Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th July 2008, 21:35   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
yup, sounds like burnt clutch. got in once when i had to do a vigourous half clutch revving while on an incline, and once again when i was ripping and mis-timed my clutch release and acceleration

It wont show up anywhere , except for the smell. It is bad for the clutch, but as long as you dont do it regularly, shouldn't be too much of a problem
Ah greenhorn, thanks a lot for your prompt reply. It's a great relief for me. When I took over from my Papa, I felt that changing gear was not that much smooth. So you didn't have any problem and need not change the clutch plate quite soon, right?
crosscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 00:08   #122
Senior - BHPian

I'm told that with proper care , the plates should last ~ 1L Km. And I haven't faced any new issues after the incident....
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 13:11   #123
Senior - BHPian

hi crosscap - these things happen, just take care not to get used to it

and i am guessing since you havnt filled her up even once, you may not have dont the 1st service? if not - get the clutch play adjusted during the 1st service. the gear should get smoother.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 23:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
hi crosscap - these things happen, just take care not to get used to it

and i am guessing since you havnt filled her up even once, you may not have dont the 1st service? if not - get the clutch play adjusted during the 1st service. the gear should get smoother.
svsantosh, greenhorn thanks for your valuable feedbacks.

Yes, I haven't yet filled her up. But I am soon going to do so. When should I fill her up? As soon as the fuel gauge touches the red mark? If so, I should deduct ~10 litres from the full capacity(42 litres) of the tank to calculate the FE, right?

svsantosh, can I get the clutch plate adjusted during my first service? I heard that to fix the clutch plate one has to take the engine out and the mechanic can only access the clutch plate. Have you done so?
Old 10th July 2008, 10:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

changed plate once on my alto - engine neednt be removed. One needs to jack up the car, remove nearly all the drive components depending on the position of the clutch assy and front axle and one can easily access the clutch assembly cover. But done worry about it now, this is done ONLY for plate change - clutch play adj is as simple as tightening the brake nut on your bikes front or rear brakes (wired one's, not the disk's). But all said - play adj needs a careful hand - so leave it to the experts, too less slack can burn out the clutch in a few days literally. More Slack/Play, can cause difficulty in engaging the gears - something you are experiencing now.

PS- bend over the front bumper ..almost lie on your 4 limbs- and ask your dad to press/release the clutch a few times - you will note a cable moving back and forth - somewhere near the front left wheel axle. The end of the cable will have a nut - thats the one that needs to be adjusted carefully.

And regd the top-up of petrol - do it ASAP when you hit the red mark. In one my posts I noted that - after I hit the red mark, the CS tank holds approx 6-7Lts of fuel; thats including the fuel in the tube leading upto the tank - so thats asking for trouble.

Please tank up well before the red LED glowing mark and little below half tank. timing as someone noted - do it early in the morning when the fuel is more dense (aka - more qty). I dont really care - just make sure you do it in a clean and (air) dust free pump and stick to one bunk if possible. I think you should be going for premium fuel for Euro3 right? check the manual once. DONT start adding fuel additives this early - thats what i learnt from friends here...

----------CALCULATION----------

sorry, just saw your words, to calculate I am sorry you cant do it right now. Fill her up now - shake shake and fill her to BRIM. Close her tight - and remember to set the TRIP meter to ZERO. Drive around a bit - say half tank and fill her again. The Kms you travel from now to the next fill i.e the trip meter / Divided by the liters, is the FE you have.

For right now, do you know the exact petrol you filled from DAY1. You cant be sure, coz I think showroom gave you some and did you dry her up once??? If so, how much did you refill her last time? If its 10Lts then, when you fill her now subtract 10 (dry condition) to get the right FE.

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th July 2008 at 10:44.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:54   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> get the clutch play adjusted during the 1st service.

Rough guess for the clutch play - your brake and clutch pedals should be level normally. If not, adjust so that the clutch pedal is level with the brake pedal.

> When should I fill her up? As soon as the fuel gauge touches the red mark?

If you have the habit of filling a full tank, please fill it at half or at the east when it is quarter tank. Don't wait until it is too low. Modern fule pumps need a quantity of fuel in the tank to operate properly. The lower the fuel in the tank, the more chances of the pump drawing any debris in the floor of the tank to be sucked in by the fuel pump.

Mileage check best done with brim to brim method!

Last edited by trrk : 11th July 2008 at 15:58.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 00:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:
changed plate once on my alto - engine neednt be removed. One needs to jack up the car, remove nearly all the drive components depending on the position of the clutch assy and front axle and one can easily access the clutch assembly cover. But done worry about it now, this is done ONLY for plate change - clutch play adj is as simple as tightening the brake nut on your bikes front or rear brakes (wired one's, not the disk's). But all said - play adj needs a careful hand - so leave it to the experts, too less slack can burn out the clutch in a few days literally. More Slack/Play, can cause difficulty in engaging the gears - something you are experiencing now.

PS- bend over the front bumper ..almost lie on your 4 limbs- and ask your dad to press/release the clutch a few times - you will note a cable moving back and forth - somewhere near the front left wheel axle. The end of the cable will have a nut - thats the one that needs to be adjusted carefully.
Great post svsantosh. I learnt a lot from it. Fortunately, I hope it's nothing serious with the clutch plate. I didn't get any burnt smell from the next day onwards; neither do I have any problems engaging the gear. Moreover, the clucth doesn't feel to be too tight or too loose. It's exactly like day 1 when I drove it home from the dealer's place.

Quote:
And regd the top-up of petrol - do it ASAP when you hit the red mark. In one my posts I noted that - after I hit the red mark, the CS tank holds approx 6-7Lts of fuel; thats including the fuel in the tube leading upto the tank - so thats asking for trouble.
I'll do it soon. Thanks for all the tips.

Quote:
Please tank up well before the red LED glowing mark and little below half tank. timing as someone noted - do it early in the morning when the fuel is more dense (aka - more qty). I dont really care - just make sure you do it in a clean and (air) dust free pump and stick to one bunk if possible. I think you should be going for premium fuel for Euro3 right? check the manual once. DONT start adding fuel additives this early - thats what i learnt from friends here...
No, I didn't add any additives.

----------CALCULATION----------

Quote:
sorry, just saw your words, to calculate I am sorry you cant do it right now. Fill her up now - shake shake and fill her to BRIM. Close her tight - and remember to set the TRIP meter to ZERO. Drive around a bit - say half tank and fill her again. The Kms you travel from now to the next fill i.e the trip meter / Divided by the liters, is the FE you have.
Okay. That's a great way to calculate FE.

Quote:
For right now, do you know the exact petrol you filled from DAY1. You cant be sure, coz I think showroom gave you some and did you dry her up once??? If so, how much did you refill her last time? If its 10Lts then, when you fill her now subtract 10 (dry condition) to get the right FE.
This is an excellent point. Will it hamper the FE? First, the dealer filled her up at HP. I think I got Power. Then when I dried her up, the mechanic got 5 litres of fuel from local Indian Oil station. I didn't ask which brand did he go for. I was a bit tense. Now again when I topped her up, I went to a HP gas station and filled her up with Power. This time she took almost 37 litres. It means that I had dried her up almost completely which might have affected the fuel filter or the system(since the total capacity of the tank is 42 litres). I heard that particular HP station is not so reliable. I had been advised to visit a reliable Indian Oil station which I will head for tomorrow. As I have already hit below the red mark once again, my plan is to fill her up 1-2 litres from the local HP station and then head towards that Indian Oil station, which roughly 10 km away from my place. I don't to gamble this time; I might again dry her up if I don't feel her up with those extra 1-2 litres from the HP station. Does it sound good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
If you have the habit of filling a full tank, please fill it at half or at the east when it is quarter tank. Don't wait until it is too low. Modern fule pumps need a quantity of fuel in the tank to operate properly. The lower the fuel in the tank, the more chances of the pump drawing any debris in the floor of the tank to be sucked in by the fuel pump.

Mileage check best done with brim to brim method!
This is also a great way to calculate the FE efficiently. Thanks for the tip trrk.

Last edited by crosscap : 12th July 2008 at 00:53.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:40   #128
BANNED

crosscap, stick to the tankful to tankful method and top up each time the fuel gauge hits the half or quarter mark (which I used to do but avoid these days).

As of 37 litres going in, I have once filled in 35 litres in my Indica (37 litre capacity) but I was pushing my luck.

