 2008, 00:21   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The squakig sound from the brakes is due to the water in the Disks/brake pads. It will go once they dry up. Avoid dricvng thru puddles/ standing water as that causes derterioration in braking performance as well as squeaks.
Hi Rajneesh, thanks for your comments. Yeah, the squeaking sound started after monsoon. I will try not to wade through waterlogged street, except when it is unavoidable.

I opened my thread after 2-3 days probably. I am surprised so many discussions about the anti-rust and teflon coating. The comments are quite helpful. At the end of the day, I agree with Rajesh. If the anti-rust and teflon coating was that much necessary, the company could have done it at their level. Yesterday, I got my car washed at a local garage. To my utter disbelief, I found a dent on the front bumper. Some car or a two-wheeler might have zipped past my car. There is a little brown patch on the front bumper. Is it removable? I also got wax polish from that garage. The car is shining like when I first took the delivery from showroom. I think I will get this wax polish done from time to time instead of teflon. But Rajesh, isn't it true that the teflon coating will save me from this kind of little dents which is unavoidable in a town where random brownian motion on the road is the traffic rule by default?
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 13:21   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> But Rajesh, isn't it true that the teflon coating will save me from this kind of > little dents which is unavoidable in a town where random brownian motion on > the road is the traffic rule by default?

Various fora have dissected the teflon phenomenon and have come to the conclusion that a regular wax treatment yields similar results.

Teflon coating is supposed to give you a little anti scratch property. That is not going to prevent damages like what you describe which can happen anytime.

Many of the body dents and scratches, some quite serious, in my Marina are all when the car was stationary and we noticed them later. I have left them like that.

Recently, I parked my City and went across to a road side vendor to buy some vadas. When I crossed the road back, I see a long scratch from near the head lights all the way to the rear lamps, where some kind hearted soul used his key to see if he can make some artwork on the car. These things happen. No teflon is going to prevent that.

Teflon would be another expense to bear if you have it, after every dent repair / painting.

Sorry for a little OT discussion here.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:32   #161
Senior - BHPian

and to add to that , what is often sold as "teflon coating" is just a wax one.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:34   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

> But Rajesh, isn't it true that the teflon coating will save me from this kind of > little dents which is unavoidable in a town where random brownian motion on > the road is the traffic rule by default?

Various fora have dissected the teflon phenomenon and have come to the conclusion that a regular wax treatment yields similar results.

Teflon coating is supposed to give you a little anti scratch property. That is not going to prevent damages like what you describe which can happen anytime.

Many of the body dents and scratches, some quite serious, in my Marina are all when the car was stationary and we noticed them later. I have left them like that.

Recently, I parked my City and went across to a road side vendor to buy some vadas. When I crossed the road back, I see a long scratch from near the head lights all the way to the rear lamps, where some kind hearted soul used his key to see if he can make some artwork on the car. These things happen. No teflon is going to prevent that.

Teflon would be another expense to bear if you have it, after every dent repair / painting.

Sorry for a little OT discussion here.
Rajesh, thanks for this self-explanatory post. I am sorry to hear about the dent on your Honda city. With careless fellows around, one can not avoid dents even if I am driving very carefully.

Mileage :

This time the FE has slightly improved : (818 - 617) km/ 21L = 9.57 km/L. I took the reading at the halfway mark of the fuel gauge.
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 17:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
This time the FE has slightly improved : (818 - 617) km/ 21L = 9.57 km/L. I took the reading at the halfway mark of the fuel gauge.
looks can be deceptive - only a tank ful will give you the right picture. Am surprised we are seeing single digits still!! is there something really wrong with allahabad's roads? Dont you ever get open roads to drive in 4-5 gears?
This thread can become a 'stay away' for potential CS petrol buyers. i would have expected at least 10-12 in the worst conditions.

PS - whats the total Kms on your ODO now?

OT - Rajesh - Ouch, that must have hurt!!!
Old 1st August 2008, 18:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
Rajesh, thanks for this self-explanatory post. I am sorry to hear about the dent on your Honda city. With careless fellows around, one can not avoid dents even if I am driving very carefully.

Mileage :

That mileage looks really low to me. Is there something wrong with the fuel !
PankajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 18:35   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry to hear that. That was pure vandalism.

Last edited by sridhga : 1st August 2008 at 18:48.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote