Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th August 2008, 18:42   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There is no warranty against flat tyres. Get it repaired baba. 10 minutes.
Okay will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is it a tubeless ?
No. What sort advantage does one get by using tubeless tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senidra View Post
Crosscap I do not think "flat" tire is covered under any sort of warranty, however, if there is a manufacturing defect detected such as if the surface is uneven, drastic wearing of the tire etc are covered. If its a normal flat due to a nail, I doubt there would be any warranty covering that.

500m of drive on a flat tire, if you were careful and slow I doubt it should cause any sort of damage to your rim.

AND - since you had already noticed over the past few days that the tyre seemed under inflated - you should have got it checked immediately, why take chances ?

Drive safe

Yes, I was careful and drove quite slow, well below 20 km/hr.

Though I noticed that the tyre is under-inflated, I didn't trust my judgment. That was a mistake. I took my car to the dealer. There was a garage just beside the dealer's office. I could have fixed it there.

I am going to my first service on Wednesday.

Last edited by crosscap : 10th August 2008 at 18:49.
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 14:28   #182

Default Accessories / Necessities

Hi all..I'm a new owner (to be) of an Indigo CS GLS. From the dealer, I get mud flaps, floor mats and sun film. Also, am going for power windows from the dealer. Need your views on the following addons:

1) ICE - whether to do at dealer or go elsewhere (am not a music maniac but good music wouldnt hurt!)
2) Seat covers - Interiors are beige, should I go for covers from day 1.
3) The steering wheel is thin and huge! - Should / can I replace/
4) Alloy wheels - Which make? How do I choose?
5) Central locking - same as (4)
6) Any other security provisions?

Have decided against teflon coating, may go for antirust later.

Budget is important guys.. please help
Achu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 17:03   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
Hi all..I'm a new owner (to be) of an Indigo CS GLS. From the dealer, I get mud flaps, floor mats and sun film. Also, am going for power windows from the dealer. Need your views on the following addons:

1) ICE - whether to do at dealer or go elsewhere (am not a music maniac but good music wouldnt hurt!)

Please start a new thread with your feedback on your car and have these queries in there. It will easy for yourself to trace in furture.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 17:03   #184
BANNED

If this is your first experience with radial tyres, they can appear underinflated until you get used to the way they look.

I used to think my tyres were underinflated every morning and evening for the first 1 month.

Check tyres pressure every week as a practice. You're lucky it was a front and not a rear - a rear flat is difficult to sense when one is driving within city speed limits.

When in doubt on a new car / tyre, inspect for a nail or anything else that could have caused a puncture. If you don't find anything, go to the tyre dealer (your car dealer will tell you who to go to).

There is a warranty for defective tyres / tubes. I have got a CEAT tube replaced under warranty in my Omni days.

Last edited by hrag : 15th August 2008 at 17:04.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 18:34   #185
BHPian

Default Long drive on highways, 1000 kms done and other answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post

Hey achu, good to know that you are planning to buy a CS GLS. Here are my answers :

1). ICE : I would suggest to shop around. Being in Allahabad, my choice was limited. Dealers of almost all the well-known brands of car audio are located in Lucknow and there are only few in Allahabad. Every third car on Allahabad's road is a Maruti and local Maruti dealers have a tie-up with Sony. I wanted Blaupunkt as it is recommended by Tata. Luckily there was a dealer. It has a tie-up with the local Tata dealer. I got an extra 10% discount on accessories, so I got it from the dealer. Another thing was reliability. Many of the car accessories in the local market are duplicatre of the well-known brands. So I didn't take any chance.

2. Seat cover : It depends on your usage. Will there be many people around inside your car whenever you drive? Will you drive the car with windows rolled down all the time? If so, the beige interior will ge soiled very soon. Even if you don't do so, I would advise you to get seat covers of darker shade. It gives a nice overall look to the interior with pleasant contrast. My first car had all-beige interior. I didn't use seat covers. All the seats got quite dirty within 6 months of usage.

3. Is it huge? I found it to be cute. I think Tata have reduced the diameter of the steering wheel. I don't think that steering wheel can be changed. I am sure you will get used to it. It's comfortable, very responsive(( can manage with my four fingers only, though I will not advise you to drive like that) and stable.

4. Kindly ask the gurus from this forum. I decided to start a new thread on this topic. I have a plan to buy alloy wheels in future. There is one guy, nick-named "bite the bullet" who have recently bought a black Tata Safari. He got a very nice set of alloy wheels which looks gorgeous. You can find more about it here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ri-2-2-lx.html (the black beauty cometh!! (Safari 2.2 LX))

The fellow, "Bouncer" has recently bought an Indigo XL clasic Dicor with a decent set of alloys. Have a look at his thread too :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sic-dicor.html

5. Autocop and Minda are well-known accessory makers in this field. I went for Minda since their local service network is better than autocop. Many people from this forum has opted for autocop makes.

6. You may go for gear lock and steering wheel lock. The former, I heard is more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
If this is your first experience with radial tyres, they can appear underinflated until you get used to the way they look.

I used to think my tyres were underinflated every morning and evening for the first 1 month.

Check tyres pressure every week as a practice. You're lucky it was a front and not a rear - a rear flat is difficult to sense when one is driving within city speed limits.

When in doubt on a new car / tyre, inspect for a nail or anything else that could have caused a puncture. If you don't find anything, go to the tyre dealer (your car dealer will tell you who to go to).

There is a warranty for defective tyres / tubes. I have got a CEAT tube replaced under warranty in my Omni days.
Hey hrag, thank you for your kind advice. I got it repaired. A hard steel nail, almost an inch long, got stuck inside the tyre and caused damage to the tyre at several places. I fixed it using "pucca" technology. In the process, I learnt many things about tyre fixing technology in India; there are two types : "kachcha" and "pucca" --- in the former they put adhesive and some extra rubber sheets(called "tikli" here) at the damaged places. In case of latter, they put some solutions/chemicals, extra rubber sheets and heat both the tyres, rubber sheets and chemicals to repair the damage. Now I kept it as a spare tyre inside the trunk and using the stepney as a regular tyre. The garage fellow advised me to use the stepney from time to time.

All my tyres were under-inflated. The pressure was around 20 psi while the recommended one is 27 psi. How often do you check tyre pressure? I didn't do it within last two months. I am familar with radial tyres; I know they look under-inflated.. However, in my case, they were under-inflated. I think this is why my car is consuming more fuel.

Long trip on highways :

Yesterday, I drove to Sarnath, roughly 150 kms away. I drove most of the time on NH2 except last 20 kms or so. As I guessed earlier, this is truly a highway car. It was very stable, even at speeds as high as 90-95 km/hr. The steering was precise and was quite responsive at high speeds. The maximum speed I was able to reach was 95 km/hr. The brake was too good. As many as three times, I missed dips on the road. I noticed it when I was within 15-20 meters of those dips and was driving at almost 45-50 km/hr. I pressed the brake hard and almost every time, I was able to bring the speed below 10km/hr as I hit the dips. The suspension had uts real tests yesterday. In at least 5-6 places, the road condition was terrible; there was no raods as such with huge potholes. The car did a fantastic job: the suspension absorbed all the vibrations. We were 5 altogether riding the car. I shall calculate the mileage soon and let you know. The ac was on during 75% of the journey.

hrag, it seems that the engine has really "opened up". I found it today in the afternoon while driving. The engine runs quite smoothly on 2nd-3rd gears. Earlier, I felt a little drag while driving in these gears. Today, it was a smooth sailing.

The odometer now reads 1230kms. I crossed the 1000 kms barrier at last. My baby needs its first service. I am going to do it during this week.

Last edited by crosscap : 17th August 2008 at 18:38.
Old 17th August 2008, 21:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

cool ride... pics of the ride? All the best for the 1st service.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 22:24   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
How often do you check tyre pressure? However, in my case, they were under-inflated. I think this is why my car is consuming more fuel.

As I guessed earlier, this is truly a highway car. It was very stable, even at speeds as high as 90-95 km/hr. The steering was precise and was quite responsive at high speeds. The maximum speed I was able to reach was 95 km/hr. The brake was too good.

hrag, it seems that the engine has really "opened up". I found it today in the afternoon while driving. The engine runs quite smoothly on 2nd-3rd gears.
I check tyre pressure religiously every Sunday morning - a habit since 1994 starting with my old Bajaj KB100 RTZ. Until then, it was with petrol fills at odd times which I realized was not the right thing to do.

Yes, my initial experience was the same. It feels perfect for the highway. Steering feel is quite good upto 130 kph, after which it starts losing feel.
I would not advise crossing 100 kph until you are completely familiar with the car's behaviour and unless absolutely necessary.

More highway drives will definitely help in opening up the engine even more.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 12:47   #188

[quote=crosscap;942216]Hey achu, good to know that you are planning to buy a CS GLS. Here are my answers :
quote]

Thanks! Missed this response when I checked earlier. Will get delivery tomorrow. Have asked for only the 4 PW installed from dealer. Will check out ICE options starting next week.

Anything for my car that's a must buy from abroad (HK)? Any BHPians who want to hazard? Clearly, am talking small accessories, ICE wires and the like, and not the whole works itself!!

Have yet to find the link to the Mumbai BHP members who can take care of mods, will continue searching.
Achu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 01:11   #189
BHPian

[quote=Achu;944329]
Quote:
Hey achu, good to know that you are planning to buy a CS GLS. Here are my answers :
quote]

Thanks! Missed this response when I checked earlier. Will get delivery tomorrow. Have asked for only the 4 PW installed from dealer. Will check out ICE options starting next week.
Congrats achu! Good to see that you opted for the petrol version. Will look forward to your thread with pics of your CS. Happy driving!
Old 24th August 2008, 10:26   #190
BHPian

Smile 1st Service at 1000 km done. Anti-rust done. Front Grill and PW installed

Last two days I was busy with servicing my car for the first time. The 1st service was done at 1261 km. It cost me Rs. 150/-. I have added the following features to my car :

1. Underbody anti-rust coating from local 3M dealer : Rs. 1500/-
2. Power Windows for 4-doors from Autocop : Rs. 11000/- including labor
3. Front grill from Action : Rs. 2400/-
4. Mobile charger + cigarette lighter : Rs. 400/-
5. Mobile stand : free of cost

The grills are essential here. every now and then, I saw cars get hit by reckless bicyclers or other two-wheelers. Yesterday, when I was on my way to the dealer for PW, a bicycler hit me from behind. There was a little scratches on the rear bumper. Initially, I was hesitant about installing those grills, as it looks like a taxi from front. However, I have no choice. The rear bumper for CS is still not available in the local market. I have to wait 4-5 days for it.

The power windows are working fine. I was disappointed to find that the Windows relay system from Autocop didn't work with the central locking system from Minda. I think "bouncer" from this forum got it installed. It works like this : if you forget to roll up any of the windows while leaving the car, when you press the remote lock key, it automatically rolls up the windows. However, that system didn't work. The mechanic worked for almost 1.5 hrs to get it fixed. However, it didn't work.

I shall post few pics soon.

Latest Mileage :

279 km on highway(75% AC on) + 103 km in Allahabad city(100% AC on) : 11km/l on an average

Last edited by crosscap : 24th August 2008 at 10:36.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:18   #191
Senior - BHPian

great work CrossCap... Thanks to let me know the relay doesnt work. Knowing TATA electricals, i was a bit hesitant to run the windows in dry condition (engine off, from battery) - Now i will shelve the plan.

Good to hear the 11- FE.

I need the pics of the grill soon , please
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 18:32   #192
BHPian

Quote:
The power windows are working fine. I was disappointed to find that the Windows relay system from Autocop didn't work with the central locking system from Minda. I think "bouncer" from this forum got it installed. It works like this : if you forget to roll up any of the windows while leaving the car, when you press the remote lock key, it automatically rolls up the windows. However, that system didn't work. The mechanic worked for almost 1.5 hrs to get it fixed. However, it didn't work.
Bouncer had installed an additional relay for that to link his central locking and Power windows. Check this link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...c-dicor-2.html
cnaganathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 21:59   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
great work CrossCap... Thanks to let me know the relay doesnt work. Knowing TATA electricals, i was a bit hesitant to run the windows in dry condition (engine off, from battery) - Now i will shelve the plan.

Good to hear the 11- FE.
santosh, the relay from autocop is not compatible with the central lock from Minda. Tata has no role to play. I have to find a reliable relay, if at all I am going to install one, which will be compatible with the central lock from Minda. Tata recommends both Minda and Autocop for 3rd party electrical components.

Quote:
Yeah, sure, will do it soon.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:06   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Bouncer had installed an additional relay for that to link his central locking and Power windows. Check this link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...c-dicor-2.html
yeah, cnaganathan, I am aware of that. Relay is altogether a separate instrument from the PW and central locking. PW's circuitry does not interfere with that of central locking. However, relay's circuitry will interfere with the latter, since it's the central locking's remote which will coordinate with the relay at the end of the day. So my PW from autocop and central locking Minda are working fine. The relay from Autocop was not compatible with Minda's central locking. I just have to check whether Bouncer's brand for the relay is (i) available in Allahabad and (ii) if so, whether it works with Minda.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:22   #195
BHPian

Default Pics of the grill and relative position of Clutch+Steering axle

Quote:

Here is the picture of the front grill
I got my Indigo CS GLS-dsc00045.jpg

These two pictures show the relative position of the clutch and the axle leading from steering wheel. Since the axle is not covered, sometime the topmost part of my left shoe touches the axle. It creates a little problem during critical maneuvering which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts.

I got my Indigo CS GLS-dsc00043.jpg

I got my Indigo CS GLS-dsc00044.jpg

The central locking system is having a problem from last night. It's not locking the all 4 doors when I leave the car. As I press the lock button on the remote, it locks and unlocks all the doors instantaneously. I have consulted the Minda dealer. They will fix it tomorrow. Has anybody faced this sort of problem with central locking?