Don't worry about the clutch - a one-off instance will not harm it.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 22:30   #129
BHPian

Default A rough estimate for FE

Today I filled up my Indigo CS once more. I read the distance traveled from odometer. Lat time, I didn't set the tripmeter to zero. Initial reading of the odo = 307 km, final reading = 610 km. Fuel consumed = 33.26 litres. So the rough mileage is 9.11 litres strictly within city with AC on all the time. My average speed was within 25-30 km/hr.
I know that this data is not so impressive, so that I can convince svsantosh's friend to buy the petrol version of this car. However, I need some more time to come up with some reliable data. First, I need to find a reliable set of gas stations and believe me friends, it's really very hard to find even a few. Even Maruti owners have tough time to get good mileage within Allahabad. Second, I have to improve upon my driving habits. Even when the speed drops below 20 km, for example, I happily drive in 3rd gear since CS does not complain about it; no sound nothing; only I feel that I have to press the gas pedal a bit more.

Saying that, I must confess that I am not at all depressed. On the contrary, I am liking my car more day by day. I like its stability and handling when I overtake within a very narrow space even when I am driving at 35-40 km/hr. It's meant for highway driving. Once I am on 4th and 5th gears, it sails so smoothly that it's hard to believe that I have already hit the 60 km on speedometer. I need more time to come up with some more reliable FE data. Let me fill her up two times more; then I can come up with an average mileage.

svsantosh, though I should not compare mine with you but how much mileage do you get strictly within city with AC on most of the times? This is just out of curiosity to have a comparative study of the petrol and diesel engines from Tata's stable.
Old 12th July 2008, 23:06   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
So the rough mileage is 9.11 litres strictly within city with AC on all the time. My average speed was within 25-30 km/hr.
Absolutely normal, crosscap. What you have quoted is realistic. Some advice from me - don't worry about mileage for the first 5000 km (if that's too much, try 1000 km). Just remember the running-in tips I shared.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

indica petrols usually have less mileage. I get 13-14 ( same engine as svsantosh's CS)
and a friend's xeta GLS ( 1.2 engine) gets 12-12.5 tops
Old 12th July 2008, 23:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Absolutely normal, crosscap. What you have quoted is realistic. Some advice from me - don't worry about mileage for the first 5000 km (if that's too much, try 1000 km). Just remember the running-in tips I shared.
Yes hrag, I try to stick to your advice as much as I can. Sometime in a congested road where cyclists, bulls share roads with cars, I upshift quite quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
indica petrols usually have less mileage. I get 13-14 ( same engine as svsantosh's CS) and a friend's xeta GLS ( 1.2 engine) gets 12-12.5 tops
Okay. Are these data for city driving only?

Last edited by crosscap : 12th July 2008 at 23:40.
Old 12th July 2008, 23:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

I'll have to check with him. and my mileage is pretty much the lowest you get. most people get 15~18
Old 13th July 2008, 09:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
rough mileage is 9.11 litres strictly within city with AC on all the time. My average speed was within 25-30 km/hr.
ok since you filled her now - wait for the next fill - and try to avoid the 1-2 lts filling - remember petrol engine takes a lot more Kms to Run-in, diesel also needs, but doesnt affeect as much as petrol ones.

Quote:
I know that this data is not so impressive, so that I can convince svsantosh's friend to buy the petrol version of this car.
LOL - dont worry i took care of that, meaning -for just 50K more he is going for the TDI one, why take risk when a liter is @ 60Rs and looking to go higher...

Quote:
....... very narrow space even when I am driving at 35-40 km/hr. It's meant for highway driving. Once I am on 4th and 5th gears, it sails so smoothly that .......
stick to the company recomended speeds sticker just above your line of sight on the windscreen. it really works...

i drive at 0 10 20 40 50 - meaning 1 2 3 4 5 gears are changed at these speeds (Note - 2-3 shows the problem with the city character of the TDI)

Quote:
svsantosh, though I should not compare mine with you but how much mileage do you get strictly within city with AC on most of the times? This is just out of curiosity to have a comparative study of the petrol and diesel engines from Tata's stable.
16 +/- in the worst conditions - just hold on for a few hours - am driving out this sunday morn to fill 'er up, I did not do it last wkend. I will tell you REAL city driving for a tankful and daily use.

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th July 2008 at 10:03.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:46   #135
Senior - BHPian

crosscap - back from sunday drive - 15.25kmpl 80% city 1 2 3 gears .Never could go beyond 50-60 in the remaining 4 5th gear sections.