Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st May 2008, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal! Excellent choice of Car & Color! Enjoy the ride!

Autocop, all Palio MJDs sport the new Red Fiat badge, but Stile 1.1 & 1.6 still have the earlier blue badge.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 19:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car, ittiam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
I saw brand new furnace RED palio SDX in my apartment parking lot with BLUE logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Autocop, all Palio MJDs sport the new Red Fiat badge, but Stile 1.1 & 1.6 still have the earlier blue badge.
The SDX is a variant of the multijet Palio, isn't it? So it should be having the red logo.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 20:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! It seem each one buying a Palio JTD is a member of this forum. Palio sales have not been affected really eevn by the arrival of the JTD.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 20:35   #19

Thanks everyone. Vignesh, thanks for the advice.

autocop, MJD's have red logo, unless it came off and you lost it, and local dealer fit a blue one for the lack of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
IMO, if your budget is above Rs 6 lakhs, you have many more options. E.g. Logan diesel, Getz D, Safari and Fiesta & Fusion diesel.
Well, I wanted to write about all of these. Thought it'd be too much.

Logan was ruled out for looks. It wasn't inspiring at all.

Safari was not too difficult to drive in city as such. Think about finding a parking slot (Bangalore) and the iterations you might have make to get right alignment to squeeze in.

Getz was ruled out because of dealers lack of interest to sell it. I feel they just have it in their portfolio for the sake of it. No TD car. They want me to drive some customer car inside the work shop. No way. They failed to sell me.

Fiesta was elegant. But, secretly I was worried that it could look dated very soon (same holds for fusion). That was not the main reason though. Looking at the specs, they are underpowered compared to MJD (68 bhp/160 Nm vs 75/184). Also, reviews mentioned about their sluggishness. After looking at MJD and VDI, it was hard to compromise on power despite paying so much more for these cars. Also, did not hear good things about ford maintenance (expensive). Hence I did not venture in ford's arena.
ittiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiam View Post
autocop, MJD's have red logo, unless it came off and you lost it, and local dealer fit a blue one for the lack of stock.
Correct. I fail to understand why the Red Logo is not standard on the petrol models. Even the logo on my wheelcaps are the red ones.

Quote:
.....the iterations you might have make to get right alignment to squeeze in.
Had to do that with my car initially too. Have realised that reversing into the slot is (somehow, inexplicably) easire than going straight into one.

Quote:
Looking at the specs, they are underpowered compared to MJD (68 bhp/160 Nm vs 75/184).
True. I realise in the everyday scenario that this car is more powerful than many diesel sedans like the Indigo and the Fiesta as well as as good or better than some petrols, like Ikon 1.3 and NHC.

Problems I have faced:
1. Your parcel tray might rattle. Could be the only thing rattling in the car. Put foam tape (only Foam Tape) all around the pivots on both sides and squeeze the tray back into its slot! Solved! (he he, for weeks this was only thing in my car that was making noise, even the engine noise had reduced noticeably. Even Vivek Auto couldn't fix it!)

2. Tyres (or Tires, for the Amreekans). If you have the budget, change them, please! While the stock GoodYear Tubeless R13-165/80 are good for comfort, they don't allow you to enjoy the handling of this car to the fullest. And get Alloys.

Try to get the Palio 1.6 Fiat alloys as they look smashing IMO (although they are no longer made in India by Aura, they come from Brazil, and a set of 5 is reported to be some 25-30k)! Also try for an upsize.

3. Service. Ensure that the guy who's been trained on MJD only services your car. Read my First Service experience on my thread and you will know why!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Congrats man!!! Good choice.
rao_battula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Just one doubt. Some of the Palio Diesels i've seen have an orange rear indicator lens, while others have clear white ones. Why the difference??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

Had to do that with my car initially too. Have realised that reversing into the slot is (somehow, inexplicably) easire than going straight into one.

Is it something to do with the rear wheel differential?

You are able to make a tighter turn going backwards

I have not tried this but am planning to.

I think if one did a 360 degree *reverse* turn in the Palio the rear wheels will make a smaller circle than the front wheels.

if we did the same turn going forward the rear wheel will pretty much follow the front wheels.

I guess fiat thinks people need to make tight turns in parking lots and on the road prefer the rear tires to follow the front wheel tracks.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Dealer did claim that MJD has 5th generation engine and DDIS had an older version. I did not care much. (Someone also said that swift has JTD, sounded like BS to me.)

I am not a Guru, but i think this is all marketing and positioning BS.

The Fiat url below calls the current multijet engine as

MultiJet Second Generation of Fiat Common Rail Diesel engines

no mention of JTD.

I assume GM licensed the 1st gen common rails(JTD) to Suzuki while Fiat made their own alterations to the JTD to get the multijet

Qoute Begins (from the wikipedia page)
JTD (uniJet Turbo Diesel) is Fiat Group's term for its current common rail turbodiesel engine range. The MultiJet name is used in the second generation JTD common rail units. Most of the Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia range has JTD engines. Ownership of some Fiat JTD designs is shared with General Motors as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two auto conglomerates. GM Powertrain Europe group in Turin, Italy manages their interest in these engines. Some PSA Group's diesels are also rebadged as JTD.
The Multijet 75 PS version was chosen in 2005 as the International Engine of the Year in the 1-litre to 1.4-litre category.
a 75 PS (74 hp/55 kW) (used in the Fiat Punto, Panda, Palio / Albea, Fiat Idea, Opel Corsa / Combo, Opel Meriva and Suzuki Swift)

Quote ends
the last entry is kinda weird cause i thought the Swift diesel was 79PS or something.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on your new buy. Just one doubt. Some of the Palio Diesels i've seen have an orange rear indicator lens, while others have clear white ones. Why the difference??
I thought petrols have orange lens and diesels have clear lens. I've observed this consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/aadiatplay.html"
AadiAtPlay[/url]]the last entry is kinda weird cause i thought the Swift diesel was 79PS or something.
Nope. Swift is 75 bhp. Torque is high though (190Nm @ 2,000rpm).
ittiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
Is it something to do with the rear wheel differential?

You are able to make a tighter turn going backwards

I have not tried this but am planning to.

I think if one did a 360 degree *reverse* turn in the Palio the rear wheels will make a smaller circle than the front wheels.

if we did the same turn going forward the rear wheel will pretty much follow the front wheels.

I guess fiat thinks people need to make tight turns in parking lots and on the road prefer the rear tires to follow the front wheel tracks.
What you say may be right, but thats not the reason why reversing your way into a parking space is easier than driving into one.

Steering controls only the front wheels. So when you are reversing and turning, the inner rear wheel acts as a pivot around which the rest of the car revolves, while you control the amount of turn using front wheels.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Swift is 75 bhp. Torque is high though (190Nm @ 2,000rpm).
Thanks for that correction, so is there any difference in the DDIS and MJD - the confusion continues...
Ittiam, i think this got accidentally deleted when i was revising my first post; Congratulations on a Great Choice !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Steering controls only the front wheels. So when you are reversing and turning, the inner rear wheel acts as a pivot around which the rest of the car revolves, while you control the amount of turn using front wheels.
Of course that is true and that is why reversing the rear wheel will make a tighter turn but why is it so painfully obvious on a Palio and not on other hatches?

My Guess (and i could be horribly wrong here): Could it be that the Petra was designed first and then boot chopped of get the Palio instead of the other way round (as in swift/dezire indica/indigo may be), because the only people i see doing reverse parking thing regularly are the SX4s and Vernas in my apartment complex.
Old 24th May 2008, 10:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
First of congrats for going for the beauty!

I read on this forum that FIAT will sport its new RED logo with PALIO MJDs.
About 3-4 weeks back I TDed a palio MJD from Shaman and it had red logo. Suprisingly last week I saw brand new furnace RED palio SDX in my apartment parking lot with BLUE logo. But if you care for the new logo, please check it out before taking delivery.
Just wanted to bring to everyones attention that I have seen the same in Chennai as well. People who are particular about the logo color do check in advance
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
Thanks for that correction, so is there any difference in the DDIS and MJD - the confusion continues...
There is only a slight difference in the specifications.

Swift has 75 bhp and 190 Nm of torque.
Palio has 73.9 bhp (75 PS) and 184 Nm of torque.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Congratulations!

Nice car colour and choice.
Very adventurors decesion making from your side.
Please post pictures of your new car when possible.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote