Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th January 2009, 11:30   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

The radiator cap could be a problem with not keeping enough pressure.
I don't think it's the radiator cap, got my machanic to check the same, I think the general comsumption of coolent in the Isuzu petrol is a bit on the high side and this is what my machanic also believes is the case.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 11:59   #92
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I think the general comsumption of coolent in the Isuzu petrol is a bit on the high side and this is what my machanic also believes is the case.
Could be! the only consumption in the coolant's case is evaporation of the water part. If there is an air gap in the between the radiator and the coolant reservoir, the return of the coolant to the radiator when it cools is not effective and would result in coolant loss.

I had a Contessa with this engine and I don't remember it having any excess coolant consumption.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 08:51   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Could be! the only consumption in the coolant's case is evaporation of the water part. If there is an air gap in the between the radiator and the coolant reservoir, the return of the coolant to the radiator when it cools is not effective and would result in coolant loss.

I had a Contessa with this engine and I don't remember it having any excess coolant consumption.
Just checked the coolent level, it's holding fine now, hardly any drop after a week and 150 - 200 km's. The change in the 2 horse pipes seems to have done the trick.
Old 16th January 2009, 09:15   #94
Team-BHP Support

Check for leaks. The hose pipes could be worn out.
It's been more than 12 years and no excessive coolant consumption issue in my Conti.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 07:45   #95
BHPian

Default 6k up and all good.

Dear All,

As all are aware, weather people read my tread or not I keep updating this thread every 500 to 1000 km's and this is one such moment where I have just completed 6k km's on my Avigo. I hope this tread will give people more insight to the ownership expirence of a 1.8 Isuzu Petrol Amby.

The car has been niggles free as usual, the only thing I got done was wheel alignment which costed me Rs 300/-.

I feel the time has come to change the break pads up front and break shoes at the back, as the car has completed 30k on the odo, where 6k has been with me, so this is on my todo list now, and will probally get done before I reach the next 1k mark.

Both my headlights were changed, during my 6k of ownership and the biggest problem with the Avigo series, is to get the headlight beam to align, it's got a system of screws todo the same, but they could not slove my problem, where the beam is going skywards, I probally will have to take out the headlights and fix the problem.

The car still averages between 7.5 to 8 kmpl, with 100% AC and all city, I can feel this car is safocated in the city and really wants to hit the open roads, the moment the car get's to be between 80-100 km per hr, it is at it's happiest.

I also feel like keeping a driver, as the real comfort zone in the Amby is sitting in the backseat and being driven, however 2 things keeps me away from doing so, first is the lack of confidence with a driver maintaing the car and second is the recent down turn in the economy, where everybody seems to be effected in someway of another, and I'm no exception.

The 1.8 heart is quite torque as well, one can actually not use the accelator in each gear, simply put the car in first then leave the clutch do the same with all other gears and the car will simple keep rolling and picking up speed, without any accelaration from the drivers end.

Oh, I almost forgot, the only customisation, I have done so far is the drivers seat, where I have made some changes so that it can go back by about 3 inches extra when pushed all the way back. I have also been toying with the idea of adjusting the height of the seat, but havn't made any changes so far. I like keeping the car stock and don't like making many changes, even the pushback change is made in such a way that it can be reverted back to it's original state in no time.

The other good thing about the Amby is the ability to soak up bumps and other small abmormalities on the road with ease, especailly speeds above 40 km's per hr, the ride improves with speed and it just glides over bad roads. I had recently gone on the outskits to the city to check out a small peice of land and I could see a Lancer struggling behind me, where I was crusing, the Lancer was crawling.

Now, the Amby has some negatives as well, I find the whole positioning for the way in which the driver sits is wrong from the streeing wheel to the seats to the pedels. This is the only gripe I seem to be having from day one, whoever disigned the car, din't put any though in the whole driving position comfort critirea. In an Amby all others seem to enjoy the ride and seating, especially the passengers at the back, but it is the driver who never get's comfortable, I don't know if this is the case only with me as I'm quite big frame wise and heavy weight wise, but yes, a little more though into driver comfort would have made this car much better, the Contessa with the same engine option that I had never had this problem, I so regret selling my Contessa, it was one hell of a car and the best looking Contessa on Kolkata roads.

Lately, I have been considering selling off my Amby and going in for a small car like spark ( I seem to like the Spark for some strange reason), but deep down, I know it's a stupid idea. It's just that these mordern cars are soo easy to drive, while the Amby is old worldly and brute compared to mordern small cars, but give it an open road and it'll shine. My wife really likes the Amby Avigo looks and the space inside, and feels that a Spark is really a no comparision, she rubbishes the whole idea of selling the Amby for the Spark and says I off my head to be doing so, this I think again goes to prove the point, that in an Amby the occupents enjoy more than the driver.

All in all no regrets buying the Bull. It is worth evey penny I put in.
Old 15th February 2009, 08:12   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, the Amby has some negatives as well, I find the whole positioning for the way in which the driver sits is wrong from the streeing wheel to the seats to the pedels.
Solutions for this I've mentioned here before (post #64). Add to that you can replace your clutch/brake/accelerator setup. It can be obtained from Contessa. Check out in Mallik Bazaar and you can possibly pick up a set for nothing. Discuss with your mechanic. It's not a very big job.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 09:12   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Solutions for this I've mentioned here before (post #64). Add to that you can replace your clutch/brake/accelerator setup. It can be obtained from Contessa. Check out in Mallik Bazaar and you can possibly pick up a set for nothing. Discuss with your mechanic. It's not a very big job.
Rudra Sir, I definietly going to put some serious thoughts to your suggestions and see if I can improve the driving position.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:47   #98
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
..... is to get the headlight beam to align, it's got a system of screws todo the same, but they could not slove my problem, where the beam is going skywards, I probally will have to take out the headlights and fix the problem.
Great thread, musicmanaman! From one amby lover to another, hats off sir.

I have some experience with focusing the headlamps. If I may suggest,

- do it yourself...only you know exactly how you need the lights to be
- when its dark, park the car on level ground about 15 feet away from a wall, and keep the headlights on with the engine running!
- Each of those screws pulls the beam towards its own direction, when you tighten the screw.
- Alternately, the screw releases this pull when you loosen it. But this 'give' then needs to be compensated by tightening a screw on the other side

E.g.: Say the headlight is hitting too far to the right. Loosen the screws on the right of the headlamp (your left when you are facing the car to do this). Then, tighten the screws on the left of the headlamp (your right). This adjusts the beam towards the left.

This mechanism is an age-old Amby puzzle. In the original (Mark I, II, III, IV, Nova, etc.) round lamps, there were only 4 screws, one each to the North, South, East, and West corners of the headlamp assembly. With passing years, the number of screws seem to have increased exponentially!

Despite its complexity, the Amby's headlamps is one of the best out there, because of its size and also its height in relation to the road and your driving position. The focusing is especially difficult, but is one of the most rewarding amongst the cars available today. Reason: Most cars come with fixed directional beams with a 14 - 18% slant from straight-ho, and you can only adjust the height of the beam.

You should also invest in some really good bulbs (100/90 W Hellas) fixed with a cutout and better wiring. Your headlamp unit can take this as its glass-encased. Most of the newer headlamps (incl. my Petra's) get clouded and dull after a few years because the housing is plastic and often can't take the extra heat from higher wattage bulbs.

Happy motoring, mate!
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 17:47   #99
BHPian

[quote=Ice;1176148]
This mechanism is an age-old Amby puzzle. In the original (Mark I, II, III, IV, Nova, etc.) round lamps, there were only 4 screws, one each to the North, South, East, and West corners of the headlamp assembly. With passing years, the number of screws seem to have increased exponentially!
[quote]

Thanks Ice for the advice, I have the Avigo series, and it's the only Amby with a different set of headlights compared to all other Amby's and the way it is designed is also different. But I shall try what you have suggested with the system.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 17th February 2009 at 17:49.
Old 22nd February 2009, 18:19   #100
BHPian

Default Small Update

Hi All,

There was some screechig noise coming from the fan belt, upon investigation my machanic discovered that the fan belt was loose and that my AC compressor was hanging by a single bolt. Now in the Amby a single belt drives the Fan, AC Compressor and the Power steering. The AC compressor is supposed to be held in place by 3 bolts, 1 was in place, 1 had fallen off and the last one was the complex one, the head of the both had broken and fallen off and the remaming of the bolt was inside the grove.

My machanic told me to come in next day, and the car needs to be taken to a lath shope for the head less nut to be removed. I followed the same up the next day and went to the lath shope with the best worker at my machanic's place.

The worker, removed the radiator, the AC Compressor was not removed to avoid the AC gas leaking out. The other stuff that needed to be removed was the small water tank holding the wind screen wiper water and horn's.
My heart was in my mouth as the lath guy came up to weld a temprorary nut head to the remaining of the nut that was stuck without the head, but the guy did it, even though the nut was in such a complex inaccessable place, and about 3 hrs of labour went in for a single head less nut to be removed and new nut to be put in, we discovered a small leak in the radiator as well, which was welded and fixed, Everything went smooth in the end and car was back to normal and smoother than ever.

Later in the day we polished the car, the next day I also went and throughly got my engine bay cleaned, now the car is all shiny.
The total damage for such a complex job along with polish and engine bay cleaning was Rs 1200/-. Me happy.

The next thing on my todo list as mentioned earlier is my break pad upfront and break shoes at the back. All in all, good learning expirence and the car is back to normal.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 22nd February 2009 at 18:24.
Old 30th March 2009, 08:31   #101
BHPian

Default 7k in 10 months and all good.

Hi All,
7k up in 10 months and all good. The car has been running fine, without any niggles.

I have noticed yesterday, that I have to change my viper blades and one of the nossil's for the wind screen water sprayer is blocked, minor issues I suppose due to non usage from my end. Will get these fixed in the next couple of days.

The FE I get is 7.5 kmpl with 100% AC at all times and 100% city use, and I don't switch off the car at signals, weather it's 1 min or 10 min's.
The AC as usual is performing fantastic, and this is my favorate part, I'm one of those for whom a good AC in a car is a must.

Have had to do a lot of air port trips lately, and that's when I realised how the Amby is able to gulp up the luggag and still accomodate 5 people with ease, could not have done the same in a small Hatch.

All in all still very happy with my bull.
Old 30th March 2009, 08:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

good update, musicmanaman. I would be interested to know about the high speed handling and braking setup on your car. I mean speeds above 140 clicks.

cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 09:16   #103
BHPian

hi musicmanaman, its nice to know that there are some who are still in love with the old beauties.

Obviously the new cars are more reliable but lack character which the amby has oodles of.

More or less like the bullet of cars .

how about making a summary of the maintenance total cost since you purchased it .

Btw I dont think its a very good idea to give your mechanic more money than what he bills for the labour.Gradually he might get smarter and start billing you "extra".
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 10:43   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
good update, musicmanaman. I would be interested to know about the high speed handling and braking setup on your car. I mean speeds above 140 clicks.

cheers
The max I have done so far is between 110-120 kmph.

Above 100 kmph I face a lot of steering whobel, had done alignment, but I guess I got to do balancing as well to eliminate the same. Braking does not feel very secure at high speeds, but again, I have to change my break shoes and pads.

This is how I feel, the car car can be pushed to 140 kmph, however it'll take a long time to get there post 120, the last 20 kmph will take a long strech of open road. However I would not recommend going beyond 110 and a safe crusing speed for this car is between 80-100 kmph.

The power in this car comes early on, unlike Jap cars. It is tourque at the buttom end and not top. This car can be done up for high speed stuff, however I like it the way it is and don't want to spend money doing it up for speed, I like keeping things in it's original state.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:45   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
hi musicmanaman, its nice to know that there are some who are still in love with the old beauties.

Obviously the new cars are more reliable but lack character which the amby has oodles of.

More or less like the bullet of cars .

how about making a summary of the maintenance total cost since you purchased it .

Btw I dont think its a very good idea to give your mechanic more money than what he bills for the labour.Gradually he might get smarter and start billing you "extra".
The Total I have spent in 10 months is 11290 /-, below is the break up.

Coolent Fill 1 liter, wheel alingment, seat stitch
Parking buld check, water wash 700
Pollution Test 100
Pollutions Test 200
Change Spark Plugs 200
Change Engine oil 860
Change Engine oil Filter 135
Change Air Filter 375
Change Gear box oil 279
Change Real Axel Oil (Differential Oil) 279
Clean throtel body 150

Change front right hand side head assembly 1310