Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st August 2008, 18:49   #166
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> @crosscap - I am sorry to hear about the dent on your Honda city.
> @svsantosh - OT - Rajesh - Ouch, that must have hurt!!!
> @sridhga - Sorry to here that. That was pure vandalism.

Thanks for the sentiments. Nowadays I really don't bother about these things. I give preference to maintianing it mechanically. There will be no end to the body work with helpful people around.

> only a tank ful will give you the right picture. Am surprised we are seeing
> single digits still!!

There is another thread where a Spark is giving only 10. Mileage depends on a lot of factors. I am witing for a long distance drive mileage from you, crosscap.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:17   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
looks can be deceptive - only a tank ful will give you the right picture. Am surprised we are seeing single digits still!! is there something really wrong with allahabad's roads? Dont you ever get open roads to drive in 4-5 gears?
Roads in Allahabad are pathetic. Conditions were good before monsoon but it's over-congested with pedestrians, ricksaws and lots of lots of bulls! 4th-5th gears within city!! You got to be kidding! There are 2-3 kms stretch where I could drive it at 5th gear. Driving at 4th gear is possible only at night.

Quote:
This thread can become a 'stay away' for potential CS petrol buyers. i would have expected at least 10-12 in the worst conditions.
I am aware of that. However, I am trying to be honest. I believe that people will buy Indigo CS petrol not only for mileage. There should be other preferences to go for that car. But low mileage in my case, has already been explained by Rajesh, I guess. I make many short trips over the whole day. It consumes more fuel than if I drive the same distance at a stretch. This time it seemed that I am ging to get 10 km/L. I missed it narrowly. However, the gas station seems to reliable.

Potential buyers! Please wait for my trips on highways. I think the mileage data will improve a lot. At carewale.com, many people have praised for the GLS version and got mileage better than me. Buyers nowadays get feedback from many online resources.

Quote:
PS - whats the total Kms on your ODO now?
832 km : one order of magnitude below than yours!
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> But low mileage in my case, has already been explained by Rajesh, I guess.
> I make many short trips over the whole day.

Nobody is going to go for / against a model because of one report. So that is not an issue.

See my signature. My diesel Marina has given an average of only 13.96kpl (100% AC) over 45000kms.
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:27   #169
BHPian

Default Mileage

My previous boss drives Indigo GLX (Not CS model). At one point of time he was cribbing that he was getting a mileage of 9 kmpl. Later, TASC identified the problem and he got a consistent mileage of 12kmpl when I last enquired him. I think thats a fair mileage for a car of that category.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:06   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
My previous boss drives Indigo GLX (Not CS model). At one point of time he was cribbing that he was getting a mileage of 9 kmpl. Later, TASC identified the problem and he got a consistent mileage of 12kmpl when I last enquired him. I think thats a fair mileage for a car of that category.
Hi sridhga, this data is quite helpful for me. I haven't yet contacted the dealer after my purchase except for few occasions. They told me to give them feedback about its mileage. I am inching towards 1000 km mark on my odo when I will do my first service. I shall also tell them about this low mileage issues.
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi crosscap,

> But low mileage in my case, has already been explained by Rajesh, I guess.
> I make many short trips over the whole day.

Nobody is going to go for / against a model because of one report. So that is not an issue.

See my signature. My diesel Marina has given an average of only 13.96kpl (100% AC) over 45000kms.
Hi Rajesh, thank you for your post. I missed the details in your sig. Really it's so low? People quote much higher mileage for diesel marina or indigo.
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:27   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
This time the FE has slightly improved : (818 - 617) km/ 21L = 9.57 km/L. I took the reading at the halfway mark of the fuel gauge.
Again, very realistic. Don't worry about comments from uninformed people. As trrk has mentioned, FE depends on various factors.

As I said earlier, please focus on running the engine in properly. If that is done, please focus on proper up****fting / downshifting.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:51   #173
Senior - BHPian

Crosscap - just noticed you are still to approach the 1000km mark. As rajesh said, seems we really need a long drive test.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:49   #174
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> Really it's so low? People quote much higher mileage for diesel marina or
> indigo.

That is what I want you to see. My Marina with 13.96kpl and City with 13.23kpl. The City is a CVT also. I carefully dump all the low mileage runs inside the town for the Marina. Marina does all the town duty (which is similar to yours, short distance, multiple trips). It also goes for other trips. The City is used only for longer trips as far as possible.

Highway trips are rare in my case. The Marina has given 20+ in highway trips. In that sense, the City has not gone for that long a trip as the Marina has done. But I may end up with a 16 at the most with the CVT.

Unfortunately we can't reorganise ourselves for longer trips just for the sake of mileage. We use our cars for our convenience.

So, see that you have a good driving style within the limited parameters of your use as hrag has pointed out in a message. You will see that the mileage improves as you drive more and get used to the vehicle and its nuances.

Both (santosh and myself) of us want you to take your car for a long drive on the highway atleast after your 1000kms checkup. It will free our engine more. Hrag will definitely concur with this idea.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:52   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Hi crosscap,

So, see that you have a good driving style within the limited parameters of your use as hrag has pointed out in a message. You will see that the mileage improves as you drive more and get used to the vehicle and its nuances.
Hi Rajesh, over the period of 2 months, I have improved my driving skill on Allahabad roads. I can (up)downshift quickly within a congested road as recommended by the factory on the top right corner of the windscreen. Today, I could hit 80 km marks on the odo at least for a stretch of 2-3 kms.

Quote:
Both (santosh and myself) of us want you to take your car for a long drive on the highway atleast after your 1000kms checkup. It will free our engine more. Hrag will definitely concur with this idea.
Yeah, I also look forward to that. I bought this car to travel around in India. I am eagerly waiting for those days. Right now, teaching and research are keeping me so preoccupied that I hardly get some time to go for a drive even during weekends.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:45   #176
BANNED

Which speeds are you referring to? The running-in speeds or the optimum FE speeds on the sticker? The running-in speeds are perfect but I don't believe in the optimum FE speeds as given on the sticker.

For the city, I maintain: 15-30-45-60 for 2-3-4-5

Long drives, crosscap! And cane that engine on the highway. Will definitely free the engine.

I drove from Madras to Bangalore last night. Tankful at Madras and then again at Krishnagiri. Never exceeded 120 kph, A/C in my car is permanently on. 19.02 litres for 280 km - 14.72 kpl. This is on a car that has done 89600 km. If I had stuck to a 90 kph limit, I'm sure I would have got at least 16 kpl.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 00:03   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Which speeds are you referring to? The running-in speeds or the optimum FE speeds on the sticker? The running-in speeds are perfect but I don't believe in the optimum FE speeds as given on the sticker.

For the city, I maintain: 15-30-45-60 for 2-3-4-5
Two types of speeds had been recommended on the sticker :

(i) For run-in period. It agress with what you suggested.

(ii) For bettter FE : It goes like 10-20-30-40-50 km for 1-2-3-4-5th gears.

Quote:
Long drives, crosscap! And cane that engine on the highway. Will definitely free the engine.
Sure hrag. I noticed one thing : if I push the tachometerbeyond 2000 rpm, shifting gears 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 becomes silk smooth.

Since I haven't yet used 5th gear much, shifting from 4-5-4 is not that much smooth.

Quote:
I drove from Madras to Bangalore last night. Tankful at Madras and then again at Krishnagiri. Never exceeded 120 kph, A/C in my car is permanently on. 19.02 litres for 280 km - 14.72 kpl. This is on a car that has done 89600 km. If I had stuck to a 90 kph limit, I'm sure I would have got at least 16 kpl.
Sounds promising!
Old 10th August 2008, 15:39   #178
BHPian

Unhappy Flat tyre

My 2.5 months old CS had a flat tyre. Today while returning from my Institute back home, I noticed that the car is not running smoothly; there is some drag. I got off and found that the front tyre on the driver's side is the culprit. For past few days, I noticed that this tyre seems to be underinflated. However, there was no sound of burst. Slowly over the past few days, the front tyre lost its entire pressure. Maybe some nail from the construction site within our campus got stuck in it. I drove hardly 500m with such flat tyre. Hope it will not cause any harm to the rim.

I am heading for Delhi tonight. I shall update on Wednesday.

Is flat tire covered under any sort of warranty?
Old 10th August 2008, 15:44   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is no warranty against flat tyres. Get it repaired baba. 10 minutes.

Is it a tubeless ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 15:45   #180
BHPian

Crosscap I do not think "flat" tire is covered under any sort of warranty, however, if there is a manufacturing defect detected such as if the surface is uneven, drastic wearing of the tire etc are covered. If its a normal flat due to a nail, I doubt there would be any warranty covering that.

500m of drive on a flat tire, if you were careful and slow I doubt it should cause any sort of damage to your rim.

AND - since you had already noticed over the past few days that the tyre seemed under inflated - you should have got it checked immediately, why take chances ?

Drive safe

Quote:
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